Talking in Tongues

If you can't find a more relevant forum, use this one!
RunningScroll
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Talking in Tongues

Post by RunningScroll »

Hi Everyone, long time no visit.

I hope you are all well!

I've been attending a revival fellowship church, and this has been a very valuable experience, the energy and the company.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the phenomena of talking in tongues?

Does anyone have any idea what's really going on here? I've experienced it in myself, and it's quite a liberating experience.

God bless,
Dylan
Sandy
Staff
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Talking in Tongues

Post by Sandy »

Hi Dylan,
When I was in High School we had a wonderful young charismatic man give a talk at our school. He, being the guest evangelist for a revival being held in town, invited the students to attend the nightly prayer meetings. It was an amazing time at my school as nearly everyone attended the revival, whether Baptist or not, and for a few weeks our school experienced a wonderful and loving change. From this experience a Saturday night group was formed called "Reach Out" that carried on for several years. It was in this group that I was first introduced to speaking in tongues...which at that time made me rather uncomfortable for some obscure reason. :) :roll:

I had friends who spontaneously spoke in tongue when spirit moved them and for awhile I felt and even was made to feel less then adequate because I was not.
This limited my spiritual progress a little bit as you can imagine and I think it also hampered the group's growth as new members were scared and a little put off by this. Eventually the group faded as the members moved out of state, on to college, jobs etc... so without new growth there was no one to hold the torch or pass it on.

I think more understanding of such things would have been helpful to us back then... but for those who experienced it I think they felt as you do that it was very liberating. :D I do not know exactly what it is... perhaps one is so overcome with spiritual energy, that it must be released in some way or form. Perhaps it is language of spirit, or perhaps it is a gentle madness of a sort that arrives upon great spiritual excitement... I just don't know.????? But it does seem to be beneficial to those who practice and experience this phenomenon. :)

But I must say a small cautionary word of warning... I do know that holding on to this extreme spiritual energy without grounding out afterwards can be a little harmful to some folk as one must always return and function in the real physical world.This can happen as well to people who experience "enlightenment" as they sometimes can be a little "off balance" for a time afterwards.
And just as with meditation, if one suffers mental and emotional troubles it might be best to consult a qualified doctor before participating... These things can make, for instance, Schizophrenia even worse.

It's great to see you again Dylan...lovely as always is you're energy shared. :happy
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Hi Sandy. Thanks for the insights. Unfortunately schizophrenia, (which I have been diagnosed with many years ago), proves to be an interesting challenge. Yes, on the one hand, you have to be careful about meditation and receiving messages, because it could encourage psychosis. On the otherhand, spiritual nourishment is essential for all human beings, even schizophrenics, which is only properly received through quiet time with God. Again, doing your best to just observe your thoughts, and recognising the rubbish thoughts for what they are, eventually becomes an ordinary chore.

Additionally, Michael and Nebadonia, as well as our Midwayer Guides, can help us to see what is real, and what is delusion. Establishing a real connection with our Divine Parents and strengthening that over time is essential. Humour and playfulness also helps.

Cheers and love,
Dylan
Amigoo
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Amigoo »

Re: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia
A good article about speaking in tongues (glossolalia).

Since linguists have thoroughly examined this "speech" and found that language is not being communicated by any known rules and structure, another possibility remains: that which is communicated is at a higher level (mind to mind?), with the "speech" just being verbal accompaniment, somewhat like music or brainwave sounds.

Rod
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Thanks for that article Rod. I found it very informative. It seems, from this article, that throughout history speaking in tongues has been recorded within various religions and spiritual organizations. So its occurrence isn't limited to one set of beliefs. I am glad of that. :)

Dylan, what do you and other members of your church fellowship believe is happening when this occurs. What does your intuition say about this and how do you feel when this is happening? :)
I am thinking carefully ( looking from the outside in) about what Rod has mentioned. It does makes sense and in no way detracts from the beauty of the individual's experience when this occurs. :happy
Dylan wrote...
Additionally, Michael and Nebadonia, as well as our Midwayer Guides, can help us to see what is real, and what is delusion. Establishing a real connection with our Divine Parents and strengthening that over time is essential.
That is so true. And there are many ways to do that... establish a connection with our Divine parents. I see it sort of similarly as to what happened when George had a stroke, when is body began making immediately new pathways for the brains message to get through to the effected muscles. I think Divine Spirit will always find a way and sometimes so subtly that others may not observe. :)
I am happy to hear that you are managing so well. But still others may not be so accomplished and so we ( I am speaking of the admins and mods of this site) must be careful as to what we recommend and not simply assume that everyone will have the spiritual acuity to manage such spiritual practices alone. Which is why I suggested speaking with one's doctor or therapist before beginning deep spiritual practices which could excite an existing emotional or mental illness.
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Hi Guys. Here's my view:

The people at my church regard talking in tongues as a "new language". I don't quite think that's what's going on, as some people seem to ramble in the same way every time. I think more likely, what's going on is an energetic or spirit transmission, and the sounds or "language" helps to occupy the lingual/analytical centres so the transmission can take place. As for the actual sounds, I think there might be creativity going on, and something the individual develops in the personal experience with spirit. If nothing else, it might be a bit like a parent soothing a baby with their voice.

Love Dylan
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Hi Rod

I agree with what you've said about brain sounds.

Cheers,
Dylan
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Additionally:

Being musically oriented, sometimes I spontaneously improve in sounds that are Middle Eastern or Indian sounding. I don't know languages from these regions, but it still has a psycho-emotional impact on me, similiar to talking in tongues. There is similiar stuff going on in the WingMakers music.

Cheers,
Dylan
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

*improvise
Veronique
Busy Bee
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Veronique »

Coming from a Roman Catholic upbringing point of view, out of all the years that I've attended church i have not once been exposed to this speaking in tongues. If nothing else, were someone to exhibit such behavior, that someone would have promptly been stared down disapprovingly by hundreds of eyes attending the service due to the disruption of the peace and quiet. Does that mean that people in the Catholic Church don't experience being exalted to such heights? or is speaking in tongues merely an encouraged behavior within certain churches? I don't know.

My two cents/sense :mrgreen:
Véronique
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

I think some churches accept it and some don't. At my church there is a particular time in each service where people exercise the gifts. People do murmur through the service.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Veronique, I grew up and attended a Lutheran church for much of my life and the same thing would have occurred there had someone begun speaking in tongues in the middle of the service. :) People would have been completely flabbergasted. :shock: Yet I don't think we were without spiritual enlightenment or nurturing do you? We simply "raised the cone of spiritual power" differently. For instance, one of the most moving parts of the service for me was just before Holy communion and the words spoken touched my heart on such a deep level. I could feel Spirit all around us and there was love amongst us. Leaving the service I often felt refreshed and Light. A sure sign we were definitely getting something wonderful. :sunflower:

But I admit, the service as I knew it might have bored some to tears. And even though this was not a part of my upbringing, I feel singing, dancing and glorifying the Lord with movement is just as blessed. :bana: I have always been a bit conservative by nature but would dearly love to taste that freedom of liberation. ;) :sunflower: Well, I'm not dead yet, eh? Time to throw off my spiritual reins a bit and allow this "ole horse" to really run a time or two. ;)

Love,
Sandy
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Many years ago, a mother and daughter who are both good mediums, asked this question of spirit at about the same time. They got interesting but different answers.

One answer was that it is possible if a large inflowing of Divine Energy is received, that the brain can scramble.

The other answer is that its also common for low level spirit to do this, because they think its hilarious.

hugs
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Interesting Geoff!
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Update on Talking with Tongues:

Over the last few weeks I have experienced more of tongues.

My realisation is that tongues is a transmission of energy, not of information; or you might say it's a transmission of heart information. Tongues is a powerful way to clear a path between your heart and your mind. It also helps the mind to shut up.

God bless!

Dylan
RunningScroll
Family

Post by RunningScroll »

Hi 1111ers

I've been having more experiences with Talking in Tongues, and been having more spontaneous and powerful events. There is a powerful current here, I think , connected to the Holy Spirit. These spontaneous 'ramblings' release an energy into the spiritual system which can overcome negativity and undivine things resident in the body and mind. I recommend seeking for this experience.

Regards,
Dylan