UB Cookin'

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I'm now in the mood for bubble and squeak. :D What do you suppose the recipe would taste like with mashed sweet potato verses mashed white potatoes?

Oh you have my stomach growling with the Paleo Pumpkin muffins! (had a salad for breakfast...long story :roll: ) Thanks for that awesome recipe! . I am trying to remember what spices are found in Pumpkin pie spice. ??? (Can't buy it here) But if I remember, a few years ago I made up my own combination with ingredients from my pumpkin pie recipe. (I should have it somewhere in a pile of loose leaf recipes in the cupboard. ) Google should help too. You can find anything on Google after all.

Thanks for the muffins recipe. I will certainly give it a go as soon as I have the necessary ingredients.
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

This is a good substitution for Pumpkin Pie Spice:
3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp cloves

Mashed sweet potato might go well with stronger flavored veggies.

Rod :D
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thank you Rod!!!! :love I've copied it into the cover of my favorite cookbook. :bana:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Cream chiller

Post by Amigoo »

:bana: Who knew !?

Extend the life of half & half (and milk) purchased in cartons by transferring
to several glass bottles (like salad dressing bottles) when carton is purchased.
The glass keeps the half & half colder when it's removed from the refrigerator.
Even better, chill the bottles before adding the half & half. 8)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

AWESOME! Thanks for that timely advice! I never seem to be able to use the cream before it goes bad as often only a small portion is needed for a particular recipe. :thumleft:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: About coconut oil ...

Preferring to consume my daily EVCO* in the morning ... and not mixed with other foods
(but accompanied by a few bites of ripe banana), I'm growing fond of this technique:

Create bite-size pieces of chilled coconut oil (try ice cube trays), then collect pieces into
bowl with lid, sprinkle on organic coconut flour sweetened (if desired) with stevia powder.
Keep refrigerated until used. 8)

* EVCO - Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Amigoo
Family

Coconut Cake Pudding

Post by Amigoo »

Coconut Cake Pudding

:scratch: "Say what?! Did you mean Coconut Pudding Cake?" :?
No - Pudding made with coconut flour that has texture of cake made into pudding.
Comparison: If you like to eat cookie dough, this pudding might be appealing. :roll:

:roll Ingredients:

2 cups chilled soy milk with thickener (like gellan gum)
1/2 cup organic coconut flour
1 med. ripe banana, well-mashed
1 tbsp sugar (or preferred sweetener)
1 tsp organic lemon oil (or vanilla)

:arrow: Directions:

In a medium mixing bowl, whisk ingredients together in the order listed,
then refrigerate in a covered container for several hours. Whisk in more
coconut flour to thicken or more soy milk to moisten.

Serve, topped with fresh fruit (try thawed frozen blueberries).
:idea: Also, try this "pudding" as a hot cereal substitute.

Note: This was a quick recipe to test a different use of coconut flour.
Substitute milk/flavorings as desired, but savor the texture!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for this recipe, Rod. It comes in a timely manner as we must pick up a few things later on today. I am going to use it with almond milk as I am on thyroid medication and soy can interfere.
Can't wait to try it! :bana:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

Here's a developed recipe for Coconut Porridge:
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/coconut-flour-porridge/

Heating the liquid to simmering may be important*,
but I would first try a simpler recipe with almond milk,
coconut flour, egg white, and sweetener. Top with butter
and/or fresh fruit if desired. :roll

* to reduce grittiness of coconut flour

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I've printed this recipe to make it convenient for "earlyish" morning cooking. (I'm not one of those rise and shine people LOL)
We did get the coconut flour and I have a lovely ripe banana now too so today's the day for making coconut cake pudding. :sunflower:

This coconut four breakfast porridge recipe definitely peeks my interest as we are in a breakfast rut around here.
So here's to some new favorite recipes! :bana:
Thank you!!!
xxSandy
Sandy
Staff

ReChick-pea Falafel with Coriander Dip : UB Cookin

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
Here's one that I haven't made for awhile but it is delicious and pretty good for you despite the hot oil. It can be found in the book, "Step-By-Step: 15 Minute Vegetarian" by Matthew Drennan found here... https://www.amazon.com/15-Minute-Vegeta ... vegetarian

xxSandy

Chick-pea Falafel with Coriander Dip

Serves 4

400 g/ 14 oz can chick peas, drained
6 spring onions, finely diced
1 egg
2.5 ml/ 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
a garlic clove, crushed
5 ml/ 1 tsp ground cumin
60 ml/4 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander
oil for deep frying
1 small red chili, seeded and finely chopped
45 ml/3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
salt and freshly ground black pepper
coriander sprig to garnish

Step 1. Tip the chick peas into a food processor or blender. Add the spring onions and process to a smooth puree. Add the egg, turmeric, garlic, and cumin and 15 ml/ 1 Tbsp of the chopped coriander.
Process briefly to mix, then add salt and pepper to taste.

Step 2. Shape the chick pea mixture into about 16 small balls.

Step 3. Heat the oil for deep-frying to 180 degrees C/350 degrees F or until a cube of bread browns in 30-45 seconds. Deep fry the Falafel in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden. Drain on kitchen paper, then place in a serving bowl.

Step 4 Stir the remaining coriander and chili into the mayonnaise. Garnish with coriander sprig and serve along side Falafel.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

The Chick-pea Falafel recipe looks tempting!
... and easy! ... and healthy! :roll

I'll first try frying this mixture as a veggie burger*
then use the deep oil when the weather is cooler
(air conditioning is limited to an exhaust fan).

* this might be a good test of coconut flour
to absorb any excess moisture (if it doesn't
compete with the Falafel flavor). :finger:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I like the idea of turning the Falafel into veggie burgers, Rod. I wish that would have occurred to me earlier.

Oh I made the coconut flour cake pudding last night. It was very good with chopped strawberries and a dollup of whipped topping. And most importantly, it passed the critical "George test" so we will be enjoying it again and again. :thumright: So I thank you whole heartedly for giving us this healthy treat option.

Have a great week end. (It's already Friday here. :bana: )
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:bana: A "must have" for the Progress Helpers' kitchen:
https://www.amazon.com/11-Awakening-Sac ... 06XPTGBLD/
Best purchased in sets of two ... or 11. ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I agree, Rod. Those mugs would definitely be at home here. :sunflower:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Very Berry Chia

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190782

Cooked cranberries (without added sugar) complement natural sweetness of blueberries
and provide an appealing tartness to this new version of Very Berry Chia! :roll

Rinse, then simmer a 10oz pkg of frozen cranberries in 1/2 cup water until cooked as desired.

Briefly rinse one quart of frozen blueberries, then sprinkle 1/4 cup chia seeds on hot cranberries,
followed by rinsed blueberries. Stir briefly, cover, and refrigerate until blueberries are thawed.

Stir before first serving; keep refrigerated between servings.
Marvelous with a dollop or two of whipped cream! ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod,
I love cranberries. They are so good for you. Unfortunately, I've never found frozen cranberries here. Do you think this recipe would work with re hydrated dried cranberries? (unsweetened , of course)
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

With good moisture control (your preference), fresh, frozen, freeze dried,
and canned low-sugar cranberries should all work in this Very Berry Chia recipe;
even fresh or frozen cherries are great, except those seeds can catch
a tooth unprepared (for its next dental appointment). :roll:

Since cranberries have strong flavor, more blueberries seem best ...
with just enough chia seeds for gelling balance (1/4 cup is nice). ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod! :bana:
I'm excited to try this recipe. But I just discovered my dried cranberries not only are sweetened but also been sitting opened for nearly a year...hmmm sooo I think a visit to the health store is in order.

Have a great week end!
xxsandy
Sandy
Staff

Chocolate Workout Brownies

Post by Sandy »

Hi, I wanted to share this brownie recipe I made last week that is actually good for you. Despite the fact that it contained no flour it turned out surprisingly well. This recipe makes a very fudgey brownie so it you prefer a cake-like texture you may not like this so well. Also, because bananas are providing a fair bit of the moisture in this recipe, it does have a faint banana taste. I may try it with applesauce and see how it turns out in a couple weeks. The good thing about these brownie bars is they are protein packed and wonderful as a "healthy pick me up."

Note:I was out of cocoa so I used carob powder instead. they turned out just fine but now I am wondering if cocoa would have masked the banana taste a bit better....

