Solar Roads

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Solar Roads

Post by Sandy »

Wow this is interesting... It could solve a lot of our energy problems and provide for a cleaner earth if the project can get off the ground.
http://www.sharedots.com/this-invention ... n-298.html
:loves
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
I-AM
Family

Re: Solar Roads

Post by I-AM »

Sandy,

Almost too good to be true... :hithere

Let's see how this develops. If those two prototype roads turn out to be a success, they will probably start mass producing the thing!

Robert
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

That is interesting. I can see it being used in small scale applications where the technology could be very worthwhile but it seemed to me that the complexity of the system would never be cost effective or practical for roads... but then I think the best energy saving device is for people to give up privately owned automobiles. :bike: Heresy!

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

My first thoughts too were that it seemed like it would have to be expensive, at least in the beginning and until enough panels were installed to create the kind of energy feed that can provide for our needs and cover the cost of providing them on more of the nation and world's roads. Yep, I bet the cost of producing them would be enormous! :shock: Upkeep, too, might be expensive as we have all seen the damage the tractor trailer trucks can do to the highways even on the best of seasons.

Well it is a very interesting concept and it is good to know that there are brilliant minds out there working on ideas to solve some of our most glaring problems.
but then I think the best energy saving device is for people to give up privately owned automobiles. :bike: Heresy!
:lol: Yeah, that might take some doing at this time. :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:

Love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
I-AM
Family

Post by I-AM »

Welles wrote:That is interesting. I can see it being used in small scale applications where the technology could be very worthwhile but it seemed to me that the complexity of the system would never be cost effective or practical for roads... but then I think the best energy saving device is for people to give up privately owned automobiles. :bike: Heresy!

Welles
I can already see the NYC folks installing it in Times Square, because they no longer have any space left without advertising on the buildings... Just the roads and pavements remain advertising free... :hithere

Petra Wilson
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by Petra Wilson »

My in-laws have installed solar panels on their roof and the electricity company EDF helped them.
What they don't use goes into the grid and they get a cheque every year for the amount they didn't
use, instead of a whopping bill!
I've been reading of so many young kids and young adults inventing renewable energy sources, it makes
one feel a little hope for the future since a very long time!
ॐ LOVE Petra
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Our next door neighbor's installed solar panels on their roof last year. I haven't asked them how it was going but for awhile the Australian government was offering rebates on the cost for some of the cost for the people who had them installed on their homes. another thing very popular here because of the relatively large amount of warm sunny days is solar water heaters on the roof. Of course our flat has none of the above, but maybe some day. :finger:
I've been reading of so many young kids and young adults inventing renewable energy sources, it makes
one feel a little hope for the future since a very long time!
Yeah I know what you mean. I am feeling rather more hopeful myself as of late.

My goodness, Robert! Look at that crazy place! (Time Square) I've never been there just seen it at New Years Eve. Looks like that would be a bit hard on the ole eyes doesn't it? Can you just imagine people driving and trying to read the roads? :shock:

:loves
Sandy
overmind

Post by overmind »

This may lead to smart sidewalks, but these cannot work for roads. The glass will quickly wear away and become both smooth and opaque (reducing energy output). Glass is slippery when dirty or wet. You can't have tiled roads because of differential loading loosening the tiles and rainwater seeping between them, creating erosion underneath. It will be very difficult to see the LED's in the daytime. These panels will not get hot enough to melt snow. Energy transport losses will mean that for any road surface that isn't near a point of use (e.g. a house), this technology will be useless. There is no way these panels will all survive the wintertime in a temperate area, and repairing these panels would cost far more than filling in potholes.

It would be much easier and cheaper just to install solar panels above parking spaces and/or by the side of the road.
Welles
Family

A Send Up of the Solar Roads pitch

Post by Welles »

This video cracked me up. I like technology sometimes but recognize that most of it is a style of the times with little durable value for humanity. The solar roads concept is terrible once reality is factored into the idea. Here is a beautiful video send up of the whole concept. It is both real and very funny.

:bike: :lol:

Solar FREAKIN Roadways!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H901KdXgHs4

Welles
Petra Wilson
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by Petra Wilson »

The British commentator sounds a lot like BBC's Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson.
Great video with some sound reasoning. I like the idea of solar panels
in car parks, especially here when you need to park in shade.
ॐ LOVE Petra