Snowy and Fiery Pics - turn of 2013/14

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
I-AM
Family

Snowy and Fiery Pics - turn of 2013/14

Post by I-AM »

Hello everybody!

We are having a very mild winter here in Europe. It simply would not snow below 1,500m... :duh

So, it took me a while to get some decent snowy pictures. Had to visit the second highest skiing resort in my country.

Enjoy a few pictures. Taken on December 30, 2013.

And these snow the New Year fireworks in the capital city!

May 2014 be a better year than the messy 2013... :bana:
overmind
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Snowy and Fiery Pics - turn of 2013/14

Post by overmind »

Those skiing pictures are top notch. I will have to use those as wallpapers. :mrgreen:
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

overmind wrote:Those skiing pictures are top notch. I will have to use those as wallpapers. :mrgreen:
Tell me which one and what is your monitor resolution. Then give me your email address via a private message.
overmind

Post by overmind »

The resolution is fine the way it is, you don't need to go to the trouble.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Robert!!!! Happy New Year!!!! And a huge thank you for making my snow wishes come true. :bana: I was just thinking of you on New Years day and just about ready to go looking for last years pics. I still might if the website hasn't automatically deleted the thread. I would like to see the differences in snow levels because I was pretty sure those mountains are generally very white from top to bottom.

I also loved the fireworks pictures. With that gorgeous white building on the hill complimenting the fireworks! They have all a photographer could ask for with the water adding reflected colour! (color...Arthur. LOL I was just thinking about our conversation with different English spellings between countries. ;) ) Thanks Robert! You have made my day and probably most of January.

Love,
Sandy

P.S. Did I miss you? You usually show up at least once among your ski pictures? I'm sure that is not you sitting on your backside. :mrgreen:
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

Hi Sandy!

Happy New Year to you too! :hithere

Yes, there is much less snow this year. I still have the last year's pictures uploaded, so I am reposting them below. You can see for yourself.

No, I am not shown on any of the pictures. Last year's shot will have to suffice, I guess... :D

They are having a snow blizzard in the US right now. Perhaps it will bring us some snow in about 2 weeks time. Perhaps.

If not, then I'll automatically switch to a "spring mode" in mid February... :bana:

Got two last year's chilli plants behind the window. Somehow they keep blooming, although they do not grow anything. When the cloud cover is excessive, I put them under two halogen bulbs for a few hours. It obviously helps them a lot. They only need keep going for about 4-6 weeks before hitting early spring. It would be a tremendous achievement for me, to keep them alive over the winter because once there is enough sunlight, there will be ready to go. I could be having fresh produce in late April!!!

What do you think as an expert gardener? 8)

Last year's skiing shots. The same resort. (Taken December 29, 2012)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I see what you mean, Robert. There is definitely more snow last year then this year. In this years photos you actually see bare ground where last year it was all white!
I hope everybody is okay over there in the blizzard areas of the US. I was in a blizzard in March of 1993 that hit a widespread area of the Northern, middle ,upper southern and eastern US. it was the first time ever and I have to be honest, it was a little exciting. But then, I had a roof over my head, didn't have to go anywhere, was well stocked with food and the power did not go out.

Your chili pepper plants look fabulous! One would never know it was the middle of winter. It is funny you brought this up because we have a little pepper plant that survived winter outside in one of our gardens. ( Which of course, is not as difficult as it is "up there") I'm not sure what kind it is but it has little small chocolate coloured hot peppers on it. Imagine getting peppers in April! What a nice jump on the season. Well done Robert! (or am I counting your peppers before they form? ;) )

Something weird happened this week for me in the sprouting arena. I have been cutting wedges off of an apple for my rabbit and placing the apple back in the crisper drawer of the fridge in a heavy plastic bag. I noticed this week that one of the exposed seeds had actually begun to sprout in the cool darkness of the refrigerator! I kept the seed in between a damp towel as you had done and set it on the sink with every intention of planting it in a tiny cup, But unfortunately, I must have been in a mindless cleaning mode at some point and threw it away as it was nowhere to be seen. The seed probably would have resorted to the root stock, a rugged and less tasty version of the apple it came from, but it still would have been exciting for me. :?

Thanks for reposting the pictures from last year. I still think you live in one of the prettiest places on earth! :sunflower:
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.