Queen Anne's Lace and Chicory

Post any poetry here. It's just too hard to define "inspired" in this context, so we will settle for that which inspires.
Seeker13
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Seeker13 »

July 2019

Queen's Anne's Lace and Chicory
the perfect mid-summer pairing.

As if cloud wisps and splashes of blue sky drift down,
anchoring themselves beside country roads.

A treat for the eyes, balm for the soul.
Blossoms, prancing ballerinas on the wind.

Amazing how the warmest, driest days
can be filled with flight and fancy.

Miles and miles of delight,
this feeling should be set to music, I'm thinking,

A lesson in there somewhere?

Perhaps, the same can be said for a journey along any road,...or path,
“Remember to appreciate the gifts given along the way.”

Queen Anne's Lace and Chicory,
the perfect mid-summer pairing.

Kim
And Spirit whispered, "There are no limits."

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Queen Anne's Lace and Chicory

Post by Sandy »

Ah.... love this poem much like a breezy summer day of childhood! :sunflower: Because that is what it reminds me of...
Thanks Kim.... I will do this...
Perhaps, the same can be said for a journey along any road,...or path,
“Remember to appreciate the gifts given along the way.”

Your poem reminded me of a poem I read from our Childcraft poems for children volume 1 as a wee one...

https://statuv.com/media/847380486112137568/

I never forgot this poem of the inspiring illustration. Maybe that is the beauty of poetry. it easily attaches to your insides coming to the fore at the slightest provocation. ...and like in this case make you feel the joy of being 5 again. :D

Hugs,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

Sandy,
Chicory is my absolute favorite wild flower, has been since I was kid. Queen Anne's lace is so delicate and intricate, but smells horrific, best to be adored from afar! After reading Braiding Sweetgrass, the author shared her vision of asters and goldenrod, seems I'm more aware of plants that bloom at the same time and compliment each other. Hey! You should see the crop of pumpkins, corn and beans I've got coming up! Planted them together because of that book.
Sandy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:08 amMaybe that is the beauty of poetry. it easily attaches to your insides coming to the fore at the slightest provocation. ...and like in this case make you feel the joy of being 5 again.
I think you've got something there! Reading my own poetry takes me back to the same place and time for which it was written, like reliving a memory.

I've never heard Queen Anne's Lace, do you know Winkin Blinkin and Nod? I loved that one!

Here's to poetry and books that inspire us to relive happy days!
Kim

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Morning Kim,
I've never heard Queen Anne's Lace, do you know Winkin Blinkin and Nod? I loved that one!
Oh yes, that was one of my favourites too! Captain Kangaroo (your remember him? He was a master story teller and would do these amazing skit like things to poems and children's books. I can still hear him reading, "Caps for Sale." I remember his rendition of Winking Blinkin and Nod. Also was in my beloved Child Craft.
How I would love to have that book again.
Memories will have to suffice. :D

Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

Sandy,
Think I have at least two copies of Caps For Sale, you are certainly welcome to one of them! There are so many stories that have warmed my heart over the years. Reading to my kids were marathon events in this house! We couldn't be done until mom lost her voice. Everyone in our family is still nuts about books. It's most exciting seeing the love of literature continuing on with the next generation. To this day, if I leave a favorite children's book on the counter, every single one of my kids will stop and read it before passing by. I remember one time I was reading one of the Harry Potter books to Aleah(read the whole series, mostly out loud, four times), Ken, Dan and Rachel were all about to go out for the night, but stopped and sat down until I finished reading.

Ah, so many wonderful stories out there, The Oxcart Man, The Giving Tree, Roxaboxen, When The Relatives came, … not to mention the chapter books!... Oh no, you've got me started on another tangent again!

Love,
Kim

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hey Kim,

Now you have me thinking about my beloved children's books as well... This one was a book that surfaced when my kids were we ones... Do you remember the parent's guaranteed "tear jerker", "Love you Forever"? Ai yi yi I am tearing up just remembering the title.

There was another favourite, not as well known as Caps for sale" but I adored it. It was Miss Suzy ... https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/652386.Miss_Suzy

about a little gray squirrel who lived "at the tip tip top of a tall oak tree." :D
Think I have at least two copies of Caps For Sale, you are certainly welcome to one of them!
Ah that is so sweet of you. But I have a copy in the attic of my parent's house. I couldn't part with any of the children's books I accumulated while working at the preschool. (Scholastic book club... need I say more LOL) I wanted to keep them safe so I didn't bring them with me to Australia. Is there anything sadder then a children's book gathering dust? :(

George and I are much like you, always pausing by children's book stacked for sale, reading at least one or two and often laughing out loud.
We saw a book a couple years ago around Halloween in a pop up book stall and sadly didn't buy it at the time and I haven't been able to find it since. This is mostly because I can't remember the title and author. I don't know if you would recognise it... it was about what seems a little boy( You don't actually see him or his parents) who is in his bed complaining that there's a monster in the room. He must avoid bedtime frequently as the parents seem used to reasoning with him. But the cute thing and surprise ending is that it is, in fact, the main characters are what we would call monsters and the little monster is worried about a little human boy in his room. :lol: It was brilliantly done. So if you or anyone else has any idea of the title of this book and author I would be much appreciative. My grandsons would love it!

It sounds like you are a master story teller yourself, Kim. It is a rare art to ensnare adult children as you do.
So glad to call you, "my friend."
hugs,
Sandy
Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

Sandy(again!),
I give 'I'll Love You Forever' to every new mom! :cry: even have a tune for the song.
Sandy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:04 amIs there anything sadder then a children's book gathering dust?
There is little more sad than that. :(

Ha! Guess who was in charge of the monthly Scholastic Book orders? That book is called The Monster Bed by Jeanne Willis. It is a great book. :thumright:
Sandy wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:04 amIt sounds like you are a master story teller yourself, Kim. It is a rare art to ensnare adult children as you do. So glad to call you, "my friend. "hugs, Sandy
:| That's the sweetest thing to say, thank you... :oops: I may have three or four stories of my own about kids being afraid of the dark.

It's always been a dream of mine to be a part of a 'Circle In The Round', where storytellers gather around a bonfire reading their stories under the stars.
:loves
Kim