The Secret

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
peacockplume
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Re: The Secret

Post by peacockplume »

Hello, hello....

First, a quick answer to Lucky,,,,Lasagna,,,,,I'll bet your Mom has some wonderful recipe books,,,,cuz once you get the basics down, there are no limits ...
ok, that's not telling you much,,,,,so get ready to spend a whole day in the kitchen. You'll need a med to large rectangle pan. A box of uncooked lasagna pasta. alot of cheese of different kinds, and a meat sauce filling, which you have to make and slow cook.
So the meat sauce you start first.....slightly brown a large diced onion,,,garlic...and a lb of lean beef extra lean is even better (or omit the beef),,,,,add a large can of diced tomatoes (after the beef is cooked up) other spices/herbs to your taste.....thyme, oregano, basil, I like a dash of tarragon. and you slow cook it...the longer the better.....and don't be afraid to add extra tomatoes (some use tomato paste, but I can't eat it - so it stays out of mine) even a bit of water if it gets too thick...
and TASTE it....you can add a dash of salt/pepper,,not much though,,,to taste.... so after a couple of hrs cooking the sauce,,,,you can cook the box of pasta, drain it well and separate each strip or it will stick together as it cools.....I think there's even a type out now that you put in the pan uncooked and it cooks up just nicely when everything is added and put in the oven. Now the cheeses,,,well there's cottage cheese, a big container, and mozza cheeze (lots).

In the pan (grease it or spray it) and put a layer of sauce in,,,,then some cheese,then cover it with pasta,,then lots of sauce, cheeses and pasta....continue to layer till you've used it all up ending with the cheese (mozza) on top. Cook in a 350 oven for an hr. and when it cools and sets, cut it up into healthy servings, individually wrap them and freeze it. (that is if there's anything left).

So now I ask all the wonderous cooks we have,,,to please add in what I haven't used....cuz I haven't cooked this for a long time....and enjoy...

love pp xoxoxo

this wasn't the post I expected to writew in here tonight,,,,but I'm done! luvs ya all :mrgreen:
Daily Affirmation:
I am alive to beauty, to laughter, to wonders within and without.
I am free to live and to enjoy life.
I accept divine presence as the fulfillment of my needs.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Sandy »

Hello Lucky,

Thank you for making the drinks today. I''l provide the goodie... how about some nice warm cheezey pretzels fresh from the oven. Hmmm... a cup of coffee will do me nicely as I think about your "lasagne needs". They really are not too terribly difficult but a little time consuming as in some recipes you cook the lasagne noodles to the El Dente stage, make the sauce and then assemble the ingredients. It is not hard, but really time consuming to make a home made sauce and with the fairly good commercial sauces you can get away with this little bit of cheating if you wish. So lets go from the assumption that you have your sauce ready, ingredients grilled or cooked in a skillet and your noodles ready to go. (Word of warning... gently stir the noodles a couple times while they are cooking...adding a tablespoon of olive oil to the water helps prevent sticking to each other and the pot bottom.) I used a 9x13 inch glass pan for mine and began by placing a third cup (or slightly more), sauce in the bottom of the pan and spreading it around evenly. I then put the first layer of noodles over the sauce. ( It took three laid out lengthwise.) Then I added my ricotta cheese smearing it over the noodles then adding the grilled stuff...mushroom, onions and peppers and any meat...hamburger pepperoni sausage etc... More cheese: parmesan or Ramona and definitely lots of shredded mozzarella. :bana: This is the personal part of lasagne...It can consist of anything you like. Next you add more sauce over the top of all that, perhaps a half a cup or so and begin the layer again...over and over until you reach the top of the pan (or slightly less as it sometimes runs over. :shock: ) You finish with a layer of noodles and plenty of sauce and cheese. I haven't baked one in five years but I think it went into the oven at 350 degrees F for around 45 minutes... Basically everything (the way I made it) was already cooked so by the time it made it to the oven it was simply to heat it all through and allow the wonderful tastes to mingle. Let it cool 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into serving size pieces.

I have a lovely recipe somewhere for a seafood lasagne made with a white alfredo sauce I believe that was just out of this world. If you would like this kind of thing let me know and I'll dig it out for you. Hope my long winded instructions helped above..

And for all you vegetarians and low carb counters...lasagne can also be made using "largish" zucchini sliced into long thin lasagne-like noodles...leaving out the meat and substituting whatever your dietary constitution allows. It is baked at the same temp and length of time as above.

I wish I could give you some of our sunshine Lucky. It has been beautiful here for nearly five days... I, as you may recall, love dreary rainy days. :roll: Must be a duck at heart...but I do get so much enjoyment from watching the birds around here splashing around and shaking their feathers in glee when we have periods of rain after bouts of dryness. I hope the sun emmerges soon and brightens your world again. In the meantime its a good time to get in the kitchen and try out some new recipes.. :bana:
:sunny:
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi PP, just saw your post...Thank you for posting about the sauce...to tell you the truth...it has been so long since I made sauce. (George doesn't handle tomatoes very well...) that I couldn't even remember how to start. :lol:

Yummy! :bana:
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
peacockplume

Post by peacockplume »

Oh thanks Sandy,,,I couldn't remember about the cheeses....or the shrooms and peppers.....probably because Allan doesn't like peppers....

looks like we have the makings of one whoppin lasagna,,,

talk later,,

luv n hugs pp xoxo
Daily Affirmation:
LurkerAbyss
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by LurkerAbyss »

Haha, thanks a lot, you ladies are the best! (((((HUGGIES))))) Sandy, if it is not too much trouble, I am actually a seafood diehard and would be very interested to find out that seafood lasagne recipe! Umm also just a question to put out there, is there such a thing as eggplant lasagne or something like that? Not that I think I'm going to do that, but I could've swore that there was something you could do with eggplant and I *think* it's a lasagne but I'm not sure.

Well Sandy, today is finally a wonderful sunny day here. And you know, I do have times where I like a rainy day myself (preferably from the comfort of my living room), but I think what gets me is when I am doing my commute in the city and it's not even raining but just blahhhh and grey out.

Sweetest to you all!

Love
Lucky
:loves
"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

Love is the Essence of the Universe
peacockplume

Post by peacockplume »

It seems to me I remember eggplant in Greek dishes....try Google! and I think you can use it like other solid veggies, such as filled zuchinni (with a meat sauce like the lasagna one) and bake it.
and the other veggies aren't coming to mind....I've been away from cooking way too long...

I only get tempted now with items like Sandy's apple cake..

luvs pp :sunflower:
Daily Affirmation:
nasra1996

Post by nasra1996 »

Oh i had a seafood cannelloni this week in an Italian restaurant, i really didn't like it, i ordered it by mistake, was suppose to order spinach and ricotta... i dont think fish really goes too well as a lasagne or cannelloni, although i have made a tuna lasagne before, as its got more of a meaty taste. It's a pain in my household as i have five girls and they all have different tastes lol, what to cook, i have no idea..... :cry:

:sunflower:
"Only from the heart Can you touch the sky" Rumi

"Righteousness strikes the harmony chords of truth and the melody vibrates throughout the cosmos, even to the recognition of the infinite." UB
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi everybody,
Oh Sarah, you have me thinking about a lovely vegetarian cannelloni I used to make but not enough that I can now remember it with the cook book and recipe lost.. (Yep, I am still complaining about my canvas bag full of cherished and lost books that now is most likely sitting at the bottom of the sea somewhere.. :? One of these days I really must get over that...) but anyway, it seems from my memory it has spinach and riccotta along with mushrooms in that too. Oh it was so good...sigh... gaining weight here just thinking about it. :) Italian food has been on my mind lately because one of the two big supermarket chains here is having sort of an Italian festival with recipes and promotions and what not...

I guess I was fortunate with my boys because they all pretty much ate what ever I fixed...which was either what I grew up with myself, Southern heritage recipes or Italian pasta types. It was interesting once my daughter-in-law came into the picture and began joining me in the kitchen...I had more fun with her and the company made it also much more enjoyable. We have some stories between us as she learned to cook that make us both giggle and laugh about... Our infamous super-shooter gelatin powder cookies... were one of em... Oh my!... were those some bright but misshapen shaped cookies... :roll: (They also turned your mouth amazing shades of deep color. :shock: )

You know, Lucky, when I was writing the bit about the zucchini it crossed my mind at the time as to whether you could use eggplant in this recipe or not. (substituting for the noodles). I know that eggplant is low in carbs and helps to thicken some low carb recipes. So I bet it would work. I may experiment with it one of these days. Have you ever eaten eggplant parmesan? Yummy! I made it myself once but must say it was nothing like what I have eaten out. I think eggplant absorbs a lot of oil and so I had difficulty getting the texture I wanted in the frypan and then in the oven.

I'll look up the seafood lasagne recipe and get it to you...I am pretty sure I have it here somewhere. :scratch:
Happy eating!
love,
Sandy
theunim
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by theunim »

Hallo Hallo!

I've got to take some time to catch up on the posts in general, but I do have a couple of things I could contribute in the meantime.

A friend of mine, when I first started to get to know her, invited me over for dinner and I helped her out. We made lasagna dishes but three different types~ with beef, with pork, and with mushrooms. But all three had spinach, too. Everything was very tasty, even if we used sauce from the jar, because honestly, there was already more than enough to do with those dishes. :shock:

I would LOVE to hear about the seafood lasagna version! I look forward to that!

Sandy, what exactly happened to the bag that ended up going into the sea? :shock:

Sorry for being out of the forum for a bit, but it's been a bit of a hectic weekend starting from being out all day on Friday and then playing catchup today...still not quite all caught up, and still working on the writing. But at least, the writing's getting done.
:loves to you all! Hope to write in here soon and get some baked goods, too...speaking of which, there's a couple of events for later this week I've got to plan for, so wish me luck on my baking endeavors concerning them. I'm planning to make cornbread and "no-work" bread, among other things. Perhaps scones, too...

Love,
Theunim
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

— Rumi

The pure love of one soul can offset the hatred of millions. ~ Gandhi
sammy

Post by sammy »

Hello All!

No yummy lasagna recipes here...I cook as little as possible these days :oops: Not really sure why - I used to LOVE to cook, but for some reason it feels too much like work these days.

I've had a crazy busy week too, T. I helped out with a local kitty shelter, one thing I got "roped" into is being in charge of the fund raising committee. It never ceases to amaze me how generous people are to animals. We are a medium sized shelter (no-kill), 100% volunteer, and 100% donation. Because we are no kill, we end up with a lot of sick kitties at our door. It costs the shelter about $100,000 per year to run between medical, kitty food and utilities (mostly medical bills). Anyway we had 2 fundraisers this weekend back to back. :roll :roll One of them required that I get up at 2am and work until 8am...then it was off for Connecticut for my nephew's 2nd birthday.

Oh I LOVE 2 year olds. I think between 18 months and 3 years old is the most fascinating age for little ones. They are so little yet SO smart. :loves :loves :loves

Well, just had to pop in and say hi :hithere ...now I have to catch up on all the house work that went by the wayside last week!

LOVE!!!!
Sammy
Love is a daily decision ~ Mom & Daddy John
LurkerAbyss
Family

Post by LurkerAbyss »

Bless you all

Sammy, I loooove little ones as well. Huge kid fan here, up to say.. 10-12 when they start becoming mean brats (jokes of course!). But seriously.. I can not get enough of kids. I never handled babies too well, I'm one of those people who never really had to deal with them too much so whenever I'm asked to hold on I'm afraid it's going to break if I touch it.. but I do love young ones when they are just learning to talk and communicate and figure out the world. Like you said Sammy.. so little yet so smart. It used to be my number one ambition to be a father one day.

I love talking with young children because it feels like there is a tenderness and an honest insightfulness (for their age) which is lost upon adults.

Love
Lucky
"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

Love is the Essence of the Universe
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

Hi guys, lasagne is the one pasta dish I don't like. I'll make it for the family, but
not really innerested in it.
I love children too. I was dreading mine reaching teenage, but so far so okay. I've
had the odd spat, with slamming of a door and "It's not faiirrr!" behind said slammed
door. Or the son and heir getting a bit lippy in French to me thinking I don't understand.
But on the whole, they still get on really well, even Thalia will get on down and play Lego
with Manny. No electronic games see? I only let them on the computer for no more than 2
hours a day. I offered Mathilda a DS for her birthday but she said she only wants a bike.
That worries me as the Corsicans drive like lunatics, Hmmm! I'll have to get one too for
nice long bike rides.
It's a funny thing here aswell, regarding animal shelters. There must one or two but generally
stray cats and dogs roam around free. The cats keep the rats away. There are loads of
neglected empty apartments where they tend to live, and the locals often put scraps out
for them. There's this one big black dog who has taken to Patch and me and the kids.
When he's with us no-one, especially men/lads can so much as approach us, he'll growl
menacingly baring yellowish teeth. Great guard dog, so he is. The restaurant beside the
apartment feeds him. Yeah, there are about 7 stray dogs and numerous kitties who get
looked after by all of the locals. When Lola (we call her that because she makes us LOL) got
injured, the vet patched her up for free, and he always does.
Sometimes it's good 'ere! :D

Big hugs to you beautiful, gorgeous people... :kiss:

Love, Pet xxxx
ॐ LOVE Petra
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hiya Pet,
With all your wonderful dishes in your repertoire, I suspect your family would never miss lasagne if you never made it again! Honestly when you describe what you are fixing for supper my taste buds start a drooling! One of these days, like Lucky said on the board (another thread I think :scratch: ) you are going to have unexpected members of your elevener family drop in on you. :lol: It sounds like I'm threatening you... ;) Still you could put me to work and maybe even teach me a few of your culinary specialties to bring home for George. Of course, the invitation is always open for you to come here and direct my kitchen efforts from the ease of a chair...wine glass in hand of course. :kiss:

I giggled at that Manifred of yours! ... Thinking you wouldn't understand his French... I suspect you showed him mother's intuition and knowledge go well beyond the language barrier. We always know...(evil laugh :mrgreen: )
I'm glad you told me about the kindness of your neighbors to these stray cats and dogs in the neighborhood. makes me feel a little better towards them despite the racial prejudiced attitudes they have inflicted on you and the kids. I guess though it is easy for me so far away and facing the heartaches of someone I love to lump everyone together creating the same kind of inward prejudice that i am chastising them for. (does that make any sense? ) anyway thinking about it and looking for ways I am masking maybe even rationalizing my own local prejudices...

Sammy you are a sweet heart... working so hard for unwanted dogs and kitties in your area. You reminds me of Barb (Lilaslight) who tirelessly helps find home for the hungry strays in her home country, Bahamas. You guys are doing light work in a much needed way! Thank you! :kiss:

Love to all of you! :kiss:
Sandy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi T,
How's the baking going?... especially the corn bread? Yum! :mrgreen: I love the stuff, especially with soups and stews... or southern style with pinto beans and chow chow relish. :lol: George has been hinting around for me to bake some. We have been allowing a few baked goods back into our diet now and I think perhpas a piece or two wouldn't hurt if the soup wasn't too heavy or fatty anyway.

You asked about my books? Well to be honest I do not know what exactly happened to them only that they didn't make it to me here in Australia. I made the mistake of shipping them by sea and I saved oodles of money by shipping via the book rate which is pretty much no frills. (a canvas bag and an inner and outer identification tag.) These bags are most likely grouped together with other parcels going to the same place in these huge metal storage containers you see stacked on the deck of these transport ships. Sometimes when seas are rough some of these containers may be lost ...which could have happened I suppose to my beloved books. In reality, I haven't given up on them even though it has been nearly 6 years. You never know...maybe some day I will answer the door and there they'll be just a little worse for wear... :finger:

I guess it pains me... silly I know...but it does because I had so many books and I onely picked out the ones I loved the most to make this journey. The rest I let go...as I was trying to "dematerialize my life." ugh! This material girl sometimes has second thoughts... but I suspect it is true we can't take em with us anyway, though I will probably do my best and try to slip my beloved contraband into the next realms. ;)

Hope all is well in your world and glad to hear you are taking time to continue to write! :kiss:
Hugs,
Sandy
sammy

Post by sammy »

My guess is that those books fell into the hands of someone who really needed more than our sweet Sandy.

LOVE!!!!
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

On my more giving days I think the same thing, Sammy, as I lost a brand new hard bound copy of the Urantia Book in that lost book bag. The funny thing was, my Urantia Book Concordance just happened to be in the bag of books that did make it to its destination...so with my old faithful tattered, torn and rain stained Urantia book in hand I still can find rather quickly what i am needing or looking for.

There were a few things totally irreplaceable though... several cookbooks...one, my favorite that my dear friend's school put together many years ago and I used often. She had inscribed a little note in the front cover for me when she handed it to me way back in the eighties... and it was special to me...I knew so many of the people who had contributed to the book...some now gone. There were also some school primers from my childhood... I remembered those stories and the old illustrations always gave me comfort... like a walk in a peaceful forest albeit long past... I guess I hang onto things... people, feelings, and memories more than I should. How I would love to be able to let go and not wish to grab it back again after a time. :lol: One day at a time eh? I am so blessed and I have newish cookbooks with strange titles now..."The Raw Gourmet," "Low Carb comfort Foods" and "Fifteen Minute Vegetarian Meals." :lol: Maybe loosing all those fatty high carb recipe books will save my life some day. :sunny: looking on the bright side. ;)

...speaking of food, though...I need to clean and cut some silver beet for supper tonight. Hope everyone is having a great day! :hithere
Love,
Sandy
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

HiGuys, Sandy, when we first moved here the racism was rather rife. But not all
were so nasty, some went out of their way to show their contempt and disapproval
of the racists, which helped. The very popular Berger and his wife who are very respected
were just two who didn't.
Now two years later and after some of the exciting shinanigans we've been through, many
more people now greet us and are friendly. The girl's are respected and liked by their
teachers. Thalia is always having funny arguments with her History teacher. The
other day he said to her: "I so hope I'm not going to be your teacher next year, you'll be
learning about the Napoleonic years!" Thals: "Oh you mean the Battle of Waterloo where
Wellington thrashed his behind!" Teacher: "Waterloo? Never heard of that place, do you
mean ( here he says Waterloo how the French pronounce it, Vaaterrloo, rolling the R.)" :lol:
Thalia: "Sir, did Napolean really have a big tent and spent most of his time in it having a
slap-up meal during that battle...where we English trashed your behind??" :lol: Even he started
laughing, but he seldom smiles let alone laughs apparently.
He gave Thalia his desk chair with wheels and great back support when she told him that I
was having back trouble sitting on bad chairs.
Anyway, where was I? Yeah, it's a lot better now and Phil is very well liked. When he once
remarked he's like to move to the plain, almost all the locals in the bar protested. Ah, Corsicans
are a funny bunch, very distant but once they know/accept you then you've a staunch friend for
life.
It's Mother's Day on Sunday so I'm expecting brekkers in bed and school made gifts from Manny.
I reckon Thalia is surprising me this year with a bunch of roses.

OK, I'm going to have a quick cold shower, it's boiling hot today, too hot to move a limb.
Oh, and if I'm absent for a wee while it's because my 6 epic novels from Amazon have arrived.
One is called The Help, just reading the back cover had me all excitied with anticipation, hehe!
The Help

Bye for now, :bike: Pet xxxxx

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: to everyone
ॐ LOVE Petra
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

Oh I forgot something Sandy, a man from the Association who we pay rent to called at 1pm
today and asked if it was okay for him to do an inspection of the apartment in half an hour
as he was in town. Me: "WHAAAAAAAT?" They hadn't ever visited before. Anyway, he came
in looked briefly around and said: "I'm going to have to call the police!" Then laughed his head
off at our expressions. The place hadn't been scrupulously cleaned as I would have done with
more notice. I laughed when he left, remembering your 6 monthly inspections and how you always
exactly when they are coming. :lol:

Pet xxx
ॐ LOVE Petra
luvinlife
Family

Post by luvinlife »

Oh, Petra! I had something similar. As a renter, I'm not allowed to have pets, but I just couldn't bear to get rid of my cats. Well, when my landlord was coming over, you should have seen me trying to get them into the carrier (my boy cat is 35 pounds!) and over to a friends house. Some neighbors were outside, and in order to cover up the "meowing", my kids started singing really loud. What a bunch of fools we looked like!

Love, Clare
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." - Confucius
sammy

Post by sammy »

PET!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Hey- did he check for mold????

Clare! I have 4 cats you can have! One of them likes to pee everywhere...want him?!

Sandy - I am such a pack rat. I have literally 50% of EVERYTHING my kids produced during school...BOXES and BOXES! I have old greeting cards...A couple years ago I was decorating my house for Christmas. I decorate every inch of my house. I also have a small china cabinet that my mom gave me, in it I store all of my (passed) gramma's favorite things. She was my favorite person...ever...she died when I was 6 months pregnant with Jake. Anyway, one Christmas I decided I was going to put Christmas items in that cabinet (JUST for Christmas and I would replace her favorite things after Christmas).

I went to the basement to try to find some decoration and ran across a huge pile of cards. I sifted through them, not reading them, but about 3/4 of the way through the pile I stopped to read one for some reason. It turned out to be a wedding card from my grandmother, in it she wrote "NEVER forget us!" I started bawling my eyes out and decided not to redecorate "her" cabinet. :roll

Ah...and then there's the kids...I told you Scott is leaving for boot camp in October. Yesterday he turned 21. It goes SO fast...and I THANK GOD that I have all those little pieces of paper he created though all his years of schooling.

He's such a good kid...I mean GOOD. The kid doesn't drink...Jack (my husband) and I wanted to take him to a bar for his 21st BD, he went to the movies instead...but he DID put in a request for 1 can of this AWESOME chocolate flavored, alchohol infused whip cream! :lol: He could buy it himself!

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!
Sammy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi! Hope everybody is enjoying a nice week end!

Pet, I'm glad that the locals see you guys in your true light! I suppose that is how we should look at all people around us, huh even those with hard edges and unrealistic opinions? Hard to do as there is often no rationality behind their sorted views. I smile now though as I remember something Teacher Aaron once said... something about looking within your own armament of behaviors when something rankles you. hee hee. I guess I might be surprised eh, at what i find? ;) hmm reminds me of something we read recently...about knowing thyself opens the door for Truth (real Truth from the Divine Herself/Hisself) As we let go of what "we" think and our conditioning, we leave room for something eternal and life changing. Hmmm this has been an area though that has not been easy...for me... I find resistance as I try to break through these "onion layers" that protect what I think of as me. ;)

That Thals cracks me up with her cheek. I love it ..hmmm lets see...who does she remind me of???? :lol: ... her mother perhaps? :) :sunflower:

Oh and before I forget, what exactly is a Berger? I have heard that term before in regards to a person but wasn't sure what it meant or what job or service they do for that title.

Clare, I laughed out loud at the picture you painted of you and your boys hiding out your cats as your landlord came near. :lol: I often wondered if we could get away with having a little cat for company... but then I remember reality and our very nice landlord who often drops in out of the blue for a cuppa as they say here. Sadly, I don't think we'd get away with it. But its a nice thought... some day perhaps.

Ahhh Sammy, I had tears in my eyes when I read your post.... I remember once going through our fire proof document security box and unexpectantly coming across some saved letters from my grandmother who had long been dead. I looked at her crooked script and felt so close to her in those moments as I heard her voice in my mind while reading the letters. Sometimes it is hard for me to recall in the moment that our connection with loved ones is stronger...much stronger and of course more eternally lasting then these little bits of material souviners of their life. I, sadly, let go of so many of these type things when I left the US out of necessity and of course being the little sentemental sot that I am, I now longingly wish to hold them once again. :) My memories are strong though and when it is safe for me... I can go back and enjoy what once was...always keeping in mind that the present is building those precious memories of tomorrow. So too much dwelling there could interupt today's peace and happiness... building, feeling, enjoying eternal connections with all of you and my genetic family is my lifeline in the seeming physical isolation which is my/ George's life.

So once again I am reminded of AJ's beautiful post in current events. When each of you smile it helps me to smile here... and all those many people in between us.. Thank you dear family for this much needed (Hug) today as I read your posts and feel the love residing in each of your beautiful hearts..
Sandy
aqualeaf
Family

Post by aqualeaf »

Hi all you Beauty-Beings! :hithere

Wow, it's been such a long time since I've visited these boards and posted here at our International Coffee House! Since Facebook sent me an email telling me today is Sandy's birthday (well, it's probably already actually the next day in Oz now!), I wished her a happy birthday there last night my time, and then came here and spent a couple hours reading through this thread from the last time I posted (which was last August 27th!) up till now. Happy Birthday once again, Sandy, by the way! :-) I was reminded just how fond we've all always been of discussing food on this thread (saw a few mighty good-sounding recipes typed up here that I'll have to go back and make copies of too!), and I also saw that you asked about me here sometime in March of this year, PP, and that you wondered if I'd write in with one of my characteristically long email messages at some point. Well, here I am now, and I've never managed not to write a long post before, so I imagine that this time around will be no different! :lol:

Hmm, looks like the dust bunnies have accumulated in the corners of our lovely cafe again. Since I'm the first one here in a little while, I'm sweeping up, and using a spray bottle of my favorite Meyer's geranium-scented aromatherapy all-purpose cleaner, to wipe off the tabletops, so it'll smell really nice when you all arrive! I'm also brewing us some "Larry's Famous Chai," from the coffeehouse a few miles from our new place (yes, we've moved since I last posted! More on that shortly...). It is such a lovely-flavored chai, and I think their secret is that they use some kind of orange-flavored black tea as the base (in addition to all the regular chai spices), and I wouldn't be surprised if they maybe even add a wee bit of orange essential oil to get that intense orange flavor. They offer a variety of different nut/seed/etc. milks to mix the brewed tea with, in addition to the more standard dairy, soy and rice milks. The other milk choices are almond, hemp, hazelnut, and coconut. Having tried them all, my personal favorite is the hazelnut milk, so you all can take your pick of which kind of milk you'd like in your chai. :D

Oh yes, and I have an assortment of my favorite Dagoba organic dark chocolate bars here as well, broken into neat rectangular one-ounce pieces, for those of you who'd like some. The kinds I have today are New Moon (bittersweet, 74% cacao), Conocado (single-origin chocolate from the Dominican Republic, 73% cacao), Xocolatl (spicy chocolate with chilies, cacao nibs, maca, nutmeg and vanilla, 74% cacao), and Eclipse (the darkest, least-sweet choice, "pure extra bittersweet," with an 87% cacao content). On their wrappers is written, "You can deprive the body but the soul needs chocolate." (These Dagoba folks are my kind of people! :lol: ) I've put bright pink tablecloths on the tables and laid out several bits of chocolate on some festive brightly-colored plates so that it almost feels like a party is about to begin! Welcome, Everyone! :colors:

So, to begin the catching-up process, the last time I wrote in here, the online eBay art gallery that Ron and I were members of had recently fallen apart (as did the first, in-person, gallery we were in, as many of you may recall!), so it was the second art gallery we were members of that had fallen apart in two years or less! :roll: I mentioned that one of our friends had jokingly told us at that time that we should write a book on how to close down an art gallery! :lol: And when I posted that here on this thread, Laura kindly replied, "Third time's a charm!" :happy and, all this time later, it turns out that she was right! :D (So far, at least!) ...To make some longish stories at least short enough that my post won't be a complete novella taking up multiple pages of this thread :lol: , Ron and I both got asked to join a new online eBay art gallery at the beginning of this year, one started by some of the former members of the previous gallery. And this one's still going strong at present! :roll

Unfortunately, however, at this very same time, we unexpectedly found out that we needed to move: We were living on the bottom floor of a duplex with the landlady living on the top floor. It was the first time we'd ever lived in a duplex, and it started out well enough, but over time, it became apparent that the landlady was not only uncomfortably negative (to the point that we came to avoid her as often as possible), but that she also had unspoken expectations regarding us, and was frequently pushing on our boundaries in various ways. Since this was the first time we'd ever lived in a duplex, it hadn't occurred to us that such a situation might arise, and since we are both quite private people, it was quite uncomfortable for us. However, since there is such a high housing demand in the Santa Cruz area, and it's such a desirable location, it's quite a process to find a new place to live (not to mention the whole process of packing up everything and moving it all, etc.), so we stayed there for 2 1/2 years anyway. Finally, though, the situation came to a head toward Christmas-time last year, when our oven stopped working (it's such a weird synchronicity that a couple of you on this thread also talked about your stoves/ovens not working a few months back! :shock: ), which required us to interact with her. To make a long story short, this one event precipitated a series of boundary-related conflicts that escalated to the point that, even though we are excellent tenants, who have alway paid the rent on time, etc., and have always gotten excellent recommendations from all our other landlords, this landlady got angry at us and, at the beginning of January, she actually asked us to move out (though "asked" is a bit of a euphemism for the manner in which she went about it)! :cry: Although we feel that she behaved quite unfairly and unprofessionally, and were very upset by the whole thing :shaking: , it was also actually a blessing in disguise that this all happened, because it got us out of that unhealthy environment much sooner than we'd have gotten around to moving otherwise.

In looking for a new place, we headed for the hills, up into the low-lying mountains 10-15 miles north of Santa Cruz, where we found a trailer for rent (finally, a totally detached dwelling!) in a lovely setting in the redwoods in the cute little town of Ben Lomond, which was apparently settled by the Scots long ago, and the name means "Beacon Peak" in Gaelic. We moved in in February, and despite the dwelling's small size, it has a relatively sizeable, well-shaded, gardenable yard with a large redwood tree, and even a holly tree (complete with lots of red berries) growing in it. Since the previous tenant had cleared away all the plants in the yard to use it as a parking lot(!), the yard was largely just bare earth when we first moved in, so we planted violets and wood sorrel, also known as wild shamrock (Sandy, I think this may be the same plant you mentioned that you found growing in Geoff's yard that he thought was a noxious weed, and that you took a cutting of to plant in your garden -- another interesting synchronicity!), which love to grow in the shade beneath the redwoods, so they are thriving, and we're hoping that they will soon spread to fill up the whole yard! In fact, here's a picture of one of the clumps of our shamrocks (their official name is "oxalis oregana") - Sandy, is the the same plant you were talking about,or pretty similar? (Let's see if I can remember how to post an image here!):

It took us a while to recover from the drama and exhaustion of that whole traumatic "forced-moving" phase earlier this year, and we seem to only just now be getting fully settled again. I used to think of myself as a pretty positive person, but am repeatedly surprised lately to realize how much more negative I've been ever since that all happened (but at least awareness is the first step in changing it!). I'm still also struggling with getting my art productivity levels back to where they really need to be, especially after a huge interruption like moving --- that's an issue I've continually wrestled with during these past few years of attempted self-employment as an artist after being in "normal" corporate jobs for so many years -- my earnings, how much I sell, are now so directly tied to how much I can produce, and how quickly, on a day-to-day basis. Fortunately, however, Ron's is being quite prolific and selling quite a bit of art lately, and our rent in this much smaller place is almost half what it was before. :thumleft:

I also just finished taking a wonderful class with a very abundant and spiritual relatively-local female visionary artist on painting the black madonna (who, as she explains, represents the divine feminine for all people, since black includes all colors). It has really helped me to get back some of my lost painting enthusiasm, because she has a very spiritual approach where you first infuse intention into the canvas by writing positive, affirmational words on it (like Love, Peace, Joy, Abundance, etc.), then you create the painting in several layers, reshaping the images over and over, "tending and nurturing" the painting, and using painting as a form of prayer and meditation. I enjoyed the class so much and got so much out of it that I'm hoping to take another one of hers before too long. :finger:

I'm also still thinking about getting certified as a nutritional consultant and/or a master herbalist (or taking a "holistic health practitioner" program that includes both), which I've long been interested in, and would also eventually give me other income-making options in a field I'm really interested in in addition to art. Now that we're finally beginning to get more settled again, I'm starting to look into that possibility again. :colors:

So that's what's been happening with me lately. What's going on for all of you? PP, have you sold your place yet? By the way, Theunim and Lucky, it's great to meet you both, and I've enjoyed reading your posts here, along with all those of all my old friends here. Sorry if I missed anyone else; there was quite a bit of reading to catch up on over the past 10 or 11 months of this thread! :lol: What fun it is that this thread is still going strong! Long live our International Coffee House! :colors:

:bana: :sunflower: :bana: :sunflower: :bana: :sunflower:

Lots of love to all, :kiss:
AquaDeb
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Aquadeb,

Good to see you again. Funny enough Santa Cruz is a place I have visited, twice I think. A bunch of folks who follow the Padgett Messages live there. Anyway, I am in no doubt that some Oxalis is a noxious weed, and here is a picture, although as I just discovered there are many varieties, and some are OK. But the one I gave Sunny, is a NO NO.: I gather it is this one: Oxalis_pes-caprae

It does get flowers:

Notes: The genus Oxalis includes over 800 species of annual or perennial, stemmed or stemless, herbs and shrubs, often with underground bulbs or tubers. A few are aquatic species. Of the thirty species of Oxalis in Australia, twenty are naturalised and many are existing or potential serious pests in various parts of the country. Twenty two species of Oxalis were listed in Victorian nursery catalogues between 1855 and 1889. Eleven species are described in Gardening Australia's Flora (2003) with acknowledgement that 'some of the world's worst weeds belong in Oxalis,…'

One species of concern in Victoria is Soursob, Oxalis pes-caprae which invades coastal heath vegetation, grassland, woodland and dry forest. It also occurs along roadsides, and in gardens, crops and pastures. It is distinguished by the three heart-shaped leaflets with or without stalks which fold in dull days or at night. Flowers are bright yellow in colour and open in sunlight and close at night. There are masses of underground bulbs which are spread by water, birds, in dumped garden waste and during cultivation.

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hello AquaDeb!!!! :bana: It is so good to see you! I did have a great birthday and I thank you for the warm birthday wishes.
The cafe looks and smells wonderful! The perfect place for a meet and chat. I would love to have a piece of that chocolate and I will add some of Geoff's Belgium chocolate to the lovely dish as well.
Our Theunim is actually a very good baker. Those blueberry cookies of hers are to die for. Soooo good and you have just reminded me that I need to find that seafood lasgane recipe as I promised Lucky. I sure hope I still have it and it wasn't one of those recipes lost at sea.
When I spoke with Geoff yesterday he was getting ready to make a wonderful sounding pasta dish. It too involved fish too...salmon and sounded wonderfully and different from anything I have eaten in the pasta area. Hope it was as delicious as it sounded, Geoff.

It is so strange how I was just thinking of you the other day, Deb. Wondering how your art, and life were going. So you've moved again! I don't envy you...this moving takes a lot out of you but so too does living in a negative atmosphere. Despite the looking for a new place, the packing and actual expense involved, it will be worth it as you relax and expand again in your light charged environment. Oh how wonderful to be living in the shadow of one of the Worlds great trees! Some day I will get to see a Redwood for for myself but until then I will live vicariously through your all's descriptions and intereactions as I did recently when Sammy went to Reno. On our side of the world I am wowed by these huge Eucalyptus trees and Stragler figs...(not sure I spelled it right.)

Yes those photos you and Geoff posted do seem right for the wild little plant I blackmailed Geoff into giving me. :lol: I can see now after reading about them why he was reluctant and made me promise to never ever release it into the wild. I promise I will be most careful as these aggressive non natives can have detremental effects to the native flora and fauna. This one too seems rather dangerous in large quantities to livestock so I will make sure it stays safely contained in the house. It does have the cutest little flowers on it from time to time though, and truly we have developed a strange kind of human to plant bond... much like a then tiny pine I saved years ago in Ohio. I could truly feel love when I was near that tree and it is much the same with my plant...weird. but wonderful! :D

Well it is good news to hear that your art busines is moving forwards again with a new online gallery. I suspect you will soon pick up your old drive, inspiration and your art will flow easily as it once did. Whenever you deal with hurt feelings and lets face it many of us are so sensitive sometimes the effects of an upset can take some time to release from our thoughts, cells and present memories. In fact, if we allow, it can color the way we look at the world long term. It sounds as if your old landlord had issues that she allowed to infect her judgement of people, but she is just one person and her issues are her issues... Perhaps it may help to separate yourself from her now emotionally just as you did physically ... Light a candle as Gypsy always did and bless her and wish her well, sending much happiness which you are able to reflect with your own light. And then you are free! .... our beautiful AquaDeb...artist and Light worker extraordinaire! Know that you are so loved by all of us and in fact, I suspect, by all who know you but there may always be the odd one out who do to their own upbringing and life experiences may be hardened and defensive. It truly isn't about you..there is much more underneath this behavior. Yet if we are willing to look deeply we learn much about ourselves in these situations as well. (((((HUGS))))

Oh before I forget, I would love to view your work via the gallery URL when you have a chance.

And I want to tell you again before I sign off to work on George's supper that it is so good to see you again. You have been so missed! :kiss:
Love,
Sandy
theunim
Family

Post by theunim »

I'm glad there are visitors here again. ;) I bring as my contribution to the space several various bars of Ghirardelli Chocolate~ my favorite has become dark chocolate with raspberry filling. The seeds get stuck between my teeth, though, and I imagine others might have the same problem. We went over the weekend up to San Francisco for a day and then to San Jose for a wedding for friends. We returned last night via car. We had much fun and there will be pictures uploaded...I'm working on the pictures right now and I'll post up a link here to the albums from the weekend when I'm done with the organizational part of it.

AquaDeb, it is a pleasure to meet you. :) It has been a while since there were any visitors to the International Coffee House of The Secret~ :cheers: I'm merely a budding baker and cook, I don't think I'm as good as Sandy says I am, but I certainly hope to be able to come up with my own wonderful secret recipes in the long run. ;) But in the meantime, I'm sticking to what others come up with and eventually making my own personal twists to such recipes, then eventually I know I will have my own "experiments" up and working.

I'm fascinated by your stories of your living abode and your business with Ron. First off, I think it's interesting your hubby(?) is named Ron, I have a best friend named Ron! Yay! Glad to read that you left a negative situation for a wonderfully positive one. My husband and I are living with a roommate that I struggle to not bite the head off with diatribes every week- must be nice, must be gentle, and must be political with talking to him since he and my husband work together. But, I think the way I am, I probably give off these vibes of "Don't you dare say/do the wrong thing" and my conversations with him are very different compared to how he and my husband interact. Seriously, though, my husband and I have to just bite the bullet and clean up our place as best as we can without losing our tempers towards this roommate, because while he's a messy person and a tad bit inconsiderate towards a good number of people he knows in this area, he's still quiet enough so that he's only an OK roommate. Anyway, yes, it is a struggle to go and live with someone that oozes unpleasant into a space meant to be a home, so I try not to be a big stick in the mud myself and hope my efforts to give him love, instead of annoyed feelings, works.

You mentioned the Black Madonna! I have yet to read one of my new spiritual books, but there were some things, according to the summary, in the book about the Black Madonna so I would love to hear more about your experiences in the painting sessions in the future.

Like Sandy, I look forward to the URL of your gallery to see what your work is about! :)

Love,
Theunim
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

— Rumi

The pure love of one soul can offset the hatred of millions. ~ Gandhi