Between Gift And Privilege — by Jonathan Harris

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

I’ve been wondering: What makes something a gift? What is the difference between a gift and a privilege? What does it mean to be gifted? How can we help one another discover and develop our gifts? What would it mean to live in a gifted society?

To understand the essence of gift, it may be helpful to explore the shamanic notion of “medicine.” In various shamanic traditions, the word medicine is used to describe the unique combination of qualities that a particular living thing embodies. For instance, the medicine of a tree is the way it offers shade and shelter; the way it models the beauty that can arise from being rooted in a single place over time; the way it teaches flexibility: changing with the seasons, and bending without breaking in the breeze. Together, this combination of qualities constitutes what is known as tree medicine. By sharing tree medicine with non-trees, trees assume their unique identity as “trees” in the world. In the shamanic understanding, this is how everything works: rivers, eagles, roses, whales, forests, spiders, cliffs — each living thing embodying a unique combination of gifts, which are collectively known as its medicine.

https://www.awakin.org/v2/read/view.php ... o&tid=2545

Sandy
Staff

Re: Between Gift And Privilege — by Jonathan Harris

Post by Sandy »

Thank you Welles.
This last bit...makes me wonder how much more satisfied and even peaceful the world would be if such a thing was the way of it.
What if “identity politics” were re-imagined to focus less on external privilege, and more on internal gifts? Perhaps we could develop a system for supporting young people in identifying their own unique gifts, without being seduced by the shoulds of other people’s storylines.
some day... :)
:loves
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Re: Between Gift And Privilege — by Jonathan Harris

Post by Welles »

Hi Sandy,

I've had a few issues lately keeping me elsewhere but the whole thing of identity politics is fostered by those who would build contention into the world for their purposes that I would generally put in the evil category. Identity politics can't exist when people are creating and using their divine resources as the basis of doing so. The fascination of every person's different manifestation of beauty, truth and goodness is so entrancing that you don't need any reason for a presumption of dominance.

:hithere :bana: :roll :sunflower: :loves