Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,
or additions belong in another category
:lol: Yes, another category is what came to mind today:

"Free Spirit" (atypical combinations of ingredients with flexible quantities)
The new Sweet Potato Tumble recipe might qualify.

Since recipes might qualify for several categories,
just go with your "free spirit" recipe organization.
(the Index is also an easy Edit/Find search). 8)

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family

EZ Turmeric Sauce

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Sweet Potato Tumble - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p190415
Re: Gourmet Turmeric Sauce - http://www.breadexperience.com/gourmet-turmeric-sauce/

:scratch: In a sudden "What goes with what?" culinary mood, I was curious how common meats (hot dogs, hamburgers, etc.) might taste with the Sweet Potato Tumble. As soon as I tasted a batch of this EZ Turmeric sauce (an adaptation of the Gourmet Turmeric Sauce) and the Tumble flavors, I knew that even tenderized shoe leather was an option: :roll:

EZ Turmeric Sauce

In a chilled bowl, combine a chilled 16oz jar of preferred mayonnaise (any brand without strong flavors), with 1 tsp garlic granules, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 3 tbsp dried parsley, 1/4 cup dried chives, and 2 tbsp stoneground mustard with horseradish. Return mixture to mayonnaise jar and refrigerate overnight; stir before first serving.

Amigoo
Family

Mini-Mounds of Ruis

Post by Amigoo »

Mini-Mounds of Ruis - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189820

:roll Better quantities of Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1/2 rounded cup light oat bran
2 tbsp dark brown sugar
2 cups dark rye flour
3/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 tbsp caraway seeds (optional)
Bread flour for cookie sheet

:arrow: Corrected paragraph in Directions:

Stir in caraway seeds, then rye flour and salt.
Add olive oil and stir vigorously to combine.

Amigoo
Family

Microwaved Corn Cobs

Post by Amigoo »

Microwaved Corn Cobs (but just eat the corn) :roll:
(restated from various internet postings)

:idea: Don't shuck the ears - just rinse them and cut off the loose tassels. Then wrap 1 or 2 ears in a few paper towels and microwave on high 2-4 min., turning over once. Ears will be very hot, maybe sizzling a little (use lower power until you learn how fast they cook).

Using gloves (or pot holders), remove cooked ears from microwave and place on a cutting board. Unwarp ears, cut off "handle" end (including an inch of the base), then squeeze cob from tassel end; the cooked cob will slide out of the shucks. ;)

Remove any remaining silk (tassels) and serve hot (or insert a corn cob holder into the cut end and, with the cob vertical, carefully cut off the kernels into a flat bowl). Shucks! How can cooked corn on the cob get any easier? :!:

Amigoo
Family

Green Cabbage Blossum

Post by Amigoo »

Green Cabbage Blossum

A "free spirit" but easier adaptation of Sweet Potato Tumble -
http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 25#p190415 ) :love

:roll Ingredients:

1 med. head green cabbage, rinsed then sliced into 6 vertical wedges,
with center core sliced off each wedge.
2 med. sweet potatoes, sliced into circular wedges.
2 large yellow onions, chopped
2 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 tbsp dried parsley
1/4 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp salt

:arrow: Directions:

In a large oven-proof bowl, combine chopped onions and olive oil
(inside of bowl is coated with oil while stirring). Then sprinkle on
parsley, garlic granules, and salt. Mix well, then scoup mixture
into a separate bowl.

Align cabbage wedges along inside of oven-proof bowl with pointed ends
toward the bottom. Place potato wedges between cabbage slices and with
pointed edges along side of bowl; adjust pieces for preferred alignment.

Scoup onion mixture on top of cabbage/potato wedges, creating a mounded
top. Cover bowl with foil and secure firmly around the edge of the bowl.

Bake 2 hrs. at 350F degrees (or until desired vegetable textures).
Loosen foil, but leave on top until bowl is served.

Amigoo
Family

Sirius Banana Bread

Post by Amigoo »

Sirius Banana Bread

Banana bread that minimizes sugar and oil, contains a good measure of oat bran,
but retains traditional banana bread flavors and textures, must be serious.

"The spelling of the name?" 'i' before 'e' except after 'c'. "Well, what happened to 'o'?"
It's all over the recipe: hot, oat, flour, powder, cinnamon, soda, olive, oil. "I see."

Sorry, I'm not persuaded (your 'e' after 'c' hint). But you'll love the nutmeg :love
... even in the recipe! "Are you Sirius?" No, I'm not that bright.

1 1/4 cups hot water
1/2 rounded cup light oat bran

1 3/4 cups spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tbsp white sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt

2/3 cup mashed ripe bananas
2 xlg egg whites, whipped
1 tbsp light olive oil

Lightly coat a medium bread pan with olive oil, then coat with bread flour and tap to remove excess.
15 min. before baking, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

In a warm glass quart measuring cup, add hot water, then stir in oat bran; cover and let oat bran soak 15 min.

In a medium bowl, combine spelt flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; set aside.

Mash 2-3 bananas in a medium bowl, then whip egg whites in a small bowl (or deep mug) until foamy.

When oat bran is ready, vigorously stir in flour mixture, then 2/3 cup mashed bananas,
then egg whites, then olive oil (egg whites and olive oil require extra stirring).

Pour batter into prepared bread pan, reduce oven to 375F degrees and bake 50 min. (or until golden on top).
Allow to cool 5 min., then separate from sides of bread pan with a knife or slotter turner.

Last edited by Amigoo on Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

The repartee in the Sirius Banana Bread recipe might qualify it for the "Say What?" category. ;)

Rod
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod, I think I have caught up with the latest additions in the index. I tried a recipe I was hoping to add to the index over the week end but even though it was delicious the first night, I was not impressed with the way it tasted the second and put it in the compost on the third. :) Ah well, I will type up, in a little bit, a few simple favourites of ours... I will not sleep tonight until it is done! ;) :finger: :mrgreen:

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Sandy
Staff

Re: Halvah

Post by Sandy »

This is one of our favourites... I’ve made countless little halvah balls over the years. It is easy and is a wonderful afternoon “pick me up”, full of the vitality and nutrition that almonds pack.
xxSandy

Halvah

1 and 1/2 cup raw almonds
1/4 cup raw tahini
3 Tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon carob powder

Process almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add the Tahini, honey and vanilla; process thoroughly. Place 1/2 of the mixture in a bowl; set aside. Add carob to the remainder and process.

Press the plain mixture onto a plate until it is 1/4 inch thick (0.5 cm) Don’t worry about filling the plate. Pat the carob mixture between your hands until it is approximately the same thickness. Place the carob mixture over the plain mixture. press the two mixtures together to make a 1/2 inch thick (1 cm) thick two colored slab of halvah. Chill the halvah in the refrigerator for an hour or more then cut into bite-sized pieces and roll into little balls.
Yield 20-24 pieces

from ‘The Raw Gourmet’ by Nomi Shannon
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Sandy
Staff

Re: Creamy Cannellini Beans with Asparagus

Post by Sandy »

This is one of my easy stand byes when the time has slipped up on us and I haven't left anything out for supper. :oops: :roll: It is especially nice when our own fresh asparagus is ready to pick in the spring. (Asparagus picked fresh from your own garden by the way is absolutely delicious raw. Eat it right away as I suspect the shoots get tougher the longer it sits.)

Creamy Cannellini Beans with Asparagus

1. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onion and carrot and fry over moderate heat for 4 minutes until soft. Add the thyme leaves.

2. Rinse the cannellini beans under cold water. Drain thoroughly. Add to the onion and carrot. Mix lightly.

3. Pour in the cream and heat slowly to just below boiling point, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste. Preheat the grill.

4. Place the asparagus spears in a saucepan. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover. Poach for 3-4 minutes until spears are just tender.

5. Meanwhile, toast the bread under the grill until both sides are golden.

6. Place the toast on individual plates. Drain the asparagus and divide the spears between the slices of toast. Spoon the bean mixture over each portion and serve.

Found in 'Step-By-Step 15 -Minute Vegetarian' by Matthew Drennan

I generally poach as much asparagus as I want, putting a hefty serving of this vegetable on each piece of toast. ( :mrgreen: love the stuff) I'm not as fond of it canned, but when it isn't in season, we have used canned asparagus in this recipe. You can also substitute your favourite variety of canned bean for the cannellini. Also, if the bread fits in a toaster, certainly feel free to toast the bread in this manner rather then grilled.

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,
The Halvah and Cannellini with Asparagus are both recipes that I'll try soon! :cheers:

To better control weight (and health), I've eliminated almost all packaged sweet treats from my daily diet. The Chilled Chunky Chocolate is about the only "candy" that I eat now and I don't want chocolate every day. The Halvah (with almonds!) sounds enticing.

:roll Cannellini with fresh asparagus (plus carrots and onions) appeals to my tastes ... even steamed (or microwaved*) with just olive oil, salt, and pepper. Since I'm fond of organic short grain brown rice, I'll first try the Cannellini with Asparagus over this rice.

* I'm no longer concerned about microwave cooking as long as I don't stand close to them while they're in use and when the food being cooked (usually vegetables) has sufficient moisture to cause plenty of steam. However, a microwave that disrupts a digital TV antenna in the nearby room would be unacceptable to many no-cable TV afcionados. ;)

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
The mixture in the Halvah recipe is barely just moist and sticky enough to form little balls. I am wondering if maybe I am not grinding the almonds long enough to create a bit of oil or perhaps it may need to be tweaked a bit. I will be interested to hear how you go with it and what you think may alleviate this problem if indded there is a "problem".
Right now, almonds over here are crazy expensive... can't remember why now. So I probably will wait a bit before making this one.
This is messing up my own almond milk making too. :( So yesterday I tried a recipe for tahini milk which was okay but not thick enough for my morning smoothie. I found this out when liquid went flying out of the base of the cup of my little torpedo blender. (I lost the little ring gasket years ago...) Normally this isn't a problem as the smoothie is thick enough to stay put. I may have to enlist a few extra hands to try and manoeuvre a rubber band in its place.

Hey, I like your rice suggestion! How do you think it would be with the black rice? I was thinking next time I might bake one of your recipes for grain rich bread with it too. :mrgreen: The more grains the better for G.
* I'm no longer concerned about microwave cooking as long as I don't stand close to them while they're in use and when the food being cooked (usually vegetables) has sufficient moisture to cause plenty of steam. However, a microwave that disrupts a digital TV antenna in the nearby room would be unacceptable to many no-cable TV afcionados.

Funny you should mention that...we were just talking about this yesterday... our ancient microwave shuts off the television sound for a moment when it's door is opened or shut. :shock:

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Red's Cabbage

Post by Amigoo »

Red's Cabbage

If this were the recipe of a man named Red, he probably had two brothers, also named Red. Or maybe one (two, or all) of the trio was a sister, nicknamed Red. "Who knew?" :roll: . But the ingredients hint that "Red's" actually refers to the three vegetables that are red in color: cabbage, onion, beets. A tasty, slightly spicy dish that may be served hot or cold; excellent with a perky white cheese! ;)

2 tbsp virgin olive oil
1 med. head red cabbage, rinsed and chopped
2 med. red onions, chopped
2 tbsp water
2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup water

1 tbsp Herbes de Provence seasoning
1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
15oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed
2 cups small cubes of cooked beets

Warm olive oil in a medium soup pot, stir to coat bottom of pot, then add red cabbage, onions, and 2 tbsp water. Sauté 15 min., stirring occasionally (keep pot covered when not stirring).

Stir in apple cider vinegar and 2/3 cup water, then sprinkle on herbs and spices. Stir well, then fold in beans and beets.

Cover pot and simmer 20 min., stirring occasionally.

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:idea: I should move to Australia and we could occupuy both sides of a duplex
... such is the alignment of our culinary thoughts:

Yes, black rice would be another complement to Cannellini with Asparagus.
I had just purchased fresh asparagus yesterday to serve over black rice, so
I'll increase the effort and go all the way for Cannellini with Asparagus. ;)

I tried a microwave journey with the Halvah, but took a wrong turn and
arrived at Hallelujah Halvah :shock: . I'll post this adaptation after I confirm
the quantities (especially of the oat bran).

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Hallelujah Halvah

Post by Amigoo »

:sunflower: Hallelujah Halvah

Before finishing this procedural adaptation (using the microwave) of traditional Halvah recipes,
"O.B. Halvah" (Oat Bran) became "Oh, Be Halvah!", my evening mantra:

:oops: Oat bran was added to compensate for the failure of the microwave-heated honey to crystallize, then coconut oil was added to help moisturize the oat bran ... with assembly (and mixing) on a cookie sheet! :roll:

Eventually, I was ready to scrape the gooey, oily mixture into the garbage can, but then rationalized: Why not roll scoups of this "gourmet stuff" into bite-size pieces and refrigerate overnight to see what happens? Besides, the effort to clean up the kichen and utensils was going to delay bedtime big time! :(

Long story short: Oh, Be Halvah! had then migrated to Hallelujah Halvah before the morning sun had risen (i.e., after a few more trips "back to the drawing board").

1 cup raw honey
3/4 cup sesame tahini
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups light oat bran
1 1/2 cups sliced almonds
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil

Cover a wide dinner plate with plastic wrap.

Heat honey to 235F degrees (soft boil) in a medium pan, stirring occasionally.

While honey is heating, microwave tahini in a glass 2-cup measuring cup until very hot. Stir in salt, cover, and set aside.

When honey is heated, remove pan from heat and slowly stir in oat bran, then tahini mixture. Fold in sliced almonds, stir in coconut oil, then allow mixture to cool to "very warm" temperature, stirring occasionally (tip: this stirring is work).

Distribute spoonsful of halvah onto wrapped dinner plate. Cover plate with more plastic wrap, then with a few paper towels (for next step): press down with another dinner plate or cutting board to flatten halvah (paper towels prevent top plate from sticking to wrap).

Remove top plate and paper towels. Allow halvah to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight. Remove plastic wrap and cut halvah into bite-size pieces; keep refrigerated between servings.

:idea: Notes:
1) This pan becomes an all-movie licker ... if you leave lotsa lickin's.
2) After refrigeration, lightly dust both sides of halvah with coconut flour for easier cutting.
3) Be generous with paper towel sections whenever anything needs to be wiped. ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

:lol: I look forward to your Hallelujah Halvah. :cheers: ( I can't say hallelujah without throwing my arms up in the air... which is actually good for anything that ails you unless of course you are experiencing shoulder problems. ;) )

I may make some Halvah this afternoon...been thinking of adding a little cinnamon to the plain part of the recipe. It might clash mightily with the chocolate, though. Only one way to find out. ( :mrgreen: a good excuse for an extensive taste test. )

If I can't find Herbes de Provence seasoning what do you suggest in its place? (in the Red's cabbage recipe above)

xxSandy
P.S. I see that you have been busy and that the Hallelujah Halvah is posted... Yum! Oh NO!!! I just realized I don't have any honey in the house! :shock: ... sigh...so much for making halvah today... :(
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

I agree: :cheers: Hallelujah!

The experimentation kept oozing the wrong way, but I resisted the seeming inevitable (trash can).
A day later, I can finally see the tasty, chewy treat that it was meant to be. :roll

Thanks for the lead into another culinary adventure! Oat bran soaked in hot honey was a good discovery
... and not to lick hot, gooey spoons a valuable lesson. :oops:

:idea: About no Herbes de Provence ...
The Red's ingredients have complementary flavors - Veggie Pepper seasoning is also nice!

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Halleluja Halvah - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p190490
Heat honey to 235F degrees (soft boil)

;) Hmmm ... a hot honey is a hot honey ...
but even hotter at soft ball stage (not "boil"). :roll:

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Hallelujah Halvah

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Hallelujah Halvah - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p190490

Another option for coating the halvah: light oat bran :roll:
(use a tea strainer to isolate the finer particles)

:roll The honey-soaked oat bran in this halvah does a good job of maintaining sufficient firmness without soft candy stickiness. The chilled, uncoated halvah may also be cut on a cutting board; refrigerate the pieces between layers of plastic wrap.

Note: a large sheet of paper may be substituted for paper towels - place another one on top of the plate before the first layer of plastic wrap (to prevent the plate from sticking to the plastic wrap). ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for the lead into another culinary adventure! Oat bran soaked in hot honey was a good discovery
... and not to lick hot, gooey spoons a valuable lesson. :oops:
That sounds like an important safety tip! :lol: I can only chuckle because...well... I did something very similar with hot caramel sauce! :oops: In our defence.... these hot sticky sweet concoctions override our brain's "wisdom meter." The only thing that saves us is to, without delay, rush to the sink and drown the pot or bowl in hot water. That way there's no going back... I know it's hard, but our tongues will thank us! ;)

... will give HH a try just as soon as I get some honey. :mrgreen:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Hallelujah Halvah

Post by Amigoo »

I had saved the previous batch of Halvah - it was hidden behind other items in the refrigerator (so I didn't discard it like I usually do when a better recipe is found). And this allowed me to compare the two versions: oat bran added last and oat bran soaked in the hot honey.
Conclusion: :cheers: Hallelujah! the first batch is now trash (it was edible but fugetaboutit).

:idea: 1 1/2 cups oat bran (instead of 1 1/3 cups) is an option, but the slight surface stickiness of the Halvah is not a problem (and gives one an excuse to lick one's fingers). Besides, a fiber dusting (coconut flour, lighter oat bran, etc.) is acceptable solution for this "problem".

:idea: Also, I dusted a nibble with chocolate powder (100% cacao) and didn't like the flavor competition. I suspect that I'll keep making the recipe as finally written, not bother dusting, and use a toothpick* if a bite-size piece prefers not to be touched with fingers. :roll:

* use decorative toothpicks for a party! :colors:

Amigoo
Family

Hallelujah Halvah

Post by Amigoo »

If you like coconut, finely shredded coconut is the best coating for the halvah!
Just toss the bite-size pieces in a bowl of shredded coconut, then layer them
in a covered container and keep it refrigerated. ;)

Plastic wrap between these layers is unnecessary but offers better presentation
... or try shredded coconut sprinkled between the layers; :idea: move the pieces
to an interim bowl to use this coconut for sprinkling between layers.

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Hallelujah Halvah - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 50#p190497
Another version: Hallelujah Pumpkin Halvah :roll:

1 cup raw honey
3/4 cup sesame tahini
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups light oat bran
1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds

:idea: Coconut flour (not shredded coconut) is the better coating;
too much coconut flavor detracts from this "paleo" recipe.
(but no coating is my preference with this version)

Amigoo
Family

Hallelujah Halvah

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: Notes:
1. 180F degrees is sufficient heat to soak oat bran in honey and still have firm halvah.
2. Preferred versions of this Hallelujah Halvah:
- 1 1/3 cups oat bran with 1 1/2 cups almonds and shredded coconut coating (softer sweet treat).
- 1 1/2 cups oat bran with 1 1/2 cups pumpkin seeds and coconut flour coating ("paleo" energy nugget).

Amigoo
Family

Paleo Energy Nuggets

Post by Amigoo »

Paleo Energy Nuggets

Note: This recipe is an adaptation of Hallelujah Halvah.

1 cup raw honey
3/4 cup sesame tahini
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups light oat bran*
1 1/2 cups raw pumpkin seeds
Coconut flour* for dusting

* try Bob's Red Mill High Fiber Oat Bran
and Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour.

1. Cover a wide dinner plate with a large paper towel (or sheet of paper), then with plastic wrap.
2. Heat honey to at least 180F degrees in a medium pan, stirring occasionally.
3. While honey is heating, microwave tahini in a glass 2-cup measuring cup until very hot. Stir in salt, cover, and set aside.
4. When honey is heated, remove pan from heat and slowly stir in oat bran, then tahini mixture, then coconut oil.
Fold in pumpkin seeds, then allow mixture to cool to very warm temperature, stirring occasionally.
5. Distribute spoonsful of mixture onto wrapped dinner plate. Cover plate with more plastic wrap, then with a paper towel (or sheet of paper). Press down with another dinner plate or cutting board to flatten mixture (paper towel prevents plates from sticking to wrap).
6. Remove top plate and paper towel. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate overnight.
7. Remove top plastic wrap, sprinkle coconut flour on top of mixture, then place a large cutting board on top and turn over; remove this plastic wrap and sprinkle coconut flour on this side. Cut into bite-size pieces and layer in a mixing bowl, lightly topping each layer with coconut flour. Stir gently to complete coating, then transfer pieces to a container (with cover) for refrigeration between servings.