Here it is...
xxSandy

Chocolate Work Out Brownies

Ingredients:

1 cup overripe mashed banana or applesauce
2/3 cup nut butter of choice, or allergy-friendly sub
1/3 cup cocoa powder
3 tbsp chocolate protein powder, or additional cocoa – I used ALOHA Chocolate Protein Powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup liquid sweetener of choice OR additional banana
optional mini chocolate chips, crushed walnuts, etc.
Instructions

Notes: If using applesauce or unsweetened protein powder, or if planning to eat the brownies unfrosted, I recommend including the sweetener of choice. Using peanut butter gives a peanut-butter flavor, while almond or cashew butter taste more neutral. Sunbutter or pumpkin seed butter can be used for allergy-friendly brownies. You can use regular unsweetened cocoa or a combination of regular and dutch.

Preheat oven to 325 F.
Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. If using natural nut butter, gently warm it until it is easily stir-able.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, stir until completely smooth, and spread into the prepared pan.

Bake on the center rack 20-25 minutes (20 for super fudgy brownies) – they will be undercooked when you take them out. Let cool, then loosely cover with a paper towel and place in the fridge overnight, during which time they will firm up without losing their fudginess.

Once cut, the brownies can either be stored in the fridge for 2-3 days or in the freezer for up to a month. You can even eat them straight out of the freezer if you wish!

Read more at http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/0 ... KBBmBXR.99

I frosted mine with chocolate avocado frosting...

Chocolate Avocado Frosting

Ingredients

2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup cocoa powder
6-8 tbsp pure maple syrup or sweetener of choice
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
optional 2 tbsp oil
Instructions

Be sure to use soft, ripe avocados. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender until completely smooth. You can add a little oil–such as melted coconut oil–for an even richer taste or if your blender has any trouble getting the frosting smooth (which can happen if using a smaller or low-power blender). Because of the lack of preservatives, it’s best to make up a batch of this avocado frosting right before you plan to use it. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days and will still taste delicious, but color and texture are best immediately after blending.

Read more at http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/0 ... 0gcDmcU.99
Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Workout Brownies

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://board.1111angels.com/posting.php ... f#pr195576

Sandy,

An exciting recipe collection on this site! (see also: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/recipe-index/ )
I'm intrigued by the Chocolate Avocado Frosting and want to see how long it would last refrigerated ...
if it would somehow still be there after a day! :roll:

However, I now avoid sweet treats (and those reminiscent of sweet treats) because I still gobble that stuff. :oops:
But this Corn Muffin recipe got my attention because I want to test golden flax meal in a cornbread recipe:
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2015/0 ... n-muffins/ And some chopped jalapeño peppers
might complement the summer heat (with a traditional cold beer chaser). 8)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
You have me looking at the non dessert sections of her website.... Those corn muffins sound good and something I will try too. I also saw this recipe...
http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2017/0 ... -eggplant/ for Kung pao eggplant. I may try it this week. She suggests serving it with barley as an alternative to rice. I just bought a big ole bag of barley so that is probably what I will do. I may get some firm tofu too and halve the amount of eggplant the recipe calls for. We almost never eat Tofu or use Soy sauce these days and for the life of me now I can't remember why. LOL :roll: Well, surely a little bit won't harm.
Have a good week.
xxSandy
Oh I put the leftover work out brownies in the freezer and pulled one out yesterday... It wasn't bad... almost like it better then at room temp. They aren't so hard that you can't bite through them easily.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: A diabetes discovery journey ...
all processed grains, especially consumed as flour, cause more immediate and significant rise in blood sugar
... that is, those grains with significant quantity of carbohydrates.

:thumright: The "rule of thumb" seems so simple after many months of observation and experimentation:

Foods that cause more immediate rise in blood sugar (either by consumed quantity or food composition)
are easier targets for diabetes control. Processed grains (especially flours), dried fruit, and "sweet treats"
(even as ingredients in recipes) need to be monitored ... if one is really serious about diabetes control.
Smaller meals of conservative portions also help control blood sugar response to carbohydrates.

"Modern Paleo" (not dominated by raw foods) is becoming more enticing every day! :roll

Amigoo
Family

Challah Bread

Post by Amigoo »

Challah Bread

Re: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-ch ... ead-181004

:cheers: Who knew? that Challah Bread can be diabetes friendly :!:
The secret is the limited sugar with protein (eggs) and fat (oil)
to complement the carbohydrates of the flour and sugar.

:idea: Some recipes include raisins or sprinkle poppy seeds on top,
but this simple recipe is a great starter!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod,
Your latest edition to the recipe index sounds delicious! I've never made a braided bread before and would love to give the Challah bread recipe a try.
xxSandy