Amazing tool called YouTube

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
I-AM
Family

Amazing tool called YouTube

Post by I-AM »

It is amazing what one can watch on YouTube.

True, 98% of videos are just "look at what my cat can do" or "crazy drivers in Russia" kind of videos. Or video clips made by popular pop/rock artists.

But among them, there are hidden jewels, all offered for free.

Recently, I've been drawn to the inner workings of a cell (a domain of Life Carriers). In this respect, YouTube now allows people all over the world to study for free just by watching online lectures given by university professors. Like this one, given by a Nobel prize winner from Australia, Elizabeth Blackburn, who discovered Telomerase, an enzyme responsible for maintaining telomeres (ends of DNA strands).

Just 20 years ago, in 1994, it would not be possible to have all this content available for free. I surely know what I will be doing when I retire. Watch videos on YouTube... :hithere

(Warning: Boring academic stuff full of special terms. Only watch when you have absolutely nothing else to do and after cleaning completely your house/apartment....... 8) )

For those who do not have time to watch. A summary: If you remove stress from your life, if you feel happy and enjoy a healthy, stress-free lifestyle, your telomeres are more likely to get regularly prolonged by telomerase, meaning you will live longer because your DNA will run out of telomeres much later... :bana:
happyrain
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Amazing tool called YouTube

Post by happyrain »

you...tube? i must look into this youtube.
:lol: I-AM you might also be interested in coursera https://www.coursera.org/
a nice collection for your toolbox

BTW.... We've been experiencing similar interest recently... Do you have netflix ?? I recommend a show called... Your inner fish with Niel Shubin. alternatively you can watch it online with a quick google search or even read the book online free
:hithere
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for both these jewels Robert and Eric. I must say this is a Godsend as just a couple of years ago I longed to order some university lectures on topics that I was interested in such as cosmology and biology, but they were too expensive. :bana:
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

happyrain wrote:you...tube? i must look into this youtube.
:lol: I-AM you might also be interested in coursera https://www.coursera.org/
a nice collection for your toolbox

BTW.... We've been experiencing similar interest recently... Do you have netflix ?? I recommend a show called... Your inner fish with Niel Shubin. alternatively you can watch it online with a quick google search or even read the book online free
:hithere
Tried the Coursera. Looks good but the "mitochondria" search resulted in nothing. I would really love to learn much more about how exactly mitochondria work to produce ATP. There is one good video on YouTube, worth watching:

I haven't got Netflix. Not available in our little country yet.

Just watching Your Inner Fish on YouTube. Posted by Adolf Einstein.... :hithere
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

Wow! I just became a university student again! This time at the Stanford Univesity, CA, USA.

This YouTube thing is amazing. You can watch lecturers given by university professors for free. And, most importantly, while drinking beer in the living room having no fear of the upcoming exams! :bana:

I opted to refresh my understanding of Einstein's theory of relativity and I am presently 2/3 into the second lecture, being able to follow the man and understand all the formulas he has written on the whiteboard.

Amazing! So much better than watching Discovery Channel. I mean, Morgan Freeman and his popular series is fine but, in the end, no specific information is ever provided to satisfy my thirst for knowledge.

Here is the second lecture on general theory relativity at Stanford I mentioned above:

(The actual lecture starts at 14:20.)
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Than you, Robert for reminding me about this...a little knowledge is a wonderful thing! :bana:
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

Sandy wrote:Than you, Robert for reminding me about this...a little knowledge is a wonderful thing! :bana:
love,
Sandy
Sandy, you would not believe all kinds of courses available online by the universities around the world. You name it. From sociology to agriculture... :hithere

For instance. Yale University. Sociology:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd33Bah ... 0D96AEB5E2
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

It's actually exciting isn't it? What we can learn in this manner. :sunflower:
hugs,
Sandy
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

I am beginning to like the professor very much. Just watching his Lecture 7 on Einstein's General Theory of Relativity and understanding about 90% of what is being said, after having to re-familiarize myself with a few definitions, such as contra-variant vectors, tensors etc.

Anyway, there is something going on with this man, Leonard Susskind. His is such a nice guy.

If you have nothing else to do, you may find this lecture by him quite interesting. It is intended for general public:

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for this Robert, I will try to watch it later on this evening if possible and if my computer band width holds out. since it is for the general public I should be able to keep up. :finger:
Unfortunately, once we get down to the end of our allotment, we don't have to pay more but the computers gets super slow and videos no longer play. We've got well over a week to go. :shock: hmm may be a long couple of weeks over here. :)
love,
Sandy