The Sounds of Silence — ny Lisa Wells

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

The Sounds of Silence — ny Lisa Wells

Post by Welles »

WHEN I WAS a sixteen-year-old naturalist in training, we were instructed to sit in the forest and wait for the return of something called “the baseline symphony.” The baseline symphony was the music of a landscape at ease—the confluence of insect, bird, and animal song, underscored by wind and water. The dynamics of that symphony shifted as day progressed into night. There were brief caesuras, but it did not fall silent for long except in the case of a disturbance. Silence signaled the onset of weather events, a stalking predator, the encroachment of loggers, or the footfalls of a teenager with punk rock looping loudly in her brain. As I picked down the forest path, an unnatural quiet fell, broken only by the occasional bird alarm.

With practice, I learned to still my mind and body long enough for the baseline symphony to return. Insects would take up their strings, their song swelling like groundwater all around me. It was as if my vagus nerve were a dial, tuning me from static to a sublime frequency.

A couple of years later, I sat on a beach in Tulum at midnight, in the strangest quiet of my life. What is this place? I wondered. Then a sudden and obliterating wind sandblasted my face. I spent the next few hours holding down one side of a cabaña, and later slept on the ground beneath it in the eye of a storm. I’d forgotten a basic lesson: where there is life, silence always means.
I was fascinated by this article. Lisa describes her interactions with all sorts of silence except the internal silence necessary to hear the Divine. She is right on the edge but hasn't made the leap.

The Sounds of Silence — by Lisa Wells

https://orionmagazine.org/article/the-s ... f-silence/

:loves
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: The Sounds of Silence — ny Lisa Wells

Post by Sandy »

This was a beautifully, well written article and so true in regards to what she describes of nature. Once, long ago in my youth, I was sitting out in the hundred acre forest behind our house and I got rather sleepy and rested against a tree in a quiet drowsy state and in about a half hour I was amazed as the forest came alive around me. There was movement and noise as box turtles, lizards insects of every description birds and who knows what else felt it was safe enough finally to go about their business. Wouldn't life be even more amazing if we could always be a part of "nature's symphony"? :D

Thank you, Welles!
:sunny:
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.