Ancient hunter-gatherer seashell resonates after 17,000 years — by Jonathan Amos

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Ancient hunter-gatherer seashell resonates after 17,000 years — by Jonathan Amos

Post by Welles »

Archaeologists have managed to get near-perfect notes out of a musical instrument that's more than 17,000 years old.

It's a conch shell that was found in a hunter-gatherer cave in southern France.

The artefact is the oldest known wind instrument of its type. To date, only bone flutes can claim a deeper heritage.

Its significance lies in the dot-like markings inside the shell.

These match the artwork on the walls of the Marsoulas cave in the Pyrenees where the artefact was unearthed in 1931.

"This establishes a strong link between the music played with the conch and the images, the representations, on the walls," explained Gilles Tosello from the University of Toulouse. "To our knowledge this is the first time we can put in evidence a relationship between music and cave art in European pre-history."
The article I'm linking also shares some sound files of the shell instrument.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-56017967

WHIST
sammy

Re: Ancient hunter-gatherer seashell resonates after 17,000 years — by Jonathan Amos

Post by sammy »

Welles! That is SO COOL!!!
:loves

LOVE!!!!
Sammy
Love is a daily decision ~ Mom & Daddy John
Sandy
Staff

Re: Ancient hunter-gatherer seashell resonates after 17,000 years — by Jonathan Amos

Post by Sandy »

17,000 years old...Wow! Bzutu could have blown notes through it for all we know.
Aren't the shells beautiful!
I wish I'd look that good in 17000 years. :)
Thank you, Welles. :sunflower:

xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.