Inclining Toward Freedom, Even Through Imperfections — by Larry Yang

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

If we focus only on awakening, we miss most of the spiritual practice. I’m much more interested in how we practice with not awakening, with not being enlightened, because, frankly, those states of being are more present in my life than not.

Lately, as I strive to promote diversity and anti-racism both inside and outside of dharma communities, I’m finding new depths of disappointment and disillusionment at the limitations of my own capacities, at the imperfections of our communities, and at the harm occurring in our larger culture. We don’t live in an enlightened world—have you noticed? As a dharma teacher, I was trained to teach the insights and kindnesses that I have felt. However, these days I feel propelled to teach from where I am—to be real and authentic in the moment, in the midst of places where I do not have answers, and from the limitations of my own flaws.

https://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?op=audio&tid=2420
Sandy
Staff

Re: Inclining Toward Freedom, Even Through Imperfections — by Larry Yang

Post by Sandy »

Thank you for sharing this, Welles. It helps and certainly deserves several reads and contemplation and application. :D
I hope you are well. George and I think of you often.

:loves
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Hi Sandy,

I'm just fine. I've recently finished building two dog futons. Here's a shop pic and an 'action' pic.

Prior to those I finished a lovely little table. My PiTable is smallish but massive. Weighs in at about 150#s. The glass top is 1/2 thick low iron glass 32" x 32". Low iron eliminates the green tint regular glass has. Here's a front view and a top view.

As to other work I'm busy on my forum work to promote the concept of "A Personal Religion".

https://www.theoreticsinstitute.org/for ... l-Religion

Life is just ducky here at the end of the world! A new one is on the way. Light and Life! Yay.

Image Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Welles,
It is so good to know you are well.

:lol: I'd say from the pics that your dog futon was a great success! Is that you Labrador? She makes me homesick for my dog who has passed on many years now. We never forget our lovies.

I'd also forgotten that amazing human bed you made that shows itself in one of the photos. Wow!

Thanks for posting a link to your light working endeavours for us to explore. It is an honour to share this mortal time with you.
Light and Life here we come!
hugs,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Seeker13 »

Welles,
The author of this article really has a special way with words. I especially like this part:

"It may seem counterintuitive, but when we practice awareness and offer kindness to the uncooked, imperfect aspects of our lives, we actually strengthen our mindfulness. We don’t need to attach to either awakening or non-awakening; neither is anything more than an experience to hold with tender awareness.

Awakening and not awakening are two sides of the same coin. They are the same experience. We can’t experience awakening without experiencing not awakening. We can’t experience insight without becoming intimately familiar with our conditioned patterns. [...]"

And I never knew you were such a talented craftsman! But I guess the expression of glee emitting from the dog is a testament to that!

Kim
And Spirit whispered, "There are no limits."

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.