I Got My Book....yipee

Discussions of spiritual books
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

I Got My Book....yipee

Post by Uniquely Common »

Or should I say, I got "THE" book. My Urantia book came yesterday. It's pretty. Got it at Barnes and Noble with a discount 20 some odd dollars with free shipping. It's the leather bound one (burgandy) with gold leaf.

Anyway, any suggestions on how I should approach reading this puppy? I'm still trying to get the very thin pages unstuck and shuffling through it. Very interesting. Any comments on the book would be welcome. Thanks.

Love and Truth,

Rob
nasra1996

Post by nasra1996 »

Hi UC,

I suggest you have a pencil at hand to underline all the sentences you dont understand, you will find yourself underlining the whole book though... :? Oh and a dictionary and Thesaurus attatched to your side to explain every single word....

You can also find an audio Ubook online if your feeling extra lazy that is... heres one of a few...... http://urantiabook.org/index_audio.htm

Happy reading

Love Sarah xxx
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Dear rob,

Go with what you like. If you are the tidy sort, start at the beginning. If not, take bits you like. Many folks liked part 4, the life of Jesus.

love,
Geoff.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Thanks Nasra, Geoff,

My wife saw the book on the kitchen table and said..."hey, who bought a new bible?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, I've been browsing through part 4 and can gauge the little misunderstandings about the happennings in Jesus' life that have become quite relevant in the Christian faith. Quite interesting is all I can say.

Love and Truth,

Rob
nasra1996

Post by nasra1996 »

Hi UC,

You are brave lol leaving the book out, ive not shown a living soul my book...believe me they would not understand.... Ive been reading the book for a while now, but i couldnt tell you what ive read, its just too deep, it needs to be read a few times, i think spread out over a few decades to absorb into the ole brain cells.. I have been reading selected parts of the book rather than start from the beggining, well i did start at the beggining but lost concentration...I shall try to go back to the start though... Ive been stuck on the papers about the races for quite a while, Ive still not reached any conclusions about it....

Anyway enjoy reading, its a fascinating book, ive been advertising it on the web this week to other faith sites, but was not recieved very well atall....

Love Sarahxx
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Oh Sarah,

It's only the pre-conceived notions that I'm sure takes people aback when they start reading the book. One has to have an open mind at least.

On the other hand, if my guide would communicate with me...or rather (let me re-phrase), if I could learn to communicate with my guide, then maybe he/she can clear up a few things in the book for me. Boy, that'd be an ultimate confirmation as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your thoughts dear Sarah. Hope to hear more from you. And Geoff,..you can throw in anything anytime also and thanks.

Love and Truth,

Rob
artguys
New Friend

Post by artguys »

Nineteen years after I started reading the Urantia Book I was privileged to receive the kind of confirmation you're looking for.

Be patient. All prayers are answered in the way they should be answered, not necessarily in the way you anticipate.

William
It is my prayer that the maturing relationship between human beings, God and our home in space will continue to strengthen and all of us will embrace the extraordinary Divine Love being offered.
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Hey thanks Will, I do hope confirmations come sooner than later.

Anyway, I'm concentrating right now on God's relation to the Universe and God's relation to the individual. I think this would do well as a good starting point for most new readers. It's much easier to understand God's nature when we have an idea of what or how we're able to relate and how we are related to Him. Just a suggestion in case there's some folks who just got their books too.

I browsed through the first parts of the book quickly as most of the ideals of the nature and existence of God in these chapters were not as different from the ideals I've learned to believe in while I was acquiring my bachelor's in philosophy. I'm almost certain I'll be jumping between chapters to more easily put together this jigsaw puzzle in my mind. But I must say, it's quite intriguing, in the least.

I can see though why this book wasn't available at the Augustinian run University I went to. Would have been a source of many a good debates in class. :wink:

Love and Truth,

Rob
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Oh my dear, dear Sarah,

The only thing my Philosophy degree ever helped me truly understand was that I'm the most ignorant bastard in the world. Wish it could help me fathom the U Book; I'm only glad and thankful to have you, Geoff, and others to guide and teach me.
The only reason I chose philosophy as a major was because I was interested in becoming a "man of the cloth" at one time. I didn't have the calling, mind you, I just thought it would be "neat" to be a priest. I mean think about it, it's the ultimate description of job security. You get invited everywhere, in every type of occassion; you get a free place to live and eat; oh, and the greatest perk, you're given respect, though you might not desrve it, simply because you're wearing the garb; I mean everyone calls you "father" for God's sake... :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh yeah, that's the life.

There were some very disappointed Augustinian priests (my professors), and one really pissed off Rector when I eventually "fessed up" to not having the calling. They almost nailed me to the cross :lol: :lol: . Fortunately I had one on my side, my Theodicy and Theology Prof. (sweet bastard, boy he could drink). This guy and I spent many an afternoons at Shakey's Pizza Parlor discussing the treatises of St. Thomas Aquinas (my namesake)....oh yeah good times, good times.

Anyway, don't go anywhere Sarah...I'm sure I'll be bugging you ( and Geoff) for clarifications as I go along. By the way, my wife told me to read Marriage and Family Life first and I said "Hell no, I don't need to be reminded of my mistake." :lol: :lol: :lol: She wanted to nail me on the cross too. :shock: :cry: :cry:

Love and Truth,

Rob
Rabin
New Friend

Post by Rabin »

Rob,
I have just started reading the online text of the Urantia papers and I am just as enamored with the info as you are. My first question when I went to the book was, "Who was Mary Magdalene and what was her relation to Jesus." The answer I read wasn't what I thought so I found it to be interesting.
The other part I enjoyed was paper 110 about the Thought Adjusters and Mortals.

Enjoy,
Terri
nasra1996

Post by nasra1996 »

Oops sorry Rob, i deleted my post that you replied to, i thought it was meaninigless... :)

Im new to the book too so i wont be much help to you....

So you were gonna become a priest... i think i would rather be a vicar, atleast then you can have a partner... I bet you only wanted to become a priest really so you could wear dresses in public places rather than behind those closed doors hey... :lol: I was so into Christianity as a teenager i was seriously thinking of becoming a nun... :shock:

Ok take care.... Im very glad you started a thread about the Urantia book...I wish people would discuss the book more often on this forum... would be nice... :)

Love Sarah xxx
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

nasra1996 wrote:
So you were gonna become a priest... i think i would rather be a vicar, atleast then you can have a partner... I bet you only wanted to become a priest really so you could wear dresses in public places rather than behind those closed doors hey... :lol:

Oh no....they're on to me :oops: :oops: :wink: :lol: :lol:
Dart
New Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by Dart »

or a reverend
Even thought its reached new heights
I rather like the restless nights
It makes me wonder it makes me think
There's more to this I'm on the brink
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Hi All,

OK...I'm starting to get headaches reading this thing :) I would love to comprehend the book in toto but I've hardly enough time as it is so, anyway, here's my question (Geoff, George, maybe you can give us your thoughts);

Is there a pre-ordained or even tacit set of rules that govern contact or interaction between our perceived reality and our midwayer's plane? What are they? What are the limits? What are the do's and don'ts? It's good to know what the "rules of engagement" are in any meeting.

Hope to hear your thoughts.....

Love and Truth,

Rob
mrscbvet
Old Friend

Post by mrscbvet »

Hi Rob,
I don't really have a lot of thoughts to offer... Just a comment which really is of no significance...
I personally started at the beginning. I really gained what I felt was insight or basic knowledge. I gained understanding of "hierarchy" ... and... found a striking similarity between the "governing body" (because I don't know what else to call it) and the structure of the US government.... re: the Executive Branch, the Judicial Branch, etc...
Anyway... I find it fascinating, informative, and enlightening... to name a few.
I'm muddling right along at a small snail's pace. But that's okay. Oh and mine is blue and gold.
Love to you,
Brenda 8)
Oh... and one other thing:
I read a post from George somewhere here on the board that indicated if a person is receiving a particular prompt that is not the "usual" numbers, go to that page in the UB and see what might be there... so I did. Example: my personal prompt, which occurs almost daily is 10:14 and 10:18 and 10:21. Those particular numbers do indeed have a major personal significance to me. However, it took on additional meaning when I went to that page in the UB. Page 1018 just happens to contain some of the "thou shalt nots".... Oh my... that certainly sounds like it could be a message....
Just another thought....
(By the way I had to correct this cause my memory is failing these days... but it's got nothing to do with any approaching birthdays..hehehe)
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Rob,
Is there a pre-ordained or even tacit set of rules that govern contact or interaction between our perceived reality and our midwayer's plane? What are they? What are the limits? What are the do's and don'ts? It's good to know what the "rules of engagement" are in any meeting.
Yes. Everything should be done in love. From their side there are a lot of rules. Things they are not allowed to tell us. It seems very organised from that side. From our side I suspect they are overjoyed to find a mortal that accepts their existence, is not scared of them, and wants to learn.

love,
Geoff.
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

mrscbvet wrote: (By the way I had to correct this cause my memory is failing these days... but it's got nothing to do with any approaching birthdays..hehehe)
Oh please Brenda.....age got nothin on you dear :wink: You're one of the wittiest/wittingest(is that right) persons I know, you babbleicious babe. And Happy Birthday, whenever that is :lol: Thanks for the advice.

Geoff,

Thanks for the tip. I guess as long as you're genuinely truthful and willing....things fall in place. OK. I'd love to know what kinda rules they have for themselves over on the other side though...."curiosity killed the cat" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I'd better leave that one alone.

Love and Truth,

Rob
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

I wonder how I missed this thread? Just got a hazy mental picture of Robob in a dress and heels! :shock:

I lost my Urantia book, which seems absurd considering the size of it, but I found it again, very dusty I'm ashamed to say. I will start to read it again. I read and enjoyed the Jesus papers but like Terri, was rather disappointed with what was written about Mary Magdelene.

Yep, I'm glad you started this thread too Robob, I remember you asking me a question about the U Book when you received it. :oops:

Love Pet xxx
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Petra Wilson wrote:I wonder how I missed this thread? Just got a hazy mental picture of Robob in a dress and heels! :shock:
I'll have you know that "Robob" does wear a dress. It's called a "kimono".
Complete of course with juban, kosode, and hakama pants....you wouldn't be laughing at me in this dress because I also carry 2 swords (katana & wakizashi) tucked up under my iaido obi belt. I'm sorry, I'm babbleing again....(I blame Brenda).
Anyway, it's another one of my many hobbies Iaido and Tameshigiri (actual cutting practice with the katana sword/blade).

A kimono or even just a regular iaido gi outfit actually looks very nice and regal Pet.

Love and Truth,

Rob
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Petra,
but like Terri, was rather disappointed with what was written about Mary Magdelene.
Hmm. I will have to read it again. There are some parts of those Jesus papers that don't ring true for me, especially since a friend delivered a whole lot of stuff on Jesus' early years via Judas.

love,
Geoff.
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

Uniquely Common wrote: I'll have you know that "Robob" does wear a dress. It's called a "kimono".
Complete of course with juban, kosode, and hakama pants....you wouldn't be laughing at me in this dress because I also carry 2 swords (katana & wakizashi) tucked up under my iaido obi belt.
Well can we have a picture? Seriously, that is one photo I would pay to see! Not that you'd get a dime, it would be donated toward this web site and International Outreach!

Go on...I dare ya! XXX
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Petra Wilson wrote:
Uniquely Common wrote: I'll have you know that "Robob" does wear a dress. It's called a "kimono".
Complete of course with juban, kosode, and hakama pants....you wouldn't be laughing at me in this dress because I also carry 2 swords (katana & wakizashi) tucked up under my iaido obi belt.
Well can we have a picture? Seriously, that is one photo I would pay to see! Not that you'd get a dime, it would be donated toward this web site and International Outreach!

Go on...I dare ya! XXX
Robob in an iaido gi is not for mortal eyes to see. :roll: Besides, I only wear it for exercises and presentations. I don't exactly take pictures when I'm doing my katas. Then again maybe someone has taken pictures. I'll ask......
I'm not about to get all dressed up just to take a photie to post for an avi. That's too vain wouldn't you think? :wink: . Maybe one day, I'll grant your request Pet, and you will pay....top dollar, or pounds for that matter.... :lol: :lol:

Love and Truth,

Rob
nasra1996

Post by nasra1996 »

Nooooooo its not vain.... :? Is it Petra... :wink: Do it for us girls Rob and all womankind.... cant you see Petras begging you for a photie, she cant beg no more, so whip out your "iaido gi "... :lol:

Im leaving.....

Love Sarah xxx
Last edited by nasra1996 on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uniquely Common
Busy Bee

Drop it ladies :roll: :roll: You're embarassing me. :roll: :)
Opened up a big can o worms on this one....Geeez :lol: :lol:
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

:lol: Sarah, I only beg to God!

Robob, if I was you I'd have a tonne of pictures of myself in all that get-up! Couple hanging on the wall too. But then, I'm vain and you're not! haha.

Oh well, if you don't have the photie, never mind. When you're ready, I'll get the old cheque book out! Think of the good you'll be doing Robob! :D

Love Pet XXX