UB Cookin'

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

Thanks so much, Rod. There's some great information in both URLs. We grow Jerusalem artichokes which sport beautiful flowers and delicious tubers, but... OH boy :shock: the after effects of eating them make it hardly worth it. Now I know why.... :)
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: A diabetes discovery journey ...

Re: http://foodfacts.mercola.com/jicama.html (pronounced "'hee cah mah")

"It provides one-quarter of what's needed daily in fiber per serving. But not just any fiber - jicama's fiber is infused with oligofructose inulin, which has zero calories and doesn't metabolize in the body. Inulin, a fructan, promotes bone health by enhancing absorption of calcium from other foods, protecting against osteoporosis. Inulin has a prebiotic role in the intestine – it promotes “good” bacteria growth that maintains both a healthy colon and balanced immunity. Because it has a very low glycemic index, jicama is a great food for diabetics, and low in calories for those interested in weight reduction."

Who knew :?: :!: Jicama has inulin ... and taste/texture a bit like a nearly ripe pear. 8)
Serving size: 1 cup cubed (slices are nice - try drizzled with lemon, lime, or apple juice)

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Who knew :?: :!: Jicama has inulin ... and taste/texture a bit like a nearly ripe pear. 8)
Serving size: 1 cup cubed (slices are nice - try drizzled with lemon, lime, or apple juice)

Who knew :?: :!: Jicama is a taste/texture complement to this blueberry mixture:

Briefly rinse one quart of frozen blueberries, then sprinkle on 1/4 cup chia seeds.
Thaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for several days, stirring occasionally.
By the third day, the seeds will have gelled. Then, stir in 2 cups jicama cubes,
pre-soaked in lemon, lime, or apple juice (optional).

:cheers: Life is tastier! ... in a test kitchen. :roll:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
Thanks for bringing Jicama to our attention. I have heard of it before but didn't know what it looked like. I must see if I can find a couple of these when we visit the large mall hopefully tomorrow. (There is a huge veggie store there that stocks more unusual items. )
Have a great week!
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

My own recent experience is that all grains, especially consumed as flour, cause more immediate and significant rise in blood sugar
This article seems to align with "my recent experience":
Re: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... efits.aspx

"Bran muffins, whole grains, and cereals are often touted as the best way to increase your fiber intake,
but according to a growing number of experts, including Dr. Loren Cordain, a professor at Colorado State University
and an expert on Paleolithic lifestyles, humans are NOT designed to eat grains ..."

:roll: However ...

Humans have been living average lifespans (and in good health) with frequent consumption of grains.
So, just consider this "no grains" perspective as encouragement to include other daily sources of fiber.

8) By the way ...
With less weight, good diet control, and more exercise :bana: I've been able to maintain good blood sugars
with only half (or less?) of my oral diabetes medication. I'm thankful for "bonding" with a push reel mower
and the more frequent rain in N. Texas (requiring more mowing); the neglect of tree/shrub/vine pruning
for 15 years also increased the intensity of this effective exercise. :roll

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Since extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO) is healthy*, bite-size pieces (with bites of fresh banana)
are easily consumed by refrigerating (not freezing) the oil in a plastic ice cube tray.
These coco-cubies are so convenient when refrigerated and there's no daily spoonin'. ;)

* according to many nutritionists, but limit total saturated fat from all sources.

Amigoo
Family

Paleo Black Beans

Post by Amigoo »

Paleo Black Beans

A colorful fiesta of black beans and complementary veggies,
super easy to prepare and very appealing as a cold dish. 8)
Nutritious, Modern Paleo with fast food convenience!

:roll Ingredients:

1 med. bunch fresh cilantro
2 15oz cans black beans, chilled & rinsed
1 15oz can non-GMO corn, chilled & rinsed
1 med. red bell pepper, diced
1 lg sweet onion, diced
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/3 cup Olive Oil & Vinegar dressing

:arrow: Directions:

Remove large stems from cilantro, then rinse and chop.

Layer ingredients (as listed) into a large bowl,
then toss gently; refrigerate in a covered container.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod,
This is just what George and I needed. Our stove and oven hasn't worked for nearly 2 weeks so I am looking for simple easy and healthy recipes to fill in the huge gaps. I love black beans so this will go down well. :D
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

The Paleo Black Beans and Very Berry Chia have become my favorites!
Soaking the jicama cubes in lemon juice for a day seems best. ;)

:roll Very Berry Chia

Briefly rinse one quart of frozen blueberries, then sprinkle on 1/4 cup chia seeds.
Thaw in a covered container in the refrigerator for several days, stirring occasionally.
By the third day, the seeds will have gelled. Then, stir in 2 cups jicama cubes,
pre-soaked in lemon, lime, or apple juice (optional).

:roll: Over Easy Egg Salad

Egg salad preparation that's easy and over quickly:

Lightly butter a round quart (approx.) baking dish, then crack into dish 4 large eggs.
Pour on top, 1 cup of liquid egg whites and place dish into a pan of water. Cover pan
and let eggs steam in simmering water about 20-25 min. Remove pan from heat
and let eggs cool sufficiently to cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.

After eggs are chilled, spoon into a mixing bowl, chop with a pastry cutter,
and prepare egg salad as desired (try Grapeseed Oil Vegenaise). ;)

Tips: These steamed eggs are great "as is" and seem to last longer (compared to
peeled boiled eggs), probably because of the steaming. Eggs are more appealing
if the yolks are not broken when they're cracked into the baking dish.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I looked Tuesday for the Jacama at the grocery stores in the area and then the huge veggie store in the mall, but so far, no luck. I won't give up and will keep searching. I wonder if it is possible to order it? Hmmmm it's a long shot but maybe. Our health food store has begun carrying local organic produce but I don't know if they can order Jacama. Won't hurt to ask.

What a great egg salad tip! I always dread peeling the boiled eggs. It can be a real ordeal!
We're hoping our stove and oven will be working at some point next week. Then I can try it out and other recipes you have posted.

Have a great week end! :sunny:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,
I always dread peeling the boiled eggs.
:duh My perspective also! ...
Steamed eggs finally resolved that decades-old problem. :roll

After trying various internet tips about cooking hard-boiled eggs,
I finally decided that eggshells are part of the problem (or success).
The chemistry of the shell (calcium, etc.) seems to determine
whether or not a peeling method is successful. :?

With EZ Steamin' who cares if the cooked egg is not oval? ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I really appreciate this stress saving recipe. :D
Just as soon as I get my stove working again that's the way I am going to start preparing "boiled"eggs. A repairman is supposed to be coming here sometime today. Fingers crossed he finds the problem.

Thanks again!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:idea: Still preferring eggs for breakfast (other than egg salad which is great for any meal), I'm now fond of Canary Beans (aka "Mayocoba" or "Peruano") accompanied by a steamed egg with uncooked cherry tomatoes and cheese (whatever U like). The Canary beans' high fiber and protein plus cooked egg make this combo a high-energy breakfast (sans grains) ;)

:arrow: Sort, rinse, and soak Canary beans overnight, well-covered with water. In the morning, pour off the water and rinse once more. I dared to try a first test with a pressure cooker: Add 1 lb. rinsed beans, 2 1/2 cups water, 1 tbsp olive oil, and cook 20 min., then immediately (but slowly) release pressure.

When the lid is removed, place a large diced onion on top and quickly fold into the beans (scoup around the sides of the pan with a large spoon and lift from the bottom of the pan, just until the onion is covered. Cover the pan with its lid and let onion soften 15 min. (or just microwave onion to desired texture and stir into the hot beans). ;)

Add more olive oil and spices as desired, then serve hot (or refrigerate in a covered container when cool).

:bana: "Who can tell?" My day starts with a mug (1 1/2 cups) organic green tea (usually hot but cold is also appealing), then 1 tbsp virgin coconut oil (chilled like a mini popsicle to be chewable :roll: ) and bites of fresh banana. After several weeks, softer healthier skin with no affect on cholesterol is immediately noticeable benefit (IMO).

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Seems like I remember Petra or was it Lilly (?) was using coconut oil as a hair conditioner... Whoever it was said that in a months time her hair was shiny and healthy.
It sounds like there is nothing coconut oil cannot do to benefit your body! :D

The Canary bean breakfast sound appealing to me. I love beans of every sort and the onion and tomatoes added to them reminds me of home. :sunflower: I'll look for canary beans but I don't think I've seen them here. Of course I could have just as easily overlooked them.

Thanks for the breakfast idea, Rod. Breakfast can be a little boring around here. :thumright:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

I found coconut oil to be very healing of my dry hands in winter. But this problem went away when I began consuming more beneficial oils (including coconut oil). But I had to learn that even good oils have good calories. :roll:

Another breakfast idea (sunflower butter with lotsa sesame seeds on a raisin English muffin) had to be discontinued. I was spoonin' directly out of the sunflower butter jar a bit too often ... any time of day :!:

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:o Even after soaking the Canary beans overnight, and adding olive oil to the water, they still foamed more than expected in the pressure cooker. Next time I'll use a pan and cook them a bit longer (these beans know fiber!) ... then add more onion and, perhaps, chopped celery and carrots.

These beans (with such fiber) are best served with more liquid (like a stew or soup). :roll

However, :roll: most canned beans are easier to use, have good nutrition, and reasonable prices (unless purchased from some health food stores). ;) Cannellini beans seem to be a good canned substitute for Canary beans.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
Cannellini beans seem to be a good canned substitute for Canary beans.
Oh that's good, we can easily find Cannellini beans here. I really like them and am remembering a Cannellini bean recipe from one of my vegetarian cook books that you might enjoy. I'll see if I can track it down.
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:roll Ditto your "Oh that's good!"

After lauding canned cannellini beans :roll: , I purchased a bag of dry beans
... and will soak/cook these for the recipe that you'll post. My plan is to
cook the beans less (than canned) so they'll be more firm. :finger:

Sandy
Staff

Creamy Cannellini Beans with Asparagus

Post by Sandy »

Oh dear I forgot... Here's the recipe Rod. I hope your beans are softened and ready.

Now this is a quick and easy meal....here goes....

Creamy Cannellini Beans with Asparagus
serves 2

10 ml/2 tsp. butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
5 ml/1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
400 g/14 oz can cannellini beans, drained
150 ml/2/3 cp single cream
115 g/4 0z young asparagus spears, trimmed
2 slices fresh Granary bread
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry over a moderate heat for 4 minutes until soft. Add thyme leaves.

Rinse the Cannellini beans under cold running water. Drain throughly, then add to the onion and carrot. Mix lightly.

Pour in the cream and heat slowly to just below the boiling point, stirring occasionally.Remove the pan from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. preheat the grill.

Place the asparagus spears in a saucepan. Pour enough boiling water to cover. Poach for 3-4 minutes until the spears are tender.

Meanwhile toast the bread under the grill until both sides are golden. ( i use my toaster. :mrgreen: :roll: )

Place the toast on individual plates. Drain the asparagus and divide the spears between the slices of toast. Spoon the bean mixture over each portion and serve.

Okay there you have it. I myself, since I am using a toaster for my bread, I begin the boiling water for the asparagus when I begin cooking the carrots and onions. This recipe is adaptable too if you wish to fatten it up more with cheese sprinkled over the top etc... :mrgreen: ( but truly isn't necessary.
Hope you enjoy it!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:cheers: Tasty recipe! (I'm sure).
I'll use canned beans for first test convenience ...
and make a double batch when I buy the asparagus ...
then be dippin' into this for days (even cold). :roll

Habitual economizing has me using dried herbs,
but this recipe shouts for fresh! :o

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I had to smile at your response as I always double this recipe so that we have leftovers and then find myself sneaking into the fridge and eating it cold. :mrgreen:
Have a yummy week end!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Tasty bean soup, Sandy!

I kept forgetting the fresh thyme (used dried) :roll:
and substituted half & half for the cream.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I'm happy you enjoyed that easy recipe. :D I think i's the carrots in the "beanie" soupy mixture that makes this a surprisingly good combination. Have you ever eaten Bubble and Squeak? It was another recipe I found in this vegetarian cookbook bought for a mere pittance at the Salvation Army store. :) ) ..and it is another rather simple combination I would never had dreamed would taste so good. Of course, with George's diabetes, we cannot have white potatoes all that often. :roll:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:cheers: Entertaining recipe!, that "Bubble and Squeak":
https://www.thespruce.com/traditional-b ... ipe-435202

I usually try to avoid twice-cooked food because of the lesser nutrition,
but this recipe is "comfort food" ... and who can resist the fresh egg? :roll

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Paleo Pumpkin Muffins

Post by Amigoo »

Paleo Pumpkin Muffins

Re: http://www.healthextremist.com/paleo-pu ... nut-flour/

:roll An excellent starter recipe for using coconut flour,
a flour good for diabetics with its low carbs and high fiber.
Try with extras like shredded carrot, raisins, walnuts. ;)