Demon or Angel w/ a Warning?

A forum for asking questions and talking about angels.
4Aces
New Friend
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 39781
Please type in these numbers:91294: 52643

Demon or Angel w/ a Warning?

Post by 4Aces »

When I was about 16, I had a dream/experience that was the scariest of my life. I grew up in the Church of Christ (not LDS). I was 16, going on 17, and had not been baptized yet. I believed, but I just hadn't gone through with it. It was raging inside me, I think. The knowledge that I could be lost if I died was bothering me.

One night, I awoke in my bed, but couldn't move. I could only open my eyes. Couldn't speak. It was like one of those night terrors. I had those a few times growing up. Anyway, I awoke but didn't open my eyes right away. I felt this awful presence in my room. I didn't want to see, but I slowly opened my eyes. Hovering over me, parallel to my body, was a being that I can still see in my mind 14 years later. It was white and ethereal. It had tattered robes that were billowing like they were being blown by wind. The face was a skull with dark eye sockets and a menacing, toothy grin. Flowing back from this face, intermingled with the garments, was a white flame all around. It was like a cross between the spirit in Poltergeist that comes down the stairway and a Lost Soul from the computer game DOOM. It didn't say anything. It just opened it's mouth and screamed in my face. It was very weird. It wasn't an audible scream. It was total silence, but I could feel it screaming. I shut my eyes tight and kept repeating that it wasn't real. I tried to control my breathing until it went away. It left as quickly as it had appeared. The whole thing was over in a matter of seconds.

It wasn't long after that I was baptized. I haven't had another dream like that since.

I never really thought of it as a demon. Why would a demon warn me? It would want me to continue doing what I was doing and be lost. I figure it could have been an angel appearing as something insanely scary to try and reach me. I'm pretty slow to act. Maybe I needed a swift kick in the rear. The logical side of me says I was having a battle in my subconscious, and the truth finally came through to me and showed me what I was facing. My mind conjured something frightening by combining two things (Poltergeist and Lost Soul) that I had seen before. Either way, it was effective!
overmind
Please type in these numbers: 46373: 1111

Re: Demon or Angel w/ a Warning?

Post by overmind »

I'm pretty sure you had sleep paralysis, which is always frightening the first time. It's funny, because in a lot of cases people think they are being abducted by aliens or something. It's not rare for it to feel like there are others in the room. That being said, there are so many different kinds of beings, thought forms and egregores living in the astral plane -- in other words, beings we don't normally see that rely on cosmic energies or the morontia grid on earth -- that I could not begin to tell you what it was. I doubt it was a midwayer or any type of angel, and that is really all I can make of it. It is also possible that you created it yourself. Our thoughts are a form of energy, which can create temporary ethereal life in order to fulfill some kind of purpose (although it really depends on how you categorize life).
4Aces
New Friend

Post by 4Aces »

Although it wasn't my first episode of sleep paralysis. That's how I knew to close my eyes and breathe till it passed instead of trying to scream. But your assertion that it was created by my mind jives with the logical explanation I came up with.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hi 4Aces!
I think I am in agreement with both you and Arthur's similar assessments of where it came from. I know it wasn't a Midwayer as they are not allowed to scare us in this manner. And it seems unlikely an angel would have used this eerie form as well when in reality all they would have probably needed to do is show up in all their beauty and glory if they wanted you baptised and that would have done the trick eh? Especially, if this was weighing on your mind.
I remember Eric (happyrain ) in his first year here, talking about his episodes with sleep paralysis! Honestly, I would be scared out of my house slippers! :shock: You guys have my respect in the way you learned or knew to stay calm and to tell yourself it wasn't real...which to me seems the biggest clue when it went away that it wasn't something of "substance". Well done, and I certainly hope that you are never troubled by something of this nature ever again!
love,
Sandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
4Aces
New Friend

Post by 4Aces »

Sandy,

I have actually hypothesized about sleep paralysis quite a bit. I have come to a couple of conclusions after my own experiences and reading about others. Almost every account is when lying on your back. In nature, lying on your back makes you vulnerable. Most animals hate it, and will only do it when they are completely comfortable (cats and dogs, for instance). Our subconscious may feel more vulnerable while we're on our back and asleep. That, combined with some sort of stress, could combine to cause an episode.

Also, about 4 years ago I found out I have sleep apnea. Since I started using a cpap machine, I haven't had an episode. When you have sleep apnea, you stop breathing and your body has to wake up to get you breathing again. Some people can wake up dozens of times a minute. I'm thinking sometimes your mind may wake up completely before your body does. This is when someone can have the feeling like they're paralyzed. The horror of the situation can cause hallucinations.
Sandy
Staff

Post by Sandy »

Hey Ace,
I find what you hypothesized, fascinating! It makes so much sense out of some very scary situations! I wonder if Eric has noticed something similar. Funny thing, I don't think he experiences this anymore. I would love to know if he has changed his sleeping posture and patterns. 8)
XXSandy
“We measure and evaluate your Spiritual Progress on the Wall of Eternity." – Guardian of Destiny, Alverana.
Philip Fong
Family

Post by Philip Fong »

Hi Ace,
I've had sleep apnea only recently and was wondering why I suddenly out of breath in the middle of my sleep, maybe a sign of getting old? :D
Philip
:bike: :bike:
"Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery we are trying to solve." - Max Planck