If Circumstances Were Reversed

Post any poetry here. It's just too hard to define "inspired" in this context, so we will settle for that which inspires.
Seeker13
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Seeker13 »

As I stand here,
behind the illusion of becoming an enlightened individual,
finding myself with raised eyebrows in judgmental disbelief
at your words, actions, placement in life...

Please feel free to ask me,
“If circumstances were reversed,
what would be your words, actions, placement in life?”

Many of us are aware of the phrase,
“Walk a mile in someone else's shoes.”
If that were truly possible,
I wonder, “How would I fare?”

Beliefs of each individual,
all tied up in a tight little bundle
based on their specific experiences,
created their specific view of life,... reality.

Standing here in judgmental disbelief,
penetrating the fortified cocoon of self-righteousness,
… a small seed of query takes root,
“What would be the perception,
… if circumstances were reversed...........?”

Seeker13 January 13, 2019
And Spirit whispered, "There are no limits."

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: If Circumstances Were Reversed

Post by Sandy »

Ah now there's a poem to start the day with.... okay...It's nearly bedtime and I should be on my way as we have a busy day tomorrow... But hopefully my subconscious will take a few notes and ponder the poem's wise words as I rest...

Thank you, Kim... that one has hit "pay dirt."
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

Sandy,
Hope all your 'business' was tackled painlessly!

There seems to be so much DISSENT and BLAME flowing lately. I'm trying very hard to remember, "I can't do anything about anyone but myself, " and, "Everyone got to where they are today because of the of the struggles that brought them here."...I can pray for anyone... and be grateful it's not me beinge hurled into the fray.

Love to all,
Kim

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Kim,

You're right. Often we know the expression, to walk a mile, but give little thought to the meaning or of actually taking the time in stillness to ponder all that another person has endured. I think there's a difference in knowing something vs. understanding something.

It's a beautiful reflection and thank you for sharing.

I think your poem fits nicely with the wisdom from Hazrat Inayat Khan which was given to us over the last two days...

I'll share it here...
Yes, teach your principles of good, but do not think to limit God within them. The goodness of each man is peculiar to himself.

Bowl of Saki, January 15, by Hazrat Inayat Khan
In your reply on blame I find this relatable. He says a moral that "drags people by the neck" is the degeneration of religion...

The next day he goes on to elaborate,
To learn to adopt the standard of God, and to cease to wish to make the world conform to one's own standard of good, is the chief lesson of religion.

Bowl of Saki, January 16, by Hazrat Inayat Khan

Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

When people came to Christ accusing a person of doing wrong, the Master could not think of anything else but forgiveness. For he did not see in the wrongdoer what the others saw. To distinguish between right and wrong is not the work of an ordinary mind, and the curious thing is that the more ignorant a person is, the more ready he is to do so.

from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/VIIIa/VIIIa_2_2.htm

The religious man full of dogmas is often apt to make these too rigid and he expects the godly or God-conscious to fit in with his standard of goodness. If they do not fit in with his particular idea of piety he is ready to criticize them. But the thought and life of Krishna were used by the artist, the poet and the musician; and out of this came a new religion, a religion of recognizing the divine in natural human life.

from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_19.htm

Every mind has its particular standard of good and bad, and of right and wrong. This standard is made by what one has experienced through life, by what one has seen or heard; it also depends upon one's belief in a certain religion, one's birth in a certain nation and origin in a certain race. But what can really be called good or bad, right or wrong, is what comforts the mind and what causes it discomfort. It is not true, although it appears so, that it is discomfort that causes wrongdoing. In reality, it is wrongdoing which causes discomfort, and it is right-doing which gives comfort.

from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/XIII/XIII_17.htm
In the context of blame, I would say there is no room for peace in the individual pointing the finger... but if given time in stillness empathy may be developed and even greater, compassion. Forgiveness would cease the 'judgmental disbelief' and allow for the freedom of expression- in Love and Understanding.
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi guys,
All is well here... at least today. LOL

Thanks Kim for your words and Eric for that last Saki... Both went straight to the heart of something that occurred for us recently. cool... 8) and was good advice.

Hope a great week end is in store for all of you! :sunflower:
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

:hithere Eric,
I'm honored that anything I might say aligns with Hazrat Inayat Khan! Lol, and can be compared to wisdom.

I enjoyed all the excerpts included in your post, but liked his one in particular.
happyrain wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm it is wrongdoing which causes discomfort, and it is right-doing which gives comfort.
This is why I believe forgiveness is a gift we give to ourselves.

You said,
happyrain wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:26 pm In the context of blame, I would say there is no room for peace in the individual pointing the finger... but if given time in stillness empathy may be developed and even greater, compassion. Forgiveness would cease the 'judgmental disbelief' and allow for the freedom of expression- in Love and Understanding.
When did you become so wise?

Thank you so very much for the response,

Kim

Seeker13
Family

Post by Seeker13 »

Sandy,
Heres to having things turn out!
Sandy wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 amBoth went straight to the heart of something that occurred for us recently.
Want to share?

Hope EVERYONE has a great weekend! My plans are, going to a Dr. appointment, spending time with Nova, cleaning and moving the turtle tank at the Center( :x I LOVE cleaning the turtle tank, she says between clenched teeth), going to a Firemen's Supper with my sweetheart, finally having play time with Tiny on Sunday. Who by the way has her first karate class tomorrow. Oh, and I think it's time to take down the tree. Phew! Big plans! And hopefully doing it all with a non-judgmental attitude! :D

Love to you both, :loves
Kim

happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

thanks kim, that's very kind. i think i am far form it :lol: . i feel i'm at the crossroad of knowledge vs practical application. knowing better doesn't always mean being able to execute. relentless prayer, meditation and forgiveness will fan the flames.

sounds like you have a nice weekend ahead of you! i hope it's delightful.

gurunath has said, if you imagine me to be a friend- i am a friend. if you imagine to be your guru, i am your guru. if you imagine i am of little value, then i am of little value.

food for thought. he is a very wise man yet how limiting are our perceptions? enjoy!! :loves
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hello lovely people,

The week end is nearly done up there...hope it was a good one and wow, Kim, that is quite a list of "to do" Oh boy...cleaning the turtle tank...been there and done that I too say through "clenched teeth." LOL They are so darned cute though, don't you think?

Eric you wrote something...and yes... you are rather wise these days....
gurunath has said, if you imagine me to be a friend- i am a friend. if you imagine to be your guru, i am your guru. if you imagine i am of little value, then i am of little value.
It reminds me of something I saw on our news over the week end. It spoke of a representative at the state level of government who immigrated to the country over ten years ago. He was a wise and well loved member of the community but when he ran for state representative a terrible ad against him emerged that hit below the belt in regards to his life and chosen Sikh beliefs. The media was outraged as were his supporters. But you know what he did? He called the man and they met and talked got to know one another and the man asked for his forgiveness which was easily given. To this day they are good friends... I kept thinking how much was learned and the benefits of forgiveness illustrated with this story...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the whole world "imagined to be friends!"

Love,
Sandy