What a Zen Monk taught me about Time. — by Jim Owens

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by Welles »

This article is really rumination on a Zen master's simple phrase that stimulated a poem. The poem is wonderful. The article is too. Here's some of the intro...

"Shunryū Suzuki, was a master of many things, not the least of which were meditation and calligraphy.

His teaching—sometimes simple, sometimes confusing, but always profound—has influenced me greatly. I have also admired the work of other remarkable men and women: the Nobel Peace Prize winning, Thich Nhất Hanh, the Trappist monk, Thomas Merton, and the Buddhist nun, Pema Chödron. In short, I walk in the shade of trees planted by those who came long before me.

The trees planted by Suzuki have borne fruit in ways I could not have expected. None more so than the phrase, “Do not say too late.“ It’s said to have been his only work of calligraphy English which, somehow, makes it all the more important.

It’s a remarkably simple phrase. But, it’s a phrase pregnant with hope, encouragement, and even comfort."

See? That line, "In short, I walk in the shade of trees planted by those who came long before me" was worth reading the article for me and that it merely helps introduce a wonderful poem.

https://www.elephantjournal.com/2017/07 ... bout-time/

Image Welles
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: What a Zen Monk taught me about Time. — by Jim Owens

Post by Sandy »

Thank you, Welles. That was a lovely article and poem. The poem has me thinking this morning...and touches something within that needs peace.
Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.