Uniform Corn-Rows In High-Tech Isolation — by Robin Wall Kimmerer

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

Robin Wall Kimmerer is one of my favorite authors.
My garden looks different. The word “symmetry” has no use here, where mounds of earth are shoveled up in patches. I’m planting the way I was taught, using a brilliant innovation generated by indigenous science: the Three Sisters polyculture. I plant each mound with three species, corn, beans, and squash—not willy-nilly, but just the right varieties at just the right time. This marvel of agricultural engineering yields more nutrition and more food from the same area as monocropping with less labor, which my tired shoulders appreciate. Unlike my neighbor’s monoculture, Three Sisters planting takes advantage of their complementary natures, so they don’t compete but instead cooperate. The corn provides a leafy ladder for the bean to climb, gaining access to more light and pollinators. In return, the bean fixes nitrogen, which feeds the demanding corn. The squash with its big leaves shades the soil, keeping it cool and moist while also suppressing weeds. This is a system that produces superior yield and nutrition and requires no herbicides, no added fertilizers, and no pesticides—and yet it is called primitive technology. I’ll take it.

http://www.awakin.org/read/audio.php?op=play&tid=2336

:sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower:
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Uniform Corn-Rows In High-Tech Isolation — by Robin Wall Kimmerer

Post by Sandy »

:sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower:

Love this.... I am so inspired as I look at my tiny garden with new regard. Thank you Welles... singing huh?...hmmm in my case, I am glad my beautiful little seeds do not have ears (yet ;) )

Thank you and (((((HUG)))))
xxSandy

If anyone would like to know the details of planting the three sisters method, here is a short synopses. https://www.almanac.com/content/three-s ... and-squash
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.