Laurel Kaye, Finalist for One-Way Mission to Mars

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Laurel Kaye, Finalist for One-Way Mission to Mars

Post by happyrain »

:shock: =O
Is this real? I stumbled across this through flipboard earlier today. WOW
Meet Laurel Kaye, the 21-Year-Old Finalist for the One-Way Mission to Mars

Once upon a time, women weren't allowed to even think of becoming an astronaut, but now one New York-area woman could be headed to live on Mars.

Laurel Kaye, 21, took countless childhood trips to the Hayden Planetarium at the American Museum of Natural History, hoping one day to become an astronaut. Now, she's one of 100 finalists vying for a spot on the crafts headed into outer space.

Dutch entrepreneur Bas Lansdorp founded Mars One in 2011. The mission: to colonize the red planet of Mars with eight people by the year 2028. While this sounds like plot of some epic sci-fi film, it's very real—but there are a few snags sparking controversy.

The biggest one? All of the space travelers selected and sent on the mission will never be able to return home.

Wait, what?!

Yes, you read that right. The current cost for a one-way trip is an estimated six billion dollars. Including a return trip would hike the budget to an estimated $90 billion according to NASA. Currently, Mars One has hardly raised 0.6 percent of the one-way budget.

That means selected space cadets must say adieu to Earth commodities and hello to space-food-in-a-tube. Forever.

And while Mars One applicants are eager to head to space, they have yet to undergo rigorous mental and physical training like that of NASA astronauts. Twenty-four hopefuls will advance to the final round where they will train in a simulated Martian environment, likely some polar vortex hinterland, considering nightly temperatures on Mars can plummet to minus 100 degrees Fahrenheit. *Brrr*

Despite all of these drawbacks, Kaye is ready to take the mission by the horns. "I don't see myself as dying on Mars. I see myself as living on Mars," she told the New York Daily News.

While the future of Mars One looks pretty bleak, the potential is enough to keep hope alive. "Whether it succeeds or fails, we stand to learn so much from something like this," Kaye said. "At some point you just have to be the first person to do something. Otherwise nothing is going to happen."

Right on, girl.
http://www.marieclaire.com/culture/news ... -finalist/
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Re: Laurel Kaye, Finalist for One-Way Mission to Mars

Post by Sandy »

Hey Eric,
I don't know if this is real or not as this is the first time I've heard about this. I am leaning towards not being real because there is still so much we don't know about the Red Planet to even begin to consider sending someone to such isolation and lonely death by the year 2008.

It would be exciting but when thinking about the day in and day out happenings of living so isolated... gosh it could be torturous for most people knowing there would be no relief. Still when thinking about spiritual hermits in a cave...maybe some people would not be put off by the enormous down side.

But seriously, think of the things little and small that add value to our lives... It would be reprehensible that the promoters of such a Mars campaign would even consider allowing a one way voyage. Billions of dollars are spent every day on far less notable and less worthy endeavours. This is basically using human life as lab rats with the lab being Mars and it makes no difference if they are willing. People are willing to commit suicide too but does it make it alright if you hand them the "weapon" to do so?
How can anyone know how they will feel in 1 year, 5 years, 10 years etc... of isolation. :(
Shoot by being stuck on Mars they wouldn't even be able to enjoy the accolades of the accomplishment... but I guarantee someone else would get rich at their expense. (Boy does that sound cynical :oops: )

I must be honest as much as I would love to see exploration of space, I would hate to see this young girl or anybody else placed in this kind of predicament and for what? Being the first to Mars? Nope...they must come home! It must be a two way trip or it is an exercise in cruelty.

Listen to me going on about something that may not even be real.. LOL Geez at this rate George will be signing me up for this Mar's Mission to get some relief himself! :roll :mrgreen:
Love to you and your sweetie ...oh and Happy Easter!
Sandy :albino:
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
nasra1996
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by nasra1996 »

It was on the news a couple of weeks ago, it's real.. Didnt know they were sending only eight though. It must be heartbreaking for the familes involved, silly how they can't return and that we have a price and limited budget on space exploration atall..
"Only from the heart Can you touch the sky" Rumi

"Righteousness strikes the harmony chords of truth and the melody vibrates throughout the cosmos, even to the recognition of the infinite." UB
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

It is real in that there is a PR machine. Here's how the project looks from an insider's point of view.

https://medium.com/matter/mars-one-insi ... fef95217d3

Oh well...

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Welles,
Is it just me, or from that interview does it seem that Mars One is, in reality, a scam of sorts, perpetrated by those in charge of the thing? It doesn't sound like the families of any potential astronaut candidates for this proposed Private mission to Mars have anything to worry about...
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Sandy wrote:Thanks Welles,
Is it just me, or from that interview does it seem that Mars One is, in reality, a scam of sorts, perpetrated by those in charge of the thing?

It sure seems to be only a money making scheme from the observatons of Dr. Joseph Roche. :roll:

Welles
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

What interest me is the fact that this could happen. Maybe not any time soon, where the original article states only 0.6% of the budget has been achieved. I am intrigued more so by the rapid evolution of what was once seen as science fiction become reality.
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hey Eric,
I am intrigued more so by the rapid evolution of what was once seen as science fiction become reality.
One of the young Mormon Missionaries we met over the last 6 month's father is working for NASA on a projected mission to Mars. That's all I know about it, though, and I doubt he could tell me much more. Sadly he is not in this area any more. :(
Some day I suspect a human/group of humans will be on their way to the Red Planet. :finger: Let's hope it is done the right way and the trip's budget includes the ride home! And let's hope I am alive to see it! :mrgreen:
hugs,
Sandy