Jesus for the non-religious

Discussions of spiritual books
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Jesus for the non-religious

Post by Geoff »

This is the latest book by ex-bishop John Shelby Spong.

I really expected to enjoy this book. Afterall I enjoyed the book "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. But I did not.

It is instructive how one can tear the Bible apart, if one knows enough, and has a mind to. There is really nothing much left after he finishes, and I just could not get myself to finish this book, which is very unusual for me. I was frankly bored, and found his journey too lacking in light. I guess a guy who has never experienced a miracle in his entire life is bound to be a bit lack lustre? So, sadly I never discovered what his new Christianity might be about. Me thinks he would be better off reading one of the newer relevations, because they would at least fit part of the puzzle he carries with himself.

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Mathew
Busy Bee
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by Mathew »

Hi Geoff,

I read John Shelby Spong's "The Sins of Scripture" a year ago and felt so sad for the man -- I seem to recall he had an extreme distortion with respect to the power of prayer (he didn't believe in it, as I recall) nor did he believe in the supernatural. Although I was very interested in reading a book written by a distinguished ex-Bishop, it left me feeling very disappointed. On a brighter note, though, I have recently discovered the web site of former Presbyterian Minister John W. Sloat (http://www.beyondreligion.com/su_about/index.html). I was very encouraged by the tone of his website in so far as openly recognizing and talking about the need for reform within the Christian church. He has written a few books, the latest one is called "A Handbook for Heretics" It looks very interesting. If anyone has read it, please do tell...

Love,

Mathew
Place yourself amidst an ocean of love and you will drift without effort to the land of your dreams.