Autobiography of a Yogi

Discussions of spiritual books
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 0
Please type in these numbers:91294: 0

Autobiography of a Yogi

Post by reluctantmesiah »

I am about to finish reading "The Autobiography of a Yogi" by Yogananda. It is one of the best books that I have read till now and I plan to reread it after a couple of months. This book has helped me in getting answers to so many questions that I had about deeper meaning of life and spirituality. I am also deeply inspired by Yogananda's life, vision and the task assigned to him by his Gurus. Since I know about the 11:11 Phenomena now, I realize that he is still working on his vision and the task for which he was chosen by his Gurus.

Another good book that I have finished reading is "Who will cry when you die" by Robin Shrama the Author of "the monk who sold his ferrari". The book contains some practical lessons on how to lead a more spiritual and fulfilling life by leading a life full of love, compassion and inner strength. A life which will touch and help people not only when you are alive, but also when you are gone from this world - thus leaving behind a true legacy.
joshua291185
Family

Post by joshua291185 »

hi there,
thats interesting, i just bought "autobiography of a yogi" yesterday. i read it about 9 years ago when i was about 21 and it blew my mind at the time. also i returned to the library yesterday a book called "man's eternal quest." this is a book of collected speeches by paramahansa yogananda to his self realization fellowship mostly in encinitas. it covers a lot of subjects from ghosts to breaking bad habits and as you know yoganandas speaking and writing style are both eloquent and easy to understand. also, if you liked that book you will probably enjoy "the tibetan book of living and dying" by sogyal rinpoche.

love, joshua

p.s. i will check out the book by shrama.
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend

Hi Joshua,

Wow..9 years ago..I wish I knew about this book earlier. Actually I came to know about Yogananda only after coming to this forum and then when I went to a mall in a neighboring town I came across a bookstore selling his books. The bookstore owner there recommended this book for starters.

"man's eternal quest." sounds interesting - I will read that next. Yes, you are right about his writing being easy to understand and eloquent.

I have heard about "the tibetan book of living and dying" from a few people but never got a chance to read it. Thats now a part of my list too. Thanks for the recommendations.

Regards,

Raj
joycie_mw
Busy Bee

Post by joycie_mw »

hey guys... autobiography of a yogi is definitely a grrreat one. i definitely second (or is it third by now) the recommendation of it. actually, i became a student of paramhansa yogananda's srf lessons after reading it.

:loves
joyce
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend

Hi Joyce,

Are you still taking Paramhansa yogananda's srf lessons?

Also, Yogananda has mentioned Kriya yoga at several times in the book and has explained it very briefly..did you learn that too? I am very keen to learn this liberating yoga technique.

Love

Raj
joycie_mw
Busy Bee

Post by joycie_mw »

hey raj, i sent you a pm....check your inbox and please let me know if u get it!

hugs,
joyce
blue nova
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Post by blue nova »

"The Yoga of Jesus" is wonderful...."The Second Coming of Christ".....I'm reading now (autobiography too), such a breath of fresh air :D :D

I'm really interested in the lessons too Raj....I have the envelope almost ready to go... :wink: I can't wait to learn more about Kriya techniques.

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend

Hi Anne,
I can't wait to learn more about Kriya techniques.
me too! :D

Love Raj
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

"man's eternal quest." this is a book of collected speeches by paramahansa yogananda to his self realization fellowship mostly in encinitas. it covers a lot of subjects from ghosts to breaking bad habits and as you know yoganandas speaking and writing style are both eloquent and easy to understand.
This book is next on my list....thank you for mentioning it Joshua :D

Has anyone tried to reach Paramahansa through meditation ? It's absolutely one-derful :D

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Anne,
When I was working in a sometimes volatile environment, I did ask for him to help me, I kept his little books in my handbag. Many a time I received help and would often see 333 right around that time, too.
Love lilly xx :D
~ If I hurt others in any way I am also hurting myself ~
~ In the welfare of others I will find my own prosperity ~ Yogananda
lilly

Post by lilly »

One of Yogananda's helpers was asked by him to write down some of his lectures or talks. He was a little taken aback as he didn't know shorthand.
Quite soon after he acquired the gift of being able to remember every word that Yogananda spoke, making it very easy for him. Isn't that wonderful. Love lilly xxx
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Good morning Lilly :sunny:

I keep his little book of meditations in my purse :D Wonderful affirmations too, my soul soars when I read his words, it's hard for me not to lose my self in stillness :wink: I've had some wonderful meditations stem from reading his books.

I just received "Man's Eternal Quest"....oh my...I cannot put it down...
*** happy tears *** .
Many a time I received help and would often see 333 right around that time, too.
Me too, in fact just the other day that happened.
Quite soon after he acquired the gift of being able to remember every word that Yogananda spoke, making it very easy for him. Isn't that wonderful.
It sure is Lilly.
There are times when I sit, close my eyes and imagine what it would've been like to be able to be so close to him and then this thought always comes, " I am with you, now and always"....

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
artguys
New Friend

Post by artguys »

28 years ago my future wife and I were traveling through central Asia. We spent three months in India and it is safe to say that we were perpetually overwhelmed with life in India.

As we travelled, I was reading the Mahabarata, the Ramanyana and the Upanishads. The extremely archaic nature of the writings made them difficult to decipher. But they did shed some light on the Hindu pantheon and the broad expanse of stories surrounding the various gods.

About two and a half months into our journey through India I started reading Pramahansa Yogananda's autobiography. The lights, apparently, began to come on in my head. At the time, I was much more a student than a real believer in religion. As well, I was using religion to assign more meaning to the wonderful art I was seeing in temples and on the streets.

Yogananda's writing is friendly, engrossing, straight forward and certainly informative.

We entered Nepal and settled into Katmandu for a month or so. During that time I was a frequent visitor to the Buddhist stupas in the valley of Katmandu.

One day I was sitting, thinking in the temple of Swayambodnath (also called the monkey temple). Here I experienced a crystalization of thought. It was here, at that moment, that I realized that the world was part of a divine pattern, an over-controlling order from somewhere. I realized that God was real and alive in everything.

I credit the wonderful and friendly writings of Yogananda for helping to open my mind to the reality of divinity. I would encourage anyone to read this enjoyable and enlightening book.

William

p.s. Someone asked about being in touch with the spirit of Yogananda. Let me offer this transcript for your consideration: http://www.tmarchives.com/transcript_frames.php?tid=561
It is my prayer that the maturing relationship between human beings, God and our home in space will continue to strengthen and all of us will embrace the extraordinary Divine Love being offered.
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Anne,
I too have been comforted many times by his gentle spirit. I feel such a strong and reassuring feeling of pure Love which emanates from his face. Have that little blue book, metaphysical meditations and a couple of others. There is a self realization centre in the city somewhere I've been meaning to go to real soon. Thankyou Anne for the reply. Happy reading. :loves
Hi William,
That was a lovely post and an incredible experience to have. Nice to meet you.
Love lilly :D
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend

I have started reading "The second coming of Christ" and am finding it amazing! I have not been able to read much of it..but whatever I have read so far is so good that it is just indescribable. Just want to take a week off and go to a quiet place to savor this book.

I am also about to finish reading "Angel Therapy" by Doreen Virtue - another amazing book.
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.

- Mother Teresa
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Good morning family,

March 7...our beloved brother Paramahansa went Home today back in 1952.

My thoughts are with you today big brother....thank you for being here for us. Thank you for holding our hands.

Big hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

Hello William :hithere it's good to see you bro.

You're trip sounds amazing ! I'm glad you were able to experience India, I'd love to visit there someday, other than astrally... :wink:

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
reluctantmesiah
Old Friend

Hi Anne,

I saw your message on 7th of March being the day on which Yogananda went home. I remembered him too and saw the no. sequence 333 a couple of times yesterday. You know I am so thankful that I came to know about Yogananda and got an opportunity to read his work. I could have just lived my life without even being aware of him - my heart is filled with gratitude because of this. I am also thankful that God guided me in doing some good Karmas in the past which might be the reason why I got an opportunity to know about Yogananda.

The other day I went to one of my prayer group member's house for a prayer session and saw Yogananda, Babaji, Lahri Mahasaya and Shri Yukteshwar's pictures in their prayer room. I was so happy to physically visit someone who regarded Yogandana their Guru too. They told me that their father practices Kriya Yoga and he visits them over the weekend and goes to a yoga center in this town. They told me that I could come over to their place the next time he is there. I am so excited to meet someone who has been practicing Kriya Yoga!

Love

Raj
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.

- Mother Teresa
lilly

Post by lilly »

Hi Anne,
Yogananda, the Love radiating from his face was so heartwarming. All his work remains to help us move towards enlightenment. He is in my thoughts every day. Love lilly xxxxxx :loves
blue nova

Post by blue nova »

The other day I went to one of my prayer group member's house for a prayer session and saw Yogananda, Babaji, Lahri Mahasaya and Shri Yukteshwar's pictures in their prayer room. I was so happy to physically visit someone who regarded Yogandana their Guru too. They told me that their father practices Kriya Yoga and he visits them over the weekend and goes to a yoga center in this town. They told me that I could come over to their place the next time he is there. I am so excited to meet someone who has been practicing Kriya Yoga!
How wonderful Raj :D :D I bet the energy in that home is soooo refreshing ! I hope you are able to meet with them.

Lilly wrote:
He is in my thoughts every day
Mine too sis.

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
SheraX
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by SheraX »

I must get his book,sounds great.
Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth.
blue nova

Paramahansa

Post by blue nova »

Hello Heather....you may want to check out his book called "Man's Eternal Quest"...ahhh....food for the soul. :wink:

Hugs,
Anne
~*~* Live in Om! *~*~
.. ~Swami Rama Tirtha~
SheraX
Family
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46372
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91284

Post by SheraX »

:batman: :afro:

Just felt as if I should have deleted...all good. :lol:
Conquer the angry man by love.
Conquer the ill-natured man by goodness.
Conquer the miser with generosity.
Conquer the liar with truth.
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Well finally I came by this book, and have now finished it. It is a very remarkable book. One that every fundamentalist Christian should read, in my view. It might soften a few of them to discover that it would appear, that in the last 100 or 200 years, simple humble human beings in India have

walked on water
materialised complete meals on plates
healed amazing injuries, not just sticking back ears on
lived for over 50 years without food or water
turned up in more than one place at the time - created a second body to run an errand
read minds with no difficulty
fortell the future
moved their physical body a great distance, and returned it after some hours.
moved others a great distance and brought them back
materialised a physical body after death, and after the first one has been disposed of

So, basically everything that Jesus was claimed to have done, has been done, and then some.

The only issue I have with this book, is that not surprisingly it supports the concept of reincarnation. That does not surprise me, but Yogananda has recently delivered a message where he at least has moved on from that belief. But, the bit that needs attention, IMHO, is the ascended master Babaji is credited with telling his new disciple Lahiri Mahasaya that he, Babaji has traced Lahiri Mahasaya's path from a prior lifetime, through the astral realms, until he found where he had been reborn, and then tracked his life for 33 years. Now if Babaji is a midwayer, as George suspects, he has some questions to answer, and I will be asking them.

It does not surprise me when a mortal tells of his belief in reincarnation, but when an ascended master, who seems to have been ascended some considerable time, still maintains that belief, some answers are required. One of those may well be that Babaji is not a midwayer, and is in the sixth sphere. There are ex-mortals who still cling to this belief after many thousands of years in the Morontia worlds.

This book should be read alongside the travels in Tibet by Dr. M. MacDONALD-BAYNE in Beyond the Himalayas and The Yoga of the Christ. These can be found here :Fav Books

love,
Geoff
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.
Geoff
Site Admin
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 46373
Please type in these numbers:91294: 91294

Post by Geoff »

Well we have a somewhat ambiguous answer to our questions on this issue. But it seems that Babaji is not a midwayer, so I assume he is an ex-mortal.
“Lastly, we want to confer with you about Babaji and Mataji. Midwayers, Celestial Teachers, your local universe Parents, and indeed the Father Creator Himself, will allow each and every one of you your own personal truths. It is in the centuries and millennia to come that you will be taught and experience more and more cosmic realities, and your disparate ‘religious’ truths will therewith slowly converge. Whenever you are doubtful about a certain thing, we may perhaps advise you, one way or another. Where your basic teachings would be greatly upset, we go along with your existing belief systems. Easy does it, for you are fragile mortals.

“And yes, do understand that the Creator Himself, through the Thought Adjusters, will make many things happen to fit in with your belief structures. From us, the lowest of the Celestial Helpers, to the highest that be -- the Thought Adjusters -- we are here to guide you, and we are here to help you along, and we are here to spiritize you. We will not now, or ever, purposely upset an existing, personal belief system.

“One may be Buddhist, Hindu, Sikh, Moslem, Christian, or Pagan. It could even be said in jest that we ‘play along’ with you, but we do not disturb you. We make things happen to fit in with your beliefs, your personal truths, and we only cautiously edge you on to a greater universe reality. There’s a big difference between these two. Even the Thought Adjusters, those loving Fragments of the Creator of All, can make specific and unusual miracles happen in places where they apply. It is good for you to study other religions, for it will open up your mind to the occasional further eternal reality and a great many disparate private truths.

“This is Midwayer Chief Bzutu. I thank you for your attention and concentration. I say we did fairly well. Au revoir.”
love,
Geoff.
"Slip your hand into the hand of God and you will never walk alone"
said Chief Flaming Arrow.