J. Allen Boone - "Kinship With All Life"

Discussions of spiritual books
Welles
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

J. Allen Boone - "Kinship With All Life"

Post by Welles »

I was introduced to J. Allen Boone’s writings forty years ago and was entranced by the simple lesson contained within Kinship and his other writings. The concept was simple. Achieve an inner quiet and you can learn to communicate with animals, indeed with all living beings. That simple message was to be reinforced many times over the years as a technique of communication with all aspects of creation, both lesser and greater beings.

A few years after being introduced to his technique of communicating with animals I had my first opportunity to try a direct experiment. I was living in a remote area. My nearest neighbor was a couple of miles away. One day while I was working in my garden I experienced an intense pain in the solar plexus. Hunched over, my inner PDR went into overdrive. Appendicitis, I wondered? Out of the corner of my eye I saw a small motion and there was a five-foot rattlesnake beginning to coil into a defensive position. It was only a few feet away.

I froze and slowly moved away. When ten feet separated us the intense pain in my middle began to subside. I moved back until it was totally gone. That was about fifteen feet away. The snake uncoiled and stretched out in the sun drenched irrigation trench. I was stunned. My reading of "Kinship With All Life" provided a framework to understand what had happened and suggested an experiment. Following his advice, I recovered my poise and achieved a state of inner quiet. I cast a thought toward the snake. With classic brilliance I asked, “What are you doing here?” Then I just stood quietly and shortly a distinct feeling came back at me that translated into the thought, “I’m just sitting here in the sun. What does it look like, dummy?”

Sure enough that snake was just sitting there in the sun. I did feel a bit stupid but the wonder of communication with such a creature so directly was thrilling. As time went I discovered that the pain I first felt would come back whenever I was getting too close and unconscious of that snake's location. We became well acquainted and over that summer I could frequently be found sunning myself happily within ten feet or so of a big old rattler. It was nice to have the company.

For people who love animals "Kinship with all Life" might be an excellent introduction to a practical technique of a sort of basic spiritual communication. You can find lots more about J. Allen Boone and his best known dog, Strongheart, in a number of places on the internet including Wikipedia. His books are available from Amazon.com.
happyrain
Family

Re: J. Allen Boone - "Kinship With All Life"

Post by happyrain »

good morning welles ! or afternoon- whatever time it might be
haha i liked the snakes response
thank you for the book recommendation, i'll look into it
interesting to me, the symbolism of the snake as a totem and the correlation between its meanings and your actions and experience
here check this out
http://www.linsdomain.com/totems/pages/snake.htm
http://www.whats-your-sign.com/snake-sy ... aning.html

i do find it hard to be still with my dog though... at times :sword: :cheese:

welcome to the forum btw !

thanks !
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
sammy

Post by sammy »

Welles! Fascinating and brilliant! Now if we could only do that with the human "threats" in this world!

LOVE!!!!
Sammy
Love is a daily decision ~ Mom & Daddy John
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Dear Welles,
As someone who talks to animal and plant life all the time, I am very excited to read this book recommendation. I don't even think twice about it any more just chatter away to everything from snails to the Willy Wag Tail ( an Aussie bird) who treats me as his own pet herd cow as I stir up the insects when I mow. I never take the time though to "listen" to them and I would love to do this. I have asked George for a very early birthday present...and he has so kindly obliged. So in about 3-4 weeks it should arrive. :sunflower: Thank you!
XX Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Happyrain,

Thanks for the welcome and those two links. I must admit that I don't have a propensity to interpret natural events with abstract meaning. The level of communication was the meaning for me. However reading the two sites you linked was an interesting sort of Rorschach test. I preferred the feel of the first site and its content in preference to the second.
:)

Sammy,
sammy wrote: Now if we could only do that with the human "threats" in this world!

That would be nice... someday it will won't be necessary.

Sandy,

I believe you won't be disappointed. I found J. Allen Boone's work thrilling and engrossing. While I haven't mastered his teaching to the degree of his mastery, I learned a valuable technique that I've used on occasion with people too. It works.

Cheers,
Welles
happyrain
Family

Post by happyrain »

:hithere Welles
you're right =) by sending those links i only wished to highlight some things that i thought linked with your experience and your personality. the message from the snake was direct and how beautiful is it for you or anyone to receive and understand so clearly. i am glad though you had fun =) i hope to read the book as well
thank you for your thoughts. :loves
Fear grips when Love falls short of Infinity
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Welles,
I've finished the book and can't recommend it enough. It has changed me for the better in some "hard to point a finger on" way. I am thinking more about the interrelationship between humans, animals plants and even minerals. The last bit, the minerals, is something I have been enjoying the past few years after talks with our Michele who has graciously shared her knowledge, appreciation and kinship felt with the crystals she often uses in her healing work.
I was just explaining the book to my son this morning, who I must say probably thinks his mom is ready for a straight jacket. :lol: But I tried to get the concept across in terms he might understand so I told him it is like in the movies, “The Force” (God) is in and around everything that exists. By recognizing this and abiding with this energy that bridges thoughts and language and purpose amongst all things we can live more enlightened happy and productive lives while at the same time freeing the "empire" from the negative effects of "The Emperor" or perhaps evolutionary human barbarity. Well something like that. Happily, I think he is going to read it. :finger: Hope so.
On a personal experience note... as I said, I have been talking to life for a year or so. But I am now seeing our “fellow earth inhabitants in a whole different light...recognizing that the spiders who have entered my home are equal and filled with important knowledge and wisdom. It isn't about compassion anymore so much as friendship. Does that make any sense?
Well, at any rate, I am reading it all over again as I have a tendency to rush through books the first time and there is much this time around I want to think more carefully on.
Do you have any of the other J. Allen Boone books?
Thank you for posting your recommendation for “Kinship With All Life”. It has been one of those books that has been important for my own spiritual path. :cheers:
Love,
Sandy
For those of you who have read the book, you may be interested in these two URL that depict one of the books inspiring characters.
This is Strongheart...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8rEpXcAG0E

http://voices.yahoo.com/strongheart-ger ... 26639.html

http://projects.latimes.com/hollywood/s ... rongheart/
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Sandy wrote:I was just explaining the book to my son this morning, who I must say probably thinks his mom is ready for a straight jacket. But I tried to get the concept across in terms he might understand so I told him it is like in the movies, “The Force” (God) is in and around everything that exists. By recognizing this and abiding with this energy that bridges thoughts and language and purpose amongst all things we can live more enlightened happy and productive lives while at the same time freeing the "empire" from the negative effects of "The Emperor" or perhaps evolutionary human barbarity. Well something like that.

Excellent description for someone who has the Star Wars mythology in their cultural base.
Sandy wrote:But I am now seeing our “fellow earth inhabitants in a whole different light...recognizing that the spiders who have entered my home are equal and filled with important knowledge and wisdom. It isn't about compassion anymore so much as friendship. Does that make any sense?

Totally. Friendship adds the emotional clarity of good will toward other beings, lesser and greater.
Sandy wrote:Do you have any of the other J. Allen Boone books?

I read J.Allen Boone's work the early 1970's. It was such an illumination that I inhaled everything I could find. I think there were three or four books, "Kinship With All Life," "You Are the Adventure!" and "Letters to Strongheart" I remember specifically. Each was inspiring and yet they all come back to the basic lesson of inner stillness.
Sandy wrote:Thank you for posting your recommendation for “Kinship With All Life”. It has been one of those books that has been important for my own spiritual path. :cheers:

I'm glad it was valuable for you, Sandy. It surely was for me.
Sandy wrote:For those of you who have read the book, you may be interested in these two URL that depict one of the books inspiring characters.
This is Strongheart...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8rEpXcAG0E

http://voices.yahoo.com/strongheart-ger ... 26639.html

http://projects.latimes.com/hollywood/s ... rongheart/

Good links, Sandy. Thank you! I'd never seen a Strongheart clip before.

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I'm glad you enjoyed the short video. He was an amazing screen actor! Can you imagine, from that one attack scene, starring against him in a villain role? :shock: Wow! It would take great faith in this dog's wisdom not to fear for life and limb. But it sounds like he was a dog that instilled trust even if you weren't as adept at understanding his thoughts as was J Allen Boone...unless of course you had something sneaky to hide.
I so enjoyed the chapters about Freddie the fly too... awesome! Almost cried at the end of the book when little Freddie left in "golden glory".
Love,
Sandy
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Sandy wrote:
I so enjoyed the chapters about Freddie the fly too... awesome! Almost cried at the end of the book when little Freddie left in "golden glory".

Me too. I,ve spent the occasional odd moment trying to experiment with insects to no avail. Oh well... :duh

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi Welles,
Well this may be my imagination...but twice now and with flies I have tried with what may be limited "one way" success. We had a fly in our house last week end and after reading about Freddie the Fly there is no more whacking them, of course. :D My mother will think I am crazy but I see them as precious now. Anyway, my fly was on the window screen by the back door for the longest time. So I talked to him a bit both vocally and mentally and told him I was sure he would be much happier outside where there was so much more room to fly. I promised him I wouldn't hurt him but if he would just step onto my finger I would take him outside. So he allowed me to put my finger right beside him but would not step up and side stepped my finger if I touched him. But he didn't leave and I thought that was something at least. So I explained to him about my large insect moving jar I keep under the sink. I told him it wouldn't hurt but I was going to put him in there and take him out where he would be free... I had no trouble surprisingly, scooping him up and letting him go about his way.

The second fly landed on my chest while I was watching the birds outside. I looked down and told him (or her :oops: ) that I had no problem with that as long as she didn't land on my face or tickle my hand with her little feet. I talked for about thirty seconds and because it was so close I could see it react to my breath and my voice. It wound up just flying away and I wasn't bothered by other flies the whole time I was outside.

However, I haven't had any success with mosquitos or mozzies as they are known here. It is years of conditioning to slap first when surprised I guess. And I am too "antsy" when I see them flying about to probably seem anything more then a potential meal. :lol:

But persistence and patience may be the key...I need to practice this way of thinking because it is easy to slip back into the human "King of the Hill" mode. All in all I am very excited about what I am learning so far. I still am, of course, miles away from two way communication.
But anything is possible in this world and I am not giving up. :sunflower:
:loves
Sandy
Hmmm... Roaches will be my biggest test. I hate to admit this but I am almost terrified of them. :roll: Silly cause they don't bite or anything...it is the way they scurry around and how fast they can move. Can you see me trying to scoop up one of those super sonic carry you off kind of cockroaches they have here? I will definitely need a bigger jar! :shock: :lol:
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

I'd say you're on the right path with fly experimentation, Sandy. In experiments like that we seldom get dramatic results right off. It seems to me you have enough positive indicators to continue the research. I've only been totally successful in a few cases but talking with other life was my way of looking at someone else's spiritual path. Although my own lies in different directions, experientially recognizing the validity of J. Allen's discoveries was thrilling.

Roaches, eh? We don't have those little critters where I live. In fact we have relatively so few insects that I can live with screen-free windows, some open nearly year round. (I do like all the different seasonal critters that fly through my little cabin throughout the year.) For the couple of months when there are a few mosquitoes in the evenings I turn myself into a stinkbug with some eucalyptus based repellent that actually works. I've never developed the will to let those little suckers have their way with me. :)
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Welles sent me this amazing video yesterday and as I watched it I couldn't help but be reminded of this book, "A kinship With All Life."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... 1VqPOIYqdU

It is a very joyful video... but what really caused me to stand up and take notice was when the woman says in explanation of the shared journey she and this moray eel have travelled together...That one day as she was "chatting” with her, after years of attempts to create friendship, the eel suddenly swam out and began swimming through her legs, nuzzling her face and allowing touch and strokes of acceptance. I am thinking, that with a dive mask covering her face, the “chatting” would more than likely be felt "mindally" or “heart felt” rather then necessarily verbally. So cool!!! “There is no doubt in my mind that this eel really likes this woman!”
And so, we can ask ourselves, why? I don’t think it is because of food rewards...not at all in this case... But probably something much greater and far reaching... real love, acceptance and friendship between differing species. :happy

Love,
Sandy
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

This is another interesting account of a sense of kinship between a particular animal, in this case a deadly Leopard seal, and man.
http://gizmodo.com/5405892/national-geo ... opard-seal
xxSandy
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Whoa! That's a fabulous story. I'm constantly amazed by the lengths to which great photographers go to get their shots.

Have a penguin! :duh

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

I know!!! Can you imagine....hearing the words..."That's the biggest leopard seal I've ever seen"...and then still putting on your wet suit and slipping into the water????? :shock: :lol:
XX Sandy
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Here's another Kinship story...

Deep Intellect —Inside the mind of the octopus

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/ ... icle/6474/

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Loved it! Thanks Welles. :D
Sandy
AthenaGrey
Busy Bee

Post by AthenaGrey »

Hi Welles!

I absolutely will get this book. Over the last couple of years, and the last few months in particular, this idea of a "Kinship with all Life" has really become a driving factor for me. I've had a relationship with my bees and hummingbirds specifically for a long time, but I had to leave them when we moved recently. Leaving everything behind - the bees, the hummingbirds, the plants - everything I helped feed or grow or encourage in life - left a big hole. Now, I'm finding that even though most of the bugs I've seen in my new home are scorpions and spiders (shiver) I'm "feeling" them too in a way I never would have thought before. Killing them actually makes me sad, and I find I feel their terror just before my shoe drops. So I am working on escorting them back outside to do their life thing. I am happy to report that I have a couple of hummingbirds that have taken up residence in my yard, and we are slowly building a relationship. They are at least quite appreciative of the food (both nectar and lots of bugs) I provide for them :lol:

I caught one of my lizards on my porch a couple of months ago. He was trying to find a quiet, dark spot to wait out the hot day. I saw him and asked him if he would let me pick him up. That lizard stopped his rooting around, walked calmly over to my hand, and crawled up onto my shoulder like a parrot. He sat there for about a minute, surveying the world from up high, then must've decided that I didn't afford any better cooling than the walls of my house and shimmied down the back of my shirt to go back to his rooting for a hiding place. Silly lizard totally floored me!

You say you have trouble "communicating" with insects. I find that insects have become some of my most ardent communicators, but it helps to understand what their needs are. By building a home for them - with plants, flowers, mulch, sunlight and shade - you create a paradise for them to reside and flourish, and personally I think that makes communication more open. That being said, I still haven't figured out how to tell the "Mosquitos" to go suck someone else's blood :P
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Hi AthenaGrey, :hithere

AthenaGrey wrote:I absolutely will get this book. Over the last couple of years, and the last few months in particular, this idea of a "Kinship with all Life" has really become a driving factor for me. I've had a relationship with my bees and hummingbirds specifically for a long time, but I had to leave them when we moved recently. Leaving everything behind - the bees, the hummingbirds, the plants - everything I helped feed or grow or encourage in life - left a big hole. Now, I'm finding that even though most of the bugs I've seen in my new home are scorpions and spiders (shiver) I'm "feeling" them too in a way I never would have thought before. Killing them actually makes me sad, and I find I feel their terror just before my shoe drops. So I am working on escorting them back outside to do their life thing. I am happy to report that I have a couple of hummingbirds that have taken up residence in my yard, and we are slowly building a relationship. They are at least quite appreciative of the food (both nectar and lots of bugs) I provide for them :lol:

it seems to me that you have a profound connection to nature. That's lovely!

AthenaGrey wrote:I caught one of my lizards on my porch a couple of months ago. He was trying to find a quiet, dark spot to wait out the hot day. I saw him and asked him if he would let me pick him up. That lizard stopped his rooting around, walked calmly over to my hand, and crawled up onto my shoulder like a parrot. He sat there for about a minute, surveying the world from up high, then must've decided that I didn't afford any better cooling than the walls of my house and shimmied down the back of my shirt to go back to his rooting for a hiding place. Silly lizard totally floored me!

Your lizard story is exactly the kind of connection that J.Allen Boone describes. You'll inhale his observations, I predict, and find not so much anything you don't know already but it will reinforce the skills you already have.

Lizards... hah! I have a lizard meditation. Across the road from my little shack is a grove of first-growth redwoods. On the far side, placed just inside the fringe of the grove but open to a large field of native grasses, is an ancient deck that is a perfect afternoon hangout for humans and lizards. I'll go over there to read or think and, as a meditation. When I first arrive they all disappear into cracks and shadowed nooks. I'll pick a number, usually between five and ten and then I'll sit quietly until I can see that many sunning themselves on the deck around me. It's funny. They'll squabble over 'turf' and chase each other around before they settle down for a sun-drenched siesta.

AthenaGrey wrote:You say you have trouble "communicating" with insects. I find that insects have become some of my most ardent communicators, but it helps to understand what their needs are. By building a home for them - with plants, flowers, mulch, sunlight and shade - you create a paradise for them to reside and flourish, and personally I think that makes communication more open. That being said, I still haven't figured out how to tell the "Mosquitos" to go suck someone else's blood :P

Hah! Your suggestion of appreciating their needs is exactly right! My few attempts with insects have little foundation in understanding except for spiders. I've been surrounded by them forever and have no qualms about picking them up and tossing them outside. WHIST Long ago I harbored some fear of them but had a breakthrough lesson from a friend. He loved spiders and told me that if I observed them keenly I would soon observe that each of them within a given species was different. Some were great weavers. Some were klutzes. Some moved smoothly, almost gracefully. Some were jerky clods. :P I started observing them closely and sure enough he was right! Some spiders are even funny but it takes practiced observation to appreciate it.

Now mosquitos... I can wave 'em away for a while but my animal nature comes to the fore on those critters: after a while and I start swatting them. Oh well... :roll:

Welles
Welles
Family

Steve Karlin and Susie Bear http://www.dailygood.org/story/

Post by Welles »

Here is a story of an animal/human connection as strong as the one J. Allen Boone developed.

Steve Karlin and Susie Bear

http://www.dailygood.org/story/636/stev ... -anne-veh/

Welles
AthenaGrey
Busy Bee

Post by AthenaGrey »

I’ve also learned that my place is to facilitate, not to get overly directive, thinking I’m the one with the power. - Steve
That was such a powerful article! And yet, it's so funny, reading this. Yesterday afternoon I was spending yet another day chasing my sassy parrots off the ground in the living room. African greys naturally go to the ground to forage for food and to socialize, so this is a normal behavior...but while they're down there they tear up the carpet, baseboards, electric cables...etc. It has become a daily chore when they are out to keep them up on their perches, and sometimes it doesn't go my way - my spunky "Gryphon" has a serious obsession with chasing my feet. And if you think that's funny, just imagine a T-Rex in miniature running after toes. My toes are just poor, prehistoric sheep. Eek!

But yesterday the sun was streaming in and the birds were excited and playful (I'd made them some new toys) and I just couldn't keep them off the floor. So I gave up, took their toyboxes off the table and dumped them out on the floor so they could play constructively with toys and not feet or electrical cables. And then I hid some almonds in the mix. Turned out letting go of "my power" and embracing theirs made for two happy birds who played for two hours straight and I sure was their best buddy when all was said and done, judging by the kisses and snuggles I got later!

I have often said that living with parrots is like living with intelligent aliens who don't speak our language. But sometimes I just sit with my bird and try to feel him the way Steve talks about "going in deep." I imagine our hearts beating together and all my love enveloping him. I open all my sorrows and joys to him and tell him he can share his with me. What is amazing is that no matter what he is doing or where we are at that moment, if I initiate that "heart conversation" - my bird will stop and stare at me, slowly blinking his eyes, which is how he says, "I wouldn't be anywhere else for all the world right now." We tend to live on the surface of life so much as humans and we forget that they live in a deep emotional state almost constantly. What an amazing thing to feel the Spirit of another creature, and it makes me wonder what they must feel when we humans finally "get it." It's probably a similar feeling the Midwayers have for us sometimes! :lol: :bana:
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

AthenaGrey wrote: It's probably a similar feeling the Midwayers have for us sometimes! :lol: :bana:

:lol: I suspect we've all caused more than a little headbanging among our spiritual cousins. :duh The love for your parrots is palpable, AG!

Welles
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Athena,
I was excited to see you posted today. Missed the board yesterday and just getting to reading today. I love hearing about your babies and having had parrots myself before, I know how intelligent, stubborn and absolutely adorable they are at all times. Your love for your birds and their love for you comes through vividly in your writing. And it is a joy to behold!
Do they make steel toed socks? :lol: XX

Thank you Welles for posting this...Did you know that you have been part of my answered prayer? :D I had asked a question about communication with animals and presented it to my TA just as we have been encouraged to do in the celestial message, 'Search and You Will Find' and then sort of kept my eyes open for the answer. There it is!... in you posting this article and in the article itself! ...a double whammy!
Sandy
Welles
Family

Post by Welles »

Sandy wrote: There it is!... in you posting this article and in the article itself! ...a double whammy!

It's a conspiracy! :geek:

Welles