Why We Listen Better To Strangers Than Family — by Kate Murphy

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

Once you know people well enough to feel close, there’s an unconscious tendency to tune them out because you think you already know what they are going to say. It’s kind of like when you’ve traveled a certain route several times and no longer notice signposts and scenery.

But people are always changing. The sum of daily interactions and activities continually shapes us, so none of us are the same as we were last month, last week or even yesterday.

The closeness-communication bias is at work when romantic partners feel they don’t know each other anymore or when parents discover their children are up to things they never imagined.

It can occur even when two people spend all their time together and have many of the same experiences.

Social science researchers have repeatedly demonstrated that people often understood close relationships no better than strangers, and often worse.

https://www.awakin.org/read/view.php?op=audio&tid=2415
happyrain
Family

Re: Why We Listen Better To Strangers Than Family — by Kate Murphy

Post by happyrain »

Thanks Welles, I will remind myself to listen to the family. If you can make peace in the home, you can find peace anywhere. :loves
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Re: Why We Listen Better To Strangers Than Family — by Kate Murphy

Post by Sandy »

Thank you, Welles.
This really gave me something to think about.
But what is love if not a willingness to listen to and be a part of another person’s evolving story? A lack of listening is a primary contributor to feelings of loneliness.
:loves
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.