Sammy's computer tips

Please read these posts first if you are new here, because they will answer lots of your questions. Don't try to post here, because its limited to Admins deliberately.
George
Angel in waiting
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Sammy's computer tips

Post by George »

How to Highlight, Copy and Paste

Highlight

Highlighting text is the first essential step to making computer life easier. It will be a word used in many other techniques.

Take your mouse pointer to the beginning of the text you want to copy. Hold down your left mouse button dragging the mouse pointer to the end of the text you want to copy.

Release the left mouse button when you are finished.

Try it on the paragraph above. Notice the blue color (it may be a different color on your computer) appear over the text...You've highlighted!

Copy and Paste

I know it sounds like a lot of steps to remember, but once you've done it a few time is becomes automatic. (It took me quite a while to write the instructions because I had to actually walk myself through the steps...kind of like explaining how to breath to someone )

Highlight the text you want to copy and paste.

Click your RIGHT mouse button once and a little box will appear with several words in it.

Move your mouse cursor to the word "COPY"
Click the LEFT mouse button once.

Move your mouse cursor again to where you want the text to appear
Click the LEFT mouse button again

Click the RIGHT mouse button one more time (the box will appear again)
Move you mouse to where it says "PASTE"
Click the LEFT mouse button again.

Your text should appear!
NOTE: I am REALLY bad with "left" and "right" - so if it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what I typed wrong!

Printing TIP:

You can print this by Highlighting the text then go up to the top of you computer screen on the LEFT hand side.

Right mouse click on "File"
A box will drop down
Right mouse click on "Print"
A box should appear with printer options
Right mouse click on "Selection" (rather than "ALL" or "PAGES")
And it SHOULD print for you!
George
Angel in waiting

Post by George »

For those not familiar, an Avatar is the picture that appears next to your post. It can be you...or anything at all.

Here's how:

For you avatar try this first - if it doesn't work, I have another way to try (which works for inserting photos/images into posts.

First choose your picture and make sure the size is no larger than 150 pixels wide and 200 pixels high. If you need help with that let me know.

Make a note of where it is located on your computer because you'll need that info later.

Go to the 11:11 home page

At the top (to the left of where it says "you have no messages") Click on "profile".

Scroll all the way to the bottom of your profile page and you will see a section called "Avatar Control Panel"

In that section look for "Upload Avatar From Your Machine"

Next to that will be an empty box and a button "browse"

Click browse

This allows you to look through your computer files to find the picture you want to upload.

Once you find the file, DOUBLE click on it

Then scroll down a bit more and click on submit.
George
Angel in waiting

Post by George »

[color=darkblue][b]Inserting images and pictures into a post [/b][/color]

This is how to insert an image into a post

You'll need an a place to get a "URL"...I use www.photobucket.com. IT'S FREE, and pretty easy. There are other "photo hosting" sites around, this is the one I am familiar with.

So First go there and get a free account.

I usually do this with 2 *"tabs" (or *windows) open. (I have my post ready to go on one page or "tab", and photobucket open in a 2nd tab)

Then all you have to do is click the button that says "UPLOAD Images and video".

This will give you a "browse" button and you can look through your computer files to select your image.

Find your image, then click on "open"

The file will upload and then give you the ability to give the photo a name and other info. (I usually skip this step and click "return to album")

There you will find your image.

Put your mouse cursor over the image and right mouse click,
Choose "copy image address" from the list that come up.

Return to your the post you were creating, right mouse click and choose paste

Now highlight the entire image code that you just pasted and then click button up top that looks like a picture/postcard

[b]HINT/TIP[/b] before you click on "submit", click on "Preview". This will allow you to see if the image appeared properly in your post. If it did not appear, and you saw just the "code" that you copied from photobucket, try it one more time...be certain you copied the entire contents of the correct selection.

[i]*Tabs or windows are just another word for web pages. You can have more than one open at a time...you can even have the same site open on 2 tabs at the same time (which comes in handy when you are responding to a post or PM and want to keep referring back to it.)

**Highlight, Copy and paste instructions are posted in a seperate topic in this sticky.[/i]
Last edited by sammy on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: How to do it changed
George
Angel in waiting

Post by George »

How to insert a quote box in your message

Place your mouse at the beginning of the text you wish to quote.

*Highlight, copy, paste the text you wish to quote into your message.

Once the text appears in your message, highlight the portion you want to appear in a quote box.

Right mouse click on the box above you message that says "quote"

What will appear is your text with [ quote ] on both ends of your selection.

To see if you did it correctly simply click "Preview" below your message (rather than "Submit").

*Highlight, copy, paste instructions are posted in a separate topic in this sticky.
George
Angel in waiting

Post by George »

Making your post pretty

You can very easily jazz up your post by using some of the buttons above your post text.

When you are typing a post you will notice B i u buttons just below your "subject line".

Below the B i u buttons you will notice Font colour: Font size (both have "drop down boxes").

BOLD
Simply highlight the text you want to appear in bold and then right mouse click on the B

What will appear in your message text is your text with [ b ] at the beginning of your text and [ /b ] at the end of your text.

To make sure you did it correctly simply click "preview" below your message (rather than "submit").

-----------------------------------

Italics

Simply highlight the text you want to appear in italics and then right mouse click on the i button.

What will appear in your message text is your text with [ i ] at the beginning of your text and [ /i ] at the end of your text.

To make sure you did it correctly simply click "preview" below your message (rather than "submit").

---------------------------------

Underline

Simply highlight the text you want to be underlined and then right mouse click on the u button.

What will appear in your message text is your text with [ u ] at the beginning of your text and [ /u ] at the end of your text.

----------------------------------

COLOR of your Font

Highlight the text you want to change the color of
Right mouse click on the down arrow in the box that says "Default" (to the right of "Font Colour")
Right mouse click on the color you want.

Just as with Bold, Italics, Underline and Quote, a code will appear at the beginning and end of your text. To check your work click "preview" before you click "submit.

----------------------------------------

Font Size
Want to really get your point across?

Change your font size.

Again, Highlight the text that you want larger or smaller
Right mouse click on the down arrow in the box that says "Font Size"
Right mouse click on the size you want.

tiny

small

normal

large

huge

Just as with Bold, Italics, Underline and Quote, a code will appear at the beginning and end of your text. To check your work click "preview" before you click "submit.

-------------------------------------------

Hints/Tips
You can combine any or all of these feature.
For instance, to make something bold, italic, huge and violet you would
Highlight your text
Click bold
Hightlight your text again (INCLUDING THE CODES at the beginning and end of your text) then click italic
Hightlight your text again (INCLUDING ALL THE CODES at the beginning and end of your text) then click Font size and choose huge
Hightlight your text again (INCLUDING ALL THE CODES at the beginning and end of your text) then click "default" (next to font colour) and select the color you want.

See what I mean?