UB Cookin'

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I just finished throwing together your 'Sprouted Lentil Salad' and I must say it is delicious even now, "unchilled" and with the flavours as of yet "unmingled." :mrgreen: Thank you! I suspect it will become a staple in our home as it is just what the doctor or at the very least , the dietician ordered. :thumright:
Have a great week end!
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Gallons of Ice

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: This kitchen tip is derived from experience (nursing an old refrigerator), but also is easy preparation for a short-term (less than a day or two) power outage. Considering world news, a continuing bedtime habit of replacing the melting ice seems wise:

Certain commercial bottles of water are constructed of sturdy plastic and withstand constant freezing, making them ideal contained blocks of ice. Set aside several of these for freezing. Once one (two are better) is frozen, place it in the refrigerator at bedtime (a period where the refrigerator door will not be opened so often). Then, at every bedtime substitute those in the refrigerator with those in the freezer.

Of course a nuisance, but having extra hours to deal with a power outage can minimize discarding of spoiled items. These bottles should remain sealed and not be used for drinking water*, but might be lifesaving when no drinkable water is available. ;)

* Some plastic is inappropriate for consumable liquids that are repeatedly frozen since chemicals may leach from the plastic; short term drinking of such frozen-then-thawed liquids may not be so problematic. 8)

Tip: A freezer full of frozen stuff (including bottles of water) stays colder longer when no power is available; the same is true of the refrigerator. Also, limit opening the doors of the freezer and refrigerator during a power outage.

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family

Coconut Almond Crumble

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Coconut Almond Crumble - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p192113

:cheers: Excellent with hearty steel-cut oats:

Into a pan of 1 2/3 cups simmering water,
stir 1 rounded cup of rinsed steel-cut oats.
Simmer 5 min., add a pinch of salt, stir briefly,
turn off heat, cover pan, and let rest one hour.

To compensate for any unwanted moisture,
stir in 1/4 cup light oat bran and rest 30 min.
(next time, add just before first rest)

:roll: Feeling like a monkey after climbing a coconut tree?
Top with slices of banana; cinnamon is also nice.

Amigoo
Family

Orange CocoNutz

Post by Amigoo »

Orange CocoNutz

An easy recipe, requiring specific ingredient temperatures.
A coconut taste/texture experience more than a recipe!
So unusual that others will ask "Are you CocoNutz?!"
(Respond: "Yes! Orange you glad?!")

:roll Ingredients:

1 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed but very cold
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil, melted but not very warm

:arrow: Directions:

In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, combine OJ concentrate and coconut oil.
Stir quickly then, using the wire end of a whisk and mashing down,
grind the hardening coconut oil into tiny pieces.

When pieces are uniform, pour mixture into a container, attach the lid
and refrigerate until used. Excellent with chopped nuts (try walnuts, pecans,
or sliced almonds) ... or use as a topping on desserts or whatever. ;)

Suggested serving size: 2-3 tbsp
Nice with shredded coconut!

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

The sprouted lentils for the Sprouted Lentil Salad were spoiling too fast when I sprouted more than I would consume in a few days. Carefully drying the moist lentils helped, but was causing a serious drain on paper towels ( :oops: unintentional pun).

But garlic granules help preserve the lentils as well as complement the salad flavors! A teaspoon of granules sprinkled over 3 cups sprouted lentils, then lightly stirred, is producing good results! :roll The same has been true for the green peas and boiled egg bowls prepared ahead of time (eggs don't get slimy).

:cheers: You go garlic!" (borrowed from "You go girl!")

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for the sprouted lentil tip, Rod. :D
I will remember garlic granules... for eggs especially. Bleah! I can't stand slimy eggs!
I use a little glass sprouter most times, made so as to keep the jar tipped which drains the water out with little fuss after rinsing. When I was sprouting a variety of seeds and beans I made my own glass jar sprouter, poking holes with a nail through the lid of a large glass dill pickle jar. I then cut out a circular shape out of the end of a rectangular plastic Chinese food take out container on which to rest the lip of the jar just behind the lid. This allows the large jar to remain tipped so the sprout water drains out effectively. I rinse the sprouts several times a day leaving them then in this manner until adequately sprouted before placing them in a paper towel-lined container in the fridge. They seem to last for many days in this way. I sterilize the jars frequently just to be on the safe side.

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Thanks for the sprouting experience, Sandy.

I've had broccoli seeds for 10 years, waiting to be sprouted ... and the small-holes colendar method is only good for larger seeds and legumes. Occasional sterilization of the jars is another good tip!

:scratch: Speaking of bacteria (re: sterilization), I've wondered about sprouted seeds and legumes, especially in a warm kitchen: A final rinse seems important before refrigeration, but then there's more moisture - your "paper towels on bottom of container" sounds reliable. But I've also layered paper towels amongst sprouted lentils, removing them a day later - still too much moisture for longer storage (a week). Perhaps, my old refrigerator is not removing moisture effectively.

:idea: Latest experiment: Rinse sprouted lentils in 50/50 solution of distlled white vinegar and water, drain well, then stir in 1/4 tsp garlic granules per cup of sprouted lentils. So far, so good! (2 days later); the garlic flavor is complementary and subtle.

Amigoo
Family

Twice-Filtered Coffee

Post by Amigoo »

Twice-Filtered Coffee (not double-filtered coffee)

This adds another step to the drip coffee method of brewing, but seems to create a smoother brew; two same-size pots are required. Some coffee machines are not constructed to permit this second filtering, so try a filter in a strainer over a pan, bowl, or glass measuring cup.

Brew coffee as usual but add an extra scoup of ground coffee (optional). While the coffee is brewing, warm the second pot with hot water.

When the coffee is brewed, discard the filter and grounds, rinse the filter holder, and insert another filter (or try two). Place the second pot in the coffee machine and slowly pour the brewed coffee directly into the center of the filter. Caution: the sides of the filter may collapse into the holder if the coffee is not poured carefully.

For more freshness, allow-just brewed coffee to cool naturally, not over the warmer even when the machine is turned off; use the microwave to heat servings later. Refrigerate the cooled pot if all of the coffee will not be consumed immediately.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

You must have read my mind, Rod, as I was wondering if some sort of vinegar solution would be suitable for rinsing sprouts and even seeds before soaking. Dr Cousins suggests soaking all seeds in a food grade of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide solution for 20 minutes (For each cup of soaking water add 1 Tablespoon of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide) Of course afterwards you are to rinse until water is crystal clear around the seeds before filling with clean fresh water to continue soaking.

My trouble with the above method stems from childhood as I was a rough and tumble kid who wound up with many cuts requiring my mom to reach for the bottle of hydrogen peroxide more times then I care to remember. So it is truly hard for me to consider using it on these poor unsuspecting and innocent seeds. ;) kidding but I really did dislike that stuff as a kid.

Vinegar sounds like a good solution :D so I may give it a go.
Thanks for the tip!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

Three days later and the lentils (rinsed with 50/50 vinegar/water and sprinkled with garlic granules) are still fresh. Maybe it's my imagination, but they seem to have better flavor. Another option may be to rinse them every three days with the 50/50 solution without the garlic; drain well!

About the Twice-Filtered Coffee ...

Those old enough to remember (and prefer) coffee percolators - not drip machines - might be called The Perky Laters.

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: Regarding coffee percolators (not the newer drip machines) ...
Label for older coffee drinkers who remember the better appliances: "Perky Laters"

Entrepreneur alert :!:
"I'm a Perky Later" would make a great T-Shirt, badge, pendant, and bumper sticker!

New option for the "Not now - I have a headache" responders:
"I'm a Perky Later ... after a good nap (and a cuppa coffee)."

Rod ... :bike: ... (off for a good nap)
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
Those old enough to remember (and prefer) coffee percolators - not drip machines - might be called The Perky Laters.
That's me! I'm a "Perky Later" and proud of it! ;)
I remember my parents resisted the new fangled drip coffee makers for the longest time. It was only when their perky pot became damaged that they relented. And now they're resisting these "newish" one cup coffee machines, as I am too, but me, strictly for environmental reasons. (But if anybody could talk me into it, it would be George Clooney :mrgreen: ) They do make a rather tasty "cuppa" as they say over here.

I'm off for a cup of reheated "Twice-filtered Coffee." :hithere

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Crumbled Feta & Dill

Post by Amigoo »

Crumbled Feta & Dill

:cheers: An easy recipe with intense, complementary flavors! If you're fond of dill,
you'll find many uses for this crumbly, dilly cheese - even spooned over tomato soup! 8)

3 cups crumbled feta cheese
1 1/2 tbsp dill weed*
1 1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/4 cup virgin olive oil

* buy quality for best flavor. ;)

In a medium bowl, create three layers of crumbled feta cheese (try goat milk feta) using 1 cup feta per layer, each topped with 1/2 tbsp dill weed and 1/2 tsp garlic granules. Then, drizzle on 1/4 cup virgin olive oil and stir gently (layering helps minimize the stirring). Refrigerate in a covered container until used.

Amigoo
Family

Twice-Filtered Coffee

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Twice-Filtered Coffee - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192153

:cheers: Another option: Double-Bottom, Once-Filtered Coffee :?
Not quite as smooth as twice-filtered, but enough to limit twice-filtered to special days.

Cut circles of filters creating a diameter slightly less than the diameter of a flat-bottom ;) coffee filter. Folding a round filter into a fourth wedge of the circle creates four bottom filters. But I recall that similar flat discs (filters) are available for Perky Later baskets (these filters may work just as well as cutting circles).

:idea: Theory: A thicker filter on the bottom, forces more of the side of the filter to be used (without risking overflow when the total filter is too thick) ... and the extra bottom thickness helps absorb bitterness of ground coffee. A flat (folded wedge) filter can be used similarly: cut and insert a smaller portion of the wedge inside the main filter.

Analysis: These alternative methods either improve the smoothness of coffee
... or help you relive nursery school Paper & Scissors projects 8)
... maybe both!

Amigoo
Family

Twice-Filtered Coffee

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Twice-Filtered Coffee - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192182

:roll: LOL: Yet another option ... and Manufacturer's Alert :!:

Reduce the side of a flat-bottom filter to about 5/8" and insert one of these between every full-size filter. Of all options considered, this is the best compromise (IMO*) for better filtering of ground coffee.

* Difference is sufficient to convince shoppers to buy "luxury" filters. ;)
Factory-insertion avoids the nuisance of at-home assembly 8)
... and existing filter paper(rolls of paper) can be used!

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Teff Cereal

Post by Amigoo »

Chocolate Teff Cereal

A slightly granular, chocolate-flavored cereal, satisfying as a hearty breakfast dish
or snack any time of day; its conservative sweetness avoids the label of "pudding".
According to Vegan 101, you have to call this "pudding" if you add more sweetness,
but a sweet dollop of whipped cream will maintain the "cereal" claim. ;) ;)

1 cup whole grain teff
3 1/2 cups simmering water
1/4 cup 100% cocoa powder
2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil

In a medium pan, bring water to simmer, stir in teff
and simmer 25 min., stirring occasionally.

Remove pan from heat, cover and let rest 10 min.

Stir teff to mix in any water remaining on top, add cocoa,
stir well to combine, then stir in remaining ingredients.

Pour into serving bowls to be consumed immediately
or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate when cool.

Tip: Guests will appreciate an accompanying drink*
since the chewy granules like to linger on the buds.

* try Twice-Filtered Coffee - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192186

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Teff Cereal

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Teff Cereal - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192190

The following impromptu, outrageous exploration is a good litmus test of whether you're a conservative home cook or exploratory chef. Also, stand in front of a mirror (so you know who you're talkin' to) and ask "Are you CocoNutz?!" If you smile, you're Nutz ... period ... end of story!

:cheers: Teff 'n Molé (a mystical experience more than recipe)

Introduction: An hour after wrapping the individual servings of Chocolate Teff Cereal and allowing them to cool for refrigeration, the word/recipe "molé" wafted amongst what I call neurons. How teff and chocolate associate as molé in those neurons is a moot point - "Been there! - Done that!"

Here's the culinary journey (not exactly recipe - maybe "concoction"): :roll:

:arrow: In a medium pan, sauté a large yellow onion in 2 tbsp virgin olive oil. When al dente, spread on a drained can of organic yellow corn, sprinkle on 2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp chipotle chile powder, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper, and 1/2 tsp garlic granules. Add the bowls of cooked teff, sprinkle on 1/3 cup dried chives and 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar, stir briefly, then fold in a drained 15oz can of chopped tomatoes. For authenticity, serve with fresh sprigs of cilantro.

:idea: To maintain the outrageous mystique of this Aztec(?) concoction, write that the Chocolate Teff Cereal must first be wrapped individually, then be blessed (with whatever inspiration) by the Ceremonial Chef before being combined in the concoction. Serve in natural coconut shells whenever possible. ;) If anyone inquires (they won't if you're a well-known CocoNutz), explain that "in the old days" banana tree leaves were used to wrap the individual servings of teff. 8)

To kick up "outrageous" a notch of two, wear tropical garb (loin cloth, coconut shells, beads, feathers, etc.). Then dance a la "conga line", chanting "Teff 'n Molé (accent on last syllable), Teff 'n Molé, made it today!" (or whatever rhymes). For subdued parties, postpone the conga line until adult cocktails have been served ... in coconut shells when possible. :roll: :roll:

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

This latest recipe for Chocolate Teff Cereal is the best!
... and I've grown quite fond of refrigerated servings.
(excellent with chopped walnuts and a dollop!) :roll:

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Crikey Crouton Salad

Post by Amigoo »

Crikey Crouton Salad

While "spicy toast salad" sounds outrageous, this crouton mixture
is unusually enjoyable as a small "salad", perhaps served over
small pieces of red leaf lettuce. And with a generous portion of
fresh cilantro, guests will enjoy a new taste/texture experience
... but may blurt: "Crikey, Croutons! Is this a salad?" :roll:

1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1/2 tbsp crushed rosemary
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt

6 slices multigrain bread, toasted

1 cup coarse feta cheese crumbles
1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro sprigs
2 cups cherry tomatoes

In a medium pan, warm olive oil, then stir in
herbs and spices. Continue warming ingredients,
stirring occasionally, while toasting bread.

When bread is toasted, cut into small bite-size pieces.

After olive oil mixture has warmed 20 min., stir in
toasted bread pieces until well-coated with olive oil.

Remove pan from heat; fold in tomatoes and feta cheese.
Spoon over individual servings of lettuce pieces (or just
serve as a small crouton salad); salad dressing optional.

Amigoo
Family

Crikey Crouton Salad

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Crikey Crouton Salad - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192202
Who knew?! :scratch:

:idea: Top this salad with several boneless/skinless (packed in olive oil) sardines.
... Or skip the toasted bread and stir in 2 cups cooked brown rice; top with
remaining ingredients when served (place sardines on the port* side). :roll:

* close to glass for Crikey Port (not necessarily white wine);
whatever your guests prefer! that's why it's "Crikey!"
Serve outrageous for a change! :compress:

:scratch: Want to add stuff to the rice (veggies, herbs, etc.)?
Crikey! Have it your way :!: (and serve the rest)

Host: Would you like some Crikey Port?
Guest: Yes, a glass, please!
Host: What would you like?
Guest: Crikey Port!!
Host: The latest open bottle?
Guest: Crikey! What's that?!

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Crikey Crouton Salad - viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25032&start=400#p192202
and the outrageous Crikey Port wine concept ...

Crikey Port is "wine roulette", a new worldwide tradition! :roll:

This tradition requires serving the latest bottle opened. Restaurants have to set a fixed price for a glass of CP, but the restaurant can set daily prices, perhaps based on the bottle available when the restaurant opens. Sometimes the customer wins, sometimes the house wins (but the house always wins if the daily CP price is well-managed).

"Now serving Crikey Port! - Today's price per glass: $1.75" :roll

:idea: Speaking of "win-win" ...

While a waiter/waitress cannot reveal the contents of the open bottle, they can recommend (or not) the CP for accompaniment with the customer's food order. Think: Better tips for wise recommendations (or favorite customers)! :roll

Crikey! A "Good choice :!: " comment by the wait person can have more substance.

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Teff Cereal

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: A diabetes discovery journey ...

Re: Chocolate Teff Cereal - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p192198

:scratch: Who knew?! Teff is a super grain for good health! - even the dietary fiber
promotes that which needs to be promoted in sluggish pipes. :roll:

While 1/3 cup 100% cocoa is good for Teff Cereal with strong chocolate flavor,
1/4 cup is the better portion for more versatility of this cooked grain.

:study: For reference (this morning's Big Boy, one-serving recipe*):

1 cup water + 1 tbsp, 1/3 cup teff, 1 tbsp 100% cocoa, 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil, 1 tsp sugar,
pinch of salt, with a sprinkle of cinnamon, 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, 2 tbsp chopped dates.
(even a test can be "gourmet") :roll

* one serving only because the bag was nearly empty. :(

Amigoo
Family

Simple Black-eyed Peas

Post by Amigoo »

Simple Black-eyed Peas

Is this a recipe?! :scratch: Yes, for back-to-basics reminder that simple preparation often permits greatest flexibility ... as well as preserving nutrients. Besides, in the troubling days ahead (according to world trends), the simplest preparation with nutrient-dense foods will promote the greatest survival, both physically and pyschologically. ;)

1lb bag dried black-eyed peas, sorted & rinsed
Water to cover peas by 1" twice

- Soak peas overnight, covered by water, rinse well, add water to cover by 1".
- Simmer 30 min., then pour off water and rinse well.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate in covered container.
- Excellent on salads! try with Olive Oil & Vinegar Dressing

Amigoo
Family

Simple Black-eyed Peas

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.bioprepper.com/2016/06/01/in ... e-famines/

:cheers: Thanks to veganism (and books, magazines, internet) in modern times,
many of these old "survival" foods are now simply "good nutrition". 8)

:shock: OMG! The "Stirabout" recipe is so adaptable!
Add whatever herbs/spices and/or scraps of veggies/meat/poultry/fish;
go gourmet with sprouted sunflower seeds, lentils, mung beans. :roll

Obviously, hunger can result from poor imagination and knowledge.
Unlax! True hunger exists but much can be avoided ... apparently.

BTW: "Hunger" is not a lack of preferred/habitual foods ;)
... unless these are the only "acceptable" foods.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I must admit I have never heard of Teff. I am finding though that I am enjoying these introductions to new and healthy foods. You must have read my mind with the black eyed peas. They are always yummy and really do not take hours to cook as do some beans. Can't leave out the "Crikey Crouton Salad" either. :lol: Now that's my kind of salad. Lots of the good stuff. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your latest contributions... :hithere
xxSandy