The Poet of Awe — by Fabiana Fondevila

Post any poetry here. It's just too hard to define "inspired" in this context, so we will settle for that which inspires.
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

This article is wonderful...
Since Whitman and Thoreau, no one had made the grass and the sky speak so eloquently, as ambassadors to the embodied sacred.
Years before Mindfulness took the world by storm, inviting us to savor the moment, Mary Oliver had long been saying things like: “Attention is our endless and proper work,” “Attention is the beginning of devotion,” and “This is the first, the wildest and the wisest thing I know: that the soul exists and is built entirely out of attentiveness.”

She didn’t say it in the way of a preacher, looking down at her flock from the pulpit. She said it at ground level, from her beloved woods in Provincetown, Massachusetts while she waited one more hour, motionless between the fronds and the mosses, for the return of that deer that had once, after a similar offer of time and patience, come up to her slowly and nuzzled her hand. There were two, in fact, and as she tells it, one said to the other:

okay,
this one is okay,
let’s see who she is
and why she is sitting

on the ground like that,
so quiet, as if
asleep, or in a dream,
but, anyway, harmless.

https://gratefulness.org/blog/the-poet-of-awe/
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: The Poet of Awe — by Fabiana Fondevila

Post by happyrain »

thank you welles, it is well written and beautifully soft. i am impressed by the intimacy of mary oliver's writings, thanks for bringing her back to my attention.
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity