UB Cookin'

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

Well, I thought I was all set... remembered the honey yesterday but came home without fresh almonds and pumpkin seeds. I might just make the original with what's left of the old almonds. We have some garden work to do today so we will need some sustainable energy.
It sounds good though... Hopefully I'll be able to try your latest culinary concoction soon, Rod. :finger:

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Cornmeal Spoon Bread

Post by Amigoo »

Cornmeal Spoon Bread

Re: http://leitesculinaria.com/73299/recipe ... bread.html :roll

"Spoon bread is so-called because it’s supposed to be so soft that you can’t cut it with a knife as you do corn bread"

After twice attemtping to bake impromptu, yellow cornmeal flatbread, the challenging cleanup* of the cookie sheets caused me to redirect to cornmeal spoon bread. What's in spoon bread?, I wondered, then found this great recipe online.

;) Texas culinary influence tells me that chopped onion and jalapeño slices might be welcome in this recipe (when the batter is ready, stir in 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion and 1/3 cup thin jalapeño slices; maybe substitute yellow cornmeal for white and top with shredded cheddar cheese).

* imagine stirring a bit of white glue into the batter before baking - that's how difficult cleanup has been!

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family

Mashed Cornmeal

Post by Amigoo »

Mashed Cornmeal

An easy, comfort food recipe, best described as a complement to mashed potatoes (with chopped veggies).
Limited spices, mild flavors, and appealing textures permit accompaniment to many dishes.

:roll Ingredients:

1 2/3 cups water
1 cup organic yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

1 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1/2 cup diced jalapeño peppers (optional)
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow squash

1 cup shredded yellow cheese (optional)

:arrow: Directions:

In a large sauce pan over medium heat, coat bottom of pan with 1 tbsp olive oil then layer chopped onion, jalapeño peppers, and yellow squash. Cover and sauté 5 min. Stir to combine, add 1 tbsp water, cover and sauté until al dente texture, stirring occasionally.

In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a soft boil, reduce heat and stir in cornmeal; simmer 5 min., stirring occasionally. Stir in olive oil, salt, and sugar, then spoon into sautéd vegetables. Stir vigorously to combine, then serve warm.

Note: Shredded cheese may be stirred into final mixture or spread on top before serving.
Top this with jalapeño slices if desired.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I love corn bread in most any form. YUM! How do these two corn bread recipes stack up the day after they're made, Rod? That has always been the downfall of cornbread in my opinion. It's never quite as good warmed up the following day.
My Father gets around this, though, by crumbling day old cornbread in a glass and then filling it with milk (Mom uses buttermilk... bleah!) With a little (or a lot of sugar :D ) it becomes a late night snack or dessert. Personally it isn't my "thing". :roll:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Jalapeño Cornbread - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p189986

Sandy,

This is my favorite cornbread, but it might be good (and traditional)
without the onions and jalapeños; reduce milk to about 3/4 cup.

;) Refrigerating cornbread, then wrapping a slice in a paper towel
and heating in the microwave about 15 sec. is next best for
out of the oven appeal!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That is definitely a must try cornbread recipe! Thanks for reminding me Rod. I love jalapenos... must try to find some plants this year for my garden. And onions in cornbread is out of this world! My parents used to make cornbread pancakes with peppers and onions when we were kids. I could have eaten a dozen of them and would have given the opportunity. :mrgreen:

I really appreciate that cornbread warming tip too. (I must say, I am craving corn bread for supper now. :mrgreen: ) Hopefully that will help with the leftovers and I won't have to resort to Dad's solution. ;)
have a great week end!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Cornmeal Soufflat

Post by Amigoo »

Cornmeal Soufflat

If this recipe wanted to be a soufflé, it progressed only as far as "not cornbread" (at least, not traditional cornbread). Yet, neither is it Spoonin' Bread since Forkin' Bread is the best way to enjoy it. The generous moistness, complementary flavors, and appealing texture of this flat "soufflé" after the first test is why the recipe stayed between the two traditional types of baked cornmeal. ;)

:roll Ingredients:

2 cups water
1 cup organic yellow cornmeal

2 xlg eggs
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup half & half
2 tbsp light olive oil

3/4 cup bread flour
1/4 tsp garlic granules
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar

1 cup diced yellow onions
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/3 cup sliced jalapeño peppers

:arrow: Directions: (cook cornmeal last)

Lightly oil a 2 1/2 quart baking dish; preheat oven to 400F degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine bread flour, garlic granules, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.

In another medium bowl (or 2-cup glass measuring cup) whisk eggs, then add water and half & half and whisk to combine; add olive oil and whisk to complete.

Dice yellow onions and divide shredded cheese into two 1/2 cup portions.

Bring water to a soft boil, turn off heat, vigorously stir in cornmeal, then remove from heat; cover pan and let rest 5 min.

Remove cover and allow cornmeal to cool to very warm temperature (prevents eggs from cooking in cornmeal).

Add egg mixture to cornmeal, stir to distribute liquid, then whisk vigorously to combine. Stir in diced onions and 1/2 cup shredded cheese, then flour mixture; spoon batter evenly into baking dish.

Sprinkle remaining shredded cheese on top of batter and top this with slices of jalapeño peppers.

Reduce oven to 375F degrees and bake 45 min. (or until top is golden brown).

Sandy
Staff

Raw Licorice Treats

Post by Sandy »

I discovered this one next door to the lemon truffles in my previous post. It sounded unusual and "healthy tasty" if you are a licorice fan (which my George is) This recipe has a fair bit of natural sugar in the raisons, figs and dates, so moderation is essential if you are keeping an eagle eye on your blood sugar. Still at least this is good for you especially if you purchase organic ingredients.
xxSandy

http://www.myhdiet.com/Fall-In-Love-Wit ... -treats-2/

Raw Licorice Treats

1 cup organic raisins
1 cup dates (pitted, soaked one hour and drained)
1 Tbsp ground anise seeds (increase amount for stronger licorice flavor)
1 cup pecans (ground)
1 cup dried figs (quartered)

Instructions
1. Place all ingredients except pecans into food processor with “S” blade and process until a paste is formed.
2. Roll “dough” into balls and then roll balls in ground pecan pieces.
3. Cover and refrigerate until served.
4. Note: Can also be rolled in your favorite (ground) nut or in unsweetened coconut. Can also be frozen for longer storage.
Sandy
Staff

Banana Carob Oatmeal Snack

Post by Sandy »

This is another dessert/snack that would also make a pretty healthy breakfast as well. It is very good for you and leaves plenty of room to add your favourite additions. The photos show this mixture compressed and cut into blocks and then drizzled with some type of chocolate sauce. Some type of caramel sauce might be yummy too... or honey for a healthy topping.

:idea: I am thinking fresh juice might be an option in place of the distilled water if the mixture is too dry to process. The addition of some spices might also give it a bit of zing. :D

http://www.myhdiet.com/Fall-In-Love-Wit ... l-snack-2/

Banana Carob Oatmeal Snack

Ingredients
2 bananas
1/4 to 1/2 cup raw oatmeal
1 tsp carob powder

Instructions
1. Process all ingredients in food processor or blender until well combined.
2. If it's too dry to process, add a little distilled water.
Sandy
Staff

Maple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

Post by Sandy »

I was looking for a fresh and relatively low fat salad dressing for George and this one sounds just the ticket. It is a must try this week so I'm making a note of the ingredients needed at the store tomorrow. I'll let you know what we think of it. :bana:

It can be found at this wonderful site for healthy recipes...
http://www.myhdiet.com/Fall-In-Love-Wit ... -dressing/

Maple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing

Ingredients
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
¼ tsp ginger (minced)
¼ tsp Celtic or Himalayan salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper

Instructions
1. Pour all ingredients into a bowl and whisk to blend OR place in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake well.
2. Pour over salad and gently mix to cover all leaves
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:roll I'll add the Maple Vinaigrette Salad Dressing to my list of new recipes
to try and reduce the maple syrup to 2 tbsp for the first test.

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hey Rod,
I made that dressing recipe and it wasn't bad...a little sweet as you figured. I might limit the maple syrup if and when I make it again... maybe the vinegar too as I am not too fond of apple cider vinegar. How do you think white or distilled vinegar would taste in this recipe? I know apple cider vinegar is supposed to be good for you, though.
xxSandy
Sandy
Staff

Mom's Cornbread Stuffing

Post by Sandy »

With the Thanksgiving holidays coming up, I thought I'd share my mom's stuffing recipe. This is an old one as I can't remember a Thanksgiving dinner without it and I am no "spring chicken." ;)
Most of us do not look fondly on "giblets" (turkey organs" these days so I have discovered, for the meat eaters, that the meat from spare turkey parts purchased from the grocery store work just as well and in fact much better. :mrgreen: (Just don't tell my mother. ;) )

Corn Bread Stuffing from Virginia Miller

2 cups cornmeal mix
1to 2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1 and 1/4 to 1 and 1/2 cups of milk

Blend all ingredients and pour into 8 inch heavy skillet. Bake at 425 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. (Hint: it is important to only mix until all the ingredients are wet and blended. This makes for a better textured finished product.) Let cool in the skillet or pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before flipping it out upside down onto the rack to cool.

Stuffing:

1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/4 butter
4 cups crumbled cornbread 4 cups dry bread, cubed
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 egg
1 cup stock (or more)
meat from giblets, chopped

Place cubed bread and crumbled cornbread into a large bowl. Cook onions and celery in butter until golden brown Stir into the bread and cornbread. Add seasoning. Mix egg with stock. ( I like to add enough to make mixture pretty moist.)
Bake in an oblong pan at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes. This is good with turkey gravy over the top.

Note for vegetarians: ... Not being a vegan, I can make this recipe easily by eliminating the meat and adding extra veggies such as chopped carrots, raisons currants or dried cranberries to the cooked vegetables... (I might try some chopped Kale this year as well)
Instead of the turkey stock use vegetable stock and veggie gravy.

This recipe might be tricky for vegans to adjust but I suspect it could be done.
Sandy
Staff

Perfect Corn Bread

Post by Sandy »

When I moved to Australia I found it difficult to fin corn bread mix (flour and corn meal mixed together in proportions for making cornbread.) In fact, I had trouble finding corn meal at all until I discovered it was called Polenta)

I asked a good friend, who is also one of the best cooks I know, if she had a good recipe for making corn bread and this is what she gave me. And so, I have discovered that as the recipe is named, it does make perfect cornbread every time. :D

Perfect Corn bread
from Denise Miller

1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/4 shortening ( I used oil as shortening is hard to find over here)

Preheat over to 425 degrees Fahrenheit ( 220 degrees Celsius)

Sift flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt, stir in cornmeal. Add eggs, milk and shortening. Beat with rotary or electric mixer until just smooth. (Do not overbeat) Pour into a greased 9x9x2 inch pan. Bake at 425 degrees F or 220 degrees C for 20 to 25 minutes. Makes 18 servings.
Muffins bake 15 to 20 minutes.
Note from Denise: I like to do the muffins with paper liners and spray Pam. They seem to cook better and are easier to eat.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Perfect Corn Bread - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 49#p190649

:cheers: A very traditional (and popular) cornbread! Since I was just polled on contributions to a family Thanksgving buffet (U.S., Nov. 26), this recipe's muffins (maybe with some dried cranberries) will be one of my offerings.

Surprise! (to me) "Pre-diabetic" has suddenly advanced to "Told you so!" - This week's immediate cutback to limited calories and healthy food only will be good training for the Thanksgiving challenge. All sweet treats have been discarded for temptation avoidance. :finger:

Gobble, gobble! (been there all year) :roll:

Rod :|
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Microwave Scrambled Eggs - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190122

:roll Excellent microwave cooker for scrambled or poached eggs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YYYL2XW

:idea: For poached eggs (I tested 2 eggs):
Fill Egg-Tastic with 1/4 cup water and heat to "hot" temperature.
Carefully drop white of 1 jumbo egg into water, then one whole egg.
Cover and microwave on "High" 1 min; repeat in 15 sec. cycles, checking each time.
Easy cleanup! :bana:
My cook time: 1 min. 20 sec.; microwave used: 1000W of power.
Reduce cook time (or power) for larger microwaves.

Amigoo
Family

Cornmeal Soufflat

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Cornmeal Soufflat - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190621

:idea: This is my favorite version: Skip the jalapeño peppers
and stir into the batter: 1 1/2 cups chopped spinach and
3 med. cloves garlic (sliced thin).

Amigoo
Family

Microwave Scrambled Eggs

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Microwave Scrambled Eggs - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p190122

:geek: Technical observation about the Egg-Tastic cooker:

This ceramic container concentrates heat closer to the eggs than does the 2-cup glass measuring cup that I've been using (with a saucer for lid). The cooking time is less and the Egg-Tastic is much easier to clean (when poaching eggs) than the measuring cup!

Caution: Refer to the cooking chart for cooking time and microwave power. ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
You wrote:
Surprise! (to me) "Pre-diabetic" has suddenly advanced to "Told you so!" - This week's immediate cutback to limited calories and healthy food only will be good training for the Thanksgiving challenge. All sweet treats have been discarded for temptation avoidance. :finger:
I'm hear you brother! This week I have done something very similar as my sweet tooth was terribly out of control. after a few days without the contraband though I don't feel the temptations so badly. Thankfully my excuse is merely cosmetic at this stage....I need to get into my shorts for the summer. :roll: sigh (It will be a long hot summer otherwise!)
Have you ever read the book, "There is a cure for Diabetes" by Gabriel Cousins, MD? It was a bit of an eye opener for me...I've been trying to add as much fresh raw veggies/fruits, seeds sprouts and so on as I can to G's diet. Those enzymes, saved from an early death in the cooking pot or oven, go a long way to helping us stay healthy. George, of course, is unimpressed with the menu... but I squeak it in when I can and he is looking the other way. ;) :mrgreen:

If you like cheese cakes they are easily "DE sugared." I found a lot of good stuff, recipes in every category, that were low carb, as well as helpful for controlling diabetes... and most pretty darn good in this book, "500 More Low Carb Recipes" by Dana Carpenter. I adjust most of the recipes to stevia instead of splenda if that is what is called for. A Lebanese friend of ours, working in the medical profession there recommended these book years ago...and we found it very helpful.... "The 30-day Low Carb Solution" by Michael R. Eades, MD and his wife, Mary Dan Eades, MD... There's some good recipes in their cookbook too... "The Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook."

I've never had any luck at all in making low carb bread. It never rises much and comes out spongey...in a weird and "turn off" kind of way.. We ate it anyway. LOL
xxSandy

I've yet to plan my Thanksgiving menu but it will definitely be lighter with much less sugar this year. :finger: :)
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

I'm using my body as a living laboratory this week as I move from a sudden, 3-day, "healthy starvation diet" to slowly including low-carbohydrate foods in small quantiities, with emphasis on adequate hydration, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Ouch! I'm averaging 5 blood sugar tests per day while recording much detail about foods, scores, and times of day. Like a diary, this candid collection of life-threatening scores (long-term perspective) may have to be locked in a safe. :oops:

;) This is helpful for food research: http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

Lessons learned so far: :idea:
1. 4-5 very small meals per day is better than 3 (distributes carbohydrates and reduces rapid blood sugar rise).
2. Not a good opportunity to lose weight rapidly since a diabetes-stressed body needs good nourishment.
3. A sedentary lifestyle when overweight is conducive to rapid progression of diabetes.
4. Carbohydrates, especially from processed grains, cause a quick rise in blood sugar.
5. When blood sugar is high, any sugar (candy, etc.) is a No! No!

:roll: If my slowly improving (but still too high) scores are any indication,
I should be able to have one bite of every item on next week's Thanksgiving buffet. :|

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow- ... metabolism

Increasing metabolism may be helpful in reducing blood sugar
that falls ever so slowly. This article contains many tips! :roll

:lol: "How to Build a Better Butt" is the next video!
(isn't "butt" a common reason for boosting metabolism?)

:idea: I suspect that faster weight loss by excessive restriction of calories
(plus exercise) may be possible if food nutrition is exemplary ...
but what diet is diabetically exemplary?

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Green Tea Tonic

Post by Amigoo »

Green Tea Tonic (an experiment) :roll:

:idea: Since many drink recipes for Green Tea & Garlic exist,
I'm testing a variation (mostly for blood sugar control;
apple cider vinegar is claimed to help):

:arrow: Crush 1 small garlic clove in a saucer (I used a fork).
- Heat 1 1/2 cups water in a large mug just until simmering.
- Add crushed garlic, rinsing saucer with the hot water.
- Add 1 bag of green tea (try Bigelow Pure Green).
- Steep 3 min., then strain to remove garlic pieces.
- Stir in 2 tsp raw apple cider vinegar.
Bon Appétit! :D

The flavors of this "tonic" hint that another ingredient or two
could make this a very satisfying, healthy drink recipe.
(try 1 tbsp fresh celery juice and a cut stalk with leaves for nibblin'
plus a few carrot sticks for color contrast (and more nibblin'). :roll
;) This might be better served cold.

Caution: Sip - don't gulp! (re: garlic and vinegar)

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.drmercola.biz/brain-health/c ... our-brain/

"Glucose is one of your brain’s main fuels for energy. One of the things discovered in the fairly new research on the brain’s glucose uptake is that the brain produces its own insulin to convert glucose in your bloodstream."

:idea: Analysis: 1-2 tbsp of virgin coconut oil per day (try with 4 slices of banana sprinkled with cinnamon)
may be supportive of better brain function for diabetics and alzheimer's patients.

8) Related information:
http://coconutresearchcenter.org/article10612.htm
http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/suplmts/acacia.asp

"In the large intestine, Acacia Senegal fiber stimulates the development of bifidobacteria and lactic acid bacteria, leading to the production of large amounts of short chain fatty acids which play numerous beneficial roles in the physiology of the human body."

:idea: Analysis: Acacia fiber provides beneficial soluble fiber and causes carbohydrates to distribute over a longer period, requiring less immediate insulin response (i.e., more insulin sooner, probably increasing insulin resistance).

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I'm appreciating all this great information, Rod. I gotta admit I cannot handle apple cider vinegar, but maybe G can. After all, it's his bloodsugar I am most concerned about. ;) Your coconut oil banana concoction sounds the ticket to get this very beneficial brain food down our gullets. and a few banana slices hopefully will not upset the low carb diet applecart. George had really good success about 4 or 5 years ago on his low carb diet. He felt wonderful too. Of course, it must be done properly with enough protein and fuel. If your fat supply runs out the energy may be taken from your muscle tissues, eh? ... And then too, it is very important to come off a low carb diet slowly and in phases, slowly introducing a little more carbs over weeks and trying not to fall back into the same old processed grain trap that got you into trouble in the first place.
I am no expert, though, so a good idea for anybody wishing to diet in such a manner to research and even talk to their doctor who very well may nix the idea... :lol:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:idea: The Green Tea Tonic inspired me to buy fresh carrots and celery for garnish ... but they were then used for vegetarian lentil soup ... to which was added fresh garlic and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. :roll:

So ... the Tonic recipe is now filed - I'm back to green tea with candied ginger. :roll
Caution: use small slices to prevent accidental choking while drinking the tea.

:sunny: One-half cup of cooked steel cut oats (add 1 rounded cup of rinsed oats to 3 cups simmering water, then simmer 10-15 min., stirring occasionally), served with 2 large egg whites (boiled) with 1 tsp virgin olive oil plus S&P is my current breakfast. My blood sugars are more stable and the oats plus egg protein produce good energy for the day.

A morning tablespoon of acacia fiber in the green tea (1 1/2 cups water) plus a probiotic capsule is enjoyed an hour or two before the breakfast. My blood sugars are still too high but are slowly falling (probably due to weight loss caused by fewer calories). :roll

Conjecture: Our pancreas is DNA-designed for certain body weight. The islet cells can increase insulin production (especially for more carbohydrates in a meal), but may be stressed in the process if body weight is an issue. As weight is reduced, the pancreas performs better, especially since less insulin is required (less weight - fewer cells needing insulin and needing less amount of insulin).

Need a snack while limiting carbohydrates? Try peeled & sliced apple with sprinkled cinnamon!
(or forget the peeling and just bite the white from each slice) ;)