Give That Which is Organic to You: A Recipe to Avoid Burnout

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Give That Which is Organic to You: A Recipe to Avoid Burnout

Post by Welles »

"Years ago, I heard Dorothy Day speak. Founder of the Catholic Worker movement, her long-term commitment to living among the poor on New York's Lower East Side - had made her one of my heroes. So it came as a great shock when in the middle of her talk, I heard her start to ruminate about the "ungrateful poor."

I did not understand how such a dismissive phrase could come from the lips of a saint - until it hit me with the force of a Zen koan. Dorothy Day was saying, "Do not give to the poor expecting to get their gratitude so that you can feel good about yourself. If you do, your giving will be thin and short-lived, and that is not what the poor need; it will only impoverish them further. Give only if you have something you must give; give only if you are someone for whom giving is its own reward."

This is an important message on the nature of our hearts and egos (although those terms aren't used as a focal point). Also Parler Palmer is always worth reading!

Give That Which is Organic to You: A Recipe to Avoid Burnout — by Parker Palmer

http://www.dailygood.org/story/1626/giv ... er-palmer/

Image Welles
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Give That Which is Organic to You: A Recipe to Avoid Burnout

Post by Sandy »

Thank you, Welles! ... you've given me nurturing food for thought once again. :D
:loves
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.