1967 GTO and other things left behind.

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
inlikeflint
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

1967 GTO and other things left behind.

Post by inlikeflint »

My stepdad liked cars and one of the cars he was trying to finish before he passed away was a 1967 Pontiac GTO with pro-street racing parts. when my stepdad found the car it already had over $70,000.00 spent on putting the car together. He ended up getting it for way less but he put in another $10K to $15K more into it to finish the car. For some reason he thought that if he finished the car he could sell the car and this would give my mom something to live on after he passed away... Anyway, he gave it a good shot and now i have to figure out how to sell this thing... (and two other cars.)

http://derexlist.blogspot.com/

I have to sell a 40th anniversary ZR1 corvette that lots of people want, but don't seem to want to pay the asking price for. The car is like 1 of 240 made, but for some reason this doesn't register with the random people it attracts. I have not advertised it yet... Which, reminds me that i still have to take pictures of that too.

So, my dilemma is that I have lots of neat things, I just need people to start buying my stuff. (Including my art work.)

So far, when I pray for people to come buy the cars, someone stops by and tries to get the Corvette on the cheap... So, I suppose it is in the works, but the people who are supposed to be here just have not arrived yet.

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, but i thought i would share the pictures that burned 8+ hours out of my life to pack, unpack, arrange , & pack back up again... (This is probably another reason i am currently stuck in town.)

Just sharing

:cat
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Re: 1967 GTO and other things left behind.

Post by Geoff »

Well I am a car nut, but I think I would baulk at taking that car on. Did it once, many many years ago. With finished paint and full bodywork and interior, you have a car to sell. Like that you just have parts to sell. But adding the paint, interior and body is probably more than $25k. Yeah that engine is superb, but its really a show car engine I think, or a drag strip engine.

Here is a beautiful ZR1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZPaZaXn68

They were asking $25,995 obo trade ins gladly considered financing available upon approval of credit. And its SOLD. Not sure how yours compares, or its price.

hugs
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

I've shown the GTO to a few people who rebuild cars for a living and they are saying pretty much what you posted. (I might turn it into an art car or something.) My target price was $25K for that & $30K for the vette... $5-6K for the El Camino. (Maybe less.)

Maybe i should figure out how to put the front end back on and then finish it in Sharpie marker or glitter. Do something insane that would get some attention. My thoughts were that if I didn't sell the car, that I would somehow pull the engine and make it like some sort of display in a gallery. The GTO has been block sanded but I know painting a car nowadays is really expensive.

One of the guys that looked at it started thinking about how much more money to put into it as opposed to the work that was already into it...

The ZR1 is identical to the one on the video you posted... We've had offers for $25k but we've been holding back. It has the engine Lotus developed (The 5.7 L (350 cu in) LT5 V8... 405hp... Which, was only built from 1993 to 1995 for the ZR1... The engine was used only in Corvettes, & 6939 were produced...) It's a collector car...

:cat:
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

inlikeflint wrote: One of the guys that looked at it started thinking about how much more money to put into it as opposed to the work that was already into it...
Well sadly that is exactly what you have to do. Consider what the best price you might get for it finished and what you need to put in. The history of these types of cars is that they cost twice what they are worth. Folks that build them often don't care what they cost. I had (and my son now has) a totally pristine 1974 BMW 2002 tii, and its so clean that we were never willing to do any serious mods. And 15 years later we might still get for it what its cost us. But make no mistake when I had to pay $10k to do the motor, I had put more into it than it was worth. And I used to win every concours.
inlikeflint wrote:The ZR1 is identical to the one on the video you posted... We've had offers for $25k but we've been holding back. It has the engine Lotus developed (The 5.7 L (350 cu in) LT5 V8... 405hp... Which, was only built from 1993 to 1995 for the ZR1... The engine was used only in Corvettes, & 6939 were produced...) It's a collector car...
That being the case you should try the Corvette car clubs. But you won't get any more than its worth, but you should get exactly what its worth.

hugs
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hope you get what you need from the cars Derek. It would be lovely to see your step dad's Pontiac GTO restored back to its original glory. ( I get sort of sentimental about cars.) :roll: But it sounds like that would be quite an investment in labor and materials.

You have me thinking of my very first car that I bought for 500 dollars back in 1978.
Here is one just like her... a 66 Bonneville.https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pict ... le&imgdii=_ (second row, third from the left.) That car got me through the worst winter I had ever experienced. LOL It was a tank but I loved her dearly. Can you really say that about a car without being materialistic? Hmmm probably not...sigh but I still have such fond memories of her.

Praying this all works out for you!!!! :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger: :finger:
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
inlikeflint
Family

Post by inlikeflint »

That being the case you should try the Corvette car clubs. But you won't get any more than its worth, but you should get exactly what its worth.
-My sentiments exactly!!! :D

Nice Bonneville Sandy!
I keep praying too. It will happen when the time is right. I'm hoping it will happen sooner than later.

I planted my garlic yesterday... I measured out one of my raised beds and place the garlic bulbs in as tight as the spacing would allow. I have more bulbs than places to plant them... I'm hoping this is an omen & that it will relate to other parts of my life in a positive way. :D

:cat:
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

My garden beds are ready but nothing has been planted yet. Right now our rabbit thinks they are two big ole sand boxes put there for his enjoyment. It is so much fun to watch him gloriously digging holes and leaping in the air in joy at doing something he loves that feels natural for him. He has so much fun, but pretty soon they will be off limits. Poor little guy. It would be almost worth it to make a little box just for him. (George says I spoil him. :shock: :lol: )
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.