Captain's Table

A forum to discuss the Urantia Book.
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Captain's Table

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I think it centered on the incredible speeds...light speed? But it such a while back that I saw the show that I can't remember the details. Seems like Tom Selleck narrated it. :scratch:
I found this simple explanation of Einstein's Special theory here ... http://spaceplace.nasa.gov/review/dr-ma ... ravel.html
The great 20th century scientist Albert Einstein developed a theory called Special Relativity. The ideas of Special Relativity are very hard to imagine because they aren't about what we experience in everyday life, but scientists have confirmed them. This theory says that space and time are really aspects of the same thing—space-time. There's a speed limit of 300,000 kilometers per second (or 186,000 miles per second) for anything that travels through space-time, and light always travels the speed limit through empty space.

Special Relativity also says that a surprising thing happens when you move through space-time, especially when your speed relative to other objects is close to the speed of light. Time goes slower for you than for the people you left behind. You won't notice this effect until you return to those stationary people.

Say you were 15 years old when you left Earth in a spacecraft traveling at about 99.5% of the speed of light (which is much faster than we can achieve now), and celebrated only five birthdays during your space voyage. When you get home at the age of 20, you would find that all your classmates were 65 years old, retired, and enjoying their grandchildren! Because time passed more slowly for you, you will have experienced only five years of life, while your classmates will have experienced a full 50 years.

So, if your journey began in 2003, it would have taken you only 5 years to travel to the year 2053, whereas it would have taken all of your friends 50 years. In a sense, this means you have been time traveling. This is a way of going to the future at a rate faster than 1 hour per hour.

Time travel of a sort also occurs for objects in gravitational fields. Einstein had another remarkable theory called General Relativity, which predicts that time passes more slowly for objects in gravitational fields (like here on Earth) than for objects far from such fields. So there are all kinds of space and time distortions near black holes, where the gravity can be very intense.
The universe is filled with the most wonderful stuff and that is just what I can imagine with my simple human mind. In reading these early papers my zeal for the journey is being renewed in a big way. Even if it takes me a couple zillion years to make it to Paradise I plan on enjoying every minute of it and the new things to learn do and see! :bana:

Today I am reading Paper 17 The Seven Superuniverses. It is rather long so I do not think I will get it completed today...but who knows. :finger:
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:study: As I recall, the UB contains no discussion of how beings age during transit (at any speed). Perhaps, this suggests that our biologic age is significant only while we're humans. With morontia bodies (and beyond to true spirts), any speed-of-light travel benefits (e.g., slower aging) are immaterial (yeah! a pun!) since spiritual advancement - not biology - determines our rate of "aging" (those future periods when we qualify for "body" upgrade).

:scratch: The "time goes slower" theory somehow discounts natural aging: what, specifically, causes biologic aging to slow down? A change in gravity and how that affects human cells? Something seems irrelevant in the comparison of massless, point-to-point travel (light and its speed) to 3-dimensional beings with circulating body fluids, electro-chemical circuits, plenty of mass (even more after holidays), etc.

So, I wandered to the internet for more enlightenment (yeah! pun two):
:idea: http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... -light.htm

"If an object tries to travel 186,000 miles per second, its mass becomes infinite, and so does the energy required to move it. For this reason, no normal object can travel as fast or faster than the speed of light."

:cheers: Conversely (logic is great!), the slower this local object (my overweight body) moves, the less mass it should have.
Therefore, I'm heading to the kitchen for a late-night snack but will sit still and chew slowly. :roll:

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

:lol: Now I know why my mother always reminded me to chew slowly. ;)
Still working on paper 17. :hithere
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:oops: I was 5 Papers behind schedule, then rushed ahead to 2 Papers ahead of schedule.
Now I'm 3 Papers behind schedule - a good indication of "system weakness".

A more dedicated, more frequent reading routine will be necessary for me!
... and a lock on the geometry creativity sandbox seems critical. ;)

In the past, I had to give reading priority over understanding to stay on schedule.
This may seem counter-intuitive, but our minds retain "pieces of the puzzle"
... and reading faster provides an effective panorama of the revelation. 8)

:roll: Ultimately, a reading challenge may be more appropriate for those who
have read and studied the UB for years (making the reading challenge
more review than early exposure).

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod
I did want to regain a sense of the panorama of the Urantia book as I did after my first cover to cover reading. For me nothing compared to that first reading...the excitement of so much wisdom and knowledge was like discovering new colors or sounds. I was awed by the reality of it all. LOL ..don't really know how to describe it. This reading challenge has benefitted me, allowing me to develop a better morning routine which is when I do the bulk of the reading. ( I fall asleep in the evening. :roll: ) But I can see how it is very easy for me to lag behind at this pace when things unforetold come up. So I am trying not to stress over the unexpected interruptions of this week as this is the stuff that life is made of. I will somehow, make up any lost time along the way because I so want to pull into "port" on March 27th with the rest of "the crew".

The next few weeks will be a bit of a trial as I have tons of book work to complete. Well...we don't work alone and if it doesn't kill us will make us stronger, right? LOL Yes, I am being a little over melodramatic. ;) :mrgreen:

XXSandy :study:
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,

:roll: Here's experiential wisdom on the concept of "work" ...

- When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.
- When life hands you peanuts, you make peanut butter.
- When life hands you gold, you retire and hire someone
to make your lemonade and peanut butter. :roll

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Planned reading strategy ...

:idea: Since a friend will be visiting for a week in November
and since the reading challenge extends through the busy winter holidays,
October is my last opportunity this year to move far ahead of schedule
(to compensate for expected days lost this winter).

I'm commenting now so that the strategy can be evaluated in January. 8)
:finger: Today's schedule: Papers 23 and 24

I plan to keep using my personal set of 33% faster audio (one file per paper)
to maintain reading pace and because this forces concentration ;)
(since I don't stop it once it starts).

:study: Most memorable paragraph recently:

"After his elevation to settled sovereignty in a local universe a Paradise Michael is in full control of all other Sons of God functioning in his domain, and he may freely rule in accordance with his concept of the needs of his realms. A Master Son may at will vary the order of the spiritual adjudication and evolutionary adjustment of the inhabited planets. And such Sons do make and carry out the plans of their own choosing in all matters of special planetary needs, in particular regarding the worlds of their creature sojourn and still more concerning the realm of terminal bestowal, the planet of incarnation in the likeness of mortal flesh." (21:5.9)

This hints that our planet may host unexpected celestial visitors, perhaps in our lifetime! :o

Rod
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:farao: New wisdom about this reading challenge ...
There should be no days where not reading is a choice
(not reading should only be response to a higher priority).

:( ... because every non-reading day reduces any lead
achieved by reading ahead of schedule.

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
:roll: Here's experiential wisdom on the concept of "work" ...

- When life hands you lemons, you make lemonade.
- When life hands you peanuts, you make peanut butter.
- When life hands you gold, you retire and hire someone
to make your lemonade and peanut butter. :roll
:lol: enjoyed that! So did George! :lol:

I'm trying to follow your lead expressed in your last post and do maintain at least some reading every day. I fell into a bit of trouble with Paper 16 and 17 and lost some of my head start. These two were difficult for me and my concentration floundered trying to comprehend. :shock: But I am back in the happy reading groove now and sailing comfortably through and hopefully retaining more of what I read. In the last two papers (20 and 21) I am reminded of what competent, loving and merciful sovereigns are the Creator Michaels in the Universe of their making. I have complete faith that Michael will guide us in what ever way is effective, quite possibly with the wonderful assistance of secondary Paradise brethren, towards the era of Light and Life. It would be wonderful if we were fortunate to see these things at least the beginnings of these things... :finger:

Christmas season won't be a problem for us here as we don't have visitors this time of years as most people do. In fact, it is rather low key compared to how I once celebrated... still filled with lots of joy though. I must admit, I miss some aspects of the Christmases of old... well...I miss lots of thing, my family most importantly. But dwelling on it does me no good.
So what will December bring this year? What will today bring? :lol: I suppose I could sort of change the old adage and say..."Take care of the moments of today and the moments of tomorrow will take care of themselves."
sigh...now if only I would remember that. ;)
love,
Sandy
P.S. You're doing so well! I like how you have disciplined yourself to continue the audio reading nonstop when once begun. :thumright:
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

You're doing so well!
... but only when I'm doing so well. :roll:
(I missed a day and lost part of the lead ... again)

:oops: With only controllable distractions now, I'll be in schedule trouble if higher priorities arrive.

It's time for me to rediscover determination and focus, then chart a more consistent daily course. :finger:

:idea: This vacillation reminds me how often I had to be a social hermit for the 70-day challenge!
(once 2 days behind schedule, the next weekend becomes Reading Room only).

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I lost some ground yesterday too. But the night is still young so maybe I can catch up before bedtime. We just had two lovely Mormon missionaries visit us this afternoon. I really love these guys. The light shines from their faces as they talk of God and what this Infinite being means to them. It has been a good afternoon. :happy

But now for a little more reading before supper. :sunny:
xxSandy
:study:
P.S. I can't imagine a 70 day Urantia reading Challenge! :shock: That's well over 2 papers on average a day. :shock:
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

It's time for me to rediscover determination and focus, then chart a more consistent daily course.
Hmmm ... Every two days I now read two Papers (averages one per day!) 8)
Well ... determination, focus, and consistency but no preparation for "higher priorities". :(

:idea: For me, a lock on the geometry creativity sandbox (with unlock time for good behavior)
will be the necessary correction.

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I finished my reading a little late today. I have been playing catch up with two papers. I think I am back on track now with only a slight head start but still happy to be plowing along and today enjoying the renewed insights on the wonders that make up our Universe.

I came across one of my favourite parts...I'll never forget the first time I read this. It provided so much reassurance.

Paper 22 Part 2. The Mighty Messengers
(245.6) 22:2.6
I am a Mighty Messenger, and it may interest Urantians to know that the companion and associate of my mortal experience was also triumphant in the great test, and that, though we were many times and for long periods separated in the agelong inward ascent to Havona, we were embraced in the same seven-hundred-thousand group, and that we spent our time passing through Vicegerington in close and loving association. We were finally commissioned and together assigned to Uversa of Orvonton, and we are often dispatched in company for the execution of assignments requiring the services of two Messengers.
I also found another paragraph in Paper 23 that mentions extreme velocities and time..

Paper 23 The Solitary Messengers
Part 3. The Time space Services of Solitary Messengers
(261.4) 23:3.6
Of the myriads of beings who co-operate with us in the conduct of the affairs of the superuniverse, none are more important in practical helpfulness and timesaving assistance. In the universes of space we must reckon with the handicaps of time; hence the great service of the Solitary Messengers, who, by means of their personal prerogatives of communication, are somewhat independent of space and, by virtue of their tremendous transit velocities, are so nearly independent of time.
It is amazing! They travel at unbelievable speeds!!!
(261.1) 23:3.3
Solitary Messengers are, therefore, generally used for dispatch and service in those situations where personality is essential to the achievement of the assignment, and where it is desired to avoid the loss of time which would be occasioned by the sending of any other readily available type of personal messenger. They are the only definitely personalized beings who can synchronize with the combined universal currents of the grand universe. Their velocity in traversing space is variable, depending on a great variety of interfering influences, but the record shows that on the journey to fulfill this mission my associate messenger proceeded at the rate of 841,621,642,000 of your miles per second of your time.

(261.2) 23:3.4
It is wholly beyond my ability to explain to the material type of mind how a spirit can be a real person and at the same time traverse space at such tremendous velocities. But these very Solitary Messengers actually come to, and go from, Urantia at these incomprehensible speeds; indeed, the whole economy of universal administration would be largely deprived of its personal element were this not a fact.
... And they are not the only ones who can move with great speed, even though compared to the Solitary Messengers these beings move at a crawl... :lol:
(260.6) 23:3.2
The universe is well supplied with spirits who utilize gravity for purposes of transit; they can go anywhere any time — instanter — but they are not persons. Certain other gravity traversers are personal beings, such as Gravity Messengers and Transcendental Recorders, but they are not available to the super- and the local universe administrators. The worlds teem with angels and men and other highly personal beings, but they are handicapped by time and space: The limit of velocity for most nonenseraphimed beings is 186,280 miles of your world per second of your time; the midway creatures and certain others can, often do, attain double velocity — 372,560 miles per second — while the seraphim and others can traverse space at triple velocity, about 558,840 miles per second. There are, however, no transit or messenger personalities who function between the instantaneous velocities of the gravity traversers and the comparatively slow speeds of the seraphim, except the Solitary Messengers
Will we be the "nonenseraphimed beings"?

Well I am "WOWED" enough for one night. I’m off to make our supper. :hithere
Love,
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

Sandy,
Will we be the "nonenseraphimed beings"?
This UB paragraph explains that we'll be dependent on public transportation all the way to Paradise: 8)

:study: "Even on Salvington ascending mortals do not possess personal transit forms. Ascenders must depend upon seraphic transport in advancing from world to world until after the last rest of sleep on the inner circle of Havona and the eternal awakening on Paradise. Subsequently you will not be dependent on angels for transport from universe to universe." (39:2.10)

But travel discounts are available whenever you pre-register online. :roll:

Rod ... :bike: ...
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

But travel discounts are available whenever you pre-register online. :roll:
:lol: Thanks for that! ;)
xxSandy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I found this interesting tidbit a couple days ago.
Paper 25 part 3.

(277.4) 25:3.7 The moment the Creators bring into existence evolving individuals with the power of choice, that moment a departure is made from the smooth working of divine perfection; misunderstandings are certain to arise, and provision for the fair adjustment of these honest differences of viewpoint must be made. We should all remember that the all-wise and all-powerful Creators could have made the local universes just as perfect as Havona. No conciliating commissions need function in the central universe. But the Creators did not choose in their all-wisdom to do this. And while they have produced universes which abound in differences and teem with difficulties, they have likewise provided the mechanisms and the means for composing all these differences and for harmonizing all this seeming confusion.
Christ Michael is All-Wise and All- powerful! Just imagine.... should He have wanted, He could have created us perfect just like Havona! :cheers: yep, He's certainly a chip off the "Old Block" and certainly has everything under control even on our backwards planet. That is most enlightening and comforting in these confused times. :happy

xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:oops: I'm not yet consistent in my reading (including 3 consecutive days without reading), but still managed to stay ahead of schedule - Paper 33 is next. My goal for the holidays ahead is to get 2 weeks ahead of schedule and try to maintain that lead into January. With a week's dedication in November to hosting a visitor, any lead might easily dissipate. A 2-week lead by the end of October seems the better strategy.

These Part I Papers make future life so enticing that desire for morontia status keeps increasing ... and it seems "just around the corner". :roll

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I too am into the second part and paper 32. I found Part 1 to be exciting but as my ole lack of self esteem kicked in I worried about ever fitting the Paradise program. LOL How silly when that may very well be zillions of years away for this slow poke. One step at a time... and I must remember I will not be required to acquire anything I am not ready for. :)
The last paper in the First Part all about The Corp of Finality was exciting! I kept thinking, though... Only one Midwayer to a group of 1000!!!! We need room for at least 4. LOL Bzutu probably just rolled his eyes. I love these "guys" so much. It will all be better then wonderful and all things will fall perfectly and exactly into place. :bana:
:loves
Sandy
peacockplume
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by peacockplume »

Hi Sandy and Rod,

OK,,I'm in !!

I'm just reading this thread and am only on Sep 15th on the first page...

I'm taking a suggestion from Sandy and starting today where you all (Haven't seen anyone else's name yet) are.

I see by the posts that Oct 11, Sandy was on Paper 32, I know she's 17 hrs ahead, but I'm just going to go by the dates posted here.

So today, now, for me,,it's Oct 12th, so I'm going to jump in to Paper 33.

Hopes that's ok with everyone....

I love reading the UB and usually do it with Maggi,,,,so I should could,,,will,,,probably do the reading with her daily.

I will also try to catch up in the UB, along with the posts here.

love and blessings,,,pp
Daily Affirmation:
I am alive to beauty, to laughter, to wonders within and without.
I am free to live and to enjoy life.
I accept divine presence as the fulfillment of my needs.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That's great PP. The more the merrier. :sunflower: I had difficulty getting to the book yesterday. So this afternoon I am hoping to dig in for a couple hours of reading.
I read about 10 minutes this morning before interruptions but in that time got to contemplate what it must be like for those physical systems that have 4 inhabited planets. (Paper32 Part 2)
(359.6) 32:2.9 The organization of planetary abodes is still progressing in Nebadon, for this universe is, indeed, a young cluster in the starry and planetary realms of Orvonton. At the last registry there were 3,840,101 inhabited planets in Nebadon, and Satania, the local system of your world, is fairly typical of other systems.

(359.7) 32:2.10 Satania is not a uniform physical system, a single astronomic unit or organization. Its 619 inhabited worlds are located in over five hundred different physical systems. Only five have more than two inhabited worlds, and of these only one has four peopled planets, while there are forty-six having two inhabited worlds.
Imagine having such near by neighbours. That's when you hope that they're all friendly. :shock:
Love to you both,
Sandy
peacockplume
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by peacockplume »

Hmmm,,,imagine indeed!!!

An awesome place for me to start...Maggi and I once tried to make a map of where everything is....hahahahaha the magnitude of it kind of set us spinning...

We are sooooooooooooooooooo small and a speck within the creation,,,and yet how honored that Michael chose here to finish His Bestowal.

A few weeks ago a friend sent me a picture of where we are within our galaxy,,,but it was the bigger part of the picture that was staggering...I will send it to you via your personal email. It came to 'light' from a group of astromoners in Hawaii who captured it, and got to name it. It just makes me wonder where it is in the bigger picture of Nebadon.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rENyyRwxpHo perhaps you have already seen it,,,,,,it makes me feel like we are still just the point of a pin.

so to have a description,,,such as it is in Paper 32,,,well lets just say,,,I'm still gasping.

Now I better keep reading...xo

pp
Daily Affirmation:
I am alive to beauty, to laughter, to wonders within and without.
I am free to live and to enjoy life.
I accept divine presence as the fulfillment of my needs.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hello Rod and PP,
Thanks for that video, PP. I feel so small sitting here on our beautiful blue planet looking out at the starry night. I feel so blessed at the same time. Would we really want to be anywhere else? Okay don't answer that. LOL I will enjoy this place until it is no longer my home and then hopefully I will feel just as strongly about our new abode in the stars.

Oh I found something interesting that I must have just read right over in the past...creating a bridge of sorts.
It is in Paper 37 Page 409 Part 3. Archangels
(409.3) 37:3.6 Two senior archangels are always assigned as the personal aids of a Paradise Avonal on all planetary missions, whether involving judicial actions, magisterial missions, or bestowal incarnations. When this Paradise Son has finished the judgment of a realm and the dead are called to record (the so-called resurrection), it is literally true that the seraphic guardians of the slumbering personalities respond to “the voice of the archangel.” The roll call of a dispensation termination is promulgated by an attendant archangel. This is the archangel of the resurrection, sometimes referred to as the “archangel of Michael.”
Is that not cool? 8) bridges...I love them!
((((((HUGS))))))
Sandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:oops: My current habit: read two Papers every three days (Paper 43 is next).
Not a great pattern of reading but has psychological value (keeps me "in the game") :roll:
:finger: "Change is on the way" ... if I hope to arrive in port as committed.

One way of promoting change is to avoid all distractions except those inspired by the UB: http://www.ptable.com/
This great online chart for study of the elements includes electrons-per-shell (column on right) and tempts a new study.

;) The UB's claim about maximum electrons is supported by the element descriptions after Es (element 99) since subsequent elements are described as "synthetic": "it has never been possible naturally to assemble over one hundred orbital electrons in one atomic system" (42:7.7)

:idea: Interestingly, the 100/100 ultimatons/electrons pattern hints that the breakup force of ultimatons applies to electrons in a predictable, measurable way: "Mutual attraction holds one hundred ultimatons together in the constitution of the electron; and there are never more nor less than one hundred ultimatons in a typical electron" (42:6.5)

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Rod,
I had a feeling you would do a lot better with the highly scientific papers then I did. :) (Papers 41 and 42) In the end, I just read to say I read them :oops: and figure I will make a note and go back after March and study them slowly and in great detail making diagrams and notes as I am a much better visual learner, especially when the context is rather foreign to my usual haunts.

I think we will all arrive in port together even though it might entail towards the end some all night Urantia Book marathons, reminiscent of the night before a High School term thesis was due. LOL What a little procrastinator I was (am) :mrgreen:
Trying to ride the waves!
xxSandy
Amigoo
Family

Post by Amigoo »

:hithere Thanks for the comments about Papers 41 and 42, Sandy!

I thought that something was wrong with my audio files!
I was certain that some paragraphs were reverse speech.

Rod