Spiritual Amnesia

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Spiritual Amnesia

Post by happyrain »

Hello :hithere

I was just curious if anyone is familiar and has any insights to this topic.
My concern is one day we find something worth striving for and in the process we forget about it completely or turn it off or put it on hold until we find ourselves wondering again and hoping to progress.

Why this amnesia?
:kiss: :study:
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Re: Spiritual Amnesia

Post by Sandy »

Hey Eric,

I had never heard this term before so I googled it and found many items on this topic in relation to a christian background.

I do not for one moment believe though that spiritual amnesia is singly related to one group of beliefs as this topic seems to effect all of us at one time or another. Many of the articles I just researched spoke of the "dumbfoundedness" felt when reading the Bible and seeing the Isaraelites forget again and again the many and sometimes mighty things God had done for them... and as I wrote the last bit of the sentence I realise how guilty I am of the very same thing. LOL Why do we do it? forget? Well, I can't speak for everyone, so from my own personal experience... I suppose it boils down to life gets confused and complicated. As humans it is so easy to fall back on what we know... old habits, something comforting of a physical nature. Of course the physical nature kind of comforting is rather fleeting and we must come to the "well" repeatedly to feel any kind of comfort. Thus forming habits of the "not so helpful kind". But it is right there in front of us easily accessed with no strings attached. We know better but.... (there come all our individualised excuses. ;) :) ) And then ...often times remorse and guilt even shame jumps into the mental picture and then oh boy... our spiritual memory can become even more cloudy.

So I m thinking that drawing close to the Source, the Creator, Goddess or God, however we envisage the Awesomeness, as often as we can is our first line of defence from spiritual amnesia. And then too, perhaps it is wise not to dwell too long on what we haven't done or remembered, (past is gone after all ;) and simply say, "Today is a new day to make memories with God!" :bana: (no shame or finger wagging here, eh? ) Let's just be and do and try our best and try again when we fail and fall. I think a a proactive approach will always work best. But if we fail even in that...we are human after all and quickly forgiven of our spiritual apathy.

So off we go... a new day has begun.... how shall we spend it? :sunny: :cheers:
Hugs,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

I'd say it is a normal component of the classic progress model of two steps forward and one step back. Spiritual advances require incremental change. That means lots of repetition until a particular lesson becomes a part of us. So we have moments of conscious recognition of given lessons periodically. They become less intense as the change is realized.

Image Welles
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Thanks both for the wonderful contribution and moment for introspection. Sandy, I didn't know it was a thing to be found on Google- just trying to piece together in fewer words the momentary loss of ones greatest desires. I agree with both of you. To add to both of your comments here's a wonderful video I found last night that kind of sums up and validates my confusion/present struggles. I understand a little about habits and ebb and flow, the human factor of ego vs. soul and nature as a teacher. It seems the ego, which can be so easily disturbed, is often coddled by means of self-gratification which is contrary to the pursuit of the Ideal. These base-sense indulgences are wrongly associated with happiness when they often cost us our health and create a barrier between self and God. I understand we are all at different parts of our evolution and that purpose is unique to the individual, but that purpose is still ultimately sought out. :scratch: Hopefully I am not coming off as all the more confusing. Here, I hope you enjoy this video :lol:
https://youtu.be/WD92rXhJkCI
It may be that Life has a way of directing us back to the task at hand after what could be considered a much needed, "detour." :scratch:
My desire is to find peace in nothing, reside in Love and be ever mindful of the moment. There are times when we lose sight of these things. No, not beating myself up. Just getting your take on the reasons behind. Which I find myself agreeing with in both replies.
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity