Autobiography of a Yogi

Discussions of spiritual books
MichelleP
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Post by MichelleP »

Where your basic teachings would be greatly upset, we go along with your existing belief systems. Easy does it, for you are fragile mortals.

“And yes, do understand that the Creator Himself, through the Thought Adjusters, will make many things happen to fit in with your belief structures. From us, the lowest of the Celestial Helpers, to the highest that be -- the Thought Adjusters -- we are here to guide you, and we are here to help you along, and we are here to spiritize you. We will not now, or ever, purposely upset an existing, personal belief system.
Very, very interesting. I just finished reading Illusions Adventures of A Reluctant Messiah and I just loved the last line of the book. It went along the lines paraphrasing, "Everything I have just said could be wrong." Makes you wonder.

Love,
Michelle
Maria L
Family

Post by Maria L »

Hi,
blue nova wrote: Has anyone tried to reach Paramahansa through meditation ? It's absolutely one-derful :D

Hugs,
Anne
Paramahansa Yogananda came to me while I was meditating.
I am reading his autobiography right now and he is almost always
on my mind. How could he not be. So much wisdom and so
much gentleness.

Any thoughts on this... someone?! This is all very new to me.
Maybe posted in the wrong forum. But since this happened while
reading An autobiography of a Yogi. well...

LOVE Maria :study:
Last edited by Maria L on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Dear Maria,

That is great to hear. I spent some time on a Hindu board, but realised quite quickly that can be as argumentative and pedantic as the worst fundamentalist. Somehow Yogananda always kept it simple.

This is probably the wrong place, and if too many posts are added about this topic, it will need to be moved.

love,
Geoff.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Maria L
Family

Post by Maria L »

Dear Geoff, I guess the Healing forum is a more appropriate forum for
healing issues. :D Keeping things simple is not always simple, I can see that this is what Yogananda tell us we should do.
I have read about half of the book. And will read it again.
I love the story about when he goes to Himalaya
and meet "the Sleepless Saint" who tells him that Himalayas have no monopoly on saints.
What he really need is "a little room where you can close the door and be
alone" ... to practice yoga - the road to God... after all the dreams of the Himalayas and troubles reaching them.

Love Maria
Maria L
Family

Post by Maria L »

Hi friends,
I want to share this online edition of the first edition of
An Autobiography of a Yogi

http://www.crystalclarity.com/yogananda/chap1.html
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Maria,
I often feel him around me and love reading this book....thankyou for providing the link to it.
Love lilly xxx
~ If I hurt others in any way I am also hurting myself ~
~ In the welfare of others I will find my own prosperity ~ Yogananda
Petra Wilson
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by Petra Wilson »

Hello Lilly & Maria! I'm reading this book at the moment and you've just gone and revealed that he does get to his Himalaya's! I'm at the point where he's learning about egoism with his teacher, Sri Yukteswar. It sounds glib saying it like that. I love the professor Jagadis Chandra Bose.
A great book, I must thank Anne, Sandy & Lilly for recommending it.
Pet XXX
ॐ LOVE Petra
blue nova
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by blue nova »

Hello Pet :D

i hope you enjoy his book :D poor Mukunda...couldn't sneak away could he ?

i came across this , thought you might enjoy reading....
http://hinduism.about.com/od/gurussaint ... sgurus.htm ...who knew ? :shock: :D :wink:

((Hugs))
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

Oh Anne, I want so much to read that, but it'll have to wait till Sunday. Going to view a house near Aleria, then ponse about, go for a walk, and another night on the beach.

Thank you, Pet XXXXXXXx
ॐ LOVE Petra
lilly

Post by lilly »

I'm flying over to stay on the beach with you lot......wish I wasn't kidding......think of me when you look up at the stars....
Love Always
lilly xxxx :lol: :lol:
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Beach :D :D ? can i come too ? can i can i pleeeeaaase ??? :wink:

I wish y'all the luck in the world Pet.....keepin' my fingers crossed for ya sis :finger:

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
Maria L
Family

Post by Maria L »

Hi friends,

Petra, good luck with the house hunting
You will never regret reading this book. It is a masterpiece from a literary perspective, and a firework show for a seeker... :D
If Paramahansa Yogananda ever show up when you meditate, just relax, trust him, and he will take the lead. He is an amazing teacher. Absolutely fantastic.

Anne, I searched "Sergent Pepper's lonely heart" on google images, and... yes!!! you can se the yogi on the LP cover (upper right corner, below some other pop star guy). That is so cool. Thanks again for sharing that link.

Lilly, nice to hear he is around you. :wink:

lots of love,
Maria
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Anne and Maria,
Yes it's wonderful knowing such a prescence is around us. I couldn't put my experiences in words.
Love lilly xxxx :D
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Everyone,
After reading another couple of chapters of this book, well, makes a lot of sense to be open minded to the Love and Power of our Creator. My new avatar was taken shortly before Yogananda left the physical body for the last time. He also had to learn....and he did.
Love lilly xxxx
Petra Wilson

Post by Petra Wilson »

Hello Guys, I wrote here about a very nice experience, then decided to make it a thread on the Angels in Action forum.

I knew before we set off that the house wouldn't suit. But we had a very nice half hour with the landlord. A very nice, friendly man who spoke good English.

Love, Pet XXX
ॐ LOVE Petra
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Hi Maria,
thank you for that lovely photo of Guruji ! :loves

lilly wrote:
My new avatar was taken shortly before Yogananda left the physical body for the last time.
Hi lilly,
when i first saw that photo, without reading the description below it, something inside told me that it was his last picture...something in His eyes that seems to be saying "goodbye..."

Helloo Pet,
keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you will find something soon, or, may it find you :wink:

(((Hugs)))
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Michelle wrote:
I just finished reading Illusions Adventures of A Reluctant Messiah and I just loved the last line of the book. It went along the lines paraphrasing, "Everything I have just said could be wrong." Makes you wonder.
Hi Michelle :D
another book that i must check out on amazon...thank you for mentioning it.

(((Hugs)))
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
atsguy
Family

Re:

Post by atsguy »

Geoff wrote:Well finally I came by this book, and have now finished it. It is a very remarkable book. One that every fundamentalist Christian should read, in my view. It might soften a few of them to discover that it would appear, that in the last 100 or 200 years, simple humble human beings in India have

walked on water
materialised complete meals on plates
healed amazing injuries, not just sticking back ears on
lived for over 50 years without food or water
turned up in more than one place at the time - created a second body to run an errand
read minds with no difficulty
fortell the future
moved their physical body a great distance, and returned it after some hours.
moved others a great distance and brought them back
materialised a physical body after death, and after the first one has been disposed of

So, basically everything that Jesus was claimed to have done, has been done, and then some.

The only issue I have with this book, is that not surprisingly it supports the concept of reincarnation. That does not surprise me, but Yogananda has recently delivered a message where he at least has moved on from that belief. But, the bit that needs attention, IMHO, is the ascended master Babaji is credited with telling his new disciple Lahiri Mahasaya that he, Babaji has traced Lahiri Mahasaya's path from a prior lifetime, through the astral realms, until he found where he had been reborn, and then tracked his life for 33 years. Now if Babaji is a midwayer, as George suspects, he has some questions to answer, and I will be asking them.

It does not surprise me when a mortal tells of his belief in reincarnation, but when an ascended master, who seems to have been ascended some considerable time, still maintains that belief, some answers are required. One of those may well be that Babaji is not a midwayer, and is in the sixth sphere. There are ex-mortals who still cling to this belief after many thousands of years in the Morontia worlds.

This book should be read alongside the travels in Tibet by Dr. M. MacDONALD-BAYNE in Beyond the Himalayas and The Yoga of the Christ. These can be found here :Fav Books

love,
Geoff
It is becoming a big pet peeve of mine too. I have often suspected that maybe when they talk about reincarnation they are talking about thought adjusters, and them indwelling other mortals. But that too brings about many questions and inconsistency.

There is also an amazing section in the book, CHAPTER 43 The Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar

http://reluctant-messenger.com/yogananda/chapter_43.htm

You can read it from the post above, Sri Yukteswar gives a really detailed account on the mansion worlds. And i am guessing that the casual worlds are the celestial higher realms beyond the 6th and 7th mansion worlds. Still he mentions reincarnation..sighhh why oh why!
”Most of all, because we have seen and lived so much of what was wrong, we know so much better what is right.”
http://1111angels.net/old_files/E_Archives/list268.htm

1) http://theimmortalpath.com
2) https://new-birth.net
blue nova

Re:

Post by blue nova »

atsguy wrote:
It is becoming a big pet peeve of mine too. I have often suspected that maybe when they talk about reincarnation they are talking about thought adjusters, and them indwelling other mortals. But that too brings about many questions and inconsistency.
There is also an amazing section in the book, CHAPTER 43 The Resurrection of Sri Yukteswar

You can read it from the post above, Sri Yukteswar gives a really detailed account on the mansion worlds. And i am guessing that the casual worlds are the celestial higher realms beyond the 6th and 7th mansion worlds. Still he mentions reincarnation..sighhh why oh why!
:hithere

i believe in reincarnation....i understand that some do not. i do not let differences in beliefs bother me...nor do i debate the subject. however, i will try to answer your wonderment....i am not replying to your post to open/start a debate about the subject.

they believe in a soul....a direct spark of god. just as the physical body is a direct 'piece' or product of it's human parents...so is the soul a direct 'piece' or product of god. this soul...will enter a human while in uterus. it lives it's life....and when the soul is ready, it will then leave the body. it will do this again and again. that, is reincarnation. multiple incarnations of body.

a soul...is consciousness. it by itself...does not have a hard , or physical body until it incarnates into one.

_/\_

(((Hugs)))
anne

~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Geoff »

blue nova wrote:i believe in reincarnation....i understand that some do not. i do not let differences in beliefs bother me...nor do i debate the subject. however, i will try to answer your wonderment....i am not replying to your post to open/start a debate about the subject.

they believe in a soul....a direct spark of god. just as the physical body is a direct 'piece' or product of it's human parents...so is the soul a direct 'piece' or product of god. this soul...will enter a human while in uterus. it lives it's life....and when the soul is ready, it will then leave the body. it will do this again and again. that, is reincarnation. multiple incarnations of body.

a soul...is consciousness. it by itself...does not have a hard , or physical body until it incarnates into one.

_/\_

(((Hugs)))
anne

Dear Anne,

The essential differences, which are rather better described via James Padgett and the Ubook, is that the soul is a creation of God, but the Thought Adjuster is God. To become eternal and divine we must fuse, otherwise we simply cannot reach our potential. The only problem with a "serious" belief in reincarnation, is that it has the chance/probability of misdirecting the spiritual focus of the being, so that it does not seek fusion. Ironically however, most of those from a Hindu background certainly would seek fusion, IMHO.

love,
Geoff
Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Geoff »

atsguy wrote:It is becoming a big pet peeve of mine too. I have often suspected that maybe when they talk about reincarnation they are talking about thought adjusters, and them indwelling other mortals. But that too brings about many questions and inconsistency.

Well they may be. But as the Astral Planes are yet another "reality" its possible that those are also in the picture. I forget now the names given in the Hindu descriptions, but they are hard to relate to Ubook/Padgett terminology.

love,
Geoff
blue nova

Re: Autobiography of a Yogi

Post by blue nova »

((( Geoff ))) :hithere

if i am understanding correctly....then t/a and soul....are same thing ( ? )...different labels (?) or veryvery similar anyway :loves except that soul has forgotten about god, and t/a has not. (?)

:sunflower:

souls/consciousness. 'we were created in his image'....i believe meaning we are exact duplicates or copies of god ( like he put himself into a copy machine and ran a bunch of copies of himself, the copies being us/souls). then one day we left or went away from god....fell from the garden of eden , aka seprated from god, forgot about him/her and went into body. god left our reality-consciousness...and we keep going into body because that is the reality we got used to, being body-body consciousness. . when body would die....soul-consciousness would return into body again.. this is reincarnation. then one day....soul starts to remember god again,,,,when god becomes souls reality, or regains god consciousness, it will lose the body consciousness and will no longer return body after death, it will stop incarnating ( stops reincarnation 'loop') and anchors itself into god again....back to eden soul goes.

that's my understanding anyway,.,,, :D ;) i hope that made sense, i am only on my first cup-o-java this morning..... ;)

one thing i would like to mention.....are the similarities of religions/beliefs/ written texts...like u book and gita and bible....the things in common they have....is that they all say or believe there is a creator/higher being....and that we all 'need' to get back to creator (t/a), or to remember the creator (soul)......

we are all god's/creator's children.....let these similarities create unity between us.....do not let the differences divide.

:loves & (((Hugs)))
anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

blue nova wrote:if i am understanding correctly....then t/a and soul....are same thing ( ? )...different labels (?) or veryvery similar anyway :loves except that soul has forgotten about god, and t/a has not. (?)
Dear Anne,

No a TA and a soul are very very very different. But, if we work at it, we can raise the level of the soul, close enough that fusion can occur. The soul is US, the TA is God. Well, a portion that has been separated from him some sense, yet still is "one with". The TA is not a time space creature. It resides in eternity, and knows the future. Our soul does not, but often is given this info by the TA.

If a human refuses to fuse, the TA goes off and gets another baby human soul to train. And the original soul then has no path to divinity, unless at some far distant time, God decides to give it a second chance. But no one knows if that will occur.

love,
Geoff
sammy

Post by sammy »

Hi Geoff!

Thank you for that explanation, I finally get that part! I recall asking quite some time ago about the difference between brain, mind, soul and TA and I never quite understood; I was able to understand the difference between brain and mind, but then mind and soul sounded similar to me. Would you mind attempting to re-explain the difference between mind and soul?

LOVE!!!!
Sammy
Love is a daily decision ~ Mom & Daddy John
Geoff
Site Admin

Post by Geoff »

Dear Sammy,

Yes mind and soul as we know it now, is quite simple. There are two different explanations, and I will give you both.

The mind we use is called the material mind. It is a part of the Morontia Body that we have. The soul is that aspect of us gifted by God, containing our personality, and while it can make its presence felt, it takes very considerable spiritual development before you could remotely be considered to "operate out of soul". The midwayers describe it this way: we have mind, then mid-mind (soul) and upper mind (TA)

In the Padgett Messages it says that in the Seventh Morontia Sphere we begin to manifest a soul mind, and eventually the material mind is discarded. Because Padgett never received any info o the TA, I do myself wonder if this notion of "growing a soul mind" is entirely correct, and may be a simplification of starting to merge with the mind of the TA. But I dont know.

love,
Geoff