Parable: The Spring in the Desert

Post any poetry here. It's just too hard to define "inspired" in this context, so we will settle for that which inspires.
RunningScroll
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Parable: The Spring in the Desert

Post by RunningScroll »

A parable that describes the reliance on science alone from the perspective of the faith-driven religionist:

Three explorers are in the desert and need to find water, so they split up. One finds a pristine spring and fills her flask with the fresh water, the other two find nothing. Returning to camp by dusk, the one who found water, said she had found a beautiful spring a few kilometres away, and offers the other two a drink. The two reply: until we have found evidence of your spring, we will not drink your water.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Parable: The Spring in the Desert

Post by Sandy »

:lol: Thanks for the smile tonight Dylan! :sunflower:
I hope you are doing well.

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Ah yes here it is!

So, despite her having the water to share they refuse?

Would you be willing to elaborate how you experience this?
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I just saw an example of this parable yesterday on a documentary. It was about the way people experience their religious and spiritual faith. Some are passive and content to simply be with it and not push or cajole but still hold it close within themselves. (I am paraphrasing of course) and then there was a group that was interviewed, of a more determined group of Christians... courageous too as they were filmed having some kind of a outreach with an audience in a park and they were being heckled endlessly by a quite learned man demanding bonified evidence.

I guess faith is something very tangible when it is your own but slithers into vapour when you try to pass it on to someone who demands more then faith can provide.

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Thanks Sandy, faith is a great strength. I am also curious how Dylan has come to experience this parable, and whats been going on in his life considering this post and his debate with an atheist.

If you are inclined to share Dylan, fantastic!

I read from yesterdays Saki, words by our Sufi friend, that might elaborate on this a bit- I think there is wisdom to be found for anyone interested:
https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_29.htm

There's so much to extract, you can probably pick any paragraph and find something to offer.
...Skepticism is the germ that causes decay at the heart of the tree of life. But always when one tree dies, another tree springs up; we see in our own lives, and especially at times when we are sunk in depression and sorrow, that some answer comes to the difficulty of the situation. It may come from a friend, from a brother, from parents, from a beloved; one may even get what is necessary at such a moment from one's enemy. But why should a message only come in time of pain or after a great sorrow? Why should not a message come every day for one's guidance? There are two reasons for this: one is that there is constant guidance from above, but man, so absorbed in his life's activities, does not open his heart to listen to that message and to see where it comes from. And the other reason is that the deeper the sorrow, the higher the voice of the heart rises, until it reaches the throne of God; and that is the time when the answer comes.

This shows that there was a personality called Jesus Christ who brought the message; it was the personality that was Jesus. This is the secret of that Alpha and Omega spirit of Christ. If one could only see that spirit hidden behind different personalities one would be constantly in the vision of Christ.

As many souls as there are in the world, so many are their fancies and their fantasies. Many look favorably at a certain teacher, but as many do not. And there has never been one teacher in the world whom everyone regarded with favor. Praise cannot exist without blame, for nothing has existence without its opposite, just as pleasure cannot exist without pain. No one can be great and not small; no one can be loved and not hated. There is no one who is hated by all and not loved by some-one; there is always someone to love him.

If one would realize that the world of God, His splendor and magnificence, are to be seen in the wise and the foolish, in the good and the bad, then one would think tolerantly and reverently of all mankind, knowing that it represents the messenger, as the messenger represents God. For no one has seen God at any time, but if there is anyone who represents God, it is the man who speaks His word. God is seen in the one who glorifies Him. But if our hearts are closed, even if we wait for a thousand years for the messenger to show himself, we shall never find him. For he who is always there has said, 'I am Alpha and Omega. I exist every moment. When you call me, I am there. Knock at the door, and I will answer you.' And those whose eyes are open do not need to go to a church and look at a picture or statue of the Lord. In the eyes of every infant, in the smile of every innocent child, they receive the blessing of Christ.
Some of my favorites

And todays,
In reality there cannot be many religions; there is only one. There cannot be two truths; there cannot be two masters. As there is only one God and one religion, there is one master and there is one truth. And the weakness of man has been that only what he is accustomed to consider as truth he takes to be truth, and anything he has not been accustomed to hear or think frightens him. Just like a person in a strange land, away from home, the soul is a stranger to the nature of things it is not accustomed to. But the journey to perfection means rising above limitations, rising so high that not only the horizon of one country, of one continent, is seen, but that of the whole world. The higher we rise, the wider becomes the horizon of our view.
from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_29.htm
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity