Very chunky but not too spicy. :roll

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Red Cabbage with Caraway

Post by Amigoo »

Red Cabbage with Caraway - http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/6 ... h-caraway/

This recipe was developed before I purchased my lifetime 5th pressure cooker.* The red cabbage needs but 2/3 cup water in this cooker and is ready in about 20 min. ... But fast-forward a few years ... :arrow:

:idea: Now, I cut the red cabbage into 1/2" cubes, pressure cook it about 12-15 min. (depending on quantity), then drench it in a simple sweet & sour sauce: 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tbsp dark brown sugar. Toss gently to soak cabbage in this sauce, then serve over cooked black rice, and top with cubes of a tangy (try Feta) or spicy cheese (try Harvarti with Horseradish and Chives).

Frequently, I devour the remaining cabbage cold (after overnight refrigeration), sometimes with sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt. :roll

* After purchasing each pressure cooker, I attempted to bond with it for a year, then let it hibernate in a lower cupboard a few years, then donated it to a used goods store. A few years later, I was again tempted by the convenience of this cooker. "Who can tell?" why it required 4 cycles of buy/test/discard, but this 5th cycle was magical (probably because I refused to send it to storage until I had used it a few dozen times - the bonding encouragement). ;)

Amigoo
Family

Kombucha Shocker

Post by Amigoo »

Kombucha Shocker

:roll: Well ... once you're past 60, it's OK to have a beer each year (exaggeration, but close to the truth*). Having decided to endure this North Texas heat a third year without home air conditioning (personal challenge more than necessity), cold drinks and various fans supported this trek across the desert.

My inner camel was overjoyed one day when I discovered a thirst-quenching combo (reserved as the day's reward): Equal portions of GT's Organic Raw Kombucha Original and Shock Top Belgium White beer, in a tall glass with ice cubes, and nestled in a coloful Koozie. Caution: this beer goes down fast because the drink is so refreshing! ;)

:study: * True story: my rare drinking (of any alcoholic persuasion) set me up for a mini-lecture upon returning from a business trip many years ago. On that summer trip, I decided to have a beer with the business lunch (a large group of fellow employees and customers). Mine was not the only adult beverage, but I was not familiar with my company's policy about claiming alcoholic beverages on an expense reoprt. :?

"We don't pay for beer!" was the bold rejection notice for my first submittal of the report. And I had expected a commendation for having bonded with the team and had an adult beverage for a change. :roll:

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Black Rice Caviar

Post by Amigoo »

Black Rice Caviar
(sweet or sour or spicy ... or sweet & sour ... or sweet & spicy ... ) :roll:

:lol: This whimsical introduction alludes to the function of black rice more than a recipe (one example below). The uniqueness of this rice and its hearty flavor, easily complemented within "herbs 'n such", permit it to be used as a culinary carrier - a scoup of this Caviar would be served as a mini-side-dish or topping on a main dish. Infuse the Caviar with intense flavors - even bold colors - to create obvious contrast with the main dish (even soup or casserole).

A sweet path: stir a 4oz bar of 100% cacao (broken into pieces), 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, and 3 tbsp sugar into just cooked, hot black rice.
Serve with what? Whatever! But I digress ... :arrow:

:roll My favorite combination features fresh cilantro and garlic: Dice 6 med. cloves of fresh garlic, then a large bunch of fresh cilantro (discard thicker stems). Stir these into a just cooked 15oz bag of black rice (try Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice), then add a generous portion of vinegar & oil salad dressing (try Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar) plus salt and pepper, as desired. The goal is a soft scoup, but not too much liquid. The greater the intensity of flavors, the better!

Serve with what? Whatever! My current habit: a large scoup of this Caviar over red lettuce pieces, surronded by cherry tomatoes, topped with cubes of feta cheese, and accompanied by hearty bread ... sometimes with extra virgin olive oil for bread dippin'. ;)

Amigoo
Family

Chunqui Apple Muffins

Post by Amigoo »

Chunqui Apple Muffins - http://allrecipes.com/personal-recipe/6 ... e-muffins/

:study: "A touch of quinoa flour (the “qui” in Chunqui), the chewy texture of oat bran, and the familiar ingredients of apple muffins share their unique flavors and textures in this new muffin recipe."

A complemental blend of quinoa and all-purpose flours in batter that easily adapts to apple cake. Whether muffins or cake, this dessert is an easy party favorite when dusted with powdered sugar, topped with whipped cream, drizzled with maple syrup, or brushed with melted butter. :roll:

Amigoo
Family

EZ Fiesta Rice

Post by Amigoo »

EZ Fiesta Rice

:cheers: A convenience recipe with good nutrition and comfort food appeal. Fresh herbs and vegetables might be substituted, but the goal was to select most ingredients from the cupboard (important for emergency planning). Fresh herbs (like cilantro), diced green onions, and shredded cheese might be served as condiments.

Spicier salsa is an option (maybe not for a brunch); briefly microwaved jalapeño peppers also complement these flavors: remove white flesh and seeds for less heat, rinse well, then chop or slice and microwave about 3-5 min. in a covered bowl; stir into rice with salsa or serve as a condiment.

:roll Ingredients:

1 cup organic brown rice*
2 cups water

1 tbsp dried cilantro
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/3 cup water
16oz jar mild chunky salsa**
25oz can red kidney beans, rinsed

* Try short grain brown rice.
** Try Pace Chunky Mild Salsa.

Directions: :arrow:

In a medium sauce pan, rinse brown rice, then drain and add 2 cups water.
Bring water to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan*, and simmer (without stirring)
until all water is absorbed (about 35 min.).

Stir rice briefly, sprinkle on herbs and spices, then stir to mix.

Pour on salsa, rinse jar with 1/3 cup water and add to rice.
Stir salsa into rice, then fold in red kidney beans.

If serving hot, cover pan and warm on low heat about 20 min.,
stirring occasionally. Otherwise, allow to cool, then spoon into
a container having a lid and refrigerate.

* a stainless steel heat diffuser with small holes is an ideal pan cover
for cooking brown rice (prevents boiling over at lower temperatures).

Amigoo
Family

Morning Millet

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Morning Millet - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189782

:idea: 2 2/3 cups water is better and just before all water is absorbed,
remove pan from heat, cover, and let rest 15 min. (to avoid scorching).

Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

I'm not sure which new and enticing recipe to try first. :D I am dying to try this black rice so I will look for some tomorrow when G and I do our shopping. I have a couple recipes to add myself but will have to wait till I have a tad more time. I am determined to start the taxes tonight. (or there's always tomorrow night eh? :mrgreen: )
Thanks for the goodies, Rod! :sunflower:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Black Rice Caviar

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Black Rice Caviar - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190004

:roll Black rice with au naturel convenience ...

In single serving bowls, place a scoup of plain, cooked black rice, then top with a raw, 3-vegetable medley: combine equal portions of onions, yellow squash, and asparagus (all chopped). 2 parts rice to 3 parts vegetables is good proportion. ;)

:idea: Wrap each bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until used. When ready to serve, remove plastic wrap, cover bowl with a microwaveable plate or bowl and microwave about 4 min. (for al dente texture). Drizzle on virign olive oil, then salt and pepper as desired. Top with shredded cheese (or a slice) for special occasions.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I was able to find the black rice yesterday at the store. It was hiding behind the red rice.) I never knew rice came in so many colours.)
Did I tell you we enjoyed the Pumpkin Bean soup? We used white butter beans for the required beans in the soup and all in all it was delicious! :bana: with Autumn and then Winter coming on up on your end of the planet, it is a perfect soup for those cool evenings ...and leftovers are even better the next day! :thumright:
We might try the Black Rice Caviar or may take a look at your review on Amazon again as well...seems something you suggested there sounded really good as well...But I can't remember now what it was. :roll
Thanks for the suggestions... :D
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I was able to find the black rice yesterday at the store. It was hiding behind the red rice.) I never knew rice came in so many colours.)
Did I tell you we enjoyed the Pumpkin Bean soup? We used white butter beans for the required beans in the soup and all in all it was delicious! :bana: with Autumn and then Winter coming on up on your end of the planet, it is a perfect soup for those cool evenings ...and leftovers are even better the next day! :thumright:
We might try the Black Rice Caviar or may take a look at your review on Amazon again as well...seems something you suggested there sounded really good as well...But I can't remember now what it was. :roll
Thanks for the suggestions... :D
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Prune Whip

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Prune Whip - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p189880

:idea: After two weeks, this Whip is still good in the refrigerator
... so, I started nibbling on it (excellent with pecans!) ...
then wanted a stronger chocolate taste:

Combine 1/4 cup 100% cacao powder with 3 tbsp very hot water,
stir, then stir into chilled Prune Whip. Add more if desired. :roll

Amigoo
Family

Fresh cilantro pesto

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Fresh cilantro pesto - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189799

:cheers: My favorite version:
Pack a food processor bowl (mine is quart size) with sorted and rinsed fresh cilantro (3 med. bunches, leaves and thin stems). Add 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic (sliced), then drizzle on 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Top with a 15oz can of rinsed cannellini beans and process mixture to desired consistency.

:roll I now freeze half of this mixture and refrigerate the other half for the week's enjoyment.
Shredded parmesan cheese is a good complement! ;)

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Red Bean Spooner

Post by Amigoo »

Red Bean Spooner

When an experimental Red Bean Loaf falls while baking, the easiest solution is to rename the recipe. And this loaf was satisfying enough that "fixin' the fall" was unimportant. Also, by topping the loaf with salsa before serving, the "Spooner" concept becomes very appealing! Consider this recipe a starter concept - adapt as you're inspired (or according to available ingredients).

2/3 cup water
1/2 cup light oat bran
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
3 tbsp virgin olive oil

15oz can red beans, rinsed and mashed
1 1/2 tbsp dried cilantro
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup diced celery tops
1 1/2 cups diced onion
1/2 cup spelt flour

16oz jar mild salsa
1 cup shredded cheese

Lightly oil an 8" x 8" casserole dish and set aside.

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup containing very hot, boiled water, stir in oat bran; cover and allow to rest 20 min.

In a medium mixing bowl, mash red beans (or red kidney beans), sprinkle on herbs and spices, then stir in diced celery and onions.

When oat bran is soaked, stir in dry yeast, then olive oil, and stir vigorously to combine.

Spoon oat bran mixture into red bean mixture and stir to mix; sprinkle on spelt flour and stir well to combine.

Spoon prepared mixture into oiled baking dish, creating a slightly rounded top.

Allow mixture to rise 45 min. in a warm place. 15 min. before baking, turn on oven to 350F degrees.

Bake uncovered 45 min., then top with salsa and, if desired, shredded cheese.
Return to oven 15 min. to allow salsa to warm and cheese to melt.

Serve hot, with a large serving spoon or spatula.

Amigoo
Family

Spooner Islands

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Red Bean Spooner - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190083

Embellish the concept with Spooner Islands in the Fiery Yellow Sea: :roll:

1/4 cup virgin olive oil
2 cups diced yellow onions
1/2 cup diced red bell peppers
2-3 15oz cans organic yellow corn
1/2 tsp salt
paprika
dried parsley

Lightly oil a large casserole dish (instead of 8" x 8") and create several irregular mounds of the Bean Spooner mixture several inches apart in the casserole dish. Then surround the mounds ("islands") with a prepared mixture of diced yellow onions and red bell peppers that have been sautéed in olive oil, then mixed with canned organic yellow corn and salt.

:idea: Sprinkle paprika ("tongues of fire") unevenly on the corn and add a few random sprinkles of dried parsley to resemble seaweed 8). Allow this Islands composition to rest 45 min. in a warm place, then bake 45 min. uncovered at 350F (or cover "Yellow Sea" areas with strips of foil to minimize drying of the corn; remove foil strips when the Islands are topped with salsa (or serve salsa and shredded cheese on the side and skip the final 15 min. warming).

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Rice

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Black Rice Caviar - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190004

:roll Here's a slightly sweeter path for black rice, but not a path intended to promote this nutritious rice as a dessert, but as a chocolate-flavored side dish. Besides, cocoa powder (100% cacao) is not a "sweet treat" naturally.

In a medium sauce pan, rinse a 15oz bag of black rice (try Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice), then add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until most of the water is absorbed (about 35 min.). Turn off heat, cover pan and let rest 10 min. for remaining water to be absorbed.

:study: Stir gently to distribute moisture evenly, then add 1/4 cup virgin coconut oil and stir well to combine. Sprinkle on 1/8 tsp salt and 1 tbsp sugar, stir to mix, then add a 4oz bar of 100% cacao (broken into small pieces, try Ghirardelli); fold into hot rice, completely covering chocolate pieces with rice. Cover pan and let rest 10 min. for all chocolate to melt.

Stir thoroughly to combine ingredients, then serve warm or allow to cool before refrigerating in a covered container. 100% cacao easily becomes the nutritional powerhouse that it is once the traditional candy influence is eliminated. ;)

Amigoo
Family

Holy Mole Rice

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Rice - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190090

Chocolate Rice is antioxidant "heaven on a plate", so shout "Holy Mole!" :roll:
(pronounced "mo-lay") when you add Mexican flavors (re: Mole Sauce):

:arrow: When the Chocolate Rice is prepared, stir in 1/4 cup brown sugar,
1 tbsp dried oregano, 3 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, and 3/4 tsp cinnamon.
Add more water to create thick chili consistency and stir occasionally over low heat
until these extra ingredients are well-blended; increase water as needed. ;)

Add a pinch of cayenne powder to keep guests alert! :shock:

Amigoo
Family

Green-Eyed Holy Mole

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Holy Mole Rice - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190093
After midnight, serve Green-Eyed Holy Mole: :roll:

In a dark bowl, place a serving of canned black beans (drained and rinsed),
then top with a generous scoup of Holy Mole Rice, and in the center of this,
a round scoup of Fresh Cilantro Pesto*: http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189799

Serve with Cilantro-Lime Salsa, shredded cheese, and adult beverage (all optional). ;)

:!: * or try intense flavor version:
Pack a food processor bowl (mine is quart size) with sorted and rinsed fresh cilantro (3 med. bunches, leaves and thin stems). Add 2 or 3 cloves of fresh garlic (sliced), then drizzle on 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice. Top with a 15oz can of rinsed cannellini beans and process mixture to desired consistency.

Amigoo
Family

White Bean Puffs

Post by Amigoo »

White Bean Puffs (makes 8 Puffs)

This experimental recipe, featuring the flavor and texture of cannellini beans (supported by a good measure of spelt flour), is named "puffs" rather than "rolls" or "biscuits" because the baker was hopeful that the rounds of dough would actually puff (rise) ... considering the limited, one-time kneading.

And like the Magic Dragon, they did indeed Puff (but not so high). Yet, one should not expect too much from an LT24 recipe ("Less Than 24"; conceived, developed, and producing an acceptable edible within 24 hours; LT24 also cautions that there's usually room for improvement or adaptation).

15oz can cannellini beans, rinsed
2/3 cup warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp virigin olive oil
3/4 cup bread flour
1 cup spelt flour
1 tbsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/2 tsp salt

Lightly oil a baking pan, dust with bread flour, then tap pan to discard extra flour and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl with a flat bottom, thoroughly mash cannellini beans, then stir in warm water, yeast, and sugar. Add olive oil, stir well to mix,
then sprinkle on bread flour, spelt flour, herbs, and spices; stir vigorously until combined, then knead with a large wooden spoon about 5 min.

Place a scoup of bread flour (for coating hands) in a small bowl or on the counter. Lightly coat hands with flour, place a scoup of dough into one hand and form into a round ball, placing this and the others evenly on the baking pan; coat hands with more flour each time.

Allow dough to rise in a warm place about 45. min. Turn on oven to 350F degrees 15 min. before baking.

When dough has risen, bake Puffs 35-40 min. or until light brown on top. Allow to cool briefly, then loosen from baking sheet with a slotted spatula.

Note: Crushed fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and other herbs easily complement the flavors in this dough.

Amigoo
Family

Blueberry Compote

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Blueberry Compote - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189778

:roll My favorite version:

Fill a 3-quart saucepan with frozen blueberries, rinse briefly, then heat on medium until simmering, stirring occasionally. When blueberries are simmering, add a pinch of salt, sprinkle on 2 tbsp sugar, stir well, then slowly sprinkle on 3 tsp Pomona's Universal Pectin, stirring carefully* until all pectin is dissolved. Allow to cool before refrigerating in a covered container.

* Use back of spoon to stir pectin into blueberries to avoid pectin buildup inside spoon, then push off any pectin accumulation with the edge of another spoon or a knife.

:idea: BB Brains (theory) - since blueberries (antioxidants, etc.) and walnuts (beneficial oil, etc.) both provide significant nutritional support for the brain, a daily serving of each might be a reasonable substitute for the average (and expensive) brain supplement pills. :roll:

Amigoo
Family

White Bean Puffs

Post by Amigoo »

Re: White Bean Puffs - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190111

:scratch: Who knew? These Puffs make tasty breadsticks!, even after refrigeration:
Slice the chilled Puffs into 1" sections, place apart on a baking pan
and warm in a pre-heated oven (350F) about 20 min.

"Beanery Puff 'n Sticks" is a tempting name. ;)
(and some varieties could be sweet ...
maybe half-dipped in chocolate) :roll:

Amigoo
Family

Really Red Sweet & Sour

Post by Amigoo »

Really Red Sweet & Sour :shock:

Re: Red Cabbage with Caraway - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p189994
When you discover that Red Cabbage with Caraway is an appealing cold dish,
dare to top its notch with flavor intensity ... and crunch!

:idea: To a quart of cooked and chilled Red Cabbage in a large mixing bowl ...
add a small red onion (quartered lengthwise, then sliced thin) that is soaking
in 1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar with 2 rounded tbsp of brown sugar and
1/8 tsp garlic granules. (soak until brown sugar is dissolved)

Sprinkle on 1/2 tbsp dried Summer Savory seasoning, then fold ingredients
to combine; spread on 1 1/2 cups cooked & chilled red beets* and fold.
* quartered and sliced; al dente texture adds complementary crunch.

Notes: The caraway seeds in Red Cabbage may be skipped if desired.
Sour cream or plain nonfat yogurt is a tasty condiment (and top this
with chopped green onions or chives for color contrast). :colors:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

All additions sound good, I want to try the Caraway and Red Cabbage recipe this week... just need some red cabbage... oh well and caraway seed too. But it sounds simple enough. George will have to go easy on it as cabbage has vitamin K which affects his Warfarin (Coumadin)
But raw recipes help his diabetes... (This is the way I feel sometimes trying to balance everything. :roll :lol: )
Thanks Rod, Image for the new additions. They have been recorded in the index. I still have many :idea: to add from the first 3 pages but will get to it when I can. :)
:sunny:
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

8) Entertaining icon! (the one with the white hat)

This may be helpful for the Vitamin K balance:
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2 ... nk/page-01

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Microwave Scrambled Eggs

Post by Amigoo »

Microwave Scrambled Eggs

Procedures can be found on the internet for microwaving scrambled eggs
... so I ignored them, :roll: now confident that such scrambling is possible.

With a little "scientific" planning, I found this procedure acceptable:
Lightly oil a 3-cup mircrowaveable bowl, and pour in the beaten eggs.
(I used 6 whole eggs and 4 whites, no milk; olive oil on the bowl) 8)

Place a heat-resistant saucer on the bowl (helps steam accumulate) and
microwave on high 30 sec.; stir briefly without scraping sides of bowl,
then cover bowl and microwave again 30 sec.; repeat.

:idea: Once the mixture begins steaming, wait 10 sec. before opening microwave
to stir again (eggs continue to cook). Eggs cook faster against side of bowl,
so stir cooked portion into center of bowl each time. Once half of the
mixture is cooked, reduce cook time by 10 sec. for remaining cycles.

:roll When the entire mixture is cooked, stir in desired spices (salt & pepper, etc.)
and herbs (try dried chives), cover bowl with plate to allow extra ingredients
to moisten 5 min., then stir before serving.

This testing was more methodical than necessary, so consider cooking eggs
with longer cook times, especially when first starting. ;) Once you gain
expertise, scrambling eggs in a pan will become "the good ol' days."