The Shroud of Turin and Paper 189

A forum for the study and discussion of the Urantia Book
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

The Shroud of Turin and Paper 189

Post by happyrain »

I read this the other day and thought it was pretty cool.
The Shroud of Turin, a linen cloth 14 feet by 3 feet, contains the image of a man who was badly scourged, was crucified, wore a crown of thorns and was stabbed in the chest with a Roman lance. Of course, all of these wounds fit what the Bible says happened to Jesus. Is the Shroud of Turin Jesus' actual "clean linen shroud" given to Him in death by Joseph of Arimathea?

We know where the Shroud has been since 1357, when it showed up in the household of a French crusader. Consider these facts:

The human anatomy represented on the Shroud is 100% accurate – far ahead of what they knew back in 1357.
The Shroud's image is a photographic negative – that's 500 years before photography was developed.
The faint image on the Shroud was not painted on. It was somehow lightly burned on. Rolfe told me that there was "an unbelievable amount of energy in an infinitesimally small amount of time" (40-billionth of a second) that produced this image.
The blood on the Shroud is real human blood – with all the wounds corresponding with the passion of Jesus in the Gospels. The blood type was rare – AB+. The blood did not see decay – meaning, He was sandwiched inside that cloth for about 36 hours. Yet the blood was undisturbed, which means He somehow went through the cloth (or dematerialized within the cloth). It was not yanked off Him.
The image of the Shroud is three-dimensional. Paintings and pictures don't have that property.
And on and on it goes.
https://www.wnd.com/2024/04/million-dol ... te-shroud/

This part really stood out to me,

The faint image on the Shroud was not painted on. It was somehow lightly burned on. Rolfe told me that there was "an unbelievable amount of energy in an infinitesimally small amount of time" (40-billionth of a second) that produced this image.

And Brother Jon has shared something quite interesting,
189:2.1 (2022.5) At ten minutes past three o’clock, as the resurrected Jesus fraternized with the assembled morontia personalities from the seven mansion worlds of Satania, the chief of archangels—the angels of the resurrection—approached Gabriel and asked for the mortal body of Jesus. Said the chief of the archangels: “We may not participate in the morontia resurrection of the bestowal experience of Michael our sovereign, but we would have his mortal remains put in our custody for immediate dissolution. We do not propose to employ our technique of dematerialization; we merely wish to invoke the process of accelerated time. It is enough that we have seen the Sovereign live and die on Urantia; the hosts of heaven would be spared the memory of enduring the sight of the slow decay of the human form of the Creator and Upholder of a universe. In the name of the celestial intelligences of all Nebadon, I ask for a mandate giving me the custody of the mortal body of Jesus of Nazareth and empowering us to proceed with its immediate dissolution.”

189:2.7 (2023.6) The tomb of Joseph was empty, not because the body of Jesus had been rehabilitated or resurrected, but because the celestial hosts had been granted their request to afford it a special and unique dissolution, a return of the “dust to dust,” without the intervention of the delays of time and without the operation of the ordinary and visible processes of mortal decay and material corruption.

189:2.8 (2024.1) The mortal remains of Jesus underwent the same natural process of elemental disintegration as characterizes all human bodies on earth except that, in point of time, this natural mode of dissolution was greatly accelerated, hastened to that point where it became well-nigh instantaneous.
https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-st ... surrection

AMAZING!! :shock:
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Re: The Shroud of Turin and Paper 189

Post by Sandy »

Yes, it is amazing, isn't it? And very very cool... 8)
Thanks for posting the images... and giving me a thrill this morning, Eric.
Just think... we are probably looking at the image of Christ. :bana:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

See that nothing potentially idolatrous is left on the planet at the time of your departure. (120:3.7)
This would apply to the shroud also but only if a Secondary Midwayer(?) destroyed the shroud. Interestingly,
Perplexity's analysis suggests that an increasing number of people believe the shroud is authentic:

:study: Re: https://www.perplexity.ai/

Q: Is the Shroud of Turin real?

"Shroud of Turin - Venerated linen cloth with a faint image of a man

Description - A piece of linen cloth bearing a faint image of the front and back of a man,
believed by some to be Jesus of Nazareth's burial shroud.

Veneration - Highly venerated for centuries, especially by members of the Catholic Church.

Discovery of Photographic Negative - The negative image, discovered in 1898 by Secondo Pia,
is clearer than the shroud in its natural color.

Based on the search results provided, the evidence suggests that the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin is still a matter of debate, but there are strong arguments that it may be genuine: The Shroud of Turin is a linen cloth that is believed by many to have been the burial shroud of Jesus Christ. While carbon dating in the 1980s suggested the shroud dated to the 14th century, more recent research has challenged this conclusion. Several experts argue that the shroud's authenticity can no longer be disputed. Historian Jean-Christian Petitfils, who has studied the shroud for over 40 years, states that the evidence for its authenticity is overwhelming and that it 'has all the characteristics of authenticity'.

The search results note that the carbon dating may have been flawed, as the tested area was likely repaired in the 14th century. Additionally, new dating tests have dated the linen cloth to the first century. Furthermore, the search results highlight that the shroud contains features that are difficult to explain if it were a medieval forgery, such as the high-resolution, 3D image and evidence that it wrapped around a real body that 'dematerialized'.

While the church has been cautious about endorsing the shroud's authenticity, the search results suggest the evidence in favor of it being the authentic burial shroud of Jesus is growing stronger and can no longer be easily dismissed. In summary, the search results indicate there is significant evidence supporting the authenticity of the Shroud of Turin, despite the earlier carbon dating results. The debate continues, but many experts now believe the shroud is likely genuine."

Rod :)
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for that, Rod! I find it so exciting...After viewing this thread this morning I wound up purchasing a book from Thriftybooks on the Shroud.
"The Blood and the Shroud: New Evidence that the Shroud is Real"
I look forward to learning more. :bana:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Well we have this message that goes back some years:

Revelation 11: Jesus elaborates further on His Crucifixion, resurrection and what followed.
(This message is referred to as Revelation 21 on page 56 in New Testament Revelations of Jesus of Nazareth)

September 14th and October 10th 1955

Received by Dr Samuels

Washington D.C.

I am here, Jesus.

Yes, it is and I am glad that you have given me this opportunity to write, as I have been present for a short while and reading with you as you were reading Dr. Barbet’s book on the crucifixion, and I would like to say at this time that the shroud at Turin is a reality, the shroud which covered my mortal remains after the descent from the cross and the preparations made for my burial by Joseph as described in the Gospels. The care for my body as described by John in chapter 19, verses 38-42 is correct. The nails that pierced my flesh were hammered into the wrists and not the palms as has been widely understood; that physical death came to me through asphyxiation, due to the unnatural position of my body dragging on my outstretched arms on the cross, and that the opening of my heart by the Roman lancer and the accompanying flow of blood from the right auricle and the liquid from the pericardium actually took place as described by John the Apostle in chapter 19, verse 34.

I say again that, while my sincere and devoted Dr. Barbet has accomplished a task of primary importance in the reconstruction of the crucifixion such a reconstruction deals merely with the experiences undergone by my body, and does not deal with the living soul, so that how much more important is it to devote oneself to the reconstruction of man through the experience of the New Birth and to study those things which will, by deed, lead him to eternal life. The great compelling fact of the crucifixion is that, while my body was dematerialized by me and died as to its existence, yet my soul has lived on through the intervening centuries and will continue to live throughout all eternity, and this eternal life became a reality through my constant and fervent prayer to the Heavenly Father for the inflowing of His Divine Love into my soul and At-onement with Him.

For while my body has these many centuries been returned to the elements from which they proceeded, and is no longer in existence as such, or can be brought back into existence through any such mysterious ceremony as the blood and wine now practiced among religious cults, nevertheless what is really alive is my immortal soul, with my teachings which show the way to achieve immortality of soul longing to the Father. For it is the Divine Love that gives eternal life, and not that bread which is material, which as experienced by my body, suffers decay and is subject to the laws of the physical and hence transitory world.

Received October 10th, 1955

The information regarding my true resurrection has already been given to mankind in the messages which, with my approval, were given through Mr. James E. Padgett and printed in “True Gospel Revealed Anew;” and these explain my work in Joseph’s cave, ascended to the spirit world to proclaim the availability of the Father’s Love through prayer and the possibility of At-onement with Him thereby, and then returning to the cave, materialized a body closely resembling my own with elements drawn from the elements of the universe; the linen shroud which had covered my body I folded neatly and placed in a corner and I walked out of the cave, the stone blocking the entrance to it having been rolled away by the bright spirit sent by the Father for that purpose; and it was in this way that I saw Mary the Magdalene and the others, as mentioned in the gospels. The angel mentioned in the gospel was a bright spirit sent for the purpose of removing the stone; the strength he displayed in this task was obtained through the transmission of energy conveyed to him by many spirits who were present at the time. His materialized spirit body, endowed with this additional power, was able to cope with the task of rolling away the stone. He used the guard whom he put into a trance by suggestion, as the means by which he obtained the necessary ectoplasm to bring about the materialization. No, he was not able to materialize by culling from the elements a material form, such as I was able to do in my resurrection, and no one other than myself, not even the exalted spirits of the Transfiguration, has done this.2

It was necessary for me to do this to show that I was still alive even after death through crucifixion for at this time in their spiritual development this phenomenon was the proof in the eyes of my disciples that I was the Messiah; but the real understanding of my Messiahship came to them only at Pentecost, when the Divine Love was conveyed into their souls with such power and in such abundance that they knew I had come to bring the very essence of the Father to mankind if they would seek it through earnest prayer.

This became known later as receiving the Holy Spirit, erroneously, of course, because it is the Holy Spirit which conveys the Father’s Love into the soul of he who seeks it; but even this became relegated to a secondary position before the great fact of the “Risen Christ” which was preached to the pagans to substitute for their own gods.

Spiritualism if properly understood and taught, must lead to prayer for the Divine Love and At-onement with the Father; and what more appropriate introduction to the Father’s truths is there than that which reveals my resurrection - the risen Christ - as the working of a fundamental truth of Spiritualism.

Jesus of the Bible and Master of the Celestial Heavens.

Source: Revelation 11: Jesus elaborates further on His Crucifixion, resurrection and what followed.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Sandy wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:10 pm Thanks for that, Rod! I find it so exciting...After viewing this thread this morning I wound up purchasing a book from Thriftybooks on the Shroud.
"The Blood and the Shroud: New Evidence that the Shroud is Real"
I look forward to learning more. :bana:
xxSandy
Dear Sandy,

I have this page on that topic:

Portrait of Jesus? The Illustrated Story of the Shroud of Turin.
Starwalker
Family

Post by Starwalker »

See that nothing potentially idolatrous is left on the planet at the time of your departure. (120:3.7)
I was thinking that this meant that He could not leave behind any writings which might crystallize his teachings. Not everything that was relevant back then was to remain relevant forever. This is likely the purpose of such a rule. The Shroud of Turín is more of a means of venerating Jesus, which is likely acceptable since He was and is worthy of worship. As long as the worship is directed at the person who was covered by the cloth and not the cloth itself there is probably no issue with it being left behind.

What if He had incarnated in more modern times? Surely there would be pictures of Him left behind. How about His return? How could this rule possibly be applied now? Perhaps there is something more to the prediction that all of our electronics are to become useless? I guess we will have to wait and see.
“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.” – William Shakespeare
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: A burial shroud, especially one tossed over a cliff before Jesus' resurrection,
was not a desired memento by anyone since it was associated with death.
Perhaps, someone retrieved it later, inspired by Jesus' resurrection.

The UB mentions two shrouds ("linen sheet") used to wrap Jesus' body:
one to carry him from the cross, the other wrapped over his bandages.
If the Shroud of Turin contains blood, this would be the first shroud,
since the bandages would have limited seeping of blood. Also,
the tomb's shroud was meant to be ceremonially clean.

Interestingly, the first shroud is not mentioned as the grave cloths
that were tossed over a cliff. This hints that the first shroud is
the more likely Shroud of Turin, but its picture-perfect image
is not typical of a wrapped body carried from a cross.

Rod :)
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

I tried sharing this with my friend who is a truly devoted Christian. In so doing he said that wasn't Jesus but the devil. Then he went on to quote some part of the bible to prove his point.

Ah, the joys of sharing with one another. :roll
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Geoff,
I appreciate your sharing what you know concerning the shroud of Turin from your own research. It sounds ever so likely that The shroud once covered the body of Christ. I just got chills. Thank you.

As for "veneration"...I am wondering if that mostly applied to Jesus allowing such things to exist while he was alive...After his death, well, there's free will and people are people. I know from my own experience, that even the smallest thing that was used or important to my late dad now has special significance to those of us left behind. So imagine, the apostles, somewhat in shock and disarray, would most likely latch on to many things that were of their Master Jesus, his tent, his clothing... anything.
With that said LOL what do I know...I wasn't there and the Midwayers were. Can you imagine what it must have been like for them to watch this horrible crucifixion knowing they could not interfere but longing to? It is probably what they still feel watching humans on this planet indiscriminately hurt maim and kill each other...

xxSandy
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

happyrain wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:15 pm I tried sharing this with my friend who is a truly devoted Christian. In so doing he said that wasn't Jesus but the devil. Then he went on to quote some part of the bible to prove his point.

Ah, the joys of sharing with one another. :roll
I am afraid you cant reach those people. However just so you know, he probably quoted the Old Testament, but the New Testament has a passage that in plain English tells you HOW to know if who is being channelled, is OK. And as it stands, the Master Jesus qualifies. LOL. We certainly test the spirits too, but that ancient recipe is not much use today, for the simple reason the whole world pretty much knows of Jesus, which was not the case 2000 years ago when the followers desperately needed guidance.
1 John 4
(King James Version)

1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
But they really dont like you finding holes in their arguments. But I have found that claiming the "Holy Spirit" spoke to you is becoming quite acceptable. LOL.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Thanks Geoff,

It's a rather fascinating struggle and I hope to share an excerpt of my own contemplation about it(the subeject, what is truth?) in the "Discovering Answers" thread.