Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

EZ Chocolate Syrup

Post by Amigoo »

EZ Chocolate Syrup

:roll Combine 1/2 cup very warm, organic raw agave syrup* with
1/2 cup 100% cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp vanilla, and pinch of salt
(if desired, thin with warm water). Whisk to combine,
then refrigerate overnight; stir before first serving.

* Agave syrup has a low glycemic index (blood sugar response)
... and complemental flavor for chocolate syrup! ;)

:idea: Tip: Anchor Hocking 16 oz Cafe Mug (clear glass) is ideal
for whisking** up to 1 cup of liquid ingredients - even eggs!
A heavy, microwaveable mug with rounded bottom inside.

** Roll handle back and forth between your hands.

Rod :D
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I am wishing after reading through the EZ Chocolate Syrup recipe that we had bought some low sugar ice cream while at the store today. Oh my and now I am thinking of a banana split! :bana: sigh...I wonder if a split can be made with Greek yogurt sweetened with a little stevia. :mrgreen:
Hey, thanks for the great recipe. I can't wait to give it a try. :D

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: A diabetes discovery journey ...

I still haven't "bonded" with golden flax meal, but have been trying. Flax meal easily becomes gummy with too much stirring in liquids; to avoid this, stir in quickly as the recipe's final ingredient. Today's experimentation has potential: combine with mustards and similar condiments to increase dietary fiber - the flavor is often complemental and the fiber is not that noticeable! ;)

:idea: About chia seed (it's becoming a daily, late-evening snack) ...

:arrow: Combine 1/2 cup organic unsweetened applesauce with 1 tbsp chia seed and sprinkle on cinnamon; then, have a few teaspoons of plain applesauce to clear the palate. Caution: chia seed requires good hydration (drink adequate water during the day). Tip: mix each bite with saliva in your mouth, then swallow without chewing - applesauce provides good moisture for swallowing and the seed absorbs moisture during transit "down below" (the reason for Caution:) ... and your teeth will appreciate not having to grind the tiny pebbles. :roll:

:scratch: Who knew? Coarsely ground corn (often sold as "polenta") is a very convenient food for refrigeration with use later. When cooked with minimal ingredients, this "porridge" easily complements a main course (think of it as mashed potatoes with beneficial fiber; buy organic ground corn whenever available for best nutrition):

:arrow: In a medium pan, rinse 1 cup of ground corn in fresh water several times, pouring off tiny pieces that float to the surface. Drain well, then add 2 3/4 cups water (rinsing causes some absorption of water). Bring to a soft boil, then simmer about 5 min. stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 tsp salt (or try 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar), then allow to cool before refrigeration in a covered container. 8) Some cultures refrigerate this mixture in a loaf pan so that it can be sliced and briefly fried in oil or butter when served.

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Prune Whip

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Prune Whip - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p189880

Chocolate Prune Whip II (another version, easier and healthier)

This must be one of the world's healthiest chocolate treats - no added fat or sugar and it's diabetic-friendly (IMO). Add (or substitute) other spices if you prefer, but no sugar or other sweetener ... at least, "Not on my watch!" (but supervision is limited to my home kitchen).

:arrow: Soak a 9oz can of dried prunes* in 2 cups of just-boiled water 5 min., then move prunes to a deep bowl and add 2/3 cup of the soaking water. Whip prunes with an electric hand blender (use plastic wrap at top of bowl to limit splatter) until mixture is smooth.

Stir in 1/2 cup 100% cocoa powder, then 1/2 tsp vanilla, and a pinch of salt; if desired, add more soaking water to thin. Cover bowl (or transfer to a container with lid) and refrigerate until chilled; stir again before first serving.

:idea: * Other dried, pitted prunes may be used but might require longer soaking time; quantities are flexible, so adapt as desired! For convenience, microwave water in a quart glass measuring cup to use later as a bowl (save soaking water in another container while whipping prunes).

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for that Rod,
I was happy to see that prunes, though providing that delicate sweetness in your recipe, were also low glycemic :bana: (here's a nice quick reference on quite a few foods some of us may eat every day. http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/ ) Anyway your recipe sounds absolutely delicious and I was just thinking yesterday how I would enjoy a bit of chocolate pudding...but it is next to impossible in our area to find low sugar products of that sort. So thanks for the reminder about Chocolate Prune Whip and making it easier to create then ever before. It should give George's sweet tooth a run for its money... in a healthy way of course. ;) :sunflower:

xxSandy

Gosh dates!!!! They are loaded! :shock:
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

Prunes provide just enough sweetness that selected flavorings may convince sweet-toothers to try this.

And WOW! Some liqueurs would complement these flavors (served on the side or mixed in). :roll:
:idea: Or try the whip as a spread ... even on plain cookies, some breads, and many crackers!

Amigoo
Family

Golden Polenta

Post by Amigoo »

Golden Polenta

:o Who knew? Coarsely ground corn (often sold as "polenta") is a very convenient food for refrigeration with use later. When cooked with few ingredients, this "porridge" easily complements a main course (think of it as mashed potatoes with beneficial fiber; for best nutrition, buy organic ground corn). ;)

:arrow: In a medium pan, rinse 1 cup of ground corn in fresh water several times, pouring off tiny pieces that float to the surface. Drain well, then add 2 3/4 cups water (rinsing causes some absorption of water). Bring to a soft boil, then simmer about 5 min. stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 tsp salt (or try 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar), then allow to cool 8) before refrigeration in a covered container. Some polenta aficionados chill this mixture in a loaf pan so that it can be sliced and briefly fried in oil or butter when served.

:scratch: What makes it "Golden"? Just before refrigeration, stir in 1/4 cup golden flax meal. This last minute stirring minimizes the gumminess of flax meal (when stirred into liquids) and enhances the beneficial fiber of the mixture; the complemental flavor is a plus! Also, briefly sautéed onions and jalapeño peppers might be included to create a Mexican-style Polenta. Add complementary spices if desired - even serve with salsa and tortilla chips! maybe black beans! ... but I digress. Olé!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

What a great recipe! I love Polenta in cornbread but never thought about making, what my Grandmother would have termed, "mush" out of it. :) One of my favorite treats when we visited her in North Carolina was her liver mush for breakfast. Yep... that's right... liver was worked into the mush. It was and maybe still is for all I know, very popular over there and could easily be found in the grocery stores. The mush came in a loaf and was sliced and fried just as you suggested.

I like the idea of adding onions, jalapenos and of course, Golden Flax to the Polenta, providing great taste and solid nutrition. ( hot peppers I have read are surprisingly good for your stomach and digestion.)

Anyway, thank you for another "keeper" Rod. :cheers:

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Prune Whip

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Prune Whip II

:idea: Today's discovery (in a major health food store) of Blueberry Syrup made with only organic blueberries and organic grape juice concentrate led to a new flavoring for the Prune Whip: 2 tbsp of this syrup provides just enough flavoring and natural sweetness to balance the prune/chocolate mixture. What could be better (or equally tasty)? Organic black cherrry syrup or thick concentrate. :roll

The Food Design Team in this one-man kitchen, open past bedtime, quickly texted that such organic syrup is not "added sugar", has a lower glycemic index than sugar, and has beneficial and complementary antioxidants! :roll:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

It just keeps sounding better and better, Rod! Thank you!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Prune Whip

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p189880

The recipe for Chocolate Prune Whip was still not good enough for adaptation with other flavorings or spices. Two more ingredients created the desired foundational balance of texture/flavor: dark raisins and a bit of cinnamon. If desired, next check the spice rack or liqueur cabinet (Kahlúa comes to mind :roll: ) to experiment with more flavors.

:arrow: Soak a 9oz can of dried prunes* and 2/3 cup dark raisins in a quart glass measuring cup containing 2 cups of just-boiled water; soak this dried fruit about 10 min., then drain and save the soaking water. Pour 2/3 cup of the soaking water back into the measuring cup and whip prune mixture with an electric hand blender until desired smoothness; use plastic wrap at top of bowl to limit splatter.

Vigorously stir in 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp vanilla, then 1/2 cup 100% cocoa powder; add more soaking water to thin as desired. Cover bowl (or transfer to a container with lid) and refrigerate until chilled; stir again before first serving. ;)

* Other dried, pitted prunes may be used but might require longer soaking time.

Amigoo
Family

EZ Chocolate Syrup

Post by Amigoo »

Re: EZ Chocolate Syrup - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p191135

:idea: Chocolate Syrup (another healthy recipe):

:arrow: Whisk 3/4 cup 100% cocoa powder into 1/2 cup very warm water
that was heated with 1 tbsp walnut oil and 2 tbsp organic maple syrup.
Add more cocoa to increase thickness, more maple syrup for sweetness;
also tasty with 1/4 tsp cinnamon. ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod for these two new recipe ideas. I've recorded them in the UB Cooking Recipe Index and I'm sitting here wishing I had visited these pages last night when I needed an idea for a tasty apple dessert. sigh. I thumbed quickly through an old newspaper addition from my former home town and found a recipe for an apple crumble which smelled heavenly...and tasted yummy but was so full of sugar and fat (from the abundance of butter) that we quickly relegated it to the bottom of the freezer where at least a little effort is required to retrieve it. :lol: "With God as my witness"... I won't do that again!

Well each day is a new time to reaffirm the desire for a healthier lifestyle. So here we go again. :roll :D
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Apple Bread Pudding

Post by Amigoo »

Apple Bread Pudding

Not made with bread but with a batter substitute that provides similar texture and flavor. This "pudding" is great with all of the familiar bread pudding toppings and extras, such as whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, walnuts, and raisins.

:roll Ingredients:

1 cup spelt flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp white sugar

1 xlg egg
2 xlg egg whites
2/3 cup half & half
2 tbsp melted butter or oil

3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
5 large red apples, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

:arrow: Directions:

Lightly oil a 9" x 12" baking dish; pre-heat oven to 375F degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine spelt flour, all-purpose flour,
baking powder, baking soda, and white sugar.

In a small bowl, gently toss brown sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

Add chopped apples to a large bowl, then sprinkle on brown sugar mixture
and stir gently to coat apple pieces.

In a medium bowl, whip eggs, then add half & half and melted butter
and whip to combine. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir
just until combined.

Layer baking dish with alternating spoonsful of batter and apple mixture,
spreading batter as each spoonful is dropped. Bottom of baking dish
does not have to be covered completely with batter.

Top with chopped walnuts, reduce oven to 350F degrees, and bake one hour.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Oh now that one sounds heavenly with much less fat and sugar...Seriously I am ashamed to say how much sugar and butter was in that recipe... and truly I should have known better. :roll: :? :(

So Yeah! :bana: I have a much better option next time an apple dessert craving threatens to knock me off my "game." Thanks Rod!

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Nut Dip

Post by Amigoo »

Re: EZ Chocolate Syrup - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p191135

:idea: Chocolate Nut Dip (another healthy recipe):

:arrow: In a 2-cup glass measuring cup containing 1 cup hot water,
whisk in 1 cup 100% cocoa powder, then 1 tbsp sugar, 1/8 tsp cinnamon,
and 2 tbsp virgin coconut puree (thick, melted coconut oil).

Refrigerate overnight in a covered container before first serving.

:roll: What about Chocolate Prune Whip, et al.? "Been there! Done that!", but ...
This Nut Dip is now my favorite chocolate accompaniment to walnuts and pecans.

Other than subtle coconut flavor and minimal sweetness, it's just 100% chocolate "paste".
A good choice for a SIMPLE chocolate spread! (some may prefer 2 tbsp sugar).

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

A simple rule of thumb for better blood sugar control
(from a few months of experimentation):

Minimize consumption of food items that quickly deliver sugar (or convert to sugar),
including liquids, sweet treats, and flours. This and a balanced diet with reasonable
food portions and exercise provide easier control of diet-related blood sugar. 8)

Hmmm ... this hints that diabetes is a modern-era disease. ;)

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: Speaking of discovery ...
Pure citrus pectin, sometimes sold as a thickener for jams and jellies,
mixes easily enough with applesauce to increase one's daily fiber.

Try 1 cup of applesauce with 1 tsp pectin and 1/4 tsp cinnamon.
Suggested serving size: 1/2 cup :roll

A whisk makes mixing easier; another glass of water during the day
will help the pectin provide its dietary benefit. ;)

Amigoo
Family

EZ Peach Casserole

Post by Amigoo »

EZ Peach Casserole

A breakfast (or snack) concept more than a recipe, pairing cooked oat bran with canned peaches, brown sugar and spices. By simmering oat bran in more water but for less time, the resulting "broth" can be saved for soup and the fibrous bran used for this easy peach dish. This casserole is baked for a short time to allow the flavors to blend and ingredients to be heated evenly.

3 1/2 cups water
1 cup High-Fiber Oat Bran*
2 15oz cans sliced peaches, lightly drained
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
1/4 tsp salt

* a product (Bob's Red Mill High Fiber Oat Bran) that is essentially
fine ground oat bran; less-coarse oat bran can often be substituted
(or cook coarse oat bran a bit longer).

Lightly oil a 9" square baking dish; pre-heat oven to 325F degrees.

In a small bowl, lightly toss brown sugar with cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.

In a medium pan, bring water to a soft boil, then reduce heat and slowly stir in oat bran.
Cook 5 min., stirring frequently then strain, saving broth for refrigeration once cooled.

Spread oat bran on bottom of baking dish, layer on sliced peaches, then sprinkle on
brown sugar mixture; if desired top with chopped walnuts or sliced almonds.

Bake uncovered about 30 min. (allows flavors to blend).

Serve warm (or cold) for breakfast, brunch, or snack ... maybe with a dollop
of whipped cream (even butter or maple syrup when this dish is served hot).

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I adore peaches! :bana: YUM! YUM! YUM! You can bet, I will be making this tasty recipe as soon as I can buy some more oat bran. :mrgreen:
Thanks Rod!
xxSandy
I went ahead an listed it under casseroles in the index. It stands out nicely there. ;)
Amigoo
Family

Dilly Cheese Bites

Post by Amigoo »

Dilly Cheese Bites

10oz package Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
3 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tsp garlic granules
3 tbsp dried dill weed
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

In a medium bowl, add diagonally-cut cheese sticks, coat with olive oil,
then sprinkle on 1 tsp garlic granules, stir gently, then sprinkle on
3 tbsp dried dill weed and stir again.

Drizzle on 1 tbsp vinegar (or oil & vinegar salad dressing), then
stir gently; refrigerate for several hours before serving.

Note: Too much liquid will cause dill to rinse off cheese bites.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I shall look a bit closer in the cheese section for mozz cheese sticks... Not sure they have them in our local shops but if they do...Yum! ( I love dill by the way..one of my favorite herbs. what an awesome smell it adds in the garden! )
Thanks, Rod, for another winner! :sunflower:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Dilly Cheese Bites - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p191260

Add parboiled red bell peppers and steamed garlic cloves
for a tasty upgrade to Chilly Dilly Snackin' Stuff. :roll

:idea: Say rapidly three times to entertain guests
(not "rapidly, rapidly, rapidly", but try this after CDSS)

Sandy
Staff

Lemon Coconut Truffles

Post by Sandy »

"chilly Dilly snackin stuff" I only could say it three times before it all fell apart. :lol:

Hey, I have a recipe I tried this week that I meant to make almost 2 months ago. Oh well, but late then never. These little bites are a tidy little bit of tart sweetness and not super bad for you either, just watch the portion size especially if you are diabetic or pre diabetic.
So here it is... from the Hallelujah diet people http://www.myhdiet.com/Fall-In-Love-Wit ... -truffles/

Lemon Coconut Truffles

Ingredients:

1 cup dates, pitted
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, and a little extra for coating the truffles
1 cup raw cashews, pre-soaked and dried
½ T. vanilla extract
¼ cup lemon juice
Zest of one lemon
¼ tsp. sea salt
2-3 T. water, for blending

1. In a food processor, add your cashews and blend down to a fine meal.
2. Add in the coconut, and pulse until well blended.
3. Add in dates, vanilla, lemon juice and zest, and sea salt, and blend well, stopping frequently to scrape the sides of the processor with a soft spatula.
4. Slowly drizzle in water as needed to help blend, but don’t add too much. You don’t want the mixture to be too wet.
5. Using your hands, roll into ¾ - 1 inch balls, and roll the balls in some extra shredded coconut.
6. Spread onto a plastic tray or plate, and let them set in the fridge for a couple of hours. 7. Serve and enjoy.

Now I cheated just a smidgen when I made them this week because I did not have any cashews. But that morning I did make fresh almond milk so I used the left over almond pulp from the milk and I must say I was impressed. If using the moist almond pulp from almond milk you definitely do not need much added water to reach the right consistency for rolling the lemon balls. The next time I try this recipe, though, I will definitely use cashews and let you know about the differences I discover. But all in all, I was quite happy with the taste especially considering the extra enzyme nutrition the sprouted almond milk provided. This recipe is definitely worth a try if you enjoy a strong lemony-sweet taste.

* It is also very worth the extra effort to use fresh juice directly from a lemon as you need the zest anyway, (instead of store bought bottle lemon juice) The large lemon that I used had to be the juiciest one I have ever come across. I kept thinking all day how wonderful a tall glass of lemonade would have tasted. But the truffles were the next best thing and when kept in the refrigerator they are a lovely cool treat filled with natural energy.

I hope you enjoy them as much as I have.
Love,
Sandy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

When I went to post this in the index I realized I had already posted the recipe... :oops:
So I wound up deleting my first introduction post as I had not made it yet and went with the one above as it contained both the original recipe reference site as well as my own experience of actually making them.
xxSandy