To Love At All — a quote from CS Lewis in cartoon form

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

To Love At All — a quote from CS Lewis in cartoon form

Post by Welles »

This ia a qoute from CS Lewis presented in cartoon form by Zen Pencils. I love ZP.

http://zenpencils.com/comic/103-c-s-lew ... ve-at-all/

Welles
LurkerAbyss
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Re: To Love At All — a quote from CS Lewis in cartoon form

Post by LurkerAbyss »

Wow..

Thank you so much for sharing that. That almost made me tear up.. it's really relevant to some issues I was going through lately, and also comes on the heels of a conversation with a dear friend from the board that was very much about that very subject.

Best wishes to you!

Love
Lucky
:loves
"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

Love is the Essence of the Universe
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

That was so good, Welles! You know, that is like the third time CS Lewis has come to my attention in the last couple days. Maybe I should do a bit of reading...following where my intuition leads me... curious. :scratch:
Thank you! :D
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
LurkerAbyss
Family

Post by LurkerAbyss »

(((((SANDY)))))

It is the same for me! I had barely even heard of CS Lewis and all of a sudden he has come up multiple times in different places over the last few days. Sounds like we both could use some reading. Care to be study mates? :lol:

Love
Lucky
:happy
"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness." - Dalai Lama

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Lucky...I love the baby blue or maybe we should call it sky blue! :D

Funny that you too are experiencing the CS Lewis...I must admit I am completely in the dark. I haven't even read the 'Chronicles of Narnia' or seen the movies. :oops:
Care to be study mates? :lol:
Sure thing! :)

Love,
Sandy Image
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
LurkerAbyss
Family

Post by LurkerAbyss »

Thanks sweet Sunny :) I'm glad the new colour scheme flies. I am not really sure exactly what inspired that, pretty spur of the moment.. I guess I just feel different lately, like fresh or something.. you know? So I thought I'd switch it up. And hey, maybe this one is easier on the eyes? Honestly I always wondered about that with my posts! I have to admit though, it's hard to abandon the pink because it is so much my favourite colour, but then, I love all the colours! No, don't worry, I won't be randomly busting out any bright yellow or something one day! :lol:

Um, yeah, so there's something new… I didn't even know that CS Lewis was the person who did The Chronicles of Narnia. How awesome though that we both seem to be 'prompted' in that direction at the same time?

Love
Lucky

Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

ahh Lucky...I always liked your Pink too. So you switch back and forth whenever you want... :thumright: I must say though, yellow would be dern impossible to read even though I do love the color yellow. How can one not appreciate a color that to our eyes so depicts the color of our life giving sun? Warmth and comfort....
(((((((HUGS)))))))
Sandy :sunny:
Yep...hard to read, huh?
LurkerAbyss
Family

Post by LurkerAbyss »

I will say this about yellow, it has seriously got to be the most underrated color out there! Even orange probably gets its chance once in awhile.

But imagine if we all posted in bright sunny colours yeah?

Ow, no, let's not! Still lots of love for that wonderful sun out there though. Also, just a random thought.. is it noticeable that I have the letter u in words like colour and favourite? To me, the American way of spelling looks natural, but I feel like the other way around would look strange to one who uses American English. Honestly? I far prefer the American version. That u doesn't serve a purpose anymore phonetically and it also makes words like honour and colour look really clunky! In fact, as much as I'd like to just use the American spelling myself, it always autocorrects it to Canadian/UK so I can't be bothered to go back and fix it every time. Wow, there's your random thought for the day.

Love
Lucky

Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

CS Lewis is a wonderful writer who expereinced a 'thoughtful conversion' from atheism to an original Christian perspective. His imagination and eloquence allowed him to expand on Christian doctrines without becoming dogmatic. As a result he became sort of a thinking man's Evangelical without resorting to priggery. My favorite book would be The Screwtape Letters.

"In The Screwtape Letters, C.S. Lewis provides a series of lessons in the importance of taking a deliberate role in living out Christian faith by portraying a typical human life, with all its temptations and failings, as seen from devils' viewpoints. Screwtape holds an administrative post in the bureaucracy ("Lowerarchy") of Hell, and acts as a mentor to Wormwood, the inexperienced tempter. In the body of the thirty-one letters which make up the book, Screwtape gives Wormwood detailed advice on various methods of undermining faith and promoting sin in the Patient, interspersed with observations on human nature and Christian doctrine. Wormwood and Screwtape live in a peculiarly morally reversed world, where individual benefit and greed are seen as the greatest good, and neither demon is capable of comprehending God's love for man or acknowledging true human virtue when he sees it." — From Wikipedia

Here is another link to quotations from perhaps his best theological work, Mere Christianity. It provides 184 quotes from that book and you can get an idea of his style of expression from them. It is obvious that he truly experienced a profound spiritual awakening and is speaking from experience. That is why his work is so compelling and will find readers for a long time to come.
http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/80 ... ristianity

Welles

PS I like the blue, too, Lucky. It is a nice change. Legible too! :)
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thank you for the information Welles.... I loved this quote from the URL you provided above... http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/80 ... ristianity
“Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on; you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make any sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were being made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself.”
― C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
God certainly has his hands full making His/His "palace" from my own "dusty little shack." I think HE/She may want to hire an outside contractor. :lol: :oops:
Sandy
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

There were two derivative works inspired by the Zen Pencils' To Love At All cartoon.

Eric & Armi Pre-wedding concept video

http://vimeo.com/75183433

Valentine’s Styled Shoot

http://moriahriona.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... led-shoot/

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

What lovely artistic illustrations embellishing the cartoon illustration of CS Lewis's writing. I am still hearing the music from the video in my head... not such a bad way to go about my day. ;) :) Thanks Welles!
Love,
Sandy