Spirituality, Art & Innocence — by Michael Leunig

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

In a world that seems determined to go faster and faster each day; at breakneck speed for no reasons other than greed and fear, it is interesting and wise to wonder in the traditional way if our world is going mad and falling apart like never before – and that we are all caught up in this peculiar disintegration.

Nothing can be loved at speed, and I think we might be looking at the loss of love in the world due to the increased velocity of ordinary life; the loss of care, skill and attention enough to ensure the health and happiness of each other and the planet earth. It is a baffling problem and governments seem unable to recognize it, or do much about it at present.

To put it as a bleak modern metaphor, there may be moments when we feel we are all aboard an airliner being flown into a mountainside by the unstoppable forces of an incomprehensible madness. Now seems like a good time to talk about spirituality, art and innocence.

Why do I choose to put together this wonderful holy trinity of spirituality, art and innocence? Why do I feel so mystified, yet so at home and secure with these three ideas? Why the need to try and illuminate my ever deepening ideas about them, and yet enjoy watching them disappear beneath the depths of understanding or into the cloud of unknowing?

The simple truth is that I believe these things are treasures that matter hugely to the health of the individual and society - and because of man's influence on the environment, these things matter to the entire ecosystem. I will address each of the three quite separately in terms of what they mean to me, and what has become of them in the modern world. Though I may describe them separately, they are in fact connected to the point of being aspects of the same concern. They are a vital part of the ecosystem - which in earlier times was thought of as the soul - and this may well be an ecosystem under such enormous strain that it is causing the world to become deeply unwell.

https://www.leunig.com.au/spirituality-art-innocence

:loves KNOK :loves
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Spirituality, Art & Innocence — by Michael Leunig

Post by happyrain »

I'm happy Sandy bumped another post of yours, seems I cruise right over the Miscellaneous section sometimes. 14 actually brought me here... And man this is a good one. Hope you don't mind my sharing it elsewhere! I couldn't agree more... We're moving so fast. And people think we aren't going fast enough? Yikes!
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity