Lights Out.

Use this forum to ask or post about 11:11, 12:34, 2:22, 22:22 etc. The wake-up digital clock signals of our loving celestial friends. They also delight in flicking on or off street lights, traffic lights and ringing door bells.
inlikeflint
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Lights Out.

Post by inlikeflint »

So, I am in my local Habitat for Humanity outlet store looking for fixtures to fix my building up on the cheap... and the flickering lights from a fluorescent bulb above is annoying me and making my eyes feel funny. I walk under the fixture and the light goes completely out. ...and then I just smile and continue looking for my things that are waiting for me.

Today, I picked up a brand new never been drooled in wall mount bathroom sink, an art deco period porcelain toilet paper dispenser, and a used mirror that meets the exact dimensions of the wall I am installing it on. ($45.06).

It's been a good day,
and I am grateful for this.
:cat:
theunim
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Re: Lights Out.

Post by theunim »

Very nice finds! And might I say, a great choice of location for your shopping? :) I like how you had been in the right places at the right times.

Love,
Theunim
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

— Rumi

The pure love of one soul can offset the hatred of millions. ~ Gandhi
CityLight
Old Friend

Post by CityLight »

Hello All, :hithere

I like this story, (Thumbs up)
Good Luck with your new sink!
Love, Daron
I was a seed once planted long ago, nurtured and showered with the Love of others. I now sprout to feed those who gave that Love...and return the favor, tenfold.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I have been receiving Sharmon's 06 all morning and now again with your post, Flint. :D It sounds like you made out like a bandit and got some great deals. Well done! :sunflower:
I didn't know Habitat for Humanities also had outlet stores. 8) My Dad was once active with them, helping to build one home after another in his area.
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

Long time no see Theunim!
Good to see you posting again!!!

Nice to meet you Daron!

Hey Sandy,
The place I go to is called The "Re-Store." It is like the ultimate home remodeling construction place with all used, damaged, obsolete, mismatched stuff. Anyway, Habitat for Humanity is who owns and runs it and people donate most of the stuff to keep it from going to the dump. They have furniture, appliances, and everything to build a place other than raw materials like 2"x4"'s, drywall, roofing shingles... (At least I have not seen these things yet.) Most of what they have is old and retro, but you never know what you are going to find. Sometimes they have restaurant grade dishes and cutlery, and other times there are rooms full of ceiling fans. (This is what makes it fun to go hunting for things.) My art deco toilet paper dispenser is so old (1920's/30's) that I have to modify a newer TP roll cylinder to make it functional. "It's my toilet paper roll holder hack..." (I should make a video for Youtube.)

The downside to all of my finds are that I have to spend money on all the hardware to install my great finds. However, I think I am still getting a good deal and I am supporting a good group with a good cause, and I am keeping stuff out of the landfill.

I am trying to be almost open/finished building by the end of next week.
It may happen.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That sounds like my kind of store, Flint! :hithere ... and it is important I think to change our mindset and reuse and fix rather than dispose of perfectly acceptable materials. We have become a "throw away" society and that needs to change or our children and grandchildren's grandchildren will be living in a landfill. :shock:
I know that getting your building operational has been a lot of work. It will be nice to see the fruits of your labor as you open the doors. :sunflower: I am hoping for much artistic success! :sunflower:
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
ChrisD
New Friend

Post by ChrisD »

I never even considered lights going out as a message until I started reading posts here. I have had one street light simply go out on me (while all others stayed on) in many cities and on many streets for years and never paid any attention to it, figuring it was just a faulty street light.

Wow. Very interesting.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Chris,
Welcome, nice to have you onboard. :hithere After reading your first posts, It certainly sounds as if our 11:11 "friends" have been busy in your life in multiple ways as they reach out for your attention. Its all good. :D
Love,
Sandy
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

It gets to be expensive when your CFL lamps are burning out right after you install them.

Welcome to the forum!

I have experienced the street light thing too. I always thought it was my car's headlamps turning them off. Then one evening when I was without a car...

~*Star_Struck*~
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by ~*Star_Struck*~ »

This same thing has happened to me, i have a friend who also has seen the numbers for many years, and on the occasions we'd walk together somewhere the streetlights seem to be going crazy. Not so much when im alone, but with him its just amazing.
Welcome Chris :hithere

Love
Star
Now i know the answer to the question:
Do dreams come true?
Still staring at the world
Through my rear view.
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

The power went out in my house today as I was opening up my door to leave my room. It turned off and then right back on. It reset my clock that I have yet to reset...

I remember when I was about 4 years old, I crawled behind the couch (I was real small) and I had touched the electrical socket in my house. It buzzed my whole arm/body and it was such a weird sensation that I had to do it again. My grandparents were watching me while my parents were out and I could hear my grandmother say, "what was that?" I had made the lights dim in the house for a spit second. (I should probably be deceased.)

Putting my tongue on a fresh 9-volt battery was one of my favorite things to do to entertain myself. I'm not even remotely sure why I would do these things.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Flint wrote:
I remember when I was about 4 years old, I crawled behind the couch (I was real small) and I had touched the electrical socket in my house. It buzzed my whole arm/body and it was such a weird sensation that I had to do it again. My grandparents were watching me while my parents were out and I could hear my grandmother say, "what was that?" I had made the lights dim in the house for a spit second. (I should probably be deceased.)
Isn't that sort of how it begins with the comic book super heros? :mrgreen: Maybe you are a super hero in the making, Flint. :batman: well at any rate, you're super, eh? :thumright:
Love,
Sandy
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

The same tree in my front yard has been struck by lightning twice.
This is the one that is growing.
Maybe I should sell pieces wood from the tree on e-bay.
Then I would be super rich. (For a day or so.)

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Maybe I should sell pieces wood from the tree on e-bay.
Then I would be super rich. (For a day or so.)
That would be "super!" :mrgreen: ;)

I don't know how some trees seem to be able to withstand the damage that a lightening strike produces while others are destroyed. Maybe it has something to do with the sap. There are lots of Eucalyptus trees here and they are extremely flammable because of their sap...In hot weather the sap evaporates out through their leaves and even the vapours can cause problems in wild fires igniting and making a bad situation even worse. :shock: I have always loved the smell of Eucalyptus oil, though. :)
Love,
Sandy
jack6251
Family

Post by jack6251 »

Hullo :)

I remember when I was a kid, there's an area where I used to live called The Rookeries, which is basically a half mile long rural mud path of tree's, a very nice area to walk. One day we had a violent lightning storm and one tree was hit, it pretty much exploded into two pieces. I've never gone near a tree since that when it's lightning and have read after that, that it's best to just crouch down as small as you can when it's lightning over head as the more pointy something is where you are, the more likely it'll get hit by lightning as the guider and feeder lines create lightning paths into the sky easier.

Where I live in Wakefield, we seem to get some beautiful lightning in this area for some reason. No trees hit though. :sunflower:

Jack :pig:
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Jack :pig:
I've heard something similar about crouching and making yourself as small as possible rather than take shelter under a tree. I guess if you are in a forest to begin with it would be hit and miss. :shock:
I have a little lightening story. This happened years and years ago. Me, my children, my parents and my little nephew who was no more than 3 at the time were out fishing in my Dad's old faithful aluminum fishing boat. My dad more often then not would follow the fish further and further from the boat ramp and the safety of the docks and car as the day wore on especially if the fish were biting, staying out just a little longer than might be wise and forgetting the length and time to get back to the docks. It was on this summer day and we were a fair piece from the ramp, when a sudden thunder storm formed and before we knew it, we found ourselves in the thick of some of the scariest lightening I have ever seen. Dad quickly estimated our options and figured we would be better off on the bank and off the water and the fishing boat. So as quickly as we could we all scrambled ashore and found ourselves in a thick pine forest. When we were far enough away from the water and boat dad insisted we all lay as flat as we could on the ground and so that is how we rode out this particular storm. Face up in one of the coldest rains I can ever remember. My little nephew couldn't understand why. He repeated over and over again, "I DON"T WANT TO LIE IN THE WOODS IN THE RAIN!!!" as if this were just a fun activity we all embarked on. :lol: Bless his little heart. We were all a mess, coated in pine needles and soaked to the skin...but thankful to be alive.
To this day I am a little leary of thunder storms and run for cover like a scared rabbit with the first sign of trouble.
Love,
Sandy :albino:
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

I like the rabbit...

The Osage Orange tree is pretty dense. It is supposed to be harder than oak. The lightning probably gave it another 200 years of life. The lightning threw dirt up onto the house and cars and most of the electrical things in the house had to be replaced. There were a couple branches that were all over the place. We have fence posts made out of it that have been in the ground since the late 1800's that hold up barbed wire fences and they are still standing. It's a tough wood.

I don't think I would have wanted to be anywhere near the tree when it was struck. Standing,crouching, laying... that lightning is some powerful stuff. You guys are totally lucky with the laying on the ground and not getting struck!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Wow, Flint :cat: that Osage orange tree in your yard has been through a lot. I am so glad it has survived the harm those awful humans did to it last year! grrrrrr I'm still fuming about that! (yes, I need to learn to let go and lighten up :lol: ) I still chuckle when I think of this dear sweet elderly lady I worked for years ago...She loved trees and one day when recounting what she had seen workers do to a group of trees that she was particularly fond of she spat out, "There's a place reserved in hell for someone who does that to a tree!" :lol:
Love,
Sandy :elephant:
(with my long memory regarding abuse and my chocolate intake, the elephant is more applicable today. ;) :lol: )
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

It's not the same one... it's the one right next to it, but it is close enough.

I agree with the sentiments of the elderly lady!!!

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

You and my dear Marie are of kindred spirits, Flint. She would love and appreciate the work, both artistic and horticultural (not sure that's a word :roll: ) that you do. :)

I wonder if the two Osage Orange trees draw real strength from each other making it possible to overcome lightening strikes and thoughtless ignorant human intervention? (silly thought I know...but...maybe????) Still it helps to have really dense wood that is downright impervious to insect infestations. ;)
Love,
Sandy
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

The trees are tough. that is for sure.
I have trimmed off poison ivy that has been growing on the tree for a while... a few years unnoticed. (I did this yesterday.)
It's too far up in the tree for me to get it all. Maybe it will eventually fall out.

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Whoa..poison Ivy! :shock: I remember once pulling poison oak from my dad's tree. It was a lovely thick vine...been there for ages. I didn't ask him first and never suspected it was sinister in composition. I was a mess afterwards. :( With your knowledge of plants though, I am sure you wore appropriate protection from the poisonous leaves. :finger: (keeping in mind that anything that touched the leaves can spread the oil. ;) )
Love,
Sandy
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

I had a large plastic compost bag that I used to pull some of the vine off the tree.
I used a lime to clean my blades of my loppers off (It works on hot peppers, so I am guessing it would remove any oil on the blades.)

One of the unorthodox ways of getting rid of the vine is to find where it roots and wait for a hot dry day. Then pour gasoline on it. (It kills it for sure, but it also kills lots of other things too.)
Another great weed killer is white wine vinegar. Once again, you have to wait for a hot & dry day... (the kind where it looks like you need to water.) use a half and half mixture of 1 part water, and 1 part vinegar... (and one ounce of orange oil.) It works just as good as any pesticide. but it doesn't hurt kitties and doggies that walk through where you have sprayed when they lick their paws off to clean themselves.

Poison ivy is not my favorite plant. I am sure there is something important about the plant, but I have yet to discover what it is.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

There are some good tips there, Flint. Thanks! As far as I know there is no poison Ivy here...think they have some form of stinging nettle but I haven't come up against it. Of course there are lots of poisonous spiders and snakes. (Oh gee now I am hear that song in my head.."I don't like spiders and snakes." by Jim Stafford :lol: ) To be honest, I actually like spiders and snakes. They are a gardener's friend. As long as you don't step on them. :shock:
Love,
Sandy
jack6251
Family

Light still on...after 110 years

Post by jack6251 »

Hulloo :)

Thought I'd post this little tale about a 110 year old lightbulb that is still on, amazing! I've come across this a few times over the years and thought it'd be good to post here since this is a light oriented thread, here's the link to the story:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 1HIJB1.DTL

Jack :pig: