The Urantia Book

Discussions of spiritual books
Rhonda
Busy Bee
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: The Urantia Book

Post by Rhonda »

Hello Everyone, :hithere

Thank you so much for this thread. I found the Urantia website and am reading about the life and teaching of Jesus right now. Fascinating.

If there is a discussion group I would like to talk about it at some later time. I want to absorb the info first and think about it. I'm at the beginning and have a ways to go.

Rhonda :loves
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Dear Rhonda,

I have signed you up.

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
fishtex
New Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by fishtex »

In case anyone is interested there is also a free Urantia book app available on iPhone called "Big Blue Book". I don't know about Android OS devices.

It's a lot easier to carry around than the big book!

Greg
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Certainly you can install Kindle on Iphone and other devices and there is a very low cost (free?) Kindle version of the Urantia Book. But I would find that device a bit small for reading, I think.

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
ruthnfla
Old Friend

Post by ruthnfla »

I have it on my kindle and I-pad and you can make the print any size you want.
With every prayer, I wish you Love!
ruthnfla
Old Friend

Post by ruthnfla »

The Kindle "app" is free and you can download your books to all your ipads, kindles, etc. I just sent all my books to my I-Pad for my trip last week, it was nice not to have to carry the i-pd and the kindle on the plane.
With every prayer, I wish you Love!
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I was reading How The Urantia Papers Came by Webster Stafford. (link changed)

The next to the last paragraph has this to say:

"In one instance, one of the papers was announced as being a few days late because the deity which was appointed to produce the material could not use English, and it took him a matter of a few days, or less, in order to acquire a sufficient knowledge of the English language, so that the material could be written. It was interesting to observe that when the material came through, the English was just about as perfect as it could possibly be. All the way through, the language is one of the most perfect character in existence throughout the English-speaking world today. The words are remarkable, the choice of English outstanding, and I doubt whether any authority on the English language would disagree with the statement, that it represents the finest piece of English literature today."

This is really remarkable, a very powerful statement!

Does anyone have a clue which paper the author is referring to here? :)
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

A recent contribution to Urantia Book FAQs ...

:?: What's the difference between the "Urantia Book" and the "Urantia Papers"?

Prior to the 1990s, before the internet's worldwide impact on culture and commerce, "Urantia Book" referred to a published compilation of the Urantia Papers, the fifth epochal revelation to our planet (Urantia). As a printed book (first published in 1955 with a hard cover), the Urantia Book contains a Table of Contents, the Foreword, all 196 Papers, and an Index.

Currently on the internet, "Urantia Book" may refer to an an exact electronic reproduction of a printed edition with its page and paragraph numbering or it may refer to alternate presentations of the Papers. These presentations of displayed or downloadable text may be identified as the "Urantia Book, Urantia Papers, Book of Urantia" or by other names which do not always include the term "Urantia".

Since the English text of the Urantia Book is in the public domain, some of the Papers (or selected paragraphs of the Papers) now appear on web pages as a subset of the total set of 196 Papers. The majority of these web pages identify the Urantia Book (or Urantia Papers) as the source of the material. However, some web pages neither identify the source nor provide links to other sites which maintain the complete set of Papers. Also, paraphrased and/or condensed versions of the Papers have been published as printed books or are available online; some not including the word "Urantia" in their titles.

Because the individual Papers often refer to other parts of this revelation, a home library (or computer) should maintain a complete set of the Papers for reference. Variable text search, point & click indexing from a Table of Contents and a robust topical index are becoming popular new features of some digital editions of the Urantia Papers.

In Urantia Book study groups where participants use different media to read the Papers, page numbering is losing importance since electronic books, laptop and tablet computers often provide user-selected display options. But the standardized Section/Paragraph numbering of current editions of the Papers facilitate easy synchronization for all study group participants. Also, current editions of the Papers include text corrections recommended by the joint Fellowship/Foundation Standardized Reference Text committee - some of the more recent text changes may not be present in much earlier versions of the printed and online Urantia Papers.

:!: In summary, "Urantia Book" refers to the human compilation of the material received as our planet's fifth epochal revelation: the "Urantia Papers". A Urantia Book always includes a Table of Contents and alphabetized Index (some editions also include a Topical Index). A Urantia Book may be a printed book with a hard or soft cover or it may be a digital file which is displayed online or can be downloaded; the Urantia Papers usually appear as a digital file only.

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

There are many "free Urantia" offerings on the internet now that include the complete set of 197 Urantia Papers (including the Foreword) in various media: printed books, text files, PDF files, audio files, online web pages, YouTube videos, etc.. Even abridged versions, partial versions and paraphrased versions may be read online or downloaded - most of these versions identify the original Urantia Papers as the source of the material but some do not.

Of course, negative commentary about the UB is slowly increasing in response to the rapidly increasing worldwide exposure of the Papers. However, this commentary typically reflects the opinions of those who just skimmed the pages or who expect this "fifth epochal revelation" to uphold their favorite sacred book (the UB is not a sacred book ... even by admission of its celelstial authors).

The following resource, designed especially for the vision-impaired and for those who use computer screen readers on Win32 PCs, is a recent addition to the "free Urantia" offerings. The Urantia Papers are compiled as a 3MB executable file with a point & click Table of Contents and a text Search feature. Click on the image on this page to download the Zip file to review the Quick Guide and see screen display samples: http://aitnaru.org/theub.html
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod,
I find both your posts very helpful in light of the sea of Urantia offerings out there on the internet now. I am sure many people appreciate your own work in bringing a helpful, vision- friendly internet source of this amazing book to the masses.
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

From the developer's notebook ...

The page link attached to the "&" at the top of the page was intended only to test this HTML heading, but was forgotten later. So, it becomes a hidden "tip of the hat" to the midwayers for their assistance to our dissemination projects. And the Created/Modified/Accessed times in "thePapers.gif" information file are quite interesting! ;)

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://aitnaru.org/theub.html

The download executable file was replaced by a new ePub file (for eBook readers) and was tested on several PC-based eBook readers. I'll test it on an 8" Coby tablet later this week (and expect tablets to keep gaining market share because of their computer-like features). The executable file might be attached to a different web page later.

Re: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... pubreader/

This Firefox browser addon is a good way to test (or use) the ePub file on a PC. The ePub file is now packaged as a Zip file which also contains sample screen shots, a Quick Guide and suggested Preferences for the Firefox addon. :roll

This ePub file contains 'point & click' indexing from an internal Table of Contents (TOC - one part by Paper titles; another part by Paper/Section titles) as well as indexing from the Sections list at the beginning of each Paper. The ePub-generated TOC is also active, but seems to be unnecessary when the eBook (created as a single page) is displayed as a web page (via ePub reader user Preferences).

Incidentally, with such a PC-based eBook reader, a portable eBook reader may be unnecessary if you're accustomed to traveling with a laptop, netbook or tablet computer. :idea:

Rod ... :bike:
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thank you Rod! Well done! This will benefit lots of people. You are an amazing man and doing much to inspire all of us to find our own "yellow brick road."
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Thanks for the feedback, Sandy

This has been a good opportunity to create an independent, unaffiliated, digital version of the Papers (but there are many other English versions in different media). Most UB readers still prefer the printed Book, but the trend suggests that digital media is gaining popularity fast.

This ePub version will be good for its electronic convenience and easy distribution. And those who prefer to concentrate more on the words of our Revelation and less on persons and organizations promoting it will appreciate the effort. 8)

To say that it was edited carefully would be an understatement - I also listened to the UB audio (within 70 days) to validate every word in the input HTML file. I felt obligated to confim that the "TUP 'n 70" reading challenge was achievable (it is, but not easy, considering how many distractions we usually have each week.

The squared circle design on the first page of the ePub file is this editor's only "signature". :hithere

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Oh my goodness, Rod! Editing your computer savy Urantia Book would be quite a task...but one that would benefit a soul considerably I would think. ;) I used to wonder at the work that must have been involved in the making of a Urantia Book Concordance. I have a copy by Clyde Bedelle and to think...how much information you would assimilate and the degree you would need to know this massive book back to front...Well it is awesome! I must admit his work benefited me so many times. I take my hat off to all of you using your talents to benefit your fellow earth siblings!
Love,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

My "Karotumus" comment online refers to this new ePub file that is now being distributed without cost or affiliation with persons or organizations: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... pubreader/ . Publishers of the UB should not worry (yet) - most UB readers still prefer printed text, but the trend indicates that this preference is changing rapidly. 2012 is the year that portable eBook devices accumulated an impressive variety of features and were complemented with much lower prices.

Software providers deserve much appreciation for making ePub readers freely available for use on PCs and non-eBook devices. These electronic devices age rapidly enough without having to discard them earlier just to access this new digital information, designed for easy user-control of the displayed text. :bana:

I wish that reading the UB so fast (re: "TUP 'n 70") would have enlarged my comprehension - and retention - of this "tome", but it did not ... or maybe the material is now recorded in unused brain cells. My task was simply to compare audio to text to guarantee accuracy - new comprehension of the material was unimportant (but was appreciated when it occurred). This reading challenge does reveal the broad panorama of the Papers; a unique experience, symbolically comparable to a once-in-a-lifetime journey to Mecca. I exaggerate, of course.

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://aitnaru.org/homepage/commitment.html

Click on image to download Zip file; unzip into your favorite folder.
Click on Topical Reference.htm to use this new browser-based resource. :roll

If studying the Papers were any easier, it would not be called "study" (which requires effort and commitment).

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

The web pages were reorganized today: 8)

PC-based Topical Reference for the Papers: http://aitnaru.org/psymmetry.html
ePub book for the Papers: http://aitnaru.org/theub.html

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Now in development ... a web site hosting the Papers without advertising of products, persons or organizations
(except for the two links on the Home Page): http://www.theub.org/
Note: "theUB" = "the Urantia Blessing" :sunflower:

Or click on the design on the Home Pge to download the eBook.

The Foreword and Part I on this site are completed (but need a final review).

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.theub.org/

"theUB" = "the Urantia Blessing"

"It is finished." (a new web site hosting the Papers) :roll
Final review and editing will occur this week.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

((((((((((Rod))))))))))
From this one little recipient of your hard work I just want to say thank you for your tireless effort! :sunflower:
Well done!
Now it is time for something decadent. :mrgreen: (Wish I could give you a huge piece of chocolate mud cake!)
Love,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Thanks for the comment, Sandy

I had to settle for Pineapple Upside Down Cake tonight (but snacked on plenty of Halloween chocolates)
... and since you insist, I'm heading back for a bedtime snack. :D

Rod
~*Star_Struck*~
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by ~*Star_Struck*~ »

hi guys
i was lucky enough to find a Urantia Book app that i downloaded to my ipad, i love it. Its easier reading for me than the book itself. i feel like i can get my head around more. At the moment i'm reading The Life and Teachings of Jesus and really enjoying it. I feel like i'm learning so much. I have always known very little about the life of Jesus because i grew up with no religious instruction, it is an incredible amount to take in but so very uplifting.

Love
Star
Now i know the answer to the question:
Do dreams come true?
Still staring at the world
Through my rear view.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Star,
I'm in the fourth section too. :sunflower: Right now I'm reading about the beginning of Jesus's ministry with his apostles. I love reading about this as it shows the many personalities of the twelve... and like us, they often didn't understand Jesus's words or changed the message in their minds to something a bit more material rather than spirit...But It gives me hope that we too are made of the same stern stuff and we can learn and be moulded just as the apostles learned through their own life experience. Granted they certainly had a"leg up" as they lived and breathed the Master's wisdom. But so do we...just a little differently perhaps. ;)
Hugs,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.theUB.org/

Final editing was completed (again) - a technical update to make all web page "mouse over" highlighting consistent. :finger:

About the "Urantia Blessing"... :sunflower:

"theUB.org" is the domain name that was purchased earlier in the year but was not used, awaiting development time. This month, when considering how (and where) to host a new presentation of the Urantia Papers, "theUB.org" immediately became the perfect web domain name!

"The rest of the story" ...

Naturally, "theUB" could easily suggest "the Urantia Book" (and it will probably retain this secondary meaning). But its primary association is this following concept, derived from the story of Melchizedek in the Urantia Papers. The "Urantia Blessing" refers specifically to the primary message of our planet's continuing epochal revelations: the reality of a loving God in our spiritually-guided universe. The concept, briefly explained with quotes from the Papers: :arrow:

About 4000 years ago, this priest of Salem declared "I am Melchizedek, priest of El Elyon, the Most High, the one and only God" (93:2.1). A decade later, he sent an invitation to Abraham, saying "Come to Salem, where you shall hear our teachings of the truth of the eternal Creator" (93:5.5).

"And this preacher of a supernal God never ceased to proclaim this God of love. 'I dwell in the high and holy place, also with him who is of a contrite and humble spirit.' And once again did the fear-destroying gospel of Melchizedek ... shine forth for the blessing of mankind" (97:7.12).

In the spirit of Melchizedek, our planet's third epochal revelation, this "Urantia Blessing" has again appeared with the arrival of our fifth epochal revelation, the Urantia Papers (compiled and later published as The Urantia Book).

Rod