Hostage to the Devil

Discussions of spiritual books
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Hostage to the Devil

Post by Geoff »

This book, is written by Malachi Martin, a Catholic Cleric. It was initially published in 1976 and is subtitled "The Possession and Exorcism of five contemporary Americans."

I bought this book, to learn more about the church process of exorcism. The book was recommended by M Scott Peck, a psychologist and author I have enormous regard for. He was himself present at one of these, and so I was willing, indeed eager to read this book.

But, as always, one raises new questions. Martin has done a very fine job of trying to get into the minds of all the folks involved, both before, during and after exorcism. Of course he has his explanations, some of which I would be unwilling to accept, because I have moved on from Catholic doctrine. Still, it remains largely unidentified why some of these folks were indeed so possessed. That they consented, appears the case, but they really had no idea what they were consenting to. Still a puzzle, is why these folks? They did not seem to be "bad", although of course many folks have deep secrets. And "bad" can be purely of the mind. I still suspect the Law of Attraction plays a role, but its far from clear.

I started out reading this book with the view that the churches don't really know what they are doing. I have not yet finished it, and now I suspect, in these cases certainly, that its possible there was a level of evil beyond that which was ever experienced by Dr Irene Hickman, who I do consider the expert on these matters. I guess there are things we really battle to know, even so, it never stops me trying to understand. But I do think that one should respect evil for the danger it presents to the unwary, and unprotected. Until we have grown into wonderful energy beings of the light, we need to be wary, and keep our guides close.

(Please review the comments on this page as regarding this book: http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18556 because I now suspect that the 5 cases here may in fact have been "dramatised" )
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
LolaandLight
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Hostage to the Devil

Post by LolaandLight »

I want to read this but the title of your post has me scared. I don't know why the concept of exocism and possession bothers me so much. But, it does. Maybe I should never have seen the movie the Exorcist. Could you point me to the areas where it goes into reincarnation and the stuff that is in the Bible? That way I don't have to scan the book and end up with nightmares.
Lola
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

LolaandLight wrote:I want to read this but the title of your post has me scared. I don't know why the concept of exocism and possession bothers me so much. But, it does. Maybe I should never have seen the movie the Exorcist. Could you point me to the areas where it goes into reincarnation and the stuff that is in the Bible? That way I don't have to scan the book and end up with nightmares.
Dear Lola,

You have gotten confused. This book has nothing to do with reincarnation. I went back and discovered the cut and paste posted the wrong link. Sometimes that happens with pdfs. Sorry. Try that other thread link again.

Also, I did not write this book, its written by a Catholic priest. But I have now made an extract of this book, of how easy it is to get the start of what subsequently became full possession. I have to say I am concerned myself how innocently these appear to start.

love,
Geoff
LolaandLight
Family

Post by LolaandLight »

Yeah, I do believe that this happens. What really scared me, and I swear this is the truth. A little after I posted the coment about being afraid of this stuff, I heard a man whisper something. It was too low to clearly make out what was said. But, I distinctly heard a man whisper. See why this stuff spooks me? Probably just a passing spirit. I hope so.
Lola
mm1111
Family

Post by mm1111 »

Dear Geoff-

Oh boy, this has me very very worried. I dont know if you remember but I think I posted somethiing about one experience I had of sitting on my bed and was talking to what I thought was my teacher when I began to feel like I was him, looking through his eyes and seeing my room differently and myself in the mirror. It all seemed so wonderful then. I think I need to get that money soon and have him removed. Completly freaked out now, what have I done? :cry:
Follow your heart
LolaandLight
Family

Post by LolaandLight »

You can put up a firewall. Before I knew this stuff happens, I became friends with this guy a work who turned out to be spying on me for my boss. He became my friend just to report back to my boss what was going on in my life and how I thought about things. I thought this guy (completely platonic) was my best friend and that we had a wonderful link. Right before the phone would ring, I knew he was calling. Well, at one point, I figured out what was going on. One time he said to me "why does everything have to be spoken? why can't it just be minds sharing". At first I attributed it to the fact that he had been drinking.

Then, one night I was in bed just thinking to myself and I "felt" he was there in my head. My teachers showed me how to put up a firewall. What I would do was pray that God would protect me, including my mind. I pictured myself sitting in a chair and a circle of fire around me. The thing is, and I am sure that this is important, you should make it clear that your intent is to have the ring of fire there to protect you and keep anyone that means you harm from entering your mind. Otherwise, you could be strong enough to produce a real ring of fire at some point. It has to be clear that it protects you, not threatens you.

I later did this again when this person I met on another site did the same thing to me. I forget what the term is--psychic stalker or something. I have known other people that it has happened to. Anyway, this guy was trying to get me to sign up for his spiritual classes. I told him that I didn't want to, no offense to what he was offering. He was selling books or tapes or something. I think it was his way of supporting himself and he was desparate because no one was purchasing the stuff. He tried to prove to me that he had "powers". He began to tell me all of the things that had concerned me about myself when I was a kid. He told me he could get in my head if he wanted. One day I was at a red light and felt something wierd inside. Then, all of a sudden, the emotions that I felt when I was a kid that weren't so good about myself flooded over me. I immediately put up the ring of fire and he backed away and never came back. If they know you know and know how to protect yourself, they back off. The thing is they want someone to prey upon to make themselves feel powerful. So, no fear okay?

Don't feel as if you did something wrong. We sometimes stumble into cow paddies. Just ask for help to get block him out if you don't want to use my method. Don't fear it as there is nothing to fear.
Lola
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Lola,

I like that idea of a ring of fire.

About this book. Probably seven or eight years ago I consciously looked for a book covering this subject. I could not find this one, instead I found a book by a journalist, who after a few years research concluded that while there were lots of folks conducting exorcisms, he was never able to attend any service where he was in any way convinced that there was a real discarnate evil entity that he could discern.

I now think it was important I NOT find this book, at that time. Obviously now is the time. But, this book was mailed to me by Amazon, and went to New Zealand for about four weeks, till it came here to Aus. So? Who was interfering?

Anyway, my intention is absolutely to EDUCATE, but not scare. Its like driving a car. If you don't learn properly, you will kill someone, if not yourself.

love,
Geoff
LolaandLight
Family

Post by LolaandLight »

If you don't learn properly, you will kill someone, if not yourself.
Geoff--no doubt.
Lola
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by reluctantmesiah »

Hello,

I just read some parts of this book....Does Dominic possession still happen now that Lucifer is gone? As I remember reading in the book that the people who were possessed talked about 'the kingdom' and Lucifer.

Love

Raj
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.

- Mother Teresa
Wild River Rose
Busy Bee

Post by Wild River Rose »

Hi Geoff,

I am also interested to know if things are different since the final adjudfication of the Lucifer rebellion..
Many thanks,
WWR
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Wild River Rose wrote:Hi Geoff,

I am also interested to know if things are different since the final adjudfication of the Lucifer rebellion..
Many thanks,
WWR
Dear Raj and WWR (wondering why its not WRR?)

Possession, and obsession never had anything to do with Lucifer, certainly not post Pentecost. That they refer to Lucifer and devils in the book, is simply because they are Catholics, and that's their term of reference. I would expect that obsession or possession can still occur, even after the adjudication. We still have millions of evil dead folks.

love,
Geoff
Wild River Rose
Busy Bee

Post by Wild River Rose »

Thanks for the clarification Geoff - (the WWR instead of WRR must be a little of my dyslexia coming through :? )
tinalina
New Friend

Post by tinalina »

After the Bible, this is my favorite book.
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Tina,

Welcome.

Thats a strange book to be your favourite. Especially since there are so many other wonderful books around. Many people are very scared to read about things such as happen in this book.

love,
Geoff
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Geoff-
I read your link to Dr. Irene Hickman at the top of this page and was totally blown away by what she does. Very interesting. Many thanks for that.

I can certainly understand why many people are scared to read about such things! Acknowledging a "thing" or even simply giving credence to a "thing" can help to to give that "thing" substance in your life!
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

JohnR wrote: Acknowledging a "thing" or even simply giving credence to a "thing" can help to to give that "thing" substance in your life!
Dear John,

Well its fear that is the real danger. These things exist, whether we acknowledge them or not, but the only way they gain any "power" is via our fear.

love,
Geoff
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Very insightful. I hadn't really considered that, but I know what you say is very true. Thank-you Geoff.