The Parable of the Starfish — a traditional tale

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

The Parable of the Starfish — a traditional tale

Post by Welles »

One day, an old man was walking along a beach that was littered with thousands of starfish that had been washed ashore by the high tide. As he walked he came upon a young boy who was eagerly throwing the starfish back into the ocean, one by one.

Puzzled, the man looked at the boy and asked what he was doing. Without looking up from his task, the boy simply replied, “I’m saving these starfish.”

The old man chuckled aloud. “Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. What difference can you make?”

The boy picked up a starfish, gently tossed it into the water and turning to the man, said, “I made a difference to that one!”

Life presents us with an awful lot of beaches full of starfish, situations where solving the whole problem seems so far beyond our capabilities that it’s not worth it to even bother.

Yet, there’s always a piece we can do. There’s always a starfish we can throw back in the water.

I can’t solve child hunger, but I can put some items on the shelf at the local food pantry and make sure that some kid has supper tonight.

I can’t be a perfect parent all the time, but I can be a good parent right at this moment. Same for being a husband. Same for being a writer.

I can’t make everyone in the world like me, but I can be a good friend to this person right in front of me right now.

Focus on the starfish, not the beach.

Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: The Parable of the Starfish — a traditional tale

Post by Sandy »

Welles,
I was sitting here so frustrated as I contemplated the world and family problems. There' s so much need and yet I feel so utterly helpless... hamstrung... Your post came along just when I needed it and I know now what to do with this simple yet brilliant clarification:
Focus on the starfish, not the beach.
Somewhere along the way I forgot this...so easy to do I suppose in this tough "climate".

Thank you. :happy
Love, Love and More Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Seeker13
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Re: The Parable of the Starfish — a traditional tale

Post by Seeker13 »

Thank you Welles,
This touched a very deep cord in me. :loves

Kim
And Spirit whispered, "There are no limits."

We are akin to the aspen forests, seemingly separated but in actuality, one organism.