Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Like Water for Chocolate

Post by Geoff »

By Laura Esquivel.

ISBN 0-552-99587-8

Is this a spiritual book? Sure it is, and very glad I am to see it a number one best seller in Mexico. A story about abuse, in this case, the insistence that the youngest daughter remain single and look after her mother. Of course there are many more twists in the plot. And lots of cooking. A very unusual book. A few "psychic events" too.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
angel1111
New Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by angel1111 »

Geoff,
Did you actually read all these books????

A.
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Angela,

Sure did, in fact quite a few more I have not yet added. Between Christmas and New Year I read five books, while my sister got about a quarter through hers.

Much love,
Geoff.
angel1111
New Friend

Post by angel1111 »

..........................................................................................................

so I will call you "Geoff the walking library " from now on . :wink:
There was a time when I read several books a day.(if you can call those books)...but you don't want to know which ones :oops: :lol:
man I was a romantic one :lol:

Angela.
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Angela,

Well my tastes over the years have varied, but I don't deliberately read fiction any more. Well there are exceptions. One or two authors. I like faction actually, rather than fiction. I read a second Dan Brown book, to see if his blockbuster was a one off. My conclusion is that he must have put a lot more research into the Da Vinchi Code.

Much love,
Geoff.
wippygyp
New Friend

Post by wippygyp »

Hiya geoff,
Is the book 'Like water for Chocolate' the same as the movie? If it is I watched it about 15-20 years ago, I was only young and my (late) sister made me watch it with her - its the only subtitled movie to date that I have ever watched but it stuck in my mind, have even thought of late to try and find it again - how odd to find you guys talking about it.
Regards to the Da Vinci code, we read that at our bookclub - WOW!
I'm actually posting this message in regards to George's book, I nearly have it nailed but just read the chapter about 'Leonie', the lady that was repeatedly raped (my mind wouldn't let me read it last night and now I know why, its doing overtime!!). Last year I attended an ambulance callout to a lady that had attempted suicide. I was nervous as hell going because I have never understood it and felt it was a selfish act - until I met her. She weighed approx 200kg (heaviest person I have seen in real life) and her mother had fed her rat poison at age 9, then stabbed her in the stomach resulting in her having half of it removed. When her carer found her she has been kicked so severely in the groin that she had to have an ovary removed - and apparantly that was only the half of it! Her life truly did suck, and I actually thought for the first time EVER, that she possibly is better off dead. Her carer was the one that worried me the most, I hid behind the biggest policeman there at the time for fear of him exploding. When we finally convinced her to come to hospital I held her hand and looked her in the eyes and said that there is obviously some people not ready to say goodbye to her yet, then I cried (cleverly hidden of course). I felt she was crying out to be healed and yet I wonder (from my cushy inhabitance) it is possible to heal someone that has lived with only tradgedy all their life. Can they really learn to enjoy things that we do when they know no different? This callout has haunted me ever since, I know I could track down the address again and visit them but am afraid I might pack her up and bring her home like all the poor strays I aquired as a kid. I frequently send her love via my minds eye but really need to know if it is helping. How far can people slip into their souls before they are lost forever?
Whatever it all means, its all good, of that I am sure of.