A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Karotomus

Post by Amigoo »

Karotomus :roll:

"Excellent!" shrieked the palace chef as he addressed his young apprentice: "Carrot!, Tomás! That's the perfect trio!" shouted the chef in appreciation of Tomás' culinary genius in adding thin slices of baby carrot to the two vegetables (asparagus and onion).

Well ... the king had overheard this loud outburst and, thereafter, insisted on the palace always serving the region's first culinary offering that honored the rich black rice of this fertile valley: "Karotomus" (the new chef dared not correct the king's spelling, nor reveal the unintended naming).

:roll Ingredients:

1 cup scoups of chilled, cooked black rice
1 cup scoups of the veggie trio
(chopped carrots, asparagus, onion)

Directions: :arrow:

Prepare black rice according to package instructions, allow to cool slightly, drizzle on 3 tbsp virgin olive oil, stir well, then sprinkle on 1/2 tsp garlic granules and 1 tsp salt. Stir to combine, then cover and refrigerate overnight.

In 1 1/2 cup heat-resistant bowls (the palace used ovens to heat these personal servings), distribute a scoup of chilled black rice around the sides and bottom of the serving dishes. To compress the rice slightly, press on the sides with a spoon and on the bottom with a bamboo cup (or jar).

Carefully fill each bowl with the carrot medley, creating a well-rounded top, then cover and refrigerate until serving time (in our modern era, a heat-resistant bowl turned upside down on top of the rice bowl is ideal for a 3-minute, high-power cycle in the microwave).

Note: Various herbs and spices may be used to embellish this dish, but virgin olive, salt & pepper are the traditional favorites. However, regional sauces are graciously provided for guests whose palates prefer such culinary nativity.

Rod :D
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: UB Cookin'

Post by Sandy »

What a great article. We will speak to G's doctor about low dose vitamin K. Thank you Rod! :sunflower:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Garlic Butter

Post by Amigoo »

Garlic Butter

:cheers: A certain commercial butter* is simply too easy to adapt to a tasty garlic butter spread:

In a medium chilled bowl, combine a 7oz container of "Butter with Olive Oil", 1 1/2 tbsp dried parsley, and 1 tsp garlic granules. Mix thoroughly, then return to original container and refrigerate. Good on bread, rice, veggies, pasta, whatever. Life is good! :roll

* Land O'Lakes

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Banana Dogs on Volcano Beach

Post by Amigoo »

Banana Dogs on Volcano Beach (makes 6 servings)

:roll: Months after the creation of the king's favorite Karotomus* rice dish, no more culinary delights had emerged from the kitchen. Surmising that the palace chefs and their apprentices needed time off to regenerate creative energies, the king ordered all of them to spend the weekend on the volcanic sand of the distant beach ... without provisions except their clothes and adequate food and drink.

"Bon Voyage!" :hithere teased the king as they trudged away. Since much of the discordant chatter on the way to the beach was redolent of "expletives deleted", it was edited out of this narrative.

By noon, having settled upon the volcanic sand, the hapless kitchen staff was still grumbling: "Look at us! Lined up like dogs on a beach! Coconuts have more water - even bananas have more shade!" :x

Long story short (there's a quality limit to impromptu story telling): by the afternoon when they were due to return to the palace, culinary sweet justice would be their new offering to the king. And they conspired to neither reveal the origin of this concept nor ever mention (in the king's presence) its controversial nickname: The King's BVDs.

3 1/2 cups water
15oz bag black rice
1/4 cup virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 tsp salt
med. head green cabbage, coarsely chopped
3 med. bananas, ripe but still firm
1/4 cup coconut manna (puree), warmed
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

Lightly oil a 2-qt baking dish and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar and cinnamon.
15 min. before baking, turn on oven to 350F degrees.

Prepare black rice according to instructions (or **), allow to cool slightly, then stir in 2 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt.

In a medium pot of boiling water, blanch chopped cabbage just until pieces begin to wilt (about 2 min.), then drain well.

Distribute cooked rice on bottom of baking dish and slightly along the sides, then drizzle on coconut manna.

Carefully peel bananas and gently push into black rice, spacing evenly apart with curved side up.

Sprinkle bananas with half of the brown sugar mixture, spoon parboiled cabbage pieces around bananas, then sprinkle remaining brown sugar just on bananas. Drizzle remaining olive oil just on cabbage pieces.

Loosely cover with a sheet of foil and bake 45 min. Turn off oven and allow Banana Dogs to cool in oven 15 min. Cut bananas in half and serve with a wide spatula, scouping up a serving of black rice at the same time.

* Karotomus - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190130

** Cooking black rice: In a medium sauce pan, rinse a 15oz bag of black rice (try Lotus Foods Forbidden Rice), then add 3 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until most of the water is absorbed (about 35 min.). Turn off heat, cover pan and let rest 10 min.

Rod :stars: (too much tasting)
Amigoo
Family

Banana Dogs on Volcano Beach

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Banana Dogs on Volcano Beach - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190153

New day - new perspective: That imaginative story can stay on the beach! :roll:

:idea: In fairness, however, BDVB (spell backwards for the king's garment) was an impromptu test of these flavors and textures, featuring baked bananas and black rice. The test was successful: a bit sweet and oily but good combination of stuff. I would reduce the olive oil to 2 tbsp (coconut manna also provides oil) and just drizzle it over the cabbage ... or skip the olive oil entirely. Also, the brown sugar could be reduced to 1/3 cup since the baked bananas provide generous sweetness. ;)

:!: Bottom line: another recipe for black rice that I would consider whenever three or four bananas were still waiting to be consumed and my palate was begging for a sweet serving of something ... anything. Interestingly, this recipe needs little adaptation to be served as a main dish dessert (baked bananas and whipped cream are a happy pair - even happier with chopped walnuts). 8)

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Sawdust

Post by Amigoo »

Chocolate Sawdust

Re: Banana Dogs on Volcano Beach - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190153
Now, an opened jar of coconut manna with no destiny except Banana Dogs. :roll:

:study: Long story short (because nap time approaches) ...
- I knew that coconut oil gets very hard in the refrigerator.
- I'm still lookin' for ways to incorporate 100% cacao powder.
- A fiber-rich, chocolate snack would be healthier.
So ... I tested this quick & easy, no-cook recipe:

:idea: Combine 1/3 cup coconut manna, 1/3 cup 100% cacao powder,
and 2/3 cup light oat bran; mix well then spoon onto a sheet
of foil, top with another sheet of foil and press flat with
a cutting board. Refrigerate this Sawdust sandwich
for several hours before cutting.

Yuk! :shock: But the experience had residual value:

:idea: Combine 1/3 cup coconut manna, 1/3 cup 100% cacao powder,
1/3 cup light oat bran; 3/4 cup dark raisins, and 2/3 cup
raw pumpkin seeds; mix well then spoon onto a sheet of foil,
top with another sheet and press flat with a cutting board.
Refrigerate this new & improved :roll Sawdust sandwich
for several hours before cutting.
... or create your own Sawdust sandwich! :cheers:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I must try these latest editions. I am still smiling after reading the Banana Dog bit. :lol: I would have never thought of that combination but some of the best flavour combinations have been a surprise. I may make the "Chocolate Sawdust" a little later. I wonder how well it would hold together as a snack type bar?
I truly appreciate your additions to this collection of recipes as well as your other avenues of impute on the board.
Thanks Rod! :cheers:
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Red Cabbage with Caraway

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Red Cabbage with Caraway - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p189994

Who knew?! Banana Dogs like Red Cabbage! :roll: Seriously, the Red Cabbage and black rice make a convenient refrigerated dish for all-week dippin' when prepared similarly to Banana Dogs:

Cook black rice, stir in 2 tbsp virigin olive oil, 1 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp garlic granules, spoon into baking dish and top with chopped then parboiled red cabbage. Bake lightly covered with foil 45 min. Cool, then cover with plastic wrap (or the foil) and refrigerate. Serve whenever and top with whatever (olive oil, cheese, sauces, etc.). Lotsa red cabbage is best! ;)

Petra Wilson
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by Petra Wilson »

This is the right place to post recipes then? :lol: Forgive me, I've been away from
the computer and the MB for too long.
ॐ LOVE Petra
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Petra,

Yes, this is the recipe bin. :roll
Be sure to change Subject to exact recipe name, unless posting a general comment.
To add a later comment to your recipe, change that Subject to the recipe name.

To refer to another recipe, right click on that recipe name (its Subject),
then Copy Link Location and paste into your recipe, like this:
http ://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25032&start=100#p190157

Then prefix this link with that recipe name, like:
Re: Chocolate Sawdust - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190157

Note: "http: ..." compresses to "viewtopic ..."

Amigoo
Family

Chocolate Sawdust

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Chocolate Sawdust - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190157

The original version (chocolate coated oat bran) had unusual appeal - not like candy
but still a satisfying, chewy snack (maybe like chocolate jerky). :roll:

:roll So, a Plan C was sought:

Stir together 1/3 cup warmed coconut manna and 1/3 cup 100% cacao powder.
Then stir in 1/2 cup light oat bran, then 1 cup warmed dark raisins.

Spoon mixture onto a sheet of foil, top with another sheet and press flat with a cutting board.
Refrigerate for several hours before cutting. Keep refrigerated between servings. ;)

Note: Try with 2/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (add with raisins);
increase coconut manna if mixture is too dry.

Amigoo
Family

Really Dilly Cheese

Post by Amigoo »

Really Dilly Cheese

Having enjoyed a pricey ($$) package of hard cheese, flavored with dill and garlic, I wondered if a homemade substitute was possible. Since creating a similar portion of cheese was not likely (not on my To Do List), this alternative was appealing:

:idea: Remove the lid of a 16oz container of lowfat, small curd cottage cheese and place the container upside down in a small strainer, placed over a bowl of equal size. Refrigerate for several days (removes excess moisture), then stir in 2 tbsp preferred mayonnaise, 2 tsp dried dill, and 3/4 tsp garlic granules.

Cover and refrigerate overnight for flavors to blend; stir once more before serving. Experiment with other herbs and spices - this flavored hard cheese alternative will become habitual once the monetary savings is tallied.

Amigoo
Family

Like new plastic bags

Post by Amigoo »

Like new plastic bags

:scratch: How to recycle those plastic shopping bags (reuse them) without their "Been there! Done that!" appearance?

Place two coat hooks on a wall, spaced apart horizontally the distance of the bag's handles. When adding a bag to the stack, place each handle over a hook and pull down on both bottom corners of the bag. Not crumpling the bags after using them helps and just discard those with significant holes (especially in the bottom). ;)

:idea: A decorative flat object over the bags and hanging on the hooks will help maintain the neat appearance of the bags. I'm using a well-intentioned, colorful tennis racket that has yet to visit a court of any persuasion. :roll:

Amigoo
Family

Hot 'n Not Chili

Post by Amigoo »

Hot 'n Not Chili

On the plains of West Texas, chili without beef is "not chili". This recipe includes neither beef nor chili powder, but who's lookin' if these ingredients tumbleweed into the pot on windy days? Best clue for "What's in the Not Chili pot?": Observe the rotations of the many wind turbines on the perimeters of the oil well patches. :roll:

2 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup diced celery tops

2 15oz cans red kidney beans*
8oz can tomato sauce
1 tbsp dried parsley
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp garlic granules
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt

* drain and rinse one can of beans.

In a medium sauce pan, sauté onions and celery in olive oil until al dente; add 2 tbsp water after 3 min. of sauté to prevent scorching.

Stir in remaining ingredients, cover pan and simmer 30 min., stirring occasionally.

Notes: For easiest "not chili" reversion, add cooked beef just before simmering ingredients; 1-2 tsp chili powder is a reasonable complement. If you dare, increase the heat a bit: try adding 1/4 tsp cayenne powder. Yee haw :bounce:
... or try 1 tsp chili powder and 1/2 tsp chipotle chile.

Amigoo
Family

Butter, Si? No!

Post by Amigoo »

Re: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... sease.html

:roll: What a decades-long seesaw! Let's skip both margarine and butter
... and go for the best fat: virgin olive oil (IMO); ever try it on popcorn?!

However, quantity is the key (ocassional butter is acceptable)
... but try to substitute light olive oil when possible. ;)

Amigoo
Family

Butter, Si? No!

Post by Amigoo »

Re: Butter, Si? No! - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p190220

:idea: Speaking of egg and olive oil ...

I suspect that early in famines (when the body can easily digest food),
a large handful of popped corn drizzled with some virgin olive oil and
sprinkled with a little salt can reduce hunger pangs and provide some
nourishment. Add a bite of egg and a nibble of cheese for a "gourmet"
hunger buster. ;)

Also, if I could eat but one meal a day, I would prefer:
Morning Millet - http://board.1111angels.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p189782
With a sprinkle of dried parsley, slice of cheese, and cherry
tomatoes, we might ask "What famine?" :roll:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks Rod, for your latest helpful additions.
I had a laugh at the remarks under the article above. Most of us certainly feel the same way as those voicing their aggravation. I understand that coconut oil is a very good oil for your brain. I don't believe it handles high heat well, though. Dr. Cousins, Author of the book, "There Is A Cure For Diabetes" likes unprocessed (unheated) oils (especially Rice Bran for his recommended raw diet that has had much success in curing the killer Diabetes. Obviously if you are cooking food, though, this would not be perhaps the best option, eh? Out Naturopath, asked George to switch to Butter which we have but with mixed feelings. So we are being swamped, dead centre, in this controversy.

( I'll be honest, though I am not all together fond of the taste of olive oil. ... I know I should be drawn and quartered for that statement. ;) but I do love pop corn :mrgreen: )
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:roll: I've had no trouble rationalizing Land O'Lakes "Butter with Olive Oil",
but keep in mind serving size (1 tbsp; 2 tbsp is my daily limit).
However, I like extra virgin olive oil and reach for this more often
than any other oil or spread. ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Petra))))))))))))))))))))))))))
OMG I thought I said hello to you already here! :shock: It is great to see you, sis...and I am hoping you will share with us some of your cooking wizardry. Honest, I do have more recipes to share too... I just keep loosing time over here... :roll: :oops: :) Thank goodness Rod, another food wizard is on the case... and with some great sounding dishes too... :bana:
xxSandy
:sunny:
Amigoo
Family

O.B. Scrambled

Post by Amigoo »

O.B. Scrambled (makes 2-3 servings)

:cheers: Who knew? Oat bran and scrambled eggs make a quick,
convenient, and nutritious morning meal (or whenever):

In a medium pan, bring 1 cup of water to simmer,
add 1/3 rounded cup of light oat bran and stir.
Allow to simmer 3 min., stirring occasionally.

In a medium bowl, beat 2 large eggs and 2 egg whites.
Add 1 tbsp half & half; beat to combine and set aside.

When oat bran is ready, stir in beaten eggs 3 min.
while mixture is simmering. Turn off heat, cover
pan and allow to warm 10 min. Stir then serve.

Salt & pepper with 2 tsp butter is nice! ;)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Okay that's our breakfast tomorrow. :) I stocked up on oat bran when we were at the store on Tuesday! This sound yummy!... and I think G will like it too.
Thanks Rod!!! :bana:
xxSandy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I did make O.B. Scrambled this morning for breakfast. It is easy to make and a nice change of pace for this "egg eater" who has gotten a bit tired of our usual breakfast fare. I really liked the addition of pepper (salt was an automatic with me.) although it did feel weird... like I was peppering traditional oatmeal, which this is not. It's yummy, easy and nutritious. I give it a :thumright:
Thanks Rod!
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

O.B. Scrambled

Post by Amigoo »

I'm still uncertain about the texture of the eggs, but like the mixed flavors (with added salt, pepper, and butter). While the one-pan convenience is a plus, I may start cooking the eggs separately*, then mix them in while the oat bran is still hot. This combination is good refrigerated, then reheated in the microwave.

:idea: * Use 4-cup Pyrex measuring cup to scramble eggs in microwave:

Lightly coat inside of measuring cup with olive oil (or butter);
beat eggs in a bowl, add 1 tbsp half & half, beat to combine,
then pour into measuring cup.

Heat on medium-high for 30 sec., stir, then heat again
in repeating cycles until eggs are cooked.

Once eggs begin to steam,
reduce cook time to 20 sec. each cycle.

Note: Cook cycles and cook time can be
adapted to the power of the microwave.
(my 4 eggs cooked in less than 3 min.)

Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Cooking eggs in a microwave, as in scrambled is a pain, because you have to blast, wait, blast, wait, blast, wait but they taste slightly different, in fact i think a bit nicer. But with a non stick pan I cant see the point myself.

hugs
G
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Re: "blast, wait, blast ..."

:idea: I'm testing a hot hair dryer* method: