2/5/1927

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

2/5/1927

Post by happyrain »

i'd have liked to known or met this man...

Following a bout with pneumonia, Inayat Khan departed from this world on February 5, 1927, at the Tilak Lodge, located along the river Yamuna near Delhi, India. His burial tomb is in the Basti Nizamuddin neighborhood of Delhi. Inayat Khan described the essence of his spiritual message with the following words, which are offered here to commemorate his life and teachings:

Our sacred task is to awaken among those around us and among those whom we can reach in the first place the spirit of tolerance for the religion, scripture, and the ideal of devotion of one another; our next task is to make man understand people of different nations, races and communities, also of different classes.

By this we do not mean to say that all races and nations must become one, nor that all classes must become one; only what we have to say is that whatever be our religion, nation, race or class, our most sacred duty is to work for one another, in one another's interest, and to consider that as the service of God. ...

The central theme of the Sufi Message is one simple thing, and yet most difficult, and that is to bring about in the world the realization of the divinity of the human soul, which hitherto has been overlooked, for the reason that the time had not come.

The principal thing that the Message has to accomplish in this era is to create the realization of the divine spark in every soul, that every soul according to its progress may begin to realize for itself the spark of divinity within. This is the task that is before us.

Now you may ask, what is the Message? The Message is this: that the whole humanity is as one single body, and all nations and communities and races as the different organs, and the happiness and well-being of each of them is the happiness and well-being of the whole body. If there is one organ of the body in pain, the whole body has to sustain a share of the strain of it. That by this Message mankind may begin to think that his welfare and his well-being is not in looking after himself, but it is in looking after others, and when in all there will be reciprocity, love and goodness towards another, the better time will come.

~~~ "Addresses to Cherags", "Our Sacred Task", Hazrat Inayat Khan (unpublished)

The need of the world today is not learning, but how to become considerate towards one another. To try and find out in what way happiness can be brought about, and in this way to realize that peace which is the longing of every soul; and to impart it to others, thereby attaining our life's goal, the sublimity of life.
http://wahiduddin.net/mv2/X/X_5_1.htm
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Re: 2/5/1927

Post by Sandy »

That is without a doubt one of the best messages I have read. Thank you, Eric. I am sniffling ...it is so moving.
How I long for this...
Now you may ask, what is the Message? The Message is this: that the whole humanity is as one single body, and all nations and communities and races as the different organs, and the happiness and well-being of each of them is the happiness and well-being of the whole body. If there is one organ of the body in pain, the whole body has to sustain a share of the strain of it. That by this Message mankind may begin to think that his welfare and his well-being is not in looking after himself, but it is in looking after others, and when in all there will be reciprocity, love and goodness towards another, the better time will come.
xxSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

Perhaps this realization occurs eventually, once a soul desires to learn God- I don't know. I think Inayat Khans longing to experience more where Love had become his ideal provided him unique and profound experiences "foreign" to human kind propelling his journey to the West to spread his message. I read from wahiddudins website everyday... http://wahiduddin.net/ And have recently felt the ease to proclaim, I am Sufi among my friends. I learned this expression in a dream...
I admire your sincerity and and am amazed you feel such resonance... With practice I know these depths of feeling and more unique experiences are attainable. Too often my pursuits turn selfish but learning ways to tap into what I desire has made me less selfish and wishing to exude peace in my social circles... Thank you for reminding me to be Okay with the very human aspects of my life too. I was saddened to read he died of pneumonia on this day and wonder what his thoughts were as he began to fade...
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

My body is combatting another flu don’t mind my ramblings. I enjoy having the space to discuss and receive feedback... What I mean by selfish or losing this selfishness is that perhaps my aim should be to practice love where ideas of self, expectations of love and even these ponderings crumble. Nothing wrong with wanting more- ... Inayat Khan, from his writings, doesn’t seem afraid to die and I suppose in this evolution of understanding god or even pursuing ones ideals there are different modes of death... yet I am still terrified and cling to my ego and its interaction with the material... This is healthy and I accept that I still have many years of lessons with this life. I have experienced both attraction and repulsion when sharing with loved ones... perhaps the importance here is to enjoy when the love is reciprocated, free of any other form... inayat Khan has eloquently stated...
“Sayings of Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan

SURAS
(God speaking through the kindled soul)

Life is reality, death is its shadow; but as the shadow is seen and yet non-existent, so is death.

Death opens a door between life here and hereafter. Death is a silent voyage to the port of eternity.

Death is no more death to those who have once experienced its sting.

Death is but the turning of a page of life;
to the eyes of others it is death, but to those who die it is life.

http://wahiduddin.net/mv2/say/nirtan_suras.htm
In the midst of my struggles I am reminded of this saying...
“To err is human; to forgive, divine”

To prevent from posting again...I wanted to come back and add, you really have to shed or experience an egoic death to alleviate your suffering... and maybe so it is just a taste before a welcoming home(experiencing a purer form of the ideal I.e, love) once this body actually ceases...

Just rambling...
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

I'll echo Sandy's feeling, Eric. That is a wonderful message. Thank you! I love the Sufi perspective the more I'm introduced to it. That's partly your doing!

Image Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Eric,
I read from wahiddudins website everyday... http://wahiduddin.net/ And have recently felt the ease to proclaim, I am Sufi among my friends. I learned this expression in a dream...
I am thrilled for you. I remember Anne telling me once... "Just pick a direction and get going...LOL" You've just done that even though I think you have been "Sufi" for quite a few years now. ;) :D

xxSandy
That is a good website. I'll look into it... :thumright:

Hey and please feel better soon!
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

hi Sandy,
I sure do miss Annne, if you're talking about the same Anne I've got to interact with here. She was fun.
Sufism is interesting, it seems more approachable since most people don't take interest in the life of an ascetic whom may hide from the world in order to attain spiritual prowess. A line I've read today, "It is much easier to be religious, to be spiritual, in a cave of the mountains than in the world, but the Sufi has no need to run away from the world, for he has recognized and sees the face of his Beloved, the face of God, everywhere."
Sufism teaches us how to be free from worldly dependence yet remain subject to its experiences by means of servitude and renunciation.