Mutant Message Down Under - Marlo Morgan

Discussions of spiritual books
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Mutant Message Down Under - Marlo Morgan

Post by Geoff »

Strange it is that an American friend should give me this book, that I had not previously heard about, and which was a New York Times bestseller in the 90's.

My only concern with this book, was how genuine it is, as a tale. Because I was less interested in the contents, as in learning what a remote Aboriginal tribe might have to say about spiritual matters. The author claims the book as fiction, but Burnam Burnam gives it the thumbs up, which is a significant recommendation.

If this reflects the knowledge and understanding shared amongst Aborigines, before the "white fella" got here, it is they who should have been teaching the missionaries, not the other way around. I don't think there was a single concept that I could take issue with. And perhaps that should have concerned me.

I have now researched this book on the internet, and it seems it is a hoax. Sad. Read this page for a very good refutation of the book: Morgan's Mutant Fantasy
NB In 1996 a group of Aboriginal elders, incensed by this book and the damage it is doing, obtained a government grant to travel to the United States to confront Marlo Morgan and to stop a Hollywood film being made of it. They obtained a very reluctant apology from her which I heard on radio in Australia. As they represented the people of the area in which she claimed to have begun her walk across Australia she had no choice but to admit she had made the whole story up. Unfortunately this admission has gained almost no publicity in the States. For those who still listen to Morgan's message please remember it is the simply the musings of a white woman who has been fully prepared to lie and delude her admiring public.
It would seem, Marlo Morgan is a people of the lie.

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
ruthnfla
Old Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by ruthnfla »

wow, and I thought it was so very interesting to read.... I thought the people were so far ahead of us spiritually that we could learn from them some very great truth. You just never know what to think. I felt as you did when I first read it. now I am disappointed to hear it was all just made up. I have always felt sad about the way we as "americans" have treated our own native americans, and when I was in AU, I personally heard many white people make comments about the aboriginies in the same ways we use to about our own native tribes here in the US. I think that even though it was a made up story, it makes you think before you judge another people for their particular customs and spiritual processes. Thanks Geoff!
Your American Friend, Ruth
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Dear Ruth,

Yeah its sad. Sad for the deception, sad for the folks caught up, sad that the author felt the need to deceive.

love,
Geoff.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
lilaslight
Family

Post by lilaslight »

Boy, THAT is disappointing to hear. I read the Mutant Message book several years ago and really liked it. I was under the impression some of it was based on a real walkabout she did. Too bad.
Jane***
Busy Bee

Post by Jane*** »

I read this book when i was working and travelling around australia, I really did believe the author's intention to spread the message that there really is a whole different way of life that involves simply connecting with God and living in our truest form. I can't believe it was made up ...... for what purpose????? I just don't get it sometimes. Sigh.... :(
InHisSmile
New Friend

Post by InHisSmile »

I thought these words said by Marlo Morgan were very interesting and rather ironic...

"You are accountable for every word you say as well as your thoughtlessness, for every action you take or don't take.
As was once said, 'People do not remember what you said, they remember how you made them feel,' so does your Soul."

I totally agree with Chris Sitka who said...

"Marlo Morgan, you owe the Aboriginal peoples of Australia a big apology accompanied by the donation of all your considerable income from this venture to the cause of Aboriginal health and Land Rights."

It is obvious that Marlo Morgan has a long journey ahead of her.
I wish her well, and will pray for her heart to heal.

Love & Peace,
Rose
"Let Your Light Within Glow!" :sunny: