The benefits of reading the Urantia Book

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Yoder777
Old Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

The benefits of reading the Urantia Book

Post by Yoder777 »

My wife, parents, and most people I mention it to don't understand why I read the Urantia Book. I would appreciate it if the members of this forum could help by please using this thread to explain how reading the Urantia Book has benefited your life. What are the practical benefits of reading the Urantia Book, as you've experienced?
Sandy
Staff

Re: The benefits of reading the Urantia Book

Post by Sandy »

I will give it some thought Yoder. To be honest though, the answer the real answer comes straight from your own heart...be prepared, it may not inspire them, though, as this path for whatever reason does not inspire all people. But that is true of every spiritual/religious path.

Have you ever wondered why anybody in their right mind could believe something? I know I have and in return seen that same look on other people's faces when the Urantia book comes up. :lol: Why do we believe or disbelieve something? I suppose the answer would be complex and full of many variables depending on the person themselves.
But in a most simplistic terms and in my case, as a long-time seeker... I think I read and embrace the Urantia book because of the overwhelming joy I feel that wells up from within me as I continue to read its pages. "The book" gives me so much hope, hope not only for my life as I live it every day in the present, but for the eternal future as well. It has allowed me to see that we are unlimited in the guidance and wisdom we will obtain throughout eternity and we will never be alone. No, always we dwell within the embrace of the almighty God who is the same God, the same Source of all matter, all life, all religions and spiritual persuasions...all embracing unconditional Love. The Urantia book brings that fact alive for me, it speaks to my soul in a language with which it can interpret and grow...something I hadn't experienced, ever before. It has allowed me room to spread my own spiritual roots without the need to cut and chop or to to discourage new growth in various directions. (if that makes any sense. LOL) There are passages, papers, I have read in this big blue book that have brought tears to my eyes so much do they move me...and they remain in my heart afterwards, the greater essence...a vast storehouse of inspiration when the days are dark.

But to be honest, my mother might respond in a similar way in describing Her Bible... :) what moves us and lights that inner fire is very personal... the relationship it inspires between us and the Source of all, very unique and special. Sometimes the best we can hope for in the explanation of our spiritual pursuits to others is that they will allow us, without worry and detriment, to follow our soul's heart, safe with the knowledge that in the end we will all be skipping up the same vast mountain to our Paradise Home in the stars.

With love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Yoder777
Old Friend

Post by Yoder777 »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
Yoder777
Old Friend

Post by Yoder777 »

The Urantia Book has answered more of my questions about our relationship with God, the origin of life, life on other planets, life after death, etc. than anything I've ever seen, and yet it doesn't condemn you if you don't believe in it or require you to join an institutional religion. That, my friends, is pretty amazing.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Where's the like button? LOL I love what you just said, Yoder!
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Yoder777 wrote:The Urantia Book has answered more of my questions about our relationship with God, the origin of life, life on other planets, life after death, etc. than anything I've ever seen, and yet it doesn't condemn you if you don't believe in it or require you to join an institutional religion. That, my friends, is pretty amazing.
And while I agree with all that, yet IMHO it still does not teach you how to have that relationship with Father.

hugs
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

And while I agree with all that, yet IMHO it still does not teach you how to have that relationship with Father.
I agree because that requires action on our part. Yet the example of Jesus' life his teachings the way he lived and handled situations by always communing with the Father/ Divine Source as is depicted in the fourth section, goes a long way to inspiring just such a relationship. (IMHO ;) :kiss: )
hugs,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

it still does not teach you how to have that relationship with Father
:idea: But knowing (and believing) that a personal relationship with Father is possible
- without an intermediary - is just the ticket for discovery of the "how to".

Incidentally, here's how to appreciate our human evolutionary orgin:
http://www.texasbookman.com/p/62658/ori ... pecies-mug

An intriguing item with indirect promotion of the UB's version of origins
(get one before they all hop away): :roll:

:study: "... The surviving members of the early reptilian families are turtles, snakes, and crocodiles, together with the venerable frog, the only remaining group representative of man’s earlier ancestors." (61:2.6)

"The kingdom of reptiles, descended from the frog family, is today represented by four surviving divisions: two nonprogressive, snakes and lizards, together with their cousins, alligators and turtles; one partially progressive, the bird family, and the fourth, the ancestors of mammals and the direct line of descent of the human species ... " (65:2.10)

Rod :bounce:
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Now that is a great mug! I have always liked and been kind to frogs, and this budding love affair grew into a deeper respect after the Urantia Book. ;) :)

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Rod. xx
love,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

This mug is sold in an attractive box*; insert the UB quotes
when gifting the mug to UB readers. :D

* when it was purchased at a local book store;
inquire first if purchasing online. ;)

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

The quotes about frogs in context using hyperlinks to the UB text:
( http://www.theub.org/uploads/3/1/6/4/31 ... rlinks.pdf )

:study: http://www.theub.org/part-iii.html#P061_2_6

"... The surviving members of the early reptilian families are turtles, snakes, and crocodiles, together with the venerable frog, the only remaining group representative of man’s earlier ancestors." (61:2.6)

:study: http://www.theub.org/part-iii.html#P065_2_10

"The kingdom of reptiles, descended from the frog family, is today represented by four surviving divisions: two nonprogressive, snakes and lizards, together with their cousins, alligators and turtles; one partially progressive, the bird family, and the fourth, the ancestors of mammals and the direct line of descent of the human species ... " (65:2.10)

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: How frogs (and humans) might hop in Darwin's theory of evolution:

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone circling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

"The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, 6th Edition,
Chapter 15 - Recapitulation And Conclusion

Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: Curiosity about this scientific proof (and only brief reflection on this) brought to mind (oops! - a pun) that which we UB readers know to be true but is not known by many scientists, atheists, and others. Consider ...

:scratch: Re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVm8RokoBA
"no humans think outside the box" (Schroeder's comment)

Our Revelation informs us that humans indeed think outside the box (at least, in potential) because of the true mechanism of mind and the interaction of spiritual influences (beings, in particular). By these influences and mechanisms, humans can know that which is unknowable (according to scientists, et al.): 8)

:study: "The physiologic equipment and the anatomic structure of all new orders of life are in response to the action of physical law, but the subsequent endowment of mind is a bestowal of the adjutant mind-spirits in accordance with innate brain capacity. Mind, while not a physical evolution, is wholly dependent on the brain capacity afforded by purely physical and evolutionary developments." (58:6.7)

"Adjusters should not be thought of as living in the material brains of human beings. They are not organic parts of the physical creatures of the realms. The Thought Adjuster may more properly be envisaged as indwelling the mortal mind of man rather than as existing within the confines of a single physical organ. And indirectly and unrecognized the Adjuster is constantly communicating with the human subject, especially during those sublime experiences of the worshipful contact of mind with spirit in the superconsciousness." (110:1.1)

:?: Interestingly, if that which "cannot be known" is known by a human, is the knowing not validated - not believable - until science can prove it? Conversely, if the knowing is believable, does this help prove the existence of such spiritual influences and mechanisms?

Regardless, UB readers seem to have a revelatory mandate to share as much as possible with the world about "mind" and "spiritual influences" now known to exist ... but not necessarily proven by science.

Rod :D
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: New idea today ...

Local UB readers should gather several times a year to celebrate/share their accumulating tadpole moments. Of course, "Bring your mug!" should be included in every meeting announcement. The heart of the concept is to do something unlike typical Urantia gatherings ... and not necessarily limit participation to UB readers. The commonality of members would be recognition of a spiritual afterlife and continuous, purposeful advancement during this life .... by innumerable tadpole moments. 8)

As for a group name, Egyptian hieroglyphics* provide an intriguing clue; consider: In the numeric values from 1 to 1 million, the frog symbol (100,000) is followed by the man symbol (1 million). Perfect "transition" symbolism for what we know to be an evolutionary fact! ;)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_numerals

Re: Darwin's book and Origin of Species mug
( http://www.texasbookman.com/p/62658/ori ... pecies-mug )

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and that, whilst this planet has gone circling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

"The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, 6th Edition,
Chapter 15 - Recapitulation And Conclusion.

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

"Bring your mug!" ;)
No sooner did I hop from one lilly pad to another when the idea received embellishment: :roll

A friend's (a UB reader) reference to "tadpole" this morning was the perfect inspirational keyword for this concept of social interaction! After further reflection ... such independent, worldwide, and frequent gatherings of these Harmonious Hoppers might nurture many dedicated participants for a future, impressively inclusive "Fatherhood of God, Brotherhood of Man" planetary organization. :finger:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That was an interesting article about numerals in Egyptian hieroglyphics. Thanks Rod! I can see that a basic understanding of the most common hieroglyphics would make a visit to these ancient sites much more meaningful. Sort of like reading a text from someone thousands of years old. I also like the Tadpole name for the local group of open minded peaceful spirit sharers... (couldn't think of a way to put it. LOL )
And who knows... "tadpole groups" may spring up all over the world. :finger: :bana:

XXSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:idea: This perspective on increasing "Urantia Institutionalism" (UI) in Urantia Book dissemination is presented only to counsel that non-institutional dissemination (aka "living the teachings" and "Fatherhood of God - Brotherhood of Man") is also important. This perpsective is a complement of "letting each person run their own spiritual race" (without requiring membership in or support of a formal Urantia group):

:roll: Admittedly, an "out of the box" perspective, but such perspectives abound outside some boxes, opened late at night (such as this) ...

No sooner did I elate about the potential convergence of some formal Urantia groups when I awakened to the seeming path of this convergence: Urantia Institutionalism. Not necessarily a hazardous path, but one that needs to be well-complemented with UB dissemination that is not "institutional". Independent study groups (which have long existed) might qualify as non-institutional; unaffiliated UB missionaries (lowercase "m") could be another effective complement to UI.

Perhaps, UI should always include active support for all dissemination that is not UI at work. ;)

Rod ... :bike: ...
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: The real Paleo diet ...
Re: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-pa ... 2015-08-18

"A University of Chicago study published earlier this month suggests that carbohydrate consumption, especially in the form of starch found in plant root tubers, like those found on potatoes, was vital for the acceleration of brain growth over the last 3 million years."

"'Eating meat may have kick-started the evolution of bigger brains, but cooked starchy foods together with more salivary amylase genes made us smarter still,' the study concluded."

:cheers: The UB agrees ...

"Primitive man is for the most part carnivorous; the Material Sons and Daughters do not eat meat, but their offspring within a few generations usually gravitate to the omnivorous level, although whole groups of their descendants sometimes remain nonflesh eaters. This double origin of the post-Adamic races explains how such blended human stocks exhibit anatomic vestiges belonging to both the herbivorous and carnivorous animal groups." ( 52:3.8 )

"It was these enforced changes in living conditions which caused such a large proportion of the human race to become omnivorous in dietetic practice. And the combination of the wheat, rice, and vegetable diet with the flesh of the herds marked a great forward step in the health and vigor of these ancient peoples." ( 81:1.8 )

:idea: About the modern "gluten" problem ...
81:1.8 alludes to whole grains more than bread and flour!

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:sunny: The real Paleo diet ...

Re: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-pa ... 2015-08-18
"cooked starchy foods together with more salivary amylase genes"

:!: Interesting but subtle dietary caveat: foods must still be masticated properly for best nutrition.

Also, the current popularity of the Paleo diet needs to consider that our teeth for grinding (seeds, nuts, grains, etc.) are evolving to 28 from 36 ... which suggests that the Life Carriers planned on complementary evolution of the human diet:

:study: "The continuation of such biologic adjustments is illustrated by the evolution of teeth in the higher Urantia mammals; these attained to thirty-six in man’s remote ancestors, and then began an adaptative readjustment toward thirty-two in the dawn man and his near relatives. Now the human species is slowly gravitating toward twenty-eight. The process of evolution is still actively and adaptatively in progress on this planet." (65:6.5)

:stars: This dietary evolution may be going astray with modern food processing (especially, over-processed and convenience foods with "laboratory-improved" nutrition).

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for that Rod. You've given me food for thought. ;) :) Seriously, it is quite confusing finding the way between experts telling us their version of the best way we are to eat. I must admit all the hoopla, though, at least has me reading the ingredients on packages now. It can be shocking all the chemical flavourings and additions that have made it into our modern food production. :shock:

Not to be put off... I could sure go for a bowl of ice cream about now. :oops: :roll: :)

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:scratch: Do you like chocolate rice? This is a new healthy & tasty recipe! (IMO)
Even good for breakfast (try with walnuts)! Other brands might be substituted:
http://www.amazon.com/Lotus-Foods-Heirl ... B00198C89I

:cheers: While it sounds like a dessert recipe, consider complex carbohydrates (black rice),
antioxidants (100% cacao and black rice), minimal sugar, and beneficial oil (coconut).

How does this relate to the UB?
UB happy with this recipe! :D

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod, I can honestly say, I don't know if I would like it as I never heard of it before. But chocolate is a surprising food in its ability to blend beautifully with almost anything. Your timing is great as I was just telling George how bored I was with our usual breakfast fare. This black rice with or even without chocolate sounds enticing. We must give it and your recipe a try. I will look for a seller on these shores... something close by would be ideal to avoid high postage costs.
Thanks for this, I know we will love it whether served as a dessert or an eye opening breakfast.
How does this relate to the UB?
UB happy with this recipe!
:lol:
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

Here's my favorite combination for black rice (good with shredded cheese or cubes):
http://allrecipes.com/personalrecipe/63 ... etail.aspx

I prefer hearty rice texture and use 3 1/2 cups water per 15oz bag. Simmer rice without stirring,
then fluff with a fork before serving (or refrigerating). ;)

As for the chocolate rice, 3 2/3 cups water is better. But this recipe loses appeal if refrigerated
(the rice keeps absorbing the extra moisture and becomes pasty).

UB happy and healthy with the red cabbage recipe! :lol:

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That one is definitely a keeper. I love red cabbage! Sounds simple easy and wholesome too. Would be great for supper tonight as its been one of those rainy windy days when comfort food would go down well. We've had three days of deluges here on the coast of NSW but I think we are past the worst of it. There was some flooding in low lying areas and storm damage in and around Sydney. So there's lots of "dirty birds" looking for some sunshine here. :D This duck doesn't mind though. :roll

I'll remember the suggestions for the rice. Sounds like as far as the chocolate rice goes, I shouldn't make more then we will eat in an evening. I'm looking forward to trying it...love brown rice and the black rice sounds even better. :bana:
Thanks Rod. :D
hugs,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

On another UB-related blog, someone commented that "the paraphrased sections aren't actually the words of Jesus but ones that were taken from human sources and edited by the midwayers and that it wouldn't be accurate to say these are Jesus' words."

To hint that midwayers would not have known how to paraphrase to the satisfaction of Jesus (now Michael) required a response: :roll:

:cheers: "We can assume that religion on our post-bestowal Son planet is continually guided to be progressive - any words of the human Jesus that were edited (especially, paraphrased) by the midwayers certainly have the complete approval - maybe mandate - of Michael. And paragraph 195:9.2's "new vision of the Master’s life on earth" hints of the need for frequent restatement of Jesus' teachings, as the centuries roll toward light and life!"

Else, what is the purpose of celestial companionship and guidance on 606?" ;)

Rod :D