Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS

Discussions of spiritual books
theunim
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Philip Pullman's HIS DARK MATERIALS

Post by theunim »

A trilogy by Philip Pullman titled HIS DARK MATERIALS includes The Golden Compass or Northern Lights (depending on the region- for me, it was the first title since I'm in the US), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass. I started reading these books back in late intermediate school/early high school years. The author completed it sometime around when I was in high school.

I'm recommending these books because for me, they were not only fun to read but they were also stories that made me think, and I am that kind of person in general. (sometimes I have to be reminded to STOP thinking too deeply about things)

The author chose to make a number of references to other religions and those references were actually what got me to start looking up more about angels, among other things. There's many people who don't want to read this particular trilogy because Pullman's story has been described as anti-religion and obviously, that's a no-go for a lot of cultures on earth here.

Just a quick summary: it's about a very hard-headed and defiant girl named Lyra who lives in a parallel universe version of England and she finds out she has a bigger role in her life that will determine the future of many others. (I would write more but I really don't think I need to, unless I get into spoilers and I don't want to.)

I'd love to hear from others who might have been able to read them back when they were released and have a discussion, but otherwise, if you choose to pick up the books anytime in the near future, let me know and let's chat!

Love!
Oh, my friend,
all that you see of me
is just a shell,
and the rest belongs to love.

— Rumi

The pure love of one soul can offset the hatred of millions. ~ Gandhi