Self-Compassion Over Self-Esteem — by Kristin Neff

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

The great angst of modern life is this: no matter how hard we try, no matter how successful we are, no matter how good a parent, worker, or spouse we are – it’s never enough. There is always someone richer, thinner, smarter, or more powerful, someone that makes us feel small in comparison. Failure of any kind, large or small, is unacceptable. The result: therapist’s offices, pharmaceutical companies, and the self-help aisles of bookstores are besieged by people who feel they’re not okay as they are. What to do?

One response has come in the form of the self-esteem movement. Over the years there have been literally thousands of books and magazine articles promoting self-esteem – how to get it, raise it and keep it. The pursuit of high self-esteem has become a virtual religion, but research indicates this has serious downsides. Our culture has become so competitive we need to feel special and above average just to feel okay about ourselves (being called “average” is an insult). Most people, therefore, feel compelled to create what psychologists call a “self-enhancement bias” – puffing ourselves up and putting others down so that we can feel superior in comparison. However, this constant need to feel better than our fellow human beings leads to a sense of isolation and separation. And then, once you’ve gotten high self-esteem, how do you keep it? It’s an emotional roller-coaster ride: our sense of self-worth bounces around like a ping-pong ball, rising and falling in lock-step with our latest success or failure.

One of the most insidious consequences of the self-esteem movement over the last couple of decades is the narcissism epidemic.

https://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?op=audio&tid=2517

:duh :sunflower: :sorry:
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Self-Compassion Over Self-Esteem — by Kristin Neff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Welles,

This essay makes a great deal of sense. It isn't the first hint I've gotten this week in this area and so I pay close attention.
I hope that kindness and compassion for my inner child becomes a way of life. Without a doubt I suspect my insides will be more peaceful with this eventual way of being. It is not going to happen overnight. I wish it could, but I realize that it will take some conscientious effort to break a habit of a life time. Here goes! :bana:

Thank you!
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.