Training the Neglected Heart — by Mathiew Loisel

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

I absolutely loved this article and am going to write to the author.
What do you see when you look into a dog’s eyes?

When most people think about prison, dogs are probably the last thing they think about, let alone expect to be inside of it. About a year and a half ago, I received the opportunity to join a dog program called, “K9 Corrections,” inside of the Maine State Prison. At the time of joining the program, I had been incarcerated for eleven years.

I decided to join the program for several reasons. For starters, from an early age I have always loved animals. Animals have always provided me comfort and I have usually gravitated towards animals who needed the most TLC. Maybe this is because, when I look back into the eyes of a scared and fearful dog, I see myself staring back. When I look at a dog who is petrified, cowering in fear, I see the trauma and suffering I endured at an early age.

The main purpose of K9 Corrections is to provide dogs with the necessary training that will make them adoptable.

Many of the dogs that come through the program of K9 Corrections, in one way or another have problems that need correcting. These issues can include anything from aggression, a lack of socialization and fear, to counterconditioning and the need for basic obedience training. But nothing is as challenging, emotionally and mentally, as watching our trainer, walk into our prison pod with a dog that is trembling from his/her ears to his/her tail.

Nothing is more heart-wrenching than experiencing a dog who is paralyzed by fear, unable to recognize that hand reaching for it upon arrival into the program, is a hand that only wants to love it and stroke away all the pain and suffering that makes it tremble.

https://www.positivelypositive.com/2020 ... ted-heart